LegendofNerd is absent, so you get no new SWM today - SWM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

@swm_magazine

T H E M A G A Z I N E

October 30 to November 13 - Issue 46

FIRST IMAGE OF ALAN WAKE: NIGHT SPRINGS

Willy105:

Yes, it's only for Xbox 360. Also, it's an XBLA title, and will be fully revealed at the upcoming VGA's, which air on December 10 at 8:00 PM on SpikeTV, MTV2, and Spike.com.

FIRST IMAGE OF BIOWARE'S NEW IP

Willy105:

First glimpse of Bioware's new IP.

GTA V TRAILER RELEASED

Willy105:

Rockstar released the trailer for Grand Theft Auto V. Watch it here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

ZELDA SS TRAILER RELEASED

Willy105:

Watch the 5 minute trailer for The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJgTKT6YOs

SYSTEM WARS DISTRACTED BY IDIOTIC TROLL THREAD, LOSES SCAVENGER HUNT

789shadow:

Team System Wars has just lost the Halloween Scavenger Hunt to Off-Topic, a shameful performance made all the more shameful because FRICKING EVERYONE WAS RUNNING UP 10 PAGES IN A TERRIBLE TROLL THREAD.

"Honestly, I don't even remember what that thread was about," said Stevo_the_gamer. "I just remember pure, irrational rage. So much so that I had to post 50 times and ignore kicking OT's ass."

"Someone was WRONG on the Internet," said ValiantRebel. "I couldn't leave that thread until things were set right."

"I tried to eat the candy," said Darklink77. "I should have realized it wasn't actually real candy."

ROGUE REPORTER VISITS SYSTEM WARS, MAY BE MAKING STUFF UP

Willy105:

It was a quiet Sunday on System Wars, with the only thing of note being that a new issue of System Wars The Magazine came out. However, there was a new competitor on the field, boasting research and....stuff.

"I have spoken to the stores named above vastly and gamers alike about how the Wii U will be received." said Zlychop, a Level 2 poster that has been a member of Gamespot since September. "I've talked to various gamers in different colleges, high schools, and so on and they all say the Wii was hype and it didn't sell because it was good, but just because it was considered the "hot item to get".

He posted this and more in a thread titled "Why Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and the GAMERS say the Wii U will flop". It quickly became a huge hit, with dozens of admirers coming to commend his research and his crystal ball.

Now, this is an important point to get, because as a reporter, Zlychop was painting a picture for us. A picture in which the Wii is a terribly hated console out in the wild; not talking about System Wars or Giantbomb, but in stores like Walmart and Best Buy. However, in our feeble attempt to sound like a respectable journalistic publication, we will break down his comments to see if he's right, or if he is lying to his readers.

"Many Wii owners do not use the Wii much if at all and most (the casual audience) bought it because they were at a party or a friends house and played Wii Sports." said Zlychop. This is true, Wii Sports was the killer app for the Wii: after playing it, people wanted it.

"After owning the system for 2 weeks to a month almost everyone but the hardcore Nintendo fans abandoned the Wii, which explains why even with its huge lead in sales over its competitors the software doesn't sell." Now, this is where it falls apart. It is true that the software that the publishers wanted to sell (the 'hardcore' games) underperformed during the later years of it's life, it is a complete fabrication separated from reality that the software doesn't sell. Whether it is first party or third party, the Wii sold software: an incredible amount of it. Nintendo's titles became some of the best selling games of all time, and the Wii sold more third party games than the PS3.

The bad sales of certain games were the publisher's own fault, due to Wii games lacking the advertising than HD games got (no explanation was ever given for this). The Wii games that were well advertised sold fantastically.

