FALLOUT 3 : Crashes and freezes in game??? Different from others

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pyr0m4ni4c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 pyr0m4ni4c
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I have been trying to find someone out there with the same problems as me in Fallout 3, but have not found anyone.

A lot of people say that they find checkered squares, but I haven't encountered that. When I open pip-boy, or VATS it has a chance of completely freezing, no squares, just a frozen screen. The background music continues to play, and there is no sound loop if I just shot or what not. I cannot ALT + TAB out, ALT F4, WINDOWS + D, WINDOWS + M, CTRL + ALT + DEL, anything. Basically, I have to restart.

And that is only sometimes.

Other times, it will just crash. The Fallout window will just close immediately, going to desktop, as if nothing had happened. Everything runs fine.

And then sometimes it crashes and messes up the desktop. It will crash, and the resolution will be like 640x480, and color all messed up, similar to when you first install windows without any drivers. There will also be a Microsoft Error report saying Fallout 3 has encountered a problem and closed. After pressing Don't Send, I just restart the comp and the res and color is back to normal.

I have never encountered a time where it has crashed with squares everywhere.

It appears to be random, but NORMALLY happens when I do something In-Game, like open pip-boy 3000, or go into VATS, similar to what others have said.

I have EAH4870 ASUS (which I am now regretting after all these FC2, and fallout crashes), 6600 intel quad, mobo is p5ql-e, 2 gigs RAM.

I doubt it is my card overheating. The fan on it is working fine, and my case has two fans, both pretty close to the card. There is no lag as well. Havent checked fps in fallout, but my fps in fc2 is above 40's and in crysis its low 40's.

My drivers are all up to date, I updated them maybe 2 days ago.

I would not be surprised to hear if this is because of the video card, because I had the same problem in FarCry 2, which I fixed by installing the VGA hotfix 8.1.

Anybody know what to do?

Specs again: ASUS EAH4870 1G DDR5, 2GB RAM, Q6600 INTEL QUAD, P5QL-E Motherboard.

tl;dr = fallout is crashing, i have a 4870, no squares

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

You could always use driver cleaner 3 (free) to fully uninstall all nvidia or ati drivers. Reboot and then re-install the latest drivers and see if that helps.

Good Luck.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
I've read that Asus mobo owners that disabled the Asus utility that runs in the background that it fixes their issues.
pyr0m4ni4c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pyr0m4ni4c

GPaddict

I just installed on my drivers like a week ago, HIGHLY doubt thats the problem

Qixote

I dont know what ASUS utility youa re speaking of, but it is one of the optional things like AI doctor or what not, I did not install any of the optional tools.

thanks for the insight though

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
It's weird that people are having problems with Fallout 3. The only problem I've had was the game freezing on me and it's only happened twice, Finished the game. I have an ASUS board, and a 9600GT+ 9450 Quad. I would say it's probably most likely due to your graphic card. But it's not your fault, I am sure they will patch it sooner or later.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I have no problems with the game, take a small time to start but once it does it works like a charm.
DrewTheSchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#7 DrewTheSchu
Member since 2003 • 518 Posts

on the official fallout 3 forums, there are HUNDREDS of posts of people's game crashing like crazy. There is such a huge difference in mobo's, video cards, ram, cpu's, os, etc and numerous of different types of crashes and locations. There are tons of user fixes that work for some and not others. I too am having problems but it seems we're just going to have to wait for a patch to fix this mess up.

It's a shame because what I have been able to play has been very fun so far.

pyr0m4ni4c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pyr0m4ni4c

zaku,

I understand that they are going to patch it, but how long will that take? IMO they should have thought about tis before they released the game.

Treflis

That comment did not contribute at all. Thanks for trying.

aschuhart

thanks for the info. Didn't know that this was so widespread.

I'll prolly check the official forums for something similar to my problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I have nearly identical crashes on my pc as you have on yours, and sadly it corrupts windows with that crash for me atleast.

the game will randomly freeze, background sound will keep playing (like music, wind effects, ect.)

after restart my windows will act up doing the exact same thing as the game did, randomly hangs...

