NGP GDC 2011 information:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

The entire presentation was just about one hour long. There where a few things clarified about the NGP such as:

• 60 fps recording and light sensitivity for AR gameplay (scroll down for AR features)
  • Game storage and distribution: 2GB and 4GB (no word if expanding beyond that in near future)
  • NGP's Processor capabilities and relative power consumption: not as many Mhz as Ps3 meaning more battery to spare)
  • NGP's AR capablities: face tracking, face mapping, AR via marker, AR via "live tracing" and more unique AR features (see Trex demo)
  • Network connectivity (internet, location based, etc): Network and location based integration with games (Near app was demoed)

Slide shows:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-ngp-developer-presentation-at-gdc-2011/#3940560

http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/sony-next-generation-portable-ngp-gdc-panel/3940189/#/0

Tech demos of games included Little Deviants and Uncharted. A few of the NGP's new AR capabilities showcased how it could live-trace an Ape escape 3 box art and create a AR 3D figure. This is different from usual AR markers as the object in regular AR markers is a simple shape usually not accompanied by other more complex surrounding designs as it would interfer. Another AR method was used to render a T-Rex model from a T-Rex pircture (similar to the previous live tracing method previously) however, the 3D figure seemed to have stayed located in one spot (still animated upper body) despite (seemingly) having the NGP camera look away from the live traced AR marker. The Sony rep continued to showcase the almost realistic sized dinosaur AR model.

AR Dinosaur demo:

http://www.mefeedia.com/video/36044647

A few more links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSMWUf-Y8c

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/03/sony-ngp-power/?pid=935&pageid=33328

http://psp.ign.com/articles/115/1153235p1.html

The entire GDC meeting made specifically for the NGP lastet approximetly one hour. No word if more information on the NGP would be revealed before E3.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
im am disapoint over the size of the game cards.....flash memory is cheap sheesh
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Wait... how the hell did that dinosaur thing work?

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts

ot:

i love this screenshot. it shows that ps3 games are only 9GB in size (on average). so much for NEEDING blu-ray.

clicky

edit: argh. can't get the screenshot so i linked it instead.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wakefulness

Wait... how the hell did that dinosaur thing work?

shinrabanshou

The Sony representitive who was playing the demo did not really clarify.

That seems to be the most new feature yet not only for the NGP but, over all it may potentially add something of a new dimnesion to gaming.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts
[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

ot:

i love this screenshot. it shows that ps3 games are only 9GB in size (on average). so much for NEEDING blu-ray.

clicky

Ever heard of multiplat games. *looks at the other systems dics format*
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wakefulness

ot:

clicky

cowgriller

There are likely many studios that opt for a game to make full usage of a BD-ROM and others who do not. Only developers and publishers really know. The chart was basically to illutrate the massiveness of NGP titles compared to PSP and PS3/Xbox 360 games.

The size could expand to 8GB simetime in the future as there are no hardware related limitations such as those found in UMD's and how the UMD's could only have dual layers (led to 2GB max storage).

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

ot:

clicky

cowgriller

Hooray for being irrelevant.

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cowgriller

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

ot:

clicky

lucky_star

Ever heard of multiplat games. *looks at the other systems dics format*

why yes, yes i have. like FF XIII being on multiple dvds on the 360 while only needing one disc for the ps3. but the point i was driving at was that cows (the hardcore ones) are always claiming that blu-ray is a necessity this gen, that ps3 exclusives are 30GB+ in size, blah blah blah. but here's a screenshot from a sony conference saying that the average ps3 game really only takes up 8 GB, the rest of the space being used for redundancy, multiple audio tracks, fmv's, etc.

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cowgriller

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

ot:

clicky

wakefulness

There are likely many studios that opt for a game to make full usage of a BD-ROM and others who do not. Only developers and publishers really know. The chart was basically to illutrate the massiveness of NGP titles compared to PSP and PS3/Xbox 360 games.

The size could expand to 8GB simetime in the future as there are no hardware related limitations such as those found in UMD's and how the UMD's could only have dual layers (led to 2GB max storage).

understood. sony also showed the resolution of most ps3 games being 720p (which is true) in comparison to the original psp and the ngp, basically trying to show that the ngp is close to the performance and resolution of the ps3. and recently seeing the PowerVR SGX543MP2 running a futurmark demo, i gotta say, this thing is a beast. and that demo was running on a phone with a dual core processor with a dual core GPU. the ngp has a quad core processor with a quad core GPU. add in the OLED screen at 5" and this thing is a j*** magnet.

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cowgriller

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

ot:

clicky

shinrabanshou

Hooray for being irrelevant.

i clearly wrote OT. that was the first text in my post. hooray for selective reading comprehension.