Even with extra time, the HD Twins are still playing catchup.

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Yep, the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 are playing catchup. No, this isn't a sales thread (although they are playing catchup in that regard, but that's besides the point). This is a games thread, and more importantly, an exclusive thread. Thou' who do not like these sort of threads, you may click on the red X at the top right of the screen--it's that simple.

The Xbox 360 has had two years to rack up more exclusives than the Wii (one year head start, and the Wii's drought so far this year), and yet it's still behind--far behind. The Playstation 3 has had one year this year to make up yet even though it's had a good year so far among its flops, it still hasn't chipped the lead too much yet. The Wii--with all its exclusives--is still comfortably on top of the other consoles.

The question I pose to you all is, will that change by the generation's end? By the end of the generation next year with the Wii U, the Wii will have the two highest scoring exclusives on its system (although that could change with behomoths like Zelda and Uncharted 3 releasing soon) and possibly the most quality exclusives available. There is no determinant for SW Victory, but the Wii sure kicked some serious butt this generation against ALL odds.

Note: The Wii lacks multiplatform games, I know this, you know this, we all know this. Multiplatform games serve no purpose in this thread.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

catchup to who? because a guy on this site didn't think the games deserved a 9.0 or higher?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Many of those multiplats are indeed better than Wii exclusives.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

catchup to who? because a guy on this site didn't think the games deserved a 9.0 or higher?

Chris_Williams
To the Wii, of course. And wat?
deadruler08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 deadruler08
Member since 2004 • 838 Posts
I wasn't under the impression that the Wii was a console
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I'm agree, i hardly have any exclusives on my PS3 (MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles) and when i look my collection on Wii, its pure exclusives and some of the best this gen (recently got Tatsunoko vs Capcom, :lol: it's so much better than the mess MvC3 is and is not even a contest)

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Stevo_the_gamer
To the Wii, of course. And wat?

yet the wii has been a barren waste land these past couple of months, i rather have plenty of flops to choose from then nothing at all
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Many of those multiplats are indeed better than Wii exclusives.SaltyMeatballs
Better is relative, and varies based on individual outlook.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

The Wii has literally 4 AAAE games on Metacritic.

FOUR. This entire gen. SMG1, SMG2, Brawl, and Metroid Prime 3.

Yea, I dont think its winning in anything.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Don't really care. Many of he Wii games literally hold zero of my interest (which is why I also couldn't care less about the spreedsheet here, no offense Steve!)

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
yet the wii has been a barren waste land these past couple of months, i rather have plenty of flops to choose from then nothing at allChris_Williams
It's the good thing the Wii has a massive backlog of titles to turn too, so Wii owners could be playing titles they didn't have a chance to experience before because--unlike the HD twins--they weren't waiting for months on end to receive a quality game. :]
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

It's a good thing we don't exclusively only play AAAEs, because then games like Forza 4 wouldn't exist. :o
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StrongDeadlift
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

It's a good thing we don't exclusively only play AAAEs, because then games like Forza 4 wouldn't exist. :o

Well the whole point of this thread was EXCLUSIVES wasnt it? :?
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
nintendo wins? Bottom line is that if someone without a console asks me for advice on what console to buy, the only way I would endorse the wii is if that person wasn't a gamer.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

I honestly have no idea who will be on top in terms of IP's next gen. Time will tell.8)

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Well the whole point of this thread was EXCLUSIVES wasnt it? :?StrongDeadlift
That is correct.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Many of those multiplats are indeed better than Wii exclusives.Stevo_the_gamer
Better is relative, and varies based on individual outlook.

And the number of exclusives is just a number, holds no bearing on the quality of the games or the console.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

StrongDeadlift

Well the whole point of this thread was EXCLUSIVES wasnt it? :?

I think you misunderstood him there.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Well the whole point of this thread was EXCLUSIVES wasnt it? :?StrongDeadlift
Yeah... and AA and A games are still not only worth playing, but many can provide more enjoyable experiences for many people, in some cases, better experiences than AAA games.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
And the number of exclusives is just a number, holds no bearing on the quality of the games or the console.SaltyMeatballs
That is true--outside of Gamespot. In SW, that statement is false to many degrees.
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GunSmith1_basic
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]Well the whole point of this thread was EXCLUSIVES wasnt it? :?Stevo_the_gamer
That is correct.

imo the technological barrier between the wii and the other platforms makes the exclusivity argument irrelevant. The wii undercut the sales of the hd twins, sure, but devs have adapted by putting increased priority on multiplatting between ps3-360 to combine their userbase strength. This isn't like comparing exclusives in the previous gens.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
imo the technological barrier between the wii and the other platforms makes the exclusivity argument irrelevant.GunSmith1_basic
So now we care only about graphics, and graphical capability? So we shouldn't compare the 3DS and the Vita then?
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The question I pose to you all is, will that change by the generation's end? By the end of the generation next year with the Wii U, the Wii will have the two highest scoring exclusives on its system (although that could change with behomoths like Zelda and Uncharted 3 releasing soon) and possibly the most quality exclusives available. There is no determinant for SW Victory, but the Wii sure kicked some serious butt this generation against ALL odds.