Ive reformated, reinstalled all other things, works fine, installs Fallout 3 again, it crashes, and again my windows begins to hang 1-2 mins after boot up.

as said there are hundreds of people who have different problems.

but take a look at my specs and see if you have something similar specs as me, to see if we have any common things

Intel 6850 @3.00 Ghz

Windows Vista 64.bit

4gb ram

Creative X-fi Extreme audio (there are other problems with this card and fallout 3 I know)

Gf 8800 Ultra

and a Msi p33 motherboard.

Edited- Patch out very soon, in the next few days, but will only fix a few minor crashes (like crash on quitting) A major patch is bieng worked on aswell but no ETA on it.

2nd edit- diddnt see your specs untill now :s kinda odd that they have very little in common tho...

pyr0m4ni4c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pyr0m4ni4c

Maddie_Larkin

Thanks for the info

Our situations are quite similar, but I found that Windows does not bug up on restart. When I restart, it is as if nothing happened.

And forgot to mention in original post, i have Windows XP Professional.

Lets just hope that patch seals the deal

best of luck fixing your comp

kastisok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kastisok
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I realy dont undestand why my fallout feezes ewery 5-10 min still the sounds of fallout still working just controls locks and i have to alt+ctrl + del and end task why this is hapening!?:o:cry:
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

If you have the k-lite codec pack or anything similar which uses ffdshow, make sure fallout is not being processed through ffdshow... just an idea as it has caused lots of problems if you have not checked that... I've also not had a single crash since disabing xfire, but that doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

ziljavac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ziljavac
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i have all kind of crashes.

so the first one was when i exit the game. a pop-up comes saying that fallout3.exe stoped working. what doesent matters because i already exited the game. so no problem. i played a few times with same thing for a couple of hours with no problems. then the game started to lagg crutialy when i open v.a.t.s. it hapend many times. some sort of a frezze and i cant do anything. then the game started crashing randomly in game. always the same report: fallout3.exe stoped working. it hapends randomly by time and places. i searched many forums and tried to find a solution but nothing helped.

my comp:

4gb ram

8800 gts - 512mb

amd dual core 2x2.5 ghz black edition

windows vista ultimate 64-bit

There are many people with bunch of random crashes and frezzings:

1. crashes randomly (like mine)

2.crashes when exiting the vault 101

3. crashes when your being born

4.crashes in menu

5. freezing instalation

6. freezing in vats

7. freezing with sounds and graphic glitchs.

i just read this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fallout-3-Patch-Coming-97223.shtml

i really hope that this patch will fixes the problem because the game is super but it doesent work for many people!

Dark_prince123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Dark_prince123
Member since 2008 • 1149 Posts
Guys I don't know what's your proplem I've been playing the game for 2 hours and nothing happend to me at first i get scared but then nothing happend My rig MSI 945 Motherboard Nvidia 7600 GS 2gb Of ram 3.0 GHz Dual Core and am running the game on high
ziljavac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ziljavac
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
my friend has been playing for a couple of hours on his rig and it works perfectly! dont know whats the problem with all the others but the patch is coming soon! thank god! :D
Lord_Norr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lord_Norr

Game crashes for me are usually linked to savegames. Either autosave or quicksave. When the game tries either I get a CTD. But it has also frozen a few times at random. Such a shame. The game is so good and its ruined by this BIG issue.

aeterna789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aeterna789
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

pyr0m4ni4c, I have the same EXACT problem. Game freezes, music goes on the back ground, desktop resolution and color gets totally screwed up and restart of the system is the only solution. For me this is really getting to be a game stopper, I simply love playing this game. The freeze usually happen in V.A.T.S, NPC Conversations and at Random moments.

System Specs:
Operatiing System: Windows XP Professional SP2
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz
Video Card: MSI NX8800GT
RAM: Corsair Twin XMS2 2GB
Latest Drivers on everything

I tried the ffdshow fix but did not help.

Zombie_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zombie_UK
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yup i get The same bloody problem...even tho i upgraded from GeForce 6200LE to 9500GT....still no bloody luck although the graphics tons better....WHAT THIS THE FREAKING PROBLEM WITH THESE CRASHES? I want to play Fallout 3....I payed good Money for it and it crashes...even with a high standrad top of the range Graphics Card...yes i got all the drivers and stuff...but A Error has Been caused...gos to desktop...either in the low 3 color bit or standrad bit....And yes I reset too..