"Now, what stores believe will be the case is that gamers got burned by the Wii, owners expected alot more and received very little if anything from Nintendo. Wii lacked Online gaming, no hard drive, no HD, and was overall just a sign that Nintendo was like "thank you for $, now go F yourself"" Now this is even worse, because it is the exact opposite a store would think and contradictory to what the console actually is. People bought Wii's and bought Wii games (the Just Dance series is one of the most succesful this side of the generation, and it's a third party franchise which until recently was Wii exclusive), they have no reasons based on fact to think people were burned by the Wii. Also, we're pretty sure the Wii had online gaming.

"Microsoft and Sony actually evolved their consoles through updates and Nintendo even though they had the biggest audience failed to bring gamers a real online service, a UI update, and even an HD Wii." Well, assuming the Wii had a 'fake' online service, Nintendo did in fact update it's UI multiple times. Also, an HD Wii? How would that work? It won't be able to play Wii games in HD unless by emulation, and to do that it would have to be as strong as a high end PC. It would have to be a brand new console!

"Gamers are going to be a lot more cautious and will wait out the Wii-U launch. MS is launching Halo 4 next year and probably with a 360 price drop to $99-150 which leaves gamers wondering they should pay premium for another possible Nintendo fad." This was also an interesting claim too, since the Wii 'fad' lasted five years, one year longer than the original Xbox, and the same length as all previous Nintendo consoles.

If Microsoft is smart they can try to fight the Wii U with aggressive pricing and software, but they would be busy hyping up their own next-gen console, which will be compared with the Wii U, which at the time would already have a library.

Nintendo has a tough road ahead, trying to launch a next-gen console in a market where people may not think they need one; but their problems are based on reality, not made up stats and crystal balls.

REPORT: UNCHARTED 3 FLOPS

Willy105:

The forums were ablaze Tuesday on Gamespot's System Wars, as Uncharted 3 was hit with wave after wave with terrible reviews and floppy scores.

"It was terrible. There were more Sheep on the UC3 thread than there were Cows." said a user present that night whose username we forgot.

It all started with the review from Spanish magazine Playmania, which gave the game a shocking 9.9. This caused a great uproar as Cows complained the reviewer was biased and was a closeted Gears fan with no taste.

But the bad news didn't end there, as more reviews trickled out with equally abysmal reviews, such as Gametrailer's 9.5, CVG's 9.5, and Eurogamer's astonishing 8.0 review.

Cows immediatly began regretting their PS3 purchases, and trolls from Lemming and Sheep factions invated the official thread, talking about stuff like Kirby and standards in an attempt to convert dissidents from the Sony cause.

"I cancelled my pre-order. I am not going to pay money for a game that can't even get a 10. Who do they think I am, a Sheep?" said someone, I think. Maybe.

However, things started to get better as IGN gave the game a perfect 10, courtesy of Sony Computer Entertainment's PR department. This allowed some Cows to choose to live and await the Gamespot review, which has been Twitted to come within the day.

Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Tom McShane gave Uncharted 3 a 9.0.

"It met the AAAE hype, but let's face it, it's a flop." said some guy we payed to say stuff, but asked not to be named.

But is Uncharted 3 as big a flop as Twilight Princess?

"I have seen a remarkably small amount of people calling out personal insults and death threats to Tom McShea, so I'm going to say no." said someone why may or may not have also written this article.

So in the end, Uncharted 3 is not as big a flop as it could have been, but it only reminds those poor Cows that they have a PS3.

COWS: WE ALL ACTUALLY THINK GEARS IS BETTER THAN UNCHARTED. JUST DON'T TELL THE LEMMINGS.

789shadow:

In recent semi-anonymous interviews with prominent SW cows, I was startled to hear admissions from many of them that they actually consider Gears the far superior franchise, and really only put up this Uncharted facade because they don't have anything else in their lives.

"Let's be hones, Gears takes a smelly dump all over Uncharted. Always has, always will," said Bessie. "We are all flabbergasted that Uncharted has somehow managed to consistently beat Gears in metascore for the past two games. It defies logic. Gears is clearly superior to anyone with half a brain."

