Genuine but fake Xbox 360 controllers - Identify and problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smp13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 smp13
Member since 2003 • 885 Posts

I bought a white 'genuine' xbox 360 controller this week off ebay (shipped from within Australia). It is an accurate-appearing, poor quality copy.

Packaging and controller both look pretty authentic.

How to Identify between my genuine controllers, and the fake one:

-Hologram sticker. The copies hologram has the word 'Microsoft' once, on an illegible background. The genuine (all 3 of my others) have a repeating hologram of the word 'Microsoft' many times on several lines.

-'Microsoft' engraving on top of controller. The genuine looks good and even, the copy has some letters at different thicknesses.

-Silver panel on user side. The fake is a rough surface, dull grey. The genuines are smooth and shiny. (On my fake, this panel was also slightly misalligned)

-The packaging on the fake looked like this (not my pic: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4329/packagingb.jpg)

Operational differences:

-Buttons. They feel a bit different when pressed, and the fake ones have a springy sound.

-Joysticks. Range of movement seems slightly affected. Require different pressure to press in. (On the fake ,my right joystick also pressed in only rotating, and the left joystick occasionally locked into a slight moved position.)

-Battery pack spot. My authentic recharging pack did not sit properly in the fake controller, it required more force to put in, and sort of got stuck part way.

Just so you know, and maybe this will help some people. I found the fake to be of slightly poor quality during use as each button/joystick pressed, controlled, and read slightly different than the genuine controllers. I was not as accurate.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
The dead zones suck on fake analogue sticks, sometimes so bad it's like a d-pad with an analogue.
Multilogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Multilogic
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Nice info.

I just bought a 'genuine' one too on ebay although im not really sure is it genuine.

I still didnt open it, but its got the same boxing like the one on the picture you posted.

but the hologram sticker is not where its supposed to be, its like on a random place, its on the left handle(where you hold it with left hand, on the back side) and not where the battery is on the wireless ones (this is a wired one)

Im wondering can i use windows "devices and printers" and then test the game controller to see its response and know if its really a genuine one or are there any other tests to see?

Because nowdays even fake ones have microsoft engraving, and the normal guide button.