A Paradox of Sorts

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

First off, this is lengthy. No, I won't provide summaries. :P

-

Do multiplatform games matter or do they not matter?

This is something in which tends to boggle the mind a bit. It wouldn't be inaccurate to move that most SystemWars Warriors tend to hold true to their hearts the high quality exclusives and show them off to the other respective systems. Brag, and declare ownage when an exclusive they really were looking forward to excels. Exclusives are the main focal point of SystemWars; it keeps the gears turning, and the SystemWars Machine in constant motion. I, for one, enjoy having discussions revolving only around exclusives though I do firmly believe that multiplatform games are now -- in this current generation -- the best games to get.

Now, we always see game lineup comparisons come into the scope of many folks. We enjoy comparing our preferred systems, and laughing or criticizing the other opponent's list. We hear the obvious in regards to the Xbox 360, or some instances for the PS3, list that: "game X is multiplatform." There the list gets largely attacked for being supposedly inaccurate. I don't inherently see anything wrong with doing that, it's the next step that I see which invalidates any complaints that I saw before. Enter the Wii or PC into the argument. Lemmings and cows alike scramble (sometimes together) in order to combat the beast that is the Wii. It's exclusive library towers over the PS3 and Xbox 360, thus the only way to defeat its towering library, multiplatform games get brought up in an exclusive discussion.

Say hello to Mr. Hypocrisy, folks.

-

Do AAEs really matter or do they not matter?

This question has been the most entertaining for me to see, and it's been a bit shifty most of the years that it's hard to nail a starting point when this started becoming an issue. We knew AAEs were high quality games since the early days of SystemWars. But we never had an established tradition which set the standard for when enough made it enough to declare that X-amount of AAEs overtake Y amount of AAAEs. Or in regards to how much worth an AAAAE has over other games. The subjectivity of all this makes this an inherently-unclear problem that may never be solved.

Last year is a perfect example of this, if you look at the SystemWars Awards in 2009, the system which was declared the System of the Year was the PS3. Ironically, you could count the high quality exclusives on the PS3 during that entire year span on one friggin' hand. Now for an entire year, that's an exceedingly dismal number in regards to high quality exclusivity; especially of sorts when you look at the Wii and PC. It would be unfair to label down just what caused members to vote in that direction; fanboyism, sheer amount of enjoyment, and/or using objective reasoning -- your guess is as good as mine. But the main point remains is that the PS3 lacked in the exclusive department, yet still came out on top. Again, what variables could have dictated that response when other systems swept it off the floor?

It's obvious that AAAEs play the main focal roll in discussions, but the question I move forward is why? Is there a huge difference from an 8.5 and a 9.0? If your system of choice gets a couple of AAAEs, does that really make it better than a system without any, yet has multiple AAEs?

-

To cherry pick, or not to cherry pick.

One of the slightly more discussed topics in SystemWars revolves around system-combinations. You know what I'm talking: "the best system combo." I bring up cherry picking because this is exactly what you'll see, there's never an established set standard on how to pick a system combo. Because, well, that would be silly. But! You don't really hear much logic behind folks choosing the combinations, and at the worst of things when you do see it, they present flat out hyperbole. But the question I present is why would they do that? Is it fanboyism, indifference to facts, or just misconceptions based on myths?

If you want access to the highest amount of quality games: the fact remains that the Xbox 360 and PC combination has the highest amount of quality titles. You can check the GS spreadsheet and verify that. If you further add in the XBLA, the margin gets larger by leaps and bounds. If you just want exclusive games, then you're obvious pick would be the Wii since it offers the most quality exclusives by far out of the consoles, and the PC. This is all founded in objective-readily-verifiable evidence.

System combinations isn't the only area in which cherry picking occurs. We see this all the time in regards to posting review scores, or cumulative averages. We grab the highest scores, and we showcase them yet rarely showcase the lower scores and sometimes dismiss lower scores outright if they don't agree with what we want. Furthermore, if one presents an argument in comparing systems libraries, and that person sets an imaginary boundary to where he or she think the drop-off should be -- that's another example of cherry picking.

