This topic is locked from further discussion.

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shyco
Member since 2006 • 613 Posts

Origin, is it me or is it utter crap? it keeps asking me whether I used the same account to activate my BF3... and the activation screen keeps running without any progess. Oh I can feel my hate for EA rising

Avatar image for Majd_Abdulqadir
Majd_Abdulqadir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Majd_Abdulqadir
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

From my experience with the beta only, I have to say Battlefield 3 deserves a 10/10, it is a masterpiece. Origin on the other hand deserves 5/10 or even less, it's a disaster.

Mash up these two scores together and the average result isn't too good for both DICE and EA.

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shyco

origin should be abolished, its just greedy EA trying to push a rotten product in which they hope to grap a share of the market steam mostly controls.

Oh I could swear all day long, AND I knew that Origin would be an issue the day I got my hands on BF3, allthough I was hoping that with a hard copy of the game I'd get away from using the utter waste of programming.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
So because Origin want's to compete in the same space as Valve that makes them greedy?
shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shyco

if you are trying to say that EA isn't greedy sunsabitses, please do so. It would be ok, If they did so with a product which matches somewhat the quality you'd expect from a COMPETING alternative.

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts

if you are trying to say that EA isn't greedy sunsabitses, please do so. It would be ok, If they did so with a product which matches somewhat the quality you'd expect from a COMPETING alternative.

shyco
i dont have a problem with origin, to me its exactly like steam. id rather play offline games without having to be connected to either service, but oh well.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renevent42

shyco
I'm simply turning your argument on it's head. Competing in the same space as another product doesn't make them greedy. You can prefer one over the other and that's your preference and right as a consumer, but that's a matter of preference and not an indictment of the company. Me personally? I like Origin for it's simplicity. Buy a game, download it, and not really worry about all the other stuff. Most games on Origin do not even require Origin to be running after first install unlike Steam. Steam is a better service in my opinion though, and certainly offers a lot of features.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I still find people insane for disliking Origin and not commenting about battlelog...it's like complaining about taxes when you have an atomic bomb heading your way.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
I still find people insane for disliking Origin and not commenting about battlelog...it's like complaining about taxes when you have an atomic bomb heading your way.DanielDust
both are pretty terrible. If EA wanted to compete with steam, they had since 2004 to join the fun, and now it pales in comparison to steam. They either have a LOT of work to catch up, or they can just lag behind. For BF3 it is like origin isnt even there though, it's worthless because it provides no functions for the game...battlelog does.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Renevent42
If EA wanted to compete with steam...wis3boi
They already are. Steam obviously still holds a much larger market share, but Origin is growing. EA probably hopes to overtake Steam someday and that's probably not going to happen, however, even a small chunk of the digital market is probably very profitable thing to have.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi
[QUOTE="wis3boi"] If EA wanted to compete with steam...Renevent42
They already are. Steam obviously still holds a much larger market share, but Origin is growing. EA probably hopes to overtake Steam someday and that's probably not going to happen, however, even a small chunk of the digital market is probably very profitable thing to have.

correct, but they are so far behind that their dreams aren't going to come together. I don't care that there's competition, but they joined so late in the game
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] If EA wanted to compete with steam...wis3boi

correct, but they are so far behind that their dreams aren't going to come together. I don't care that there's competition, but they joined so late in the game

Irrelevant, since they put out a good number of the important games every year and they started doing what Steam does with Steamworks games. They're not like some random studios that thought...hmm let's make a digital distribution platform ourselves, they actually have something to offer with and on it.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

It's not just you, it never properly downloaded the bf3 beta for me, and I'm told messed up downloads are a known issue that a lot of people experience.

I passed up that 8$ bulletstorm deal over the weekend because I don't trust origin to be able to download it properly.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I have not had any issues yet with Origin, which is wierd because I expected to hate it with a passion.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renevent42
I'm finding the download process just as good as Steam's...consistently get 2+mb's a sec download rate.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Orgin is alright,I have no issues with it at all.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
I'm finding the download process just as good as Steam's...consistently get 2+mb's a sec download rate. Renevent42
It seems to lie a lot to me, saying I'm DLing at 12mb/s....hah yeah right, in my dreams I'd download that fast
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Origin is fine; Battlelog on the other hand is an utterly disaster; I hope no EA game will use Bsattelog again...

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I haven't had any problems with Origin. In fact, I really like it.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

Origin, is it me or is it utter crap? it keeps asking me whether I used the same account to activate my BF3... and the activation screen keeps running without any progess. Oh I can feel my hate for EA rising

shyco
Origin is garbage. I find it rather amusing that, in order to play BF3 in any of its modes, I have to launch Origin, then launch BF3 from Origin only to get a webpage to open in Firefox, then I have to choose the mode of play and hit launch to actually launch the game. That's the most ridiculous garbage I've seen. What happened to the good ol' days of double-clicking on a shortcut made on your desktop? And holy crap, they actually thought their way was better than Steam? Steam's way is far better than this Origin crap.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="shyco"]

XIntoTheBlue

Origin is garbage. I find it rather amusing that, in order to play BF3 in any of its modes, I have to launch Origin, then launch BF3 from Origin only to get a webpage to open in Firefox, then I have to choose the mode of play and hit launch to actually launch the game.

You don't have to make the process that long. Go to battlelog, find match, click join, game launches into match. Done.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

You know what, I like it. I always have Firefox open anyway, so Battlelog is just another tab. It's easy to track your friends and see who's online, drag them into a party, join a game.. and ALWAYS on the same team and in the same squad, btw. Very nice. The stats page is massive, and for someone like me that's addicted to these games and their stat tracking, I find the site unbelievable. I peruse the dog tags I've been awarded or the ones i've stolen, to see what other people have. Check my basic stats, see all the stuff I'm close to unlocking or awards I'm about to get, etc.

And Battlelog itself.. finding and joining servers. You know what, it may not be as ideal as a simple in-game dedicated server browser like CoD4, but I WILL take having to open a browser window for servers considering how ridiculously easy it is to join in on your friends and in the same squad, or party up and join the same server at the same time. The trade-off to me is very minimal. The browser ITSELF is actually not bad at all. It refreshes server info very quickly, and when you click on it, gives you all up-to-date info unless it's changed.

Another benefit is that the game loads in the background when you join a server. So you only switch to the window when the game is ready, and quite frankly I think that's fantastic. I HATE loading up a game, having to deal with the terrible splash screens every time (unless they can be disabled, which I always do), logging in to whatever system the game uses, trying to find a server, inviting your friends to it, making sure you're on the same team and squad. With Battlelog, you just switch to the game window and you're in.

The *only* thing I really don't like so far with the system is the Origin requirement. Why? Battelog does everything the Origin client does, or so it seems. It'd be nice to be able to run the game entirely through Battlelog and not have to have Origin running in the background.

Anyway, I know that was kind of long, but I just wanted to give some specific reasoning as to why I actually enjoy using the system. I've been playing BF3 extensively; over 20 hours, in fact. So I've been spending a lot of time with the system, and in terms of functionality and layout, I really have no complaints. It might be very different from what we're used to, but I don't mind it at all.