Left 4 Dead multi core rendering stutter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kenwyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kenwyne
Member since 2008 • 455 Posts

I know that this stutter is caused by the multi core rendering option being enabled in game, but when i enable it, my fps increases dramatically. I lowered my texture quality to medium and my fps keeps going over 100. If i disable it it drops to about 50-60 and during horde attacks, it drops below 20 sometimes. Are there any Nvidia drivers that can get rid of the stutter? From what everyone has been saying, they're the cause of the problem.

Kenwyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kenwyne

I'm currently using 185.20 drivers if that helps.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Go into the command console and type fps_max 60 when you enable multi-core rendering on your PC bud.

Kenwyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kenwyne

Is that not just the same as enabling v-sync?

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
Disable it. It's buggy. But unlike for you, my FPS increases with the option turned off.
Kenwyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kenwyne

Well, that's precisely my problem. I want good frames, especially seeing as they're vital in a game like this. I can't really cope with 20-30fps in firefights.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OoSuperMarioO

Well, if you are using a LCD monitor then V-Sync will be a great choice to be enable including triple Buffering as well to support the V-sync enable. Capping your FPS works differently then V-sync, rather V-Sync works in sync with your monitor swapping the frame buffer when the monitor is ready to display another image.

Kenwyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kenwyne
Well, i have a crt :P
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OoSuperMarioO

Can you link your monitor refresh rate?

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts

probably your drivers. I used to have issues like that and after updating drivers the game runs smooth. I recommend rolling back or updating drivers depending on your card (my 8800 is at 182.5)/ try a beta driver. But rolling back is probably your best bet

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OoSuperMarioO

Well, I done testing years ago when Team Fortress 2 launched with multi-core enable tweaks, and I had the same issue. I had to cap my fps to my monitors refresh rate to stop the stutters. I'm uncertain if AMD processors works well with multi-core enable in L4D or TF2, however Intel Quad Cores and Core 2 Duos worked magnificently.

Kenwyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kenwyne

I've just updated my drivers to 185.81 and now, on medium settings with multi core rendering enabled i'm hitting over 110fps indoors and going no lower than about 40.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bumzur

Well, I done testing years ago when Team Fortress 2 launched with multi-core enable tweaks, and I had the same issue. I had to cap my fps to my monitors refresh rate to stop the stutters. I'm uncertain if AMD processors works well with multi-core enable in L4D or TF2, however Intel Quad Cores and Core 2 Duos worked magnificently.

OoSuperMarioO
Unless me and the OP were experiencing completely different things - this problem isn't solved by capping FPS. What would happen is that the game would run smoothly, and then all of a sudden it will pause to a complete stop for a second, it will go smooth again, stop for a few more seconds, and it'll repeat on and off. It's pretty much unplayable. It's a glitch with the way L4D handles multicore support and it's common.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

Bumzur

Unless me and the OP were experiencing completely different things - this problem isn't solved by capping FPS. What would happen is that the game would run smoothly, and then all of a sudden it will pause to a complete stop for a second, it will go smooth again, stop for a few more seconds, and it'll repeat on and off. It's pretty much unplayable. It's a glitch with the way L4D handles multicore support and it's common.

Ah, then it has to be the processor. It helps plenty when guys share they specs when having these problems. I'm confident if you were to swap your CPU with say a Core 2 duo then these issues will never persist.

Edit: I can be wrong, but capping the FPS should work if you are experiencing these problems on a Core 2 duo or Quad Core CPU.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bumzur

[QUOTE="Bumzur"][QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

OoSuperMarioO

Ah, then it has to be the processor. It helps plenty when guys share they specs when having these problems. I'm confident if you were to swap your CPU with say a Core 2 duo then these issues will never persist.

Edit: I can be wrong, but capping the FPS should work if you are experiencing these problems on a Core 2 duo or Quad Core CPU.

I have an E8400 Core 2 Duo myself and I've tried V-Sync, Capping my FPS, etc, and my only solution was to turn it off. As for the OP, I'm not sure if we experience the same symptoms so he'll have to clear that one up.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I've just updated my drivers to 185.81 and now, on medium settings with multi core rendering enabled i'm hitting over 110fps indoors and going no lower than about 40.

Kenwyne

Wow! I'm going to have to update my drivers.