DVI to HDMI problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saberyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 saberyu
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
My TV only supports DVI. So, I bought a adapter for DVI to HDMI and a HDMI cable and linked the PS3 and my TV. The PS3 says to switch to HDMI setting but when i click yes everything goes blank. no sound no video. But i can reset it back to regular settings. So does anyone have a solution...:?
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm thinking your PS3 should reconize the settings. Is your TV HDCP compatable if not your PS3 might not work on it. I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor using DVI. There are different HDMI to DVI cables aslo you might have the wrong type.

My DVI cable looks like single link one on this page? http://dvihdmicables.com/dvi-d.htm

DARKCHOAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DARKCHOAS
Member since 2003 • 2100 Posts

My TV only has a DVI as well. Before the PS3 came out I bought a DVI-HDMI cable so I know they make it. Secondly because it's a DVI there will be no sound. I bought a optical audio connector. There's a port for it on the back of the PS3 and most likely on your TV too.

bullfrogj3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bullfrogj3
Member since 2003 • 896 Posts
This is the wrong board to ask this question. Try hardware/video. Also, I have no idea what's wrong, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's a copy protection conflict. Some DVI connections just aren't compatible. But like I said, try hardware/video for folks that might be able to help you. :)
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

My TV only has a DVI as well. Before the PS3 came out I bought a DVI-HDMI cable so I know they make it. Secondly because it's a DVI there will be no sound. I bought a optical audio connector. There's a port for it on the back of the PS3 and most likely on your TV too.

DARKCHOAS
you can use the cables that came with your ps3 for sound, just change it into the sound settings.
DARKCHOAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DARKCHOAS
Member since 2003 • 2100 Posts
[QUOTE="DARKCHOAS"]

gagit811

you can use the cables that came with your ps3 for sound, just change it into the sound settings.

TrueI agree with you but the optical cables sound better in my opinion

saberyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 saberyu

I'm thinking your PS3 should reconize the settings. Is your TV HDCP compatable if not your PS3 might not work on it. I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor using DVI. There are different HDMI to DVI cables aslo you might have the wrong type.

My DVI cable looks like single link one on this page? http://dvihdmicables.com/dvi-d.htm

jdc6305

Yeah mine is a DVI Dual link. How do you find wether my tv is HDCP compatable. And if i hook it up to my monitor will it be 1080i?

saberyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 saberyu
[QUOTE="DARKCHOAS"]

gagit811

If it was just sound i wouldnt have any problems but is the video part thats ticking me off. I have no visual.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts
[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

saberyu

Yeah mine is a DVI Dual link. How do you find wether my tv is HDCP compatable. And if i hook it up to my monitor will it be 1080i?

Do a search for your model TV on the internet. Type in key words such as HDCP. If your TV doesnt have it your PS3 will not work on it.
saberyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 saberyu

This is my TV took soo long to find it cause its a pretty old TV

http://www.epinions.com/specs/pr-Mitsubishi_WS-65313_65_in_Rear_Projection_HDTV_Television

I think its is HDCP compatible but i want a second opinion. Also if it is what is my next move because i still can get it to work.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

My TV only supports DVI. So, I bought a adapter for DVI to HDMI and a HDMI cable and linked the PS3 and my TV. The PS3 says to switch to HDMI setting but when i click yes everything goes blank. no sound no video. But i can reset it back to regular settings. So does anyone have a solution...:? saberyu

Check your display settings before switching to HDMI in the disply menu, make sure the 1080p box is not checked(unless you have a 1080p tv) i would see if 1080p is unchecked if so then try unchecking 1080i also so the only checked boxes are 480/720p some TV's that use dvi only go upto 720p.

I had a DVI hdtv in my gaming room and used a HDMI cable with dvi adapter like you but mine worked fine on 720p/1080i.

Also DVI does not support sound so you have to change the sound settings to composite/scart and use the original cable's red/white wires to get sound, i could either plug it into a PC sound port on the tv using an adapter(the end was basically the same as what goes into an i-pod speakers socket) but i always plugged it directly into my surround sound system.

It used to work fine for me but in the end i bought a new tv as i just wanted a better HDTV but the fact i also had to change multiple cables when ever switching from 360/ps3/pc and the TV, it was a pain.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts

This is my TV took soo long to find it cause its a pretty old TV

http://www.epinions.com/specs/pr-Mitsubishi_WS-65313_65_in_Rear_Projection_HDTV_Television

I think its is HDCP compatible but i want a second opinion. Also if it is what is my next move because i still can get it to work.

saberyu

The Tv does not support 720p so you need to make sure the only boxes checked in the display settings menu on the PS3 is for 480p and 1080i.

Thats a bummer as quite a few games will not upscale to 1080i and so the PS3 automatically switches to 480p, i think that Sony maybe pacthed the upscaling problem but im not sure.

The problem could be that your HD-TV is an older model and is not HDCP compatible and thus it will probably never allow HD signals through a digital cable.

I think standard component cables will still allow you to get an HD signal, that will be your best bet and in my expierence the difference between component and HDMI is minor although it has better advantages with sound but picture quality has a minor decrease when using component over hdmi, some will say other wise and but in my expierence when i had a 360 pro i used VGA for my hd gaming and when i switched to a PS3 and a 360 elite the games basically look the same(and yes i have a top end HDTV that does 1080p, just incase anyone says your tv is crap thats why you see no difference).