"The outrage by some of us over the 9.0 score was just a drunken joke, really," said Bovine McGee. "Really, a 9.0 is absurdly generous. A 7.5 is pushing it."

"We all play Gears together every night," said Ruminant Jones. "Some of us haven't touched Uncharted 2 ever. We learned our lesson about this series from the first game, and that is DON'T PLAY IT. But as long as it continually and inexplicably gets excellent scores that can be used against lemmings, we have a duty to pretend like it doesn't suck."

There are, interestingly, rumored reports of many lemmings wondering if "they can continue the facade of thinking Gears is anything other than dog crap. But we can't give this victory to the cows."

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Willy105

NINTENDO ANNOUNCES THEY FAIL

Willy105:

Nintendo admitted defeat last Friday when they announced that they will re-unveil the Wii U to the public next E3, making it almost a full year since we last saw the next-gen console at E3 2011.

"As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch." said Iwata.

Nintendo then talked about some of the new ideas they plan to implement, such as being able to buy eShop games from PC and phones, allowing developers to do DLC for their games, announcing Hulu Plus support, and other stuff that were commonplace on other systems years ago.

This was perfect for the anti-Nintendo brigade to come in and pretend like they knew what they were talking about.

"Nintendo lost me with the Wii. Chances are I won't come back unless something trully awesome is shown. So far they aren't doing it and even if they show something really awesome, I won't buy anything from them until a year has passed and I can see good games on their system." said _TheJoker_.

"whether they realize it or not. smartphones are gonna make gameboy and psp extinct" said IloveLamp, which apparently typed it from a cellphone.

"look at you, nintendo, finally taking the internet seriously." said BrunoBRS.

"The Wii U hasn't created any hype or excitement at all, absolutely nothing like the Wii did. So its a good idea to have a second go. I don't have any complaints about Wii U at this point, although the controller looks like it needs to be a little smaller. In fact I'm glad its going to bring back dual analogue, put the Wii to shame in every respect and all rightly so. But they've done a really bad job getting anyone excited that isn't already a fanboy." said tomarlyn.

"Wii U is gonna be generation behind again when PS4 and nextbox launch in 2014-2015. This time casuals won't buy it because it offers nothing innovate." said C-Lee.

Soon, the discussion started to go wayside from reality.

"Didn't Sega lose a lot of employees when they went 3rd party, though? I guess it could be possible with Ninty, but so long as they held on their talent I don't see why they would suddenly go bad. The market is fine how it is, though. I don't think it would be a good thing to see a hardware manufacturer to go away." said Stizz.

People who have no idea what is going on in the industry have been theorizing for years that Nintendo will go third party. After all, their consoles have been selling much less than the competiton (except the Wii, but people like to believe it sucks because it makes them feel better about buying a console that feels no different than it's previous one other than HD graphics).

But unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has been profitable. Until the 3DS price drop, Nintendo has very rarely sold their stuff at a loss.

This is important, because unlike Sony with their electronics business and Microsoft with their PC software business, Nintendo has no other source of income other than videogames. They are literally a videogame company. If a console fails, they have no way of getting that money back.

This fuels rumors of Nintendo going third party, but only superficially.

Nintendo has been making more money during the Gamecube years than Sony and Microsoft have done. Combined. Which obviously, if you combine them, you'd actually make Sony's numbers smaller, because Microsoft's numbers are so bad, they are negatives.

So what does this mean?

It means Sony and Microsoft are more likely to go third party than Nintendo.

How does this bode for Wii U? Well, nothing really. The Wii U will continue development as usual, with a big change to it's advertising and marketing strategy to reflect the lessons Nintendo learned by telling everyone that their next-gen handheld system was a DS.

Will this mean that the Wii U will be made obsolete by the PS4 and the 720? Not if Sony and Microsoft learned their lesson from their previous generation: You don't make a console that is hundreds of dollars more than people are willing to pay for it, and sell it at a loss that would mean losing millions of employees if it doesn't sell.

