Do I need I play first game to enjoy Witcher 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

I have Witcher EE but disliked the game, I got about halfway in and quit. Now I have seen great write up's for Witcher 2 and am tempted to get it, but first off doesn it have the horrid control system that the first game did? And do I need to have played the first game to enjoy the story from the second?

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

I have Witcher EE but disliked the game, I got about halfway in and quit. Now I have seen great write up's for Witcher 2 and am tempted to get it, but first off doesn it have the horrid control system that the first game did? And do I need to have played the first game to enjoy the story from the second?

Raxzor
No you can play the second without playing the first Witcher, but it would be better if you played the first so you can understand some characters in the second one.
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
You don't to play the first one to enjoy the second one, however you will understand the story and characters more if you do.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

No.

But the TW EE is really a great game to play.

sami117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sami117
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts
Its not completely necessary, but i highly recommend it. a.) its an exellent game b.) You will understand Characters better c.) 5 bucks on Gog less on steam sales during summer
Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

I would not play original game. Just go to wiki and read the plot of the first game.

Second game is revamped with new combat style (much more accessible in my opinion) and in general is much more user-friendly game.

I tried to get into original Witcher, but like OP, quit not even half way though the game. The combat was confusing, alchemy required you to have Ph.D to understand how it functioned and so on. Even developers admit that Witcher was their 1st game and it did have a lot of shortcoming in terms of accessebility.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

If you didn't like the first then skip it like me. Why torture yourself playing a very bad boring game?

I tried to finish the 1st one three times and couldn't do it. First game was garbage if you ask me.

No need to play the first game. If you want to learn more about the story then read the books. Much more info from them then from playing the game.

The Witcher 2 is very good. Definitely not slow and boring like the first one. No boring click fest combat and the witcher 2 actually has a bit of challenge in it if you turn the difficulty up to hard.

That's my opinion.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Quite a few characters from the first one returns, so you may feel less attached to them. Other than a few minor references to happenings in the first game, its not really that necessary to play the first one.
TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts
I would also recommend atleast reading a synopsis of the game before you play the second one. The wikipedia entery on the Witcher has a great quick overview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)#Plot Obviously the whole game is spoiled there so viewer beware. Also, make sure to constantly read the journal. The game may seem somewhat confusing at times, but all the fine details as well as stuff that isnt directly covered in dialog is in the journal.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Thanks guys I will read the wiki page and pick up the second game.