why are humans so hostile to eachother?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts

People on the road rage over everything and treat other humans like ****. Same on the internet and online, why are humans so hostile with eachother lol? Im pretty sure a lot of humans would care more about a dog being tortured than some guy in iraq getting tortured. thoughts?

goldari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 goldari
Member since 2011 • 161 Posts
disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. Ill expand to the iraq/dog thing. Dogs are generally predictable, humans have almost complete control over them.. sort of like a newborn. We generally as humans decide the evilness of an action based on the defenses of the victim.... as you would agree someone that stabs babies is more repulsive than someone that stabs adult males in self defense? Dogs are far more defenseless than humans, so it takes a more sick individual to hurt them than an actual combatant like a soldier.... when the soldier is trying to murder you.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
[QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy.

But we know absolutely nothing about random-dog-on-road-that-got-kicked-to-death.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Shut up TC, no one cares about your concern about the hostility of humans :P

In all seriousness, I see it as just serving self interest. Many people see themselves as more important than anyone else, so if someone else gets in there way, they try to remove them for the equation, so to speak. I could be horribly wrong, mind you, but thats just my theory.

ralphster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ralphster
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts

everyone wants be the alpha-male like me8)

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Because we're just apes trying to supress our inherent instincts by means of imposing social and moral values upon ourselves. Think of society as simply work in progress - phisiologically there's little difference between us now and people 500 - 1000 years ago - just think how far we've advanced since those times.

goldari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 goldari
[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy.

But we know absolutely nothing about random-dog-on-road-that-got-kicked-to-death.

I expanded in an edit. We know the dog that was beaten to death probably wasnt trying to kill the human that beat them to death. We know the soldier that tried to kill the human, probably was trying to kill the human. Generally as a species we find picking on the weak as more abhorrent than picking on the strong. If cain valesqueze knocks out brock lesnar, we dont care much, if he knocks out a dog.... dog probably didnt consent to that fight, and probably didnt have much of a defense. Dog isnt a willing combatant, brock lesnar is.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

take note of people like Blue-Sky, people who breed hate, people who think everyone who does not agree with them is chaotic super evil. these kinds of views handed down by leaders that use fear to rule spreads hate like crabs in a brothel

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts
Internet, DOOM and golf is why humans are so hostile to each other.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Because it is our nature
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Testosterone.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

because humans hurt one another for selfish reasons ,while animals won't hurt anything unless it's absolutely necessary.you migh argue the necessary part though;who decides what is necessary and what's not. instinct is the key here,actions driven by one's instincts are the ones that should be considered necessary.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#13 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

take note of people like Blue-Sky, people who breed hate, people who think everyone who does not agree with them is chaotic super evil. these kinds of views handed down by leaders that use fear to rule spreads hate like crabs in a brothel

surrealnumber5

Note taken. :P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy.

This is the answer. Darwin said that we humans evolved from successful cooperators. But we evolved our cooperation in small groups (do a Google search on the Dundar number, it talks about our cognitive capacity to hold significant relationships with no more than 300 people). With bigger numbers in population then this natural capacities start to weaken and we start seeing most people as "the others". Still we do pretty good since most of us don't go out and kill people all the time but I don't think we are very healthy mentally in such contexts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. kuraimen
This is the answer. Darwin said that we humans evolved from successful cooperators. But we evolved our cooperation in small groups (do a Google search on the Dundar number, it talks about our cognitive capacity to hold significant relationships with no more than 300 people). With bigger numbers in population then this natural capacities start to weaken and we start seeing most people as "the others". Still we do pretty good since most of us don't go out and kill people all the time but I don't think we are very healthy mentally in such contexts.

I dont know. I bet many a caveman was killed by a jealous pack mate.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. kuraimen

Since when in the past have we been more civilised than we are now?

If we delve back even a few hundred years ago people were f***ing nuts - death by sawing in half, boiled alive, rats eating through abdomen, pulled apart by horses or even worse some of the c***s were sent to Auatralia for punishment. Horrific stuff.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. poptart

If we delve back even a few hundred years ago people were f***ing nuts - death by sawing in half, boiled alive, rats eating through abdomen, pulled apart by horses or even worse some of the c***s were sent to Auatralia for punishment. Horrific stuff.

Not in hunter-gatherer societies where the population numbers had to remain pretty low. It is a fact that we couldn't have survived in such small numbers in Africa if we weren't very good collaborators. Now after we left Africa, we became agricultural and expanded in numbers then yes, things like private property, military and modern war came to be. Bonds within a small hunter-gatherer tribe are much stronger than what we usually have now. Of course those tribes were still hostile to each other but within their groups I think they were/are much nicer between each other than we usually are.
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. goldari
No. That's not true. Look at Native societies in the Americas before Europeans came. They were largely communal, but waged war, and had violent religious rituals. NOT all of them exclusively, but enough to know that what you're saying wouldn't be universal.