Either way, Apple is obviously the future

INFAMOUS: FESTIVAL OF BLOOD

Darkspineslayer:

The InFamous series has struck the world, and left some eyes sparkling among PS3 gamers. The heavy-hitting powers, likeable characters, and freedom to do as you will have been trademarks of the series, proving that developer Sucker Punch could get more gritty after Spyro and Sly Cooper. InFamous: Fesitival of Blood is their first foray into the downloadable realm, and this vampire-infused tale is a hell of a ride!

The whole story of Festival of Blood is the fabrication of the bumbling Zeke from the last two games. In an effort to pick up a girl at a local bar, he casually name-drops Cole McGrath. Having caught her interest, he then spins a tale about Pyre Night, an evening where the citizens of New Marais "go certifiably apes***" as he puts it, and get the scary on to keep evil spirits away from the city. Before Cole and Zeke can even grab a refreshment, screams come from the catacombs under the city. One thing leads to another, and eventually Cole's superhuman blood revives the vampire Bloody Mary, who in turn gifts the conduit with a bite. Cole now has a single night to kill Mary before he becomes her slave forever!

Because this game mostly reuses assets from Infamous 2, the visuals aren't going to blow anyone away with their technical proficiency, but the team at Sucker Punch has gone and given one hell of a spooky redecoration to New Maris for Pyre Night. Roughly half of the city is open to you, and most of it is done up nice with giant demon balloons, burning effigies and other manner of dark paraphernalia.

Being a vampire for the duration of the game offers a great new power to Cole: the ability to fly. Cole can now take off as a swarm of bats and get a bird's-eye view of the city. This trick doesn't come without a price, since Cole needs blood in order to use vampire abilities, forcing him to bite into the flesh of all manner of citizens. This is one factor that led to the removal of the Karma system that has been central to the other games; accordingly, the HUD element that once displayed your Karma rating has been replaced with a blood meter.

As a matter of fact, the whole game feels similarly reigned in, and ironically the freedom of flight comes at the cost of many other freedoms the series has offered you from the start; powers are now awarded through completing tasks instead of purchasing and choosing your loadout for each situation. Fans may find such a tight leash off-putting, but at least the new enemy types you'll encounter will offer a unique challenge over what's been seen before, with the emphasis now being primarily on melee combat.

For $10 on the Playstation Store, this fun little aside from the InFamous universe offers a good, if brief, time at only 3 hours. It's a Halloween special in video game form, and while it will probably warrant a yearly play from fans, it's not going to make many new ones in the process. But for anyone who simply wants more InFamous, this is a great addition to the saga.

*(At least until Cole Saves Christmas is announced)

Willy105:

It's that time again, and after Microsoft winning two Battle Royales in a row, it's time for Sony and/or Nintendo to fight back.

789shadow:

Sony would have won with Uncharted 3, but since the cows made it a flop by whining about it not getting a 10, SONY LOSES.

Willy105:

Yeah. Where's the resident SWM Cow? Do we have one? We should get him to apologize for the rest of the Cows and convince us to give them a point.

Jynxzor:

Nothing super exciting it seems with the massive "Flop?" of Uncharted even if it met hype....er...how to make sony win...

MGS4 > Gears3!

Wait...that wont work.

Darkspineslayer:

Those fakeboys who were so upset about the game getting a lowly 9.0, which last time I checked is still a game that nobody should miss are going to baww regardless because they don't actualy own a PS3. the gamers are going to be living it up with good ol' nate while the rest of them will be on this board going "LOL GeOW3 >>>>>> U3 HERP!"

That, and the fact that Festival of Blood was good, and Assassin's Creed Revalations is about to launch with a whole bonus game should give sony some credit. Uncharted DID in fact meet the hype.

Fabz_95:

Jokes aside I think we should be giving the point to Sony, UC3 got a great score and it alone is worthy of winning a battle royale.

