PS3 Slim vs repaired 60GB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HULKMANIA_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HULKMANIA_001
Member since 2003 • 251 Posts

I was wondering if SW could give me an input on whether or not I should buy a new 120GB PS3 Slim OR repair my 60GB PS3. My 60gb has had a burnt out laser and cannot read any discs, however all other functionalities are fine and working, such as XMB, PSN, playing games installed on PS3( burnout). I believe the standard price for this fix is $150 CDN.

SO what do you think?

Also if I was to sell my 60GB as is, how much do you guys think I would get?

ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
get your 60gb fixed :)
HULKMANIA_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HULKMANIA_001
get your 60gb fixed :)ANIALATOR136
My main concern about fixing is, what if it happens again? do you know anyone thats had a repaired laser and had any problems afterward?
erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

do you have a PS2 sitting around? i have a feeling BC will come back. sony already filed a patent for software BC.

you would probably get back the market price of a 60gb PS3 minus the $150 CND. maybe even less. if you have a PS2 sitting around or if you barely play your old PS2 games, just get a Slim.

Spoiledgenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Spoiledgenius
Member since 2009 • 622 Posts

get PS3 slim

ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
[QUOTE="ANIALATOR136"]get your 60gb fixed :)HULKMANIA_001
My main concern about fixing is, what if it happens again? do you know anyone thats had a repaired laser and had any problems afterward?

no sorry. You could get it insured perhaps?
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
[QUOTE="ANIALATOR136"]get your 60gb fixed :)HULKMANIA_001

I've had two 60GB PS3's that developed Blu-ray drive issues. The first 60GB PS3 stopped reading discs after four months of light use. I phoned Sony and they sent me a refurbished console as a replacement. The refurbished console is 18 months old and that stopped reading discs a week ago. Sony said since it's past the 12 month warranty I'll have to pay for another refurbished console. I'm sick of these unreliable Fat 60GB's. I'm not going to buy another one when it'll probably die after a year or two. I've still got my Slim PS2 so I'm just going to get the Slim PS3 when it's released on Tuesday. Too many people have had issues with the 60GB PS3's for it to just be bad luck. There's obviously a pretty major problem with them. Sony will never admit that though. Every time I phone them when my PS3 breaks the guy on the phone acts like he's never heard of a PS3 breaking before. I give him the error codes and he says he's got no info on his system about that error code. Google 80029906 and you'll see many other people have had the same problem as me.
-ColinR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -ColinR-
Member since 2009 • 424 Posts

Get a Slim. If you got your 60GB repaired there's a strong chance it would just break again.

HULKMANIA_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HULKMANIA_001
[QUOTE="HULKMANIA_001"][QUOTE="ANIALATOR136"]get your 60gb fixed :)x-2tha-z

I've had two 60GB PS3's that developed Blu-ray drive issues. The first 60GB PS3 stopped reading discs after four months of light use. I phoned Sony and they sent me a refurbished console as a replacement. The refurbished console is 18 months old and that stopped reading discs a week ago. Sony said since it's past the 12 month warranty I'll have to pay for another refurbished console. I'm sick of these unreliable Fat 60GB's. I'm not going to buy another one when it'll probably die after a year or two. I've still got my Slim PS2 so I'm just going to get the Slim PS3 when it's released on Tuesday. Too many people have had issues with the 60GB PS3's for it to just be bad luck. There's obviously a pretty major problem with them. Sony will never admit that though. Every time I phone them when my PS3 breaks the guy on the phone acts like he's never heard of a PS3 breaking before. I give him the error codes and he says he's got no info on his system about that error code. Google 80029906 and you'll see many other people have had the same problem as me.

That's sad to hear. the 80029906 code i believe is for another hardware failure others call YLOD, i dont think i have that, but if its true that its mainly 60gb ps3s that are plagued by issues I might as well get a new one.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
[QUOTE="HULKMANIA_001"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="HULKMANIA_001"] My main concern about fixing is, what if it happens again? do you know anyone thats had a repaired laser and had any problems afterward?

That's sad to hear. the 80029906 code i believe is for another hardware failure others call YLOD, i dont think i have that, but if its true that its mainly 60gb ps3s that are plagued by issues I might as well get a new one.

I don't have the YLOD either. I get that error code when I try to load a Blu-ray disc. It says the disc is invalid. Everything else works fine, such as the XMB and PSN games I play from the hard drive. My problem is the laser isn't reading discs properly. Sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#11 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

It's a crap shoot either way, but at least with the 60g you know about the reliability....the verdict is still out on the PS3 slim.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I would get the 60 gig repaired or if your good mechanically you could do this yourself. If my 60 ever fails that's what I will do. I have had my 60 for over two years now and it has never had a hardware problem, the only problems I have had is with certain games that had buggy codeing.