Damit Bathesda.........You should of let Interplay have a look at it,.....They did come up with The idea after all. idiots

davidskim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 davidskim1

I have freezing with music still playing as well. Sometimes, if I wait, it turns into a stutter and will recover after about 2-4 minutes. I get the problem under the following conditions

1) When more than one CPU AI defined scripted story in some occasional situations. ie. when entering the mother ANT in the "Those" script, but going through the hallway outside the cave quickly without looking in has no freeze/stuttering. Another example was at the super-mart where there are 3 raider guys in a patrol. Attacking them at once where they all turn on you immediately gets a freeze. But I decided to snipe from a distance so that one would come at me at a time and was able to kill each one individually as they came closer with no freezing or stuttering.

2) Quicksaving or Manual save sporadically. Deleting the recent temp save and 1 or 2 previous saves and then starting from there sometimes got me going again. I haven't toyed with waiting for a suspect really slow quicksave. Perhaps I'll wait 5-10 minutes to see if indeed this is true. Recovering from a previous or most recent save sometimes locks up the game when I select load/continue from the most recent and upon clicking "Yes" to continue loading, I get the a total freeze of at least 2 minutes. Haven't waited longer. Deleting the saved game manually and going with a slightly older save will run ok.

3) Random freezes/stuttering have ONLY happened when an opposing foe is in view who has spotted me and a 2nd or 3rd foe comes out from behind a building as such and rush me. When nobody is attacking me, I have never had a freeze/stutter problem whether in a building or outside.

Hardware specs:

Asus P5k3 motherboard, Q6600 intel CPU

EVGA 8800GT SC

4 GB Corsiar dual Channel memory

using onboard audio

3rd party fans were installed on the Video card and each hard drive. Even the memory has heat sink 2 inch long fins on them.

Case is a Thermaltake Tornado with 5 fans running. CPU at max run is 42C and motherboard at 45C.

Hard Drive Seagate 400GB, 2 1.5 GB and other external drive

My current problem is that quicksaving or saving manually freezes the game completely and requires a C+A+D to quit the game.

The most irritating thing about this whole thing is that I had Fallout 3 installed and went through the game already and loved it A LOT. One of the few games to come along in a long time that triggered this reaction in me and has resulted in this post to look for help and inform others of possible resolution of their own issues. But after a Vista crash resulting from a dead hard drive, the new install of Vista ( that is really clean with no SW installed other than MS Office and Firefox) has all kinds of problems when running Fallout 3 with this freezing thing.

Through other board entries and my own troubleshooting, I have tried the following things:

1) Using the FPS Limiter 0.2 Java app to change the frames down to 30. Seemed to work for an hour, but now no longer works and same symptons exist.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33935231

2) Installed Vista 64 ultimate with no SW on a new partition on got the same problems.

3) Installed Windows XP Professional with all patches including SP3 with no other software and Fallout 3 froze and stuttered.

4) Installed Windows 7 Ultimate Beta and had the freezing and stuttering and now save freezing as well.

5) Installed the latest Fallout 3 patch and didn't change anything on all 3 OS installs.

6) Installed the latest Nvidia video drivers (non-beta), audio drivers and motherboard drivers.

7) Used a shortcut on the desktop rather than launching from the folder of the main executable.

8) created a managed path exception for the Fallout3 game folder and the preferences folder in the My documents\my games folder for AVG to not scan.

9) Uninstalled cleanly and manually removed all folders left, rebooted and reinstalled.

10) Manually installed Direct X 9c rather than have Fallout3 try it.

11) Tried playing windowed instead of full screen

12) Force vsync on rather than auto on the NVidia control panel for the Video Card.

13) Took into account known Fallout3 bugs at http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_bugs and my freezes and stuttering occurances don't match up.

14) Edited the Fallout.ini for performance with the following changes (Note: if you don't find the entries, then add them)

NOTE: Not every entry listed here is found in Fallout 3's ini, but most are.

First, locate your ini for Fallout 3. Usually at:
C:Documents and SettingsYourNameMy DocumentsMy GamesFallout3

The settings won't affect your image quality, but they do help with in-game stuttering. You can double the default values if you have 1GB of RAM, and then double them again if you have 2GB of RAM. The first two values (uInteriorCell Buffer and uExterior Cell Buffer) determine how much memory Fallout 3 dedicates to buffering these areas. You can leave these values at default if you wish, but if you have the RAM to spare, crank it up to at least the 1GB level. iPreload ****Limit determines how much RAM Fallout 3 gets to play with when it has to load levels.