Note: The Wii lacks multiplatform games, I know this, you know this, we all know this. Multiplatform games serve no purpose in this thread.

Stevo_the_gamer

Which two are those?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]imo the technological barrier between the wii and the other platforms makes the exclusivity argument irrelevant.Stevo_the_gamer
So now we care only about graphics, and graphical capability? So we shouldn't compare the 3DS and the Vita then?

Technology is more than just graphics, you know this. And no, I'm not agreeing with him.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
imo the technological barrier between the wii and the other platforms makes the exclusivity argument irrelevant. GunSmith1_basic
Then it is a good thing you don't make the rules then. In terms of exclusives: Wii >>> 360/PS3 Deal with it.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]And the number of exclusives is just a number, holds no bearing on the quality of the games or the console.Stevo_the_gamer
That is true--outside of Gamespot. In SW, that statement is false to many degrees.

Ah yes, SW's, carry on then :P
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]Well the whole point of this thread was EXCLUSIVES wasnt it? :?GunSmith1_basic
That is correct.

imo the technological barrier between the wii and the other platforms makes the exclusivity argument irrelevant. The wii undercut the sales of the hd twins, sure, but devs have adapted by putting increased priority on multiplatting between ps3-360 to combine their userbase strength. This isn't like comparing exclusives in the previous gens.

TBH the only reason the Wii even sold as good as it did is because Sony and Microsoft BOTH priced themselves out of the market at the beginning of the gen, literally forfeiting the mass market window, to Nintendo. Basically, they had no competition for the mass market, as it was left wide open for Nintendo to claim.

Seriously, what the hell kind of parent is going to walk into best buy and see a $600 machine, or a $400 machine, and pick that over a $250 machine for their kid? None.

If you notice, the PS3 was MORE than DOUBLE the price of the Wii at launch. There was a $350 price gap inbetween the PS3 and the Wii, and a $150 price gap inbetween the 360 and the Wii. (note that Im mostly focusing on sony, but Microsofts launch price was ALSO relatively high, albeit to a lesser degree).

Now that the PS3 and 360 have dropped in price, the Wii is now the LAST PLACE selling console every month.

PS3 and 360 BOTH outsold the Wii in NPD this past month, and the PS3 has been steamrolling the Wii in Japan.

I guarrantee if the PS3 and 360 launched at $300 the Wii wouldnt have pimp smacked the other consoles as bad as it did. notice that as the other consoles dropped in price, the Wii sales began to taper off slowly.

Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

The Wii is garbage imo. I'm glad I never bought one. It's kind of fun when you have a bunch a people around but thats it.

It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo can convince more of the PS3/360 owners to buy a Wii U. It looks interesting to say the least from my perspective.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] That is correct.StrongDeadlift

TBH the only reason the Wii even sold as good as it did is because Sony and Microsoft BOTH priced themselves out of the market at the beginning of the gen, literally forfeiting the mass market window, to Nintendo. Basically, they had no competition for the mass market, as it was left wide open for Nintendo to claim.

Seriously, what the hell kind of parent is going to walk into best buy and see a $600 machine, or a $400 machine, and pick that over a $250 machine for their kid? None.

If you notice, the PS3 was MORE than DOUBLE the price of the Wii at launch. There was a $350 price gap inbetween the PS3 and the Wii, and a $150 price gap inbetween the 360 and the Wii. (note that Im mostly focusing on sony, but Microsofts launch price was ALSO relatively high, albeit to a lesser degree).

Now that the PS3 and 360 have dropped in price, the Wii is now the LAST PLACE selling console every month.

PS3 and 360 BOTH outsold the Wii in NPD this past month, and the PS3 has been steamrolling the Wii in Japan.

I guarrantee if the PS3 and 360 launched at $300 the Wii wouldnt have pimp smacked the other consoles as bad as it did. notice that as the other consoles dropped in price, the Wii sales began to taper off slowly.

Wii sales have slowed down due to market saturation. If PS3 launched at $300 Wii would have been even cheaper than $250.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

That was a short retirement. And here I was getting all choked up.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GunSmith1_basic

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]imo the technological barrier between the wii and the other platforms makes the exclusivity argument irrelevant. foxhound_fox
Then it is a good thing you don't make the rules then. In terms of exclusives: Wii >>> 360/PS3 Deal with it.

hey, bottom line is that if the HD console market wasn't split between two consoles, the wii would be getting it's butt stomped in every category. In this new situation with the barrier between the wii and the others if you want to compare exclusives you have to balance that argument with all the quality multiplats that the wii is not getting.