Or how about the good ol' fashioned screenshot fest. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. You want a bash a game, so you go out of your way to find the worst possible screenshot and post it. Failing to recognize most of the time that when you take one frame out of 30 frames, or 60 frames, while in motion, it's hard to get a high quality image out of that. Again, we see this all the friggin' time. And it's not just the worst screenshots, posting bullshots is another form of cherry-picking. Both these ways are deceptive, though they can be fairly easy to spot. I merely just don't understand the reasoning behind using them. It's one thing to try to dismiss claims of graphical superiority, but to do that by using dishonest means is quite unfortunate.

-

To look forward, or not to look forward.

This one perplexes me to no end. I hear comments all the time about the future of a system's library, yet never recognizing that it does, indeed, have a past. I can understand why you don't want another system, but to dismiss it purely because of the future? I don't know if you know this folks, but a system's games don't exactly disappear after a set time. They're always there. For example, if you won't buy the Xbox 360 merely because the future doesn't look bright, then you're making a fool out of yourself. There's a plethora of other reasons not to buy the Xbox 360, but dismissing it because of the unknown is so backwards thinking that it not only gives me a headache, but also kills a kitten every time. Yep, it does. Think of the poor kitties!

-

To compare, or not to compare.

In order for game X to be better than game Y, it must outscore it. Who in their right mind thought of this logic -- that ship is so full of holes that it would sink faster than a Titantic in an ocean full of mines and icebergs! We see this most common in regards to shooters or racing games. Namely, the most recent suspect is the god awful amount of GT5 and FM3 threads. We get it. FM3 scored a 9.5, and you think that in order for GT5 to be better, it has to score a 10. That's just so false that it gives me a headache. Why can't we compare the substance of the games themselves, and not focus at the scores? This may be shocking, but even if GT5 gets a 9.5 or even *gasp* a 9.0, it could very much be superior to FM3. It all comes down to substance, and styIe.

I'm sure arguments can be made in either or case, but leave the scores behind the score and compare games on an individual scale to what really matters: substance. I can understand comparing systems and using scores as a summary to compare, that holds standing but on an individual level -- it's just not even logical, nor reasonable in any regard for that matter. We all have to take into account standards, and the evolutionary shift of them as higher quality games comes out, and as time progresses. A solid 9.0 from last year could very well get a 8.0 or 8.5 this year depending on how far the genre progresses.

-

To be bothered by marginal difference, or not to be bothered.

This issue arises purely from multiplatform games, and it's another one that happens to spawn and be respawned time and time again. We have countless threads and countless posts arises from multiplatform game differences, and the vast majority of the time, those differences are negligible. For example, take Black Ops for the PS3 and Xbox 360. The differences between them are a few FPS, screentearing, and exceedingly minor contrast/color differences. I doubt anyone could have possibly been able to spot these differences out without external 3rd party technical equipment. Why do we pride ourselves at being so ****ing nitpicky?

I get it. You want the best version, and that's perfectly honest and acceptable for you to do that -- but to point out something small, and then make a large deal about it? Now, you're going into the jerk territory. Painting a bad image on gamers. There's something inherently wrong with that. There's a line, and I can see when performance becomes an issue and it must be brought forward for discussion or glaring obvious graphical differences. But when the difference is entirely negligible? What is the point? Why even bring it up? It's like gaming is taking a back seat in SystemWars to fanboy wars. When is enough, enough?

If folks want to buy the "inferior" version on their respective system of choice, why shouldn't they? It may be foolish depending on the differences, but then again, there's not just one absolute factor in determing which system to buy for.

-

That should cover some of them.