DarkLink77:

On the one hand, I think we need to give it to Sony, because Uncharted 3 met hype and scored well here.

On the other hand, I've never seen so much damage control over a game that met hype, and I'm tempted to say we should not award them a point simply because of that.

The lesson here? Control your goddamn hype, Cows.

Willy105:

We should probably give the point to the Cows before another game comes out that steals the spotlight away from Uncharted 3.

Any objections?

DarkLink77:

Nah, give it to 'em before they start b****ing.

Not that that'll stop 'em.

Willy105:

Then it is decided.

Sony wins!

Current Stats

Hermits

Sheep

Lemmings

Cows

Bored to Death

FALL ISSUE 2011

Contents

• Final Fantasy Type 0 Impressions
  • FIFA 12 Demo Impressions
  • Dark Souls: Prepare to Die

• Honoring Our Past Writers
  • When Developers Fight, Gamers Lose
  • Getting Back Into The Party: GT5

• Catherine Review
  • Dead Island Review
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction Review
  • Disgea 4 Review
  • Infamous 2 Reviews

http://www.scribd.com/doc/68059661/System-Wars-The-Magazine-Fall-2011

Follow the link above to read it on your browser, iPad, Kindle, or mobile device!

Or download the PDF straight from here:

www.mediafire.com/?ant06k9ajkbu5am

(can't use hyperlinks because Gamespot is broken)

http://www.gamespot.com/unions/SWMConnection/forums/27474782/the-system-wars-the-magazine-archive

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Great read, I knew the Cows thought Gears was superior.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

One may ask why does nintendo fail?

freind codes fail why dont they just use usernames?

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

May i borow this for my sig ?my sig fails

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Obviously this issue must continue to be updated.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xeogua

789shadow

Were we not supposed to post then, I'm relativley new to SW.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

A competant chart that shows Nintendo clearly making a boatload more money than Sony and Microsoft. Yet this still won't be enough to deter the haters from heralding "Ninty 3rd Party!!1!"

This was a more interesting read, Willy.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 789shadow

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Xeogua

No, no, nothing like that, I'm just saying this is a light issue in terms of content, and we can add more.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Good Nintendo article. Very curious why Microsoft is still in the business at all if they're in that big of a hole. If I were Paul Allen I would consider cutting console support entirely. No wonder they're only showing off Kinect games. Hardcore gaming gives them a bad return on investment. Both Sony and Microsoft should think about releasing inexpensive family-orientated machines if their current strategy is this disastrous. It's gong to be so damn hilarious when Sony and Microsoft both go full Wii next gen and the Wii U becomes the "hardcore" console. :lol:
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xeogua

[QUOTE="Xeogua"]

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

789shadow

No, no, nothing like that, I'm just saying this is a light issue in terms of content, and we can add more.

Ahh, ok.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I like the Uncharted 3 article. It's well written.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Very nice read.

I cant wait to see the re-unveiling of the Wii U. But sadly its 8 months away just about! Thats too long! Oh well, atleast I'll have Skyward Sword to hold me over for some time.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Nintendo needs to die already, unless they can deliver mature games with lots of blood and gore.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Needs moar links to the old print edition
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Good Nintendo article. Very curious why Microsoft is still in the business at all if they're in that big of a hole. If I were Paul Allen I would consider cutting console support entirely. No wonder they're only showing off Kinect games. Hardcore gaming gives them a bad return on investment. Both Sony and Microsoft should think about releasing inexpensive family-orientated machines if their current strategy is this disastrous.It's gong to be so damn hilarious when Sony and Microsoft both go full Wii next gen and the Wii U becomes the "hardcore" console. :lol:ActionRemix

I seriously doubt that. Sony & Microsoft aren't stupid. Plus he seems to be forgetting that Nintendo had posted losses starting in like, 2010, & had even suffered a $1.34 billion loss a few days ago.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Willy105