Default:
uInterior Cell Buffer=3
uExterior Cell Buffer=36
iPreload****imit=26214400

1GB of RAM:
uInterior Cell Buffer=6
uExterior Cell Buffer=72
iPreload****imit=52428800

2GB of RAM:
uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
iPreload****imit=104857600

If they aren't already set to 1 in your .ini file, change the following settings to 1 for some preloading goodness. These settings allow the game to preload textures and other files related to where you are. Load times might increase a little bit if you do so, but the change should noticeably reduce in-game hitching.

bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1
bBackgroundCellLoads=1
bLoadHelmetsInBackground=1
iBackgroundLoadLoading=1
bBackgroundPathing=1

If you happen to have a dual-core CPU, enable the following settings. They, too, will help with loading and give slight boosts to performance.

Multithreading Tweaks:
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
iNumHavokThreads=5
iThreads=9
iOpenMPLevel=10

15) Edited the Fallout.ini to lower graphic quality to see if that would get rid of stuttering.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,666878/News/Fallout_3_Better_graphics_with_ini_Tuning_-_comparative_screenshots/

16) Tried resetting codecs by using the guideline at http://nightmare2013.brashendeavors.net/

17) Some peopel have reported issues with Quad CPU's, especially the Q6600 to be suspect. Disabling the 2-4 core cpu's has no affect according to those who have tried. In fact, the computer is far less stable as a result. I didn't bother trying.

========================================

But after reading the article at http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171464 my hopes were dashed because it became clear to me that the freezing thing is a known problem by Bethesda and that they are currently working it. Gads!Try any of these solutions. I hope they work for you. They didn't for me, but I've heard of many who have tried some of these and it worked for them.

What an awesome game that I have to stop playing. Sucks! Best wishes to you and I hope you can continue to play this screwed up wonderful game for many hours.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#20 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
With me, I keep getting my Windows mouse pointer showing over the game, and when I click with this pointer showing over the game, it'll minimize the game to the Windows desktop, and if I try to get back into the game, the window is tiny and will not go fullscreen.
akram112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 akram112
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts
I have a similar problem. I am currently in the mission where we have to locate the Galaxy Radio station. I had exited Megatron and the game autosaved. As soon as autosave was over, the game crashed. Thinking this to be yet another crash, I started the game again. But when the game loads, I have a split second view of me standing outside Megatron gates before it crashes again. I have tried the ffdshow hints. They have not solved this problem. Can someone advise me as to what I should do?
DarwinBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarwinBC
Member since 2006 • 85 Posts

Game crashes for me are usually linked to savegames. Either autosave or quicksave. When the game tries either I get a CTD. But it has also frozen a few times at random. Such a shame. The game is so good and its ruined by this BIG issue.

Lord_Norr

This man is correct. Call Bethesda and they'll tell you to stop playing off your auto saves. Only time my game crash is if I Alt+tab or right after I go through a door and it auto saves.