Let me know what you think

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I did not see one pair of ducks in that post. Flagrant false advertising. And I agree: the AAA-AA system of "ownage" is silly. One of my favorite games ever is Shadow of the Colossus, and it was only AA.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Tl:dr Stevo, and yes Multiplatform games matter and AAE's do matter, thats as far as I got.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
A great post Stevo, one that will unfortunately be ignored and overlooked on System Wars. The evidence I have for that? Mine is the first reply to this, and it's been a while since you posted this.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I did not see one pair of ducks in that post. Flagrant false advertising. And I agree: the AAA-AA system of "ownage" is silly. One of my favorite games ever is Shadow of the Colossus, and it was only AA.

clone01
And my favorite game this year got AA too. What is this world coming too... lol :P
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

all I read was the part where do AA's matter or not. Yes.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...kuraimen
How many times are the PS3 version superior?
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

theuncharted34
Well, of course they "matter". But the point is ... do they really matter, or do they just matter when they suit our argument? Got to looksy at the underlying meanings, of course.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

"Enter the Wii or PC into the argument. Lemmings and cows alike scramble (sometimes together) in order to combat the beast that is the Wii. It's exclusive library towers over the PS3 and Xbox 360, thus the only way to defeat its towering library, multiplatform games get brought up in an exclusive discussion."

so true. and that's something I always found to be hilarious.

great post overall though. well I'm sure the 2nd half will be a great read:P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...tagyhag

So pixel differences means the game is NOT on PS3? :roll:
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...tagyhag

5% of the time. 45% of the time they are equal... :( cough bayonetta and Red dead cough.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clone01
Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...kuraimen
so in other words, you didn't even read the post? and then proceeded to make a statement that really doesn't pertain to the point of the thread?
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Well, of course they "matter". But the point is ... do they really matter, or do they just matter when they suit our argument? Got to looksy at the underlying meanings, of course.

They matter all the time. No more heroes 2 and Alan Wake are amazing games. (going by metacritic.)

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Not a wall of text tho. :) They could be referring to exclusives, not all games.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clone01
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...kuraimen

nope, but wouldn't you want to get the better looking version if you could?
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...clone01
so in other words, you didn't even read the post? and then proceeded to make a statement that really doesn't pertain to the point of the thread?

Read a couple of paragraphs. I think it is still valid to the conversation.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...kuraimen

No, the fact that they aren't developed for the PS3, but for the 360, and are later ported over to the PS3 with improper optimizations means that they are INFERIOR. As discerning and discriminating consumers, we who call ourselves 'core gamers' should make it our job to support only the best products. The reason PS3 multiplats are ignored is because they are, in nine cases out of ten, inferior to the Xbox 360 and/or PC versions.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuraimen
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="tagyhag"] How many times are the PS3 version superior?

Yeah but they say there are no games on PS3... nope, but wouldn't you want to get the better looking version if you could?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clone01
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Wall of text FTL! I just find it ridiculous when people say "The PS3 has no games that interest me" but they only buy multiplats on 360 that also are on PS3...kuraimen

Read a couple of paragraphs. I think it is still valid to the conversation.

at what point did Stevo say "The PS3 has no games that interest me?"
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
They matter all the time. No more heroes 2 and Alan Wake are amazing games. (going by metacritic.)theuncharted34
I'm talking underlying meanings, of course. For example, we saw folks praising the PlayStation 3 early in the year because of all the AAEs, yet that same praise was never shown for Wii or PC last year...
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuraimen
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="tagyhag"] How many times are the PS3 version superior?

No, the fact that they aren't developed for the PS3, but for the 360, and are later ported over to the PS3 with improper optimizations means that they are INFERIOR. As discerning and discriminating consumers, we who call ourselves 'core gamers' should make it our job to support only the best products. The reason PS3 multiplats are ignored is because they are, in nine cases out of ten, inferior to the Xbox 360 and/or PC versions.

And this is why I find this all discussion ridiculous, so mutiplats matter only on 360? :roll: yeah I'm leaving this thread now. Have fun...
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
Check it out. You throw a multi AAA in the AAA bin and a AAAE in the AAAE bin. Both count, but to a different extent. The exclusive marker does matter, so does having another AAA, multiplat or otherwise. It counts towards total quality software counts.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

So pixel differences means the game is NOT on PS3? :roll:kuraimen
Even if they were interested in a multiplatform game that's on the system that they don't own, why would they buy an additional system to play that a game when they can just get it on the system they already own?