I just don't want someone who doesn't know anything about video games to come in here and read this thread and think that the wii has outclassed the other consoles in some way.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox
hey, bottom line is that if the HD console market wasn't split between two consoles, the wii would be getting it's butt stomped in every category. In this new situation with the barrier between the wii and the others if you want to compare exclusives you have to balance that argument with all the quality multiplats that the wii is not getting.GunSmith1_basic
Ah "what ifs." The excuse for jealousy. And why can't the Wii win in terms of exclusives? Why do multiplats HAVE to be factored in? The 360 and PS3 get exclusive arguments all the time. Why not the Wii? Because you are embarrassed to say it wins in something?
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GunSmith1_basic
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]hey, bottom line is that if the HD console market wasn't split between two consoles, the wii would be getting it's butt stomped in every category. In this new situation with the barrier between the wii and the others if you want to compare exclusives you have to balance that argument with all the quality multiplats that the wii is not getting.foxhound_fox
Ah "what ifs." The excuse for jealousy. And why can't the Wii win in terms of exclusives? Why do multiplats HAVE to be factored in? The 360 and PS3 get exclusive arguments all the time. Why not the Wii? Because you are embarrassed to say it wins in something?

trust me I'm not jealous. Statistics are a form of manipulation and this is just a more extreme case. There are huge problems in the exclusives argument between the HD twins too, most notably how the PC figures into it. That's a whole other thing
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#34 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

It's not surprising that the Wii has alot of exclusives, since it has alot of exclusive franchises like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, etc.

However, to me, exclusives don't make a good system. I like both exclusives and multiplats. I have a 360 and a Wii. I like the 360's exclusives, such as Halo games, Alan Wake, and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I also liked the Wii's exclusives. But for multiplats, I go for the 360 version because it's HD.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

Anyone have the spreadsheet? would like to look at it again

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

Doesn't really matter if I don't want to play any of the games Wii has to offer. I've got it better with PC/PS3/Xbox (although I never play my 360 anymore.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

That was a short retirement. And here I was getting all choked up.

heretrix
I'm glad you missed me. :]
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Which two are those?

GD1551

SMG and SMG2.

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

Sooo....at what point did this thread go from talking about the scores of exclusives to the number of sales that each system has and why the wii is garbage and wouldn't have sold as well if the other systems were cheaper (which by the way means that the wii would have to be adjusted also). The topic started as a discussion about how the wii has more highly rated exclusives than either of the other systems, which appears to be true. So why mention sales and power yadda yadda yadda

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Sooo....at what point did this thread go from talking about the scores of exclusives to the number of sales that each system has and why the wii is garbage and wouldn't have sold as well if the other systems were cheaper (which by the way means that the wii would have to be adjusted also). The topic started as a discussion about how the wii has more highly rated exclusives than either of the other systems, which appears to be true. So why mention sales and power yadda yadda yadda

vtbob88
This thread is of multiple disciplines--able to educate in many ways! Although it should only be about HQ exclusives... in which the Wii and PC pwn the HD Twins. :]
GrilledCharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GrilledCharlie
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

The wii had to have good exclusives. None of the multiplats are worth buying for the system.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Which two are those?

Stevo_the_gamer

SMG and SMG2.

What about MGS4 and Uncharted 2?

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Which two are those?

GD1551

SMG and SMG2.

Those two both have lower metacritic scores than both galaxy games, try again

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]SMG and SMG2.

vtbob88

Those two both have lower metacritic scores than both galaxy games, try again

We don't use metacritic here, try again. Those are the rules of this game.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Wii is beating 360 only in AE games. It has 4 more AAE games than PS3 and beats it in AE. Not exactly very impressive.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Well you are technically right but it's a poor sort of victory, it's like a bunch of guys driving Ferrari's to a restaurant for a steak dinner while a third guy drives his broken down Lada to a soup kitchen. The poor third guy can claim he is the ONLY ONE doing what he doing, but I don't really think Ferrari men mind :P
TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

Playing catchup to what? Other than the first Mario Galaxy and Brawl, the Wii has nothing for me to give it the "AMAZING SEAL OF AWESOMENESS!".

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It's hardly surprising that Wii has a lot of exclusives, given that it resides alone in it's niché.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

HD twins don't really need to play catch up, and they have plenty of steam left to continue going. The Wii, does not, hence why Nintendo had to start scrambling to get the Wii U together. Ninty isn't too far from dropping out of relevancy for core gamers, and that would deal a huge blow financially to Nintendo since it's the core gamers that will provide steady revenue and user base across a system's lifetime. Whether or not Wii U can become a fad again like the first Wii is unknown at the moment. My gut tells me that casuals probably won't care as much this time around. Any casual who got tired of the "casual/low grade-ish" nature of the Wii has already moved to the 360 or PS3, and will probably stick with those ecosystems for the next round.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

My favorite games this gen are not available on Wii.

For me this is what's most important, to have access to the games that I like.

Aside from exclusives, there are many "multiplats" not available on all platforms.

For example if I want to play L4D and LA Noire, only 1 platform plays both of those games.

Even tho they are not exclusives.

This is what people don't understand.

Talk about "graphics" and statistics of "we have X number of AAAEE" that's all crap.

What matters is being able to play the stuff that I want.

I use a 360 because I have NO CHOICE.

If I could play everything on PS3, PC or Wii I would, but the games I want are not available.