ScottyDoo89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ScottyDoo89
Fallout 3 won't work at all for some reason! On the launcher screen when I click play, the game will attempt to load. It's a black screen with the hour glass cursor in the middle. Then the game crashes to my desktop and the error message says "An error has been encountered and the program needs to shut down." I have tried so many different solutions but non have worked. I have Windows XP and a radeon 9600 video card. Is anyone having the same problem or know how to fix? What the hell is going on! I haven't even got to see the introduction of the game. Please help!
dragonx1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dragonx1013
Ok, I have also had (and still have) the same problem. I love the game, however it is frustrating to play and work so hard when eventually it will freeze. Here is what I gahtered so far from my efforts: - The game worked for weeks on end when I performed a registry cleaner. Unfortunatly, the cleaner did mess up some icons windows uses so use registry cleaners at your own risk (regmechanic is a good one to use). However, after a month or so, it froze. Even after I did another registry fix, it still froze. - There seems to be freezing from some people sparatically and some in the same exact spot even after reinstalls. Some people claim they cant get out of the vault (it kept freezing on me once there, however, the regmechanic fixed that issue). - Make sure to do all the basics. Check your CD for scratches etc. Clean it properly. Video drivers, motherboard drivers, windows updates etc (although an update may actually be to blame...hard to say) - If it crashes, heres what you should do (considering windows still works). Go to start --> Control Pannel. -- Double click on administrative tools -- Double click on event viewer (press continue if UAC asks for permissions) -- If there is a folder on the LEFT that says "Windows logs" double click on it, if not, skip to the next step -- Click once on application. In the middle of the window you will see blue "i"'s that say information, yellow exclamation points or red exclamation points. -- Look for Red Exclamation points, these are errors that software has encountered. Not every one of them is useful. click once on them and a description will appear below. You are looking for FO3 or Fallout 3 in the descrption. -- Every Error code is accompanied by an event ID. Write that down. Any information pulled from this log will be useful. -- Google the event ID. Read SEVERAL pages (dont go with the first match you find) and get a collective solution (most suggested solution). It might also be usedful to check windows web site for solutions, with an event ID you can look it up easily. - The above is how I traced my registry for the first problem, but it began crashing with the same event ID and windows website was very fuzzy on the details of the error. This can help some people trace what is to blame for their problems. If you dont see any red ! you can try the system category to see if your system is actually to blame and not the game. Some other suggestions I have: -- Dont overclock your graphics card unless NECESSARY. Overheating can cause many freezing / glitching errors. usually they also cause the checkerboard effect. If you dont need to, then dont push your equipment. -- Check the system requirments. I have seen all to many people post "my system has 512 mb of memory" and laughed very hard. READ the boxes before purchasing the games...512 cant even run vista. -- Keep in mind MINIMUM system requirments means MINIMUM. You should have double that to run comfortably at a medium graphics setting if you ask me. -- Run the game with lower resolutions and graphics settings. Tweak them out. Also be sure the resolution is supported by your monitor (best to always use the same resolution as your desktop). -- Defragments cant hurt...But I know (I use a 1TB drive) it can take a while. -- WRITE DOWN when it freezes. Where you were in game, did you load off an autosave or a manual save? Were you at the same spot in the map? What song was playing (Just write the part of the lyrics it locked up at)? Are you using MODs? Are you launching with the CD, Shortcut, or launch icon? Noticing patterns can better help if your problem is not in the software -- Are you running a virus scanner / firewall? It might be useful to actually physically disconnect your network cable and turn off virus scanners and firewalls. This way, they can not be blocking you from anything and you remain safe (you can also leave the cable in, as windows live will crash like a jet out of fuel if you dont have an internet connection). -- If you can help it, dont run the windows live component. It is absolutely useless. The DLC is now coming out onto CD and the marketplace is clunky and glitchy. It only adds more to the equation of "Why did I crash?!" -- Check for bad memory in your computer. Sometimes the BIOS has a self check or you can use bootable programs like memtest+ or memcheck if you know how to use them (if you dont, ask a technician). Usually, memory errors dont show up in any logs, as the computer just locks up when it hits bad memory. -- Did you change any hardware? Did it play fine before you updated drivers? Remember, 1% of the time, updates can actually mess up a game or two. -- If the installer asks to install DirectX9.0c, just say yes. If you have a more current version, it will just tell you or it will install only the files it needs. Some games need to run the Direct X installer even if you have a more up to date version. -- There are some more complicated fixes that I found havent worked. However, still try them (audio codecs, BIOS flash, Graphics Card BIOS Flash). DONT do these if you dont know what your doing, you can turn your nice SLI quad core system into a very expensive and abnormally large paper weight. I hope all this helped someone. Seems like this is a deep problem and has no easy fix. Lots of code left unchecked. Still a great game! So C'mon bethesda! Stop releasing DLC and get on the ball fixing the game! If I can get it to work, I plan to just buy the collectors edition later in October, it will have all 5 DLC's and the game itself for 50 bucks! Ill post back if I see anything else useful.
dragonx1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dragonx1013
To update anyone following here, what a horrible mess! I went to finally install fallout 3 and patch it up to investigate the freezing further, and I found out the registry fix didnt mess up my icons, fallout 3 did. Directly after installing, the icons in my control panel were huge, not the way I set them. It might have also been the sad excuse for an update, version 1.7. I went to run it (after running the game and confirming that it started with no errors) and the patch came up with xlive not found. I know its not found, I dont want to use that sad excuse for a game platform, but the patch fails, and in turn the game will not run, whenever I try to run it, it comes up with the same error. So, the patch just broke the game, unless I have XLive running, but if I have that running then I wouldnt need to manually update would I? What a joke...game manufacturers need to get on the ball...either make the game 10 or 20 bucks and its allowed to be flawed, or release it at 50 bucks but be sure you didnt hire monkeys with sledge hammers to do your codeing!
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

For XP users you need SP3..