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

No but I'd be ashamed to call myself a gamer if I chose the inferior version just because I have brand loyalty.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clone01
[QUOTE="kuraimen"] And this is why I find this all discussion ridiculous, so mutiplats matter only on 360? :roll: yeah I'm leaving this thread now. Have fun...

how do multiplats only matter on 360? he said that the 360 has better looking multiplats (which I only agree with a little, to be honest).
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] So pixel differences means the game is NOT on PS3? :roll:

And this is why I find this all discussion ridiculous, so mutiplats matter only on 360? :roll: yeah I'm leaving this thread now. Have fun...

No, but that is why they matter on the Xbox 360 MORE ONLY ON SYSTEM WARS. Geez, this is a forum that is full of people dedicated to pulling a game down because it runs at 720p, a forum that overlooks the existence of an entire CONSOLE because it is sub HD, a forum that spent half a year in frantic frenzy awaiting a game sequel just because it would be 'graphics king.' You think that this forum WOULDN'T feel that a game that looks better on one platform matters only on that platform? This is System Wars. Things here are ridiculous. Deal with it, that's how it is.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Brownesque
The majority of the time nowadays multiplats are similar enough where they don't get a score dock on any of the major review publications, which is to the point where it shouldn't affect SW tallies anyways. Although, certain games, such as Rainbow Six Vegas 1 on PS3, were horrible, horrible ports and thus highly overrated in the press. The game was choppy as hell, srs. If superior multiplats count, btw, PC wins system wars, lol.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Now, we always see game lineup comparisons come into the scope of many folks. We enjoy comparing our preferred systems, and laughing or criticizing the other opponent's list. We hear the obvious in regards to the Xbox 360, or some instances for the PS3, list that: "game X is multiplatform." There the list gets largely attacked for being supposedly inaccurate. I don't inherently see anything wrong with doing that, it's the next step that I see which invalidates any complaints that I saw before. Enter the Wii or PC into the argument. Lemmings and cows alike scramble (sometimes together) in order to combat the beast that is the Wii. It's exclusive library towers over the PS3 and Xbox 360, thus the only way to defeat its towering library, multiplatform games get brought up in an exclusive discussion.

Say hello to Mr. Hypocrisy, folks.

Stevo_the_gamer

I know what you mean, I see this all the time. Nice thread.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

so true. and that's something I always found to be hilarious.

HavocV3

As do I. Though I must admit that I facepalm from time to time :P

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="clone01"] how do multiplats only matter on 360? he said that the 360 has better looking multiplats (which I only agree with a little, to be honest).

Honestly, I don't recall even mentioning multiplatform differences in my thread. Though that does seem like a worthy topic to expand upon indeed... Hmm, perhaps some OP amending is needed.
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts

And this is why I find this all discussion ridiculous, so mutiplats matter only on 360? :roll: yeah I'm leaving this thread now. Have fun...kuraimen
Score 1 for good logic. Ahhh yeeeaaah. :D

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="tagyhag"] How many times are the PS3 version superior?clone01

Most of the time, there is no noticable difference. Sometimes, the 360 version is marginally better. Very rarely, the 360 version is better enough to make a difference in the score (of course, a few have scored better on ps3, as well). For the vast majority of multiplats, the difference in controllers, which network you have more friends on, or whether you would rather boost your gamerscore or trophy level make a far bigger difference in which is the "better" version than any actual differences in the game, and all those are matters of preference. So, yeah, you do want to get the "better" version, but even if the 360 version was always the (marginally) better looking version, I'd still take the ps3 because it has, imo, the better exclusives, and no, I would not rather have the "better" version of multiplats if it means missing all the better exclusives. Which is why exclusives matter far more than multis.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]They matter all the time. No more heroes 2 and Alan Wake are amazing games. (going by metacritic.)Stevo_the_gamer
I'm talking underlying meanings, of course. For example, we saw folks praising the PlayStation 3 early in the year because of all the AAEs, yet that same praise was never shown for Wii or PC last year...

if by folks you mean fanboy's than the answer is obvious. People just like to cherrypick. Hell, sometimes I enjoy AA games more than AAA. Although rarely.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

if by folks you mean fanboy's than the answer is obvious. People just like to cherrypick. Hell, sometimes I enjoy AA games more than AAA. Although rarely.

theuncharted34

No, not fanboys -- well, there was fanboys, but not all of them were folks showcasing blind loyalty to a respective company.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Well thought out an written post, and respectable to the last sentence, a are find in systems wars. But there will always be differing opinions and here are mine.

