Horseback riding in the Olympics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts

This is the first time I've ever watched the Olympic games. Right now they are showing horseback riding/jumping. This is the first I've heard of this event in the Olympic games, but it may not be new.

I just don't see how this qualifies as an Olympic event though. All of the other events in the Olympics are based on highly trained, finely tuned athletes competing against one another. They win based on their own skill and merit, not based on the skill and merit of another, especially an animal.

In this competition, it's the horse doing all the work. Sure, the jockey is instructing the horse, but coaches also instruct their athletes, like gymnasts and divers. You don't see the coach getting the medal in the end though, do you? I feel like horseback competition in the Olympics is really stretching it and doesn't follow the same pattern as the rest of the events. Thoughts?

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Equestrian riding has been a part of the Olympics for many years and it takes a lot of skill and merit to get a massive horse to do the moves it does. Their not just sitting on it taking a ride.

If you don't like the event then fine, but don't rag on just cause you don't see the skill involved in it.

Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts
There may be skill involved, it's just not the same skill that is used in the rest of the Olympic events. It has nothing to do with athletic ability of the rider.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
the horse and the rider are a couple, if the rider wins they both win
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
Its the one event I don't really care about in the summer Olympics, but it has been an event since the 1900 Olympics in Paris. It is not new to the Olympics.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

There may be skill involved, it's just not the same skill that is used in the rest of the Olympic events. It has nothing to do with athletic ability of the rider._Classic_Gamer_

Well if it is indeed a skill then what's the big deal? There is a skill involved in swimming, which is different than the skill involved in sprinting, speed walking, basketball, baseball, wrestling, pole vault, gynmastics and so on and so forth.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Man... I should tell my equestrian friend about this... She'd be laughing... She's had a 2 ton horse throw her off several times.
Katafran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Katafran
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

There may be skill involved, it's just not the same skill that is used in the rest of the Olympic events. It has nothing to do with athletic ability of the rider._Classic_Gamer_

You have clearly never ridden a horse. No, it's not as athletically intensive as gymnastics, but it takes major muscle control to stay on a horse, not to mention looking good as you do it. Believe it or not, riding a horse is not just sitting on it's back.

Katafran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Katafran
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

Man... I should tell my equestrian friend about this... She'd be laughing... She's had a 2 ton horse throw her off several times. MattUD1

Falling off a horse hurts more than anything I've ever experience in my life thus far. Imagine falling off of a five foot ladder while it's moving. Last time I fell, I had time to try to twist so I'd land on my butt(made it to my hip and limped for two days, but that's much better than my face). The worst thing is knowing the thud is coming.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts

[QUOTE="MattUD1"]Man... I should tell my equestrian friend about this... She'd be laughing... She's had a 2 ton horse throw her off several times. Katafran

Falling off a horse hurts more than anything I've ever experience in my life thus far. Imagine falling off of a five foot ladder while it's moving. Last time I fell, I had time to try to twist so I'd land on my butt(made it to my hip and limped for two days, but that's much better than my face). The worst thing is knowing the thud is coming.

I think she also got kicked in the chest once. Not too sure about that one. It's been a while since I heard the story.
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
OP how about you actually try the sport before you bash it. I always prefered to ride western and never really cared for the dressage or jumping. But you have to be in good physical condition and have alot of balance to even ride like they do. Not to mention all the training and practice with the horse to do all the dressage moves.