Humans are hostile towards one another because they have the perfect cocktail of emotions and rationality to justify hurting somebody else.

goldari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 goldari

[QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. UniverseIX

No. That's not true. Look at Native societies in the Americas before Europeans came. They were largely communal, but waged war, and had violent religious rituals. NOT all of them exclusively, but enough to know that what you're saying wouldn't be universal.

Humans are hostile towards one another because they have the perfect cocktail of emotions and rationality to justify hurting somebody else.

i said everyone in the community. There werent a ton of civil wars back then.
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
Humans are still relatively primitive beings with primitive thoughts, desires, etc, But the key primeval thought is survival. We are openly hostile to people because(I think) we live in a big world now with lots of people(roughly 7 billion) and therefore we don't share the same connection as people used to when they lived in villages of 20 people; It takes roughly 7 seconds for people to gain a opinion of someone(If they are a threat,etc). This is another example of survival, Thousands of years ago, you didn't have that much time to decide if a person was a threat or not. This first impression is very hard to change, but It can, this is why people say that it is very important to make a good 'first impression'. To TC: I think dogs are relatively helpless in our world. Therefore, it might sound cruel of me to say, I would feel absolutely horrified and disgusted if I heard of a dog being tortured, but because I feel very disjointed with the person in Iraq, and I know that humans have been doing this to each other for centuries; I still feel bad, but I don't think about it that much.
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]

[QUOTE="goldari"]disjointed nature of large society. In more primitive days, people cared about everyone in the community. But as society grows larger and we know less and less about one another, its easier to lose empathy. goldari

Yeah, I suppose things like cannibalism, and human sacrifice don't count as hostility. I suppose waging war against the community that is 10 miles down the road isn't hostility either.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Free will is to blame.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
We're bored.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Why do you think we have all the answers, TC?! Think next time! Jeez! [spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="poptart"]

This is the answer. Darwin said that we humans evolved from successful cooperators. But we evolved our cooperation in small groups (do a Google search on the Dundar number, it talks about our cognitive capacity to hold significant relationships with no more than 300 people). With bigger numbers in population then this natural capacities start to weaken and we start seeing most people as "the others". Still we do pretty good since most of us don't go out and kill people all the time but I don't think we are very healthy mentally in such contexts.kuraimen

Not in hunter-gatherer societies where the population numbers had to remain pretty low. It is a fact that we couldn't have survived in such small numbers in Africa if we weren't very good collaborators. Now after we left Africa, we became agricultural and expanded in numbers then yes, things like private property, military and modern war came to be. Bonds within a small hunter-gatherer tribe are much stronger than what we usually have now. Of course those tribes were still hostile to each other but within their groups I think they were/are much nicer between each other than we usually are.

I dont know. People will cooperate when they have to cooperate. We are social animals. But in the same vein, we are also aggressive and territorial. I dont know if the bonds within hunter-gatherer groups are any stronger than the bonds that some close knit groups make today.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Survival of the fittest. But really, human hostility to each other isn't that bad.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
evolution
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

People on the road rage over everything and treat other humans like ****. Same on the internet and online, why are humans so hostile with eachother lol? Im pretty sure a lot of humans would care more about a dog being tortured than some guy in iraq getting tortured. thoughts?

hadoken

Because the human mind is only capable of caring about a small number of people. Those guys get recognized as actual people, while everyone else gets lumped into generic stereotypes like "waiters" or "bad drivers" or "liberals" or "those things that try to sell me an extended warranty whenever I buy an electronic gadget".

And the less that we think of someone else as an actual person, the more likely we are to be total douchebags to them.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it's just what humans do and are great at.

in 1991 a 5,000 year old stone age man complete with tools was found buried in ice.

cause of death?

homicide.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/features/online/3485/who-killed-iceman

he had been in a violent altercation escaped and later died of his wounds.

in the scheme of things we are pretty much the most violent murderous monsters planet earth has ever seen.

goldari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 goldari

[QUOTE="goldari"][QUOTE="UniverseIX"] No. That's not true. Look at Native societies in the Americas before Europeans came. They were largely communal, but waged war, and had violent religious rituals. NOT all of them exclusively, but enough to know that what you're saying wouldn't be universal.

UniverseIX

Yeah, I suppose things like cannibalism, and human sacrifice don't count as hostility. I suppose waging war against the community that is 10 miles down the road isn't hostility either.

what are you talking about? i was speaking of within a community. there isnt much record of communities eating themselves, even cannibals only ate other tribes.
Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

Because it's in our nature. Society tries to temper that but people have always been fighting and taking other's resources through force and warring with each other over everything from land to plunder to resources in that land. No matter how peaceloving certain people will try to tell you humans are at heart, we are still just intelligent animals with animalistic tendencies and primitive natures within. Just more socialized and civilized now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

People should drink more coke then. Because you ever see those commercials? Everyone is holding hands and singing in peace and harmony. World Peace.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Because we don't give a damn about people outside our Monkeysphere
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

As Arnie says 'It's inyour nature to destroy yourselves'

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts

Because it is human nature?

Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Iffy350
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Its the nature of the species. Humans have a tendency to be violent. Its just the way things are. The truth is that we will never learn from our violent past and change for the better.