I have had it crash on me a few times...maybe 5 times out of 100+ hours of game time...( and they were driver errors)

I have had it freeze for a few seconds but that is due to the VATS issue..

Playing at 19x12, All ultra,4AA,16AF etc on a E6700, 4giig DDR2,8800GTX...

And I use GFWL all the the time...

azian32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 azian32
ok you all seem to be running quad cores so this is the problem and how to fix it -update drivers -update fallout3 to latest patch (v1.7) -after install, play game and if crash's do the following: -go to mydocuments/mygames/fallout3 -open file "fallout3.ini" Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0 change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1 Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2 This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze. the reason for this is because in the latest patchs it breaks quad core support. also try this if you have a triple core..... system i have: AMD phenom blackII x3 720 4gigs ram gigabyte mobo dw hdd radion 4850 haf 932 case 650w psu after i did what i told you worked fine. let me know if it help.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

The Game Works Fine For Me

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Might be the draw distance.. if you've put it any higher than that ofthe default settings it can often cause crashing, for me anyway. I just put it to high and it worked fine. I also have a Q6600 and a 9800GTX+. lower the settings oratleast the draw distance a bit and see it it helps.

mcalic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mcalic
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
when i play fallout 3 and load my current game i end up in vault 101 and i dont have my jumpsuit and i dont have any quest objectives when i do have objectives when i played and then im level 1
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
when i play fallout 3 and load my current game i end up in vault 101 and i dont have my jumpsuit and i dont have any quest objectives when i do have objectives when i played and then im level 1mcalic
Corrupted savegame.
biggun68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 biggun68

i too have that same problem but it is where i am in the town of megatown i can walk around fine every thing high running above 60fps but when i go outside it just blanks out at the same resolution with messed up colors causing me too restart i have tried every fix out there and no luck.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

wow, I have the same problem as mos of you, and this forum is really wierd, Just people saying their problems, bethesda needs to actually answer this. Why is their game so buggy? Why don't they release patches that ACTUALLY FIX IT?!

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Flavorysoup

I'M SORRY FOR BUMPING THIS THREAD BUT I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZvZrbn3NW8

DO IT!! IT WORKS!!!

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

DO IT!! IT WORKS!!!

Flavorysoup
Thanks will give it a try now. FO3 is one of my fav games but the random crashes really get to me. Hope this helps :)
Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Flavorysoup

[QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

DO IT!! IT WORKS!!!

Raxzor

Thanks will give it a try now. FO3 is one of my fav games but the random crashes really get to me. Hope this helps :)

I hope it works for you. And damn, 2x GTX 580s....I'm very jealous :)

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Raxzor

[QUOTE="Raxzor"][QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

DO IT!! IT WORKS!!!

Flavorysoup

I hope it works for you. And damn, 2x GTX 580s....I'm very jealous :)

Thanks :) I had to upgrade my old PC was museum quality. So I went all out and got a monster but I won't be upgrading again for years.
Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Flavorysoup

I was thinking about getting a GTX 580 or 590 when I get back home. I'm in the netherlands now and I only have my laptop with me. But when I get back, new graphics card for me. My laptop has an ATI Raedon 6770 2gb. by the way, did the fix work for your fallout 3?

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Raxzor

I was thinking about getting a GTX 580 or 590 when I get back home. I'm in the netherlands now and I only have my laptop with me. But when I get back, new graphics card for me. My laptop has an ATI Raedon 6770 2gb. by the way, did the fix work for your fallout 3?

Flavorysoup
It appears to be working have not had one crash and have been playing ti for 2 hours now.
Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Flavorysoup

[QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

Raxzor

It appears to be working have not had one crash and have been playing ti for 2 hours now.

awesome, I'm gonna play some too. Somehow I'm lucky in this game, I was a level 2, and went wandering into the city, found the brotherhood of steel. A guy des in front of me, so I took his stuff. I got power armor, a fat man, and 8 mininukes. Hells YEA