Anybody have a phone with an AMOLED screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I hear that these phones suffer from something similar to burn in, when it's actually burn out. AMOLED stands for Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode for those who don't know. I know that the OLED screens have had this problem because the blue emitters typically die a lot faster than the red and green emitters, usually about twice as fast.There are solutions to delaying your phone from getting this problem though, just get a custom rom that can help you hide the status bar at the top. It will prevent your battery from burning out.

You can test it by downloading a Screen Test app in Google Market. Does it have any signs of burn out? Can you see things that are permanently visible whenever your phone screen is on purely blue or purely white? How long have you had the phone? Do you leave it on a dock? Have you rooted it to get rid of the status bar to keep it from burning out?
I just want to know because I was thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy Nexus sometime this week, but I don't want to have an only half usable phone before my next upgrade.

TL;DR: Does your AMOLED screen have burn out yet? How long have you had the phone? How much do you use it?

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Only smartphones I ever owned, other than the iPhone 4S was the Galaxy S Epic 4G and now the Galaxy Nexus. Both have AMOLED screens. No screen burn ins at all. Had the Galaxy S phone about a year and a half. Galaxy Nexus a few weeks now. You won't find a display as nice as the Gnex as of right now. Super crisp, large screen with vibrant AMOLED colors.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 verbtex  Moderator

Only smartphones I ever owned, other than the iPhone 4S was the Galaxy S Epic 4G and now the Galaxy Nexus. Both have AMOLED screens. No screen burn ins at all. Had the Galaxy S phone about a year and a half. Galaxy Nexus a few weeks now. You won't find a display as nice as the Gnex as of right now. Super crisp, large screen with vibrant AMOLED colors.

awptical

You even checked using the screen tests?

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Yes, I use the dead pixel test and it throws up different colors very brightly. No issues outside of the dark grey image which just barely shows residual images. But outside of that one color on this test, I've never seen it. And I consider myself to be pretty OCD about that kinda thing. Never used it on my Galaxy S but never noticed any burn in on that either. Its really a non issue. I've had a plasma TV for 2 years and even after playing MMOs from my computer on my TV for hours on end, it showed very little to no residual images. The ones that happen to show up, usually got away in about an hour of watching TV. Even then, you can't notice them unless you stick your face into the TV. Screen burnin really has been a non issue for a while now. Just my experiences.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Status bar burn-in was caused by the white status bar in Froyo. With the status bar being black in Gingerbread and ICS that has become a non-issue. As long as you have screen-timeout turned on, it's virtually impossible to get any burn-in.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 verbtex  Moderator

Thanks for the help guys, I just didn't want to be too disappointed with the phone. :)

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

My Nexus One had a nice portrait status bar burned in, back during 2.1/2.2 days when it was white. Don't even need to test it, its clearly visible in the right circumstances. The Vibrant has absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. Just don't leave white things on the screen for hours and you are fine.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 verbtex  Moderator

My Nexus One had a nice portrait status bar burned in, back during 2.1/2.2 days when it was white. Don't even need to test it, its clearly visible in the right circumstances. The Vibrant has absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. Just don't leave white things on the screen for hours and you are fine.

semianonymous

Okay. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to not leave too much white stuff on screen then.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

All display technologies with self-illuminating pixels(Plasma, CRT, OLED, etc) have issues with image retention/residual images and burn in. That said, there is no such thing as "burning out." The issues people have with OLED screens are merely image retention. It isn't permanent and goes away, just like on a Plasma tv. Also, the blue OLED subpixels last around 12,000 hours. You would need to leave the screen on for a year and a half straight at full brightness for this to affect you. My advice? Just enjoy the phone. The retention is very minor and the only way you'll see it is if you worry and look for it.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

verbtex

Okay. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to not leave too much white stuff on screen then.

Keep in mind that most devices with AMOLED based screens tend to use darker themes and colors anyways, and it'll need to literally be tens of hours before anything happens. Its honestly nothing to worry about, unless you like having black backgrounds with non-moving white splotches.