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]Good Nintendo article. Very curious why Microsoft is still in the business at all if they're in that big of a hole. If I were Paul Allen I would consider cutting console support entirely. No wonder they're only showing off Kinect games. Hardcore gaming gives them a bad return on investment. Both Sony and Microsoft should think about releasing inexpensive family-orientated machines if their current strategy is this disastrous.It's gong to be so damn hilarious when Sony and Microsoft both go full Wii next gen and the Wii U becomes the "hardcore" console. :lol:garland51

I seriously doubt that. Sony & Microsoft aren't stupid. Plus he seems to be forgetting that Nintendo had posted losses starting in like, 2010, & had even suffered a $1.34 billion loss a few days ago.

Yes, Nintendo posted losses this year.

For the first time.

Ever.

Because of exchange rates.

Not because of games or game systems, but because the US dollar and the Yen are disagreeing with each other. :o

And that is still not enough to get them in financial trouble with Sony and Microsoft.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ActionRemix

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]Good Nintendo article. Very curious why Microsoft is still in the business at all if they're in that big of a hole. If I were Paul Allen I would consider cutting console support entirely. No wonder they're only showing off Kinect games. Hardcore gaming gives them a bad return on investment. Both Sony and Microsoft should think about releasing inexpensive family-orientated machines if their current strategy is this disastrous.It's gong to be so damn hilarious when Sony and Microsoft both go full Wii next gen and the Wii U becomes the "hardcore" console. :lol:garland51

Wow, 5% of their operating revenue. Meanwhile Microsoft's been 7 billion dollars in the hole and Sony is barely breaking even.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActionRemix
I should mention that Japan's been in recession or stagnation as long as I've been alive. Nintendo has been a consistent success during that entire period despite domestic economic conditions.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shinobi120

[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]Good Nintendo article. Very curious why Microsoft is still in the business at all if they're in that big of a hole. If I were Paul Allen I would consider cutting console support entirely. No wonder they're only showing off Kinect games. Hardcore gaming gives them a bad return on investment. Both Sony and Microsoft should think about releasing inexpensive family-orientated machines if their current strategy is this disastrous.It's gong to be so damn hilarious when Sony and Microsoft both go full Wii next gen and the Wii U becomes the "hardcore" console. :lol:ActionRemix

Wow, 5% of their operating revenue. Meanwhile Microsoft's been 7 billion dollars in the hole and Sony is barely breaking even.

Yes, but if this continues on in like, a few years from now, it would wipe most of Nintendo's profit clean.

Plus the only reason why Microsoft had $7 Billion in the hole was because of the original Xbox & they were WILLING to take a loss off of each Xbox console being sold just to get their foot onto the gaming industry & to be recognized (it was a $4.3 billion loss). Plus most of the losses off of the 360 only came from failure rates & from the 3 year RROD warranty.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Willy105

Yes, but if this continues on in like, a few years from now, it would wipe most of Nintendo's profit clean.

garland51

Yes, it can.

Just like with any loss with any company.

The thing is, those things don't tend to continue, especially with Nintendo.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActionRemix
They're turning around. I bet they'll really start growing in 2013-2014 once people see what the competition has to offer and take a serious look at the Wii U. I'm looking forward to the Sony and Microsoft unveils. I'm expecting a role reversal for the "hardcore" and "casual" companies. There will always be some crossover, but based on E3 2010-2011 Microsoft's new strategy is putting more emphasis on low-budget casual games than high-budget blockbusters. Don't blame the original Xbox. Blame their bad business strategy If you look at the graph, both Microsoft and Sony have shrunk tremendously since the start of this gen. They're tired of loss-leading and now they want to emulate the Wii's low-cost/high-return model. Lemmings and Cows are no longer their base because they're not worth it.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shinobi120

They're turning around. I bet they'll really start growing in 2013-2014 once people see what the competition has to offer and take a serious look at the Wii U. I'm looking forward to the Sony and Microsoft unveils. I'm expecting a role reversal for the "hardcore" and "casual" companies. There will always be some crossover, but based on E3 2010-2011 Microsoft's new strategy is putting more emphasis on low-budget casual games than high-budget blockbusters.