They do in fact matter, but only to an extent. When it comes to it, you see the multiplatform lineup, when comparing near even systems in regards to performance like the 360 and PS3, as a constant, a comparable standard to judge a game lineup to. Unlike the PS3 and 360, who's differences between the mulitplats on each system are negligible, you see the PC and Wii. The Wii lacks many of the quality multiplatforms or has them at a considerably lower quality in most instances. At the same times, it has built itself up a quality library, and because of that its playing catchup with that library for the standard set by the PS3 and 360. Its done a good job at this, but its odd situation makes it more difficult to fairly compare at any rate, though people will do it anyways. As for the PC, its a different gaming experience, so I, a player of both PC and consoles, usually keep them distinct to what they are.

-

Do AAEs really matter or do they not matter?

I whole heartily agree. Truly too much dependence has been given on the opinions of a select few in the gaming review community, and they can come to make or break a game because of it. The reason it happens, though, is because when you have a few direhard sides that have lacked the chance or willingness to actually try the substance that would be required to compare both sides to each other, the ability to have conversations without taking other's opinions is lost.

-

To cherry pick, or not to cherry pick.

Also a matter of opinion. The best combination will always be every console and the PC. When dealing with two, you can easily argue the best combo is PS3 and PC because of the 360 games finding their ways onto PC, making the PS3 games more exclusive and that combination more viable. You could also argue the Wii and PC, due to the huge amount of exclusives for Wii and the higher capability of a well maintained gaming PC. Everyone has its upsides and given this is system wars, no one is going to convince another that they're wrong.

-

To look forward, or not to look forward.

It is an important point. Yes there is a quality library, but not every cares about older games. I bought a N64 well after its time, and bought only a few of its best games that it had. I played them and have only touched it occasionally for a replay. The problem arises that old games are simply that: old. With that in mind, much enthusiasm about any game will be found in one of two things: potential and legacy. Potential is a future possibility that has yet to have expectations cut by aging enthusiasm for said game. If the game is older, it will lose its ability to appeal. Even a few years will do this to most games. Even very good games now will not have the legacy to follow up and make up for its aging. Only the great ones do, and systems like the 360 has a some, but not enough yet have established themselves in this category on any current gen system for them to rely on their legacy and not get bashed for it.

To compare, or not to compare.

Didn't you already make this argument earlier? Well, nonetheless, games are, as I said before, to dependent on their quality rating to come from a select few. The system does give a good way to get a general idea on quality though. Rarely will it exactly right in the viewers eyes, but more often than not they get the general quality level down.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]They matter all the time. No more heroes 2 and Alan Wake are amazing games. (going by metacritic.)theuncharted34

I have over 800 hours logged in Red Orchestra, which scored AE. The sad thing is I probably have dozens more hours logged while playing offline. But that's more due to the fact that reviewers don't give out points for the depth of the gameplay mechanics or for originality. It takes like 4 mediocre iterations in a good to average franchise before reviewers will start to note that it's getting stale before stamping it with a big fat 9 again.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clone01

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] So pixel differences means the game is NOT on PS3? :roll:ianuilliam

Most of the time, there is no noticable difference. Sometimes, the 360 version is marginally better. Very rarely, the 360 version is better enough to make a difference in the score (of course, a few have scored better on ps3, as well). For the vast majority of multiplats, the difference in controllers, which network you have more friends on, or whether you would rather boost your gamerscore or trophy level make a far bigger difference in which is the "better" version than any actual differences in the game, and all those are matters of preference. So, yeah, you do want to get the "better" version, but even if the 360 version was always the (marginally) better looking version, I'd still take the ps3 because it has, imo, the better exclusives, and no, I would not rather have the "better" version of multiplats if it means missing all the better exclusives. Which is why exclusives matter far more than multis.

i don't envy you, as you miss some great pc/360 games, along with some great 360 exclusives.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clone01

ianuilliam

also, this user claims to own a 360. again, i ask, why wouldn't you want the better looking version if you had the choice?

