PS3 Controller not holding charge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xTpux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 xTpux
Member since 2010 • 308 Posts

I have a Dualshock 3, Red, Purchased last year. I charge my controllers via Energrizer stand. It told me the controller was chargedand when i synced it to my PS3, maybe 3 minutes later the Number 1 red light began blinking so I checked what it's charge was at. It was drained already! I find it weird that it's happening to this controller and not my original controler that came with the PS3 since it's about a year older than this one. Is this a common issue? Does Sony offer a warranty for controllers? What do I do? Just go out and buy a new one or send it to Sony?

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#2 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

try charging it through usb from the ps3 to rule out any problems with the charge station your using. perhaps the battery is just dead it can happen. sometimes they last for years other times they dont depends on a load of different things. i doubt sony offer warranty for batterys most companies dont due to the fact that they dont last as long as the product. its very easy to replace the battery in the ps3 controllers if you open it up you will see its just a matter of disconnecting the old and putting in the new 1 only trick part is gettin them damn r2 and l2 buttons to sit properly so u can get it back together

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
if constantly leave it on the charger, it kill the battery. As a rule of thumb, I never charge it until its completely drained.
gundaicut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 gundaicut
Member since 2010 • 456 Posts
u have to buy a new controller unless u wanna play with it pluged in
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
if constantly leave it on the charger, it kill the battery. As a rule of thumb, I never charge it until its completely drained. 4NGoods
I thought you could charge things as much as you want, as long as you don't keep them on charge for longer than necessary, rather than only charge them when completely drained. I did hear that they sort of had "memorys" and occasionally you should use a battery powered object to it's max to give it a sense of when it's full and when it's not. that might be bull but its what I got told a few weeks back.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
if constantly leave it on the charger, it kill the battery. As a rule of thumb, I never charge it until its completely drained. 4NGoods
The controller has built in protection to prevent that. Battery charge issues haven't been a problem since NiCad batteries were popular more than ten years ago.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
[QUOTE="4NGoods"]if constantly leave it on the charger, it kill the battery. As a rule of thumb, I never charge it until its completely drained. DJ_Lae
The controller has built in protection to prevent that. Battery charge issues haven't been a problem since NiCad batteries were popular more than ten years ago.

While this is true, Lithium Ion batteries have other issues. Eventually they will develop thick deposits that can interfere with ion transport. The more frequent you charge your controller, the less the full charge capacity will be.
karnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 karnis
Member since 2004 • 1825 Posts
I use my controllers till the battery is drained completely & it turns off & I've had the 2 same controllers since summer of 2008
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
Like someone else said, try charging it directly through your PS3, leave it charging for 2-3 hours and see if that fixes your problem. If not, then I'd buy a new battery pack. It's an easy fix and it'll save you from buying a new controller.
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 4NGoods
[QUOTE="4NGoods"]if constantly leave it on the charger, it kill the battery. As a rule of thumb, I never charge it until its completely drained. Adziboy
I thought you could charge things as much as you want, as long as you don't keep them on charge for longer than necessary, rather than only charge them when completely drained. I did hear that they sort of had "memorys" and occasionally you should use a battery powered object to it's max to give it a sense of when it's full and when it's not. that might be bull but its what I got told a few weeks back.

Newer Lithium battery dont have the draw back of developing a memory like older NiCad batteries. That's not what i'm referring to. What i'm saying is that constantly charging a battery, IE having your battery in a laptop while simultaneously having it plug in will kill the life of your battery. That's why i always drain the battery when not in use and if i have it plugged in, i take the battery out while using my laptop. I've used laptop exclusively over desktop PC and i've noticed the life of the battery lasting much longer. I would assume the same applies to all lithium batteries.
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

The Dude is asking if someone can help him with his controller issue and all you do, is show who nows most for diff. types of baterries.Great work.

NOW TO THE QUESTION: THERE IS A SMALL BUTTON (HOLE ) ON THE BACK OF THE DUALSHOCK, YOU'LL HAVE TO USE A PIN OR A TOOTHPICK TO PRESS IT.IF THAT DON'T WORK , WELL OUR DUALSHOCK IS SCRE*ED.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 4NGoods
actually i'm showing him a correlation between two similar situations and giving him insight as to why his battery isnt holding a charge and what not to do to prevent if from happening again so he doesnt have to buy new controllers every year. Sure he can reset his controller but i doubt it'll make the battery all of a sudden hold a charge as you suggest. But pat yourself on the back for giving him a solution that probably wont work and berating me.
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DISSESHOWEDO

actually i'm showing him a correlation between two similar situations and giving him insight as to why his battery isnt holding a charge and what not to do to prevent if from happening again so he doesnt have to buy new controllers every year. Sure he can reset his controller but i doubt it'll make the battery all of a sudden hold a charge as you suggest. But pat yourself on the back for giving him a solution that probably wont work and berating me. 4NGoods

And you again being the smart one. The same thing happened to me and that's the way i fixed it.While you speak just to show how much you know and show how much of an "expert" you are, i'm presenting a solution (which and probably will help the dude) from my own experience. Which is what the the dude asked, he didn't ask for insight on to why his battery is not charging, he asked for advice/help.BIG/HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

If the battery is dead you can always buy another battery for around $5.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

How exactly will resetting the controller fix this issue? I've heard of situations where people are unable to sync up their controller with the system and the controller shuts itself down, sometimes that is mistaken for battery charge issues when in fact simply resetting the controller will fix the problem. But in his case he says he's able to sync up his controller just fine and his battery charge display says it's fully drained.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 4NGoods
that's what I'd like to know. but if disseshowedo says it works then the only logical explanation would be black magic.
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DISSESHOWEDO

My controller was only synced while it was plugged to the usb cable, when i unplugged it it was not sync. And when i plugged it again (after being fully charged ) it showed that the battery was drained.The reset button did the job !!! Sounds impossible but fact !!!

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 4NGoods
well the tc's description is slightly different in the sense that his controller works but after 3 minutes, the battery dies. at any rate I hope your solution works for the tc's sake and saves him a couple dollars. hopefully he chimes in and fills us in.
CM-SK1LZz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CM-SK1LZz
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
hi , i know this is old but if it ever happens again plug your usb into the ps3 and the controller , get a paperclip or small pointy object and press the restart buttong on the controller for about 10-20 seconds then let go and press the middle button and whallala it works
BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Replacement battery for ps3 controller costs like $3-4 on ebay. I have yet to changed mine but I will go this route when the battery wears out.