Don't blame the original Xbox. Blame their bad business strategy If you look at the graph, both Microsoft and Sony have shrunk tremendously since the start of this gen. They're tired of loss-leading and now they want to emulate the Wii's low-cost/high-return model. Lemmings and Cows are no longer their base because they're not worth it.ActionRemix

If anything, they will most likely target both markets, not one over the other. It will most likely be suicidal for them to focus on only casuals or only hardcores next gen. Which is why I said, Microsoft & Sony aren't stupid.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActionRemix
There will be ten in-house Kinect games for every Halo.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shinobi120

Yeah, keep thinking that.

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Yup, knew these magazines were jokes

LightLink66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LightLink66
Member since 2011 • 37 Posts

Nintendo needs to die already, unless they can deliver mature games with lots of blood and gore.

lbjkurono23
Pretty much what I was thinking.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Needs moar links to the old print edition Jynxzor
What am I saying!? the Print Magazine is linked in the second post you fool! Feel free to PM me or any staff if you want a actual magazine version of the fall issue or even the previous.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Willy105

Yup, knew these magazines were jokes

Snakemaster9

Hopefully they deliver content as well as being funny.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I seem tio have missed the fact that we were working on a new issue....

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Willy105

ROGUE REPORTER VISITS SYSTEM WARS, MAY BE MAKING STUFF UP

Willy105:

It was a quiet Sunday on System Wars, with the only thing of note being that a new issue of System Wars The Magazine came out. However, there was a new competitor on the field, boasting research and....stuff.

"I have spoken to the stores named above vastly and gamers alike about how the Wii U will be received." said Zlychop, a Level 2 poster that has been a member of Gamespot since September. "I've talked to various gamers in different colleges, high schools, and so on and they all say the Wii was hype and it didn't sell because it was good, but just because it was considered the "hot item to get".

He posted this and more in a thread titled "Why Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and the GAMERS say the Wii U will flop". It quickly became a huge hit, with dozens of admirers coming to commend his research and his crystal ball.

Now, this is an important point to get, because as a reporter, Zlychop was painting a picture for us. A picture in which the Wii is a terribly hated console out in the wild; not talking about System Wars or Giantbomb, but in stores like Walmart and Best Buy. However, in our feeble attempt to sound like a respectable journalistic publication, we will break down his comments to see if he's right, or if he is lying to his readers.

"Many Wii owners do not use the Wii much if at all and most (the casual audience) bought it because they were at a party or a friends house and played Wii Sports." said Zlychop. This is true, Wii Sports was the killer app for the Wii: after playing it, people wanted it.

"After owning the system for 2 weeks to a month almost everyone but the hardcore Nintendo fans abandoned the Wii, which explains why even with its huge lead in sales over its competitors the software doesn't sell." Now, this is where it falls apart. It is true that the software that the publishers wanted to sell (the 'hardcore' games) underperformed during the later years of it's life, it is a complete fabrication separated from reality that the software doesn't sell. Whether it is first party or third party, the Wii sold software: an incredible amount of it. Nintendo's titles became some of the best selling games of all time, and the Wii sold more third party games than the PS3.

The bad sales of certain games were the publisher's own fault, due to Wii games lacking the advertising than HD games got (no explanation was ever given for this). The Wii games that were well advertised sold fantastically.

"Now, what stores believe will be the case is that gamers got burned by the Wii, owners expected alot more and received very little if anything from Nintendo. Wii lacked Online gaming, no hard drive, no HD, and was overall just a sign that Nintendo was like "thank you for $, now go F yourself"" Now this is even worse, because it is the exact opposite a store would think and contradictory to what the console actually is. People bought Wii's and bought Wii games (the Just Dance series is one of the most succesful this side of the generation, and it's a third party franchise which until recently was Wii exclusive), they have no reasons based on fact to think people were burned by the Wii. Also, we're pretty sure the Wii had online gaming.