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] nope, but wouldn't you want to get the better looking version if you could?clone01

i don't envy you, as you miss some great pc/360 games, along with some great 360 exclusives.

Not really. I mean, I have a pc too, and I have friends and family with 360s. I don't see the point in buying two $300 systems that are so similar, and I would be missing out on a lot more games that actually interest me if i went 360.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 theuncharted34

off topic but I think monster hunter tri should have been AAA. And I know Kirby should be AAA.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lx_theo

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]Most of the time, there is no noticable difference. Sometimes, the 360 version is marginally better. Very rarely, the 360 version is better enough to make a difference in the score (of course, a few have scored better on ps3, as well). For the vast majority of multiplats, the difference in controllers, which network you have more friends on, or whether you would rather boost your gamerscore or trophy level make a far bigger difference in which is the "better" version than any actual differences in the game, and all those are matters of preference. So, yeah, you do want to get the "better" version, but even if the 360 version was always the (marginally) better looking version, I'd still take the ps3 because it has, imo, the better exclusives, and no, I would not rather have the "better" version of multiplats if it means missing all the better exclusives. Which is why exclusives matter far more than multis.

clone01

also, this user claims to own a 360. again, i ask, why wouldn't you want the better looking version if you had the choice?

I think you might have some facts mixed up, lol *looks at post right below quoted one.*
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clone01

Not really. I mean, I have a pc too, and I have friends and family with 360s. I don't see the point in buying two $300 systems that are so similar, and I would be missing out on a lot more games that actually interest me if i went 360.

ianuilliam

i never said "going" with any system. its fine if you don't like the 360, but others find its well worth it. as an aside, it is funny that die-hard PS3 fans always "magically" have a gaming rig. funny, i've never really seen you make many PC posts.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lx_theo

i never said "going" with any system. its fine if you don't like the 360, but others find its well worth it. as an aside, it is funny that die-hard PS3 fans always "magically" have a gaming rig. funny, i've never really seen you make many PC posts.

clone01

Usually because people like me, own both, but much prefer the PS3, and see the PC games a secondary source of gaming and don't care a whole lot about them because of it. At least I'm like that.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

So the paradox is that there's a legitimate discussion topic being presented to a forum full of fanboys and fangirls?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
[QUOTE="lx_theo"] Usually because people like me, own both, but much prefer the PS3, and see the PC games a secondary source of gaming and don't care a whole lot about them because of it. At least I'm like that.

certainly...it just seems to be a very high number here at SW.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"] Usually because people like me, own both, but much prefer the PS3, and see the PC games a secondary source of gaming and don't care a whole lot about them because of it. At least I'm like that.clone01

Most people have a computer, I wouldn't be surprised if many went and spent less than it would cost to buy another console to upgrade it to a gaming capability quality. To find a link between your suspicion that a lot have it and people, as you are blatantly implying, making it up to help their arguments is completely illogical to come to as a conclusion.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

Someone must do a TL: DR version for me.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="lx_theo"] Usually because people like me, own both, but much prefer the PS3, and see the PC games a secondary source of gaming and don't care a whole lot about them because of it. At least I'm like that.

Most people have a computer, I wouldn't be surprised if many went and spent less than it would cost to buy another console to upgrade it to a gaming capability quality. To find a link between your suspicion that a lot have it and people, as you are blatantly implying, making it up to help their arguments is completely illogical to come too.

its speculation, certainly, but i can be if you asked these people to post picture of these multiplats running on their rigs, they'd be hardpressed to do so outside of consulting google.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lx_theo

[QUOTE="lx_theo"][QUOTE="clone01"] certainly...it just seems to be a very high number here at SW.clone01
Most people have a computer, I wouldn't be surprised if many went and spent less than it would cost to buy another console to upgrade it to a gaming capability quality. To find a link between your suspicion that a lot have it and people, as you are blatantly implying, making it up to help their arguments is completely illogical to come too.

its speculation, certainly, but i can be if you asked these people to post picture of these multiplats running on their rigs, they'd be hardpressed to do so outside of consulting google.

Because its a huge annoying hassle. Its a person on the internet you'll probably never talk to again. Who'd want to go through all that extra trouble for that?