Xbox 360 controller doesn't work on PC but works on laptop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 QuitoFOOL
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts
When I try to plug my wired xbox 360 controller into my PC a message tells me that the device is unrecognized and has malfunctioned. I've installed the correct drivers and I've tried many workarounds that I've found on forums. I know the controller works because I use it on my laptop for Fallout 3. I would really like to use my controller on my home PC as well, could someone please help me with this problem?
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
try it with another 360 controller if you've got one.
QuitoFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 QuitoFOOL
Member since 2004 • 289 Posts
i dont have another at the moment. i can try to borrow one from a friend tomorrow. but shouldnt mine still work if it works on my other computer and on my xbox? ill still try another one out once i get a chance. anyone else have some suggestions?
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Here are a couple of things to try. Uninstall the USB drivers for your mobo's USB ports. Reboot and reinstall the latest drivers or use generic win drivers if that what your board uses. Of course you should have any board specific drivers on hand before you uninstall the old ones. Also, make sure all USB devices are unplugged when you do this. Try to use a PS2 keyboard unless you have no other choice. Dont use a USB mouse during this procedure. Use the keyboard for all of it. After the drivers are reinstalled, then you can reconnect everything. This should not affect any device specific drivers other than your USB host controller. In other words, you wont need to reinstall any other devices.

Also, consider using USBDview to remove the device ID for the 360 controller. After that, reboot again. This time reinstall the 360 controller on another USB port if you can. Sometimes USB ports devlope "issues" and a house cleaning is needed to fix them. These steps are pretty much a good method for doing that. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Larlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Larlos
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I have the same problem. I use Win Xp SP3 and, the controller worked well for three days and now, when i plug it on pc: "usb device not recognized". I already installed and uninstalled the xbox driver' for Win XP, uninstalled the usb driver from mobo, but the problem continues. I know the controller is working, when i plug it on my father's pc (an old P4 with XP SP3), it's automatically detected as "controller". Any idea?