"Microsoft and Sony actually evolved their consoles through updates and Nintendo even though they had the biggest audience failed to bring gamers a real online service, a UI update, and even an HD Wii." Well, assuming the Wii had a 'fake' online service, Nintendo did in fact update it's UI multiple times. Also, an HD Wii? How would that work? It won't be able to play Wii games in HD unless by emulation, and to do that it would have to be as strong as a high end PC. It would have to be a brand new console!

"Gamers are going to be a lot more cautious and will wait out the Wii-U launch. MS is launching Halo 4 next year and probably with a 360 price drop to $99-150 which leaves gamers wondering they should pay premium for another possible Nintendo fad." This was also an interesting claim too, since the Wii 'fad' lasted five years, one year longer than the original Xbox, and the same length as all previous Nintendo consoles.

If Microsoft is smart they can try to fight the Wii U with aggressive pricing and software, but they would be busy hyping up their own next-gen console, which will be compared with the Wii U, which at the time would already have a library.

Nintendo has a tough road ahead, trying to launch a next-gen console in a market where people may not think they need one; but their problems are based on reality, not made up stats and crystal balls.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Very true ^^^^

I doubt anything that he said related to what "Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and gamers say" was true. He cant speak for the majority of people in the world, casual gamers/core gamers/non and or soon to be gamers.

Also, the two words in red font, I belive they were also part the topic title that the troll made.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 789shadow

DarkLink77

Apparently Willy decided that 3 days after me posting the thread was the perfect time to go live.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

789shadow

Apparently Willy decided that 3 days after me posting the thread was the perfect time to go live.

It's cool, I got something in the works. Popular vote, System Warriors: Would you rather see: Uncharted 3 vs. Gears 3 World of WarCraft vs. The Old Republic/Guild Wars 2/the entire MMO genre Why Mass Effect 3 is Going to Suck and There's Nothing you Can Do About It Lol, Skyrim or The Death of Nintendo as the subject of the next Reality Check?
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ActionRemix
I say Death of Nintendo...unless it's a derivative of Willy's Death of Nintendo.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 789shadow

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

It's cool, I got something in the works. Popular vote, System Warriors: Would you rather see: Uncharted 3 vs. Gears 3 World of WarCraft vs. The Old Republic/Guild Wars 2/the entire MMO genre Why Mass Effect 3 is Going to Suck and There's Nothing you Can Do About It Lol, Skyrim or The Death of Nintendo as the subject of the next Reality Check?

Oh please god do the Skyrim one.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#39 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Lol skyrim or Gears vs uncharted

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ActionRemix
Am I wrong in assuming that you think UC3 and Gears 3 both suck?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77
Am I wrong in assuming that you think UC3 and Gears 3 both suck?ActionRemix
It's a possibility.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="789shadow"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Lol, Skyrim

:D That one.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ActionRemix
How about...Uncharted 3 vs. Kirby Return to Dreamland? Which is the better platformer? :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77
How about...Uncharted 3 vs. Kirby Return to Dreamland? Which is the better platformer? :PActionRemix
Oh, please, don't tempt me like that. :P
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I'll vote for lol, Skyrim.

People seem to think this game is going to clean house, but I see nothing more than a waste of $60 and lots of time. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Nintendo died to me once they abandoned their taxi business. I was such an ardent Nintendo fanboy, then they had to go stab me in the back like that :(
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#47 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Mass Effect 3 is Going to Suck and There's Nothing you Can Do About It Lol,DarkLink77

^this and then state how the MP will be the saving grace of the final installment of the franchise.

Or do a MMO thing where you refer to ToR as a Star Trek game throughout the entire article.

-

#evil.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Best SWM article I've ever read. Reminded me of an Onion article :lol:

ActionRemix