installing PS3 games to hard drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrW-2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DrW-2k4
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts

hey people

um not sure if this is any where else but i coldnt find a topic so sorry if there is.

i heard you could install certain games to your hard drive and all i want to know is how do you do it :S

CK_the_gr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CK_the_gr8
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts
What games do you mean? I know for instance that you can install the PSN downloaded games on your HDD, but I didn't try adding PS1 or PS2 games to my HDD yet, if that's what you mean. Specify?
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
You can download games from PSN and have it on your internal HDD, you can't copy them to any external storage device. You can re-download the games you have bought off of PSN about 5 times before they can't be downloaded anymore. You can't load any games from any disc media to the HDD. All this is to protect against piracy from anyone at anytime.
Silspar24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Silspar24
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I know this is off topic, but i am having touble finding this else where. I have a PS3 and hook it up using an HDMI cable. I have since had to down grade to less of an HD tv and have to use HD component cables to hook up my system. I plugged everything in and can not get a signal to go back through to my component cables output port. the HD port is still the active one. I set it up on another TV with HDMI and it works no problem. Any suggestions?
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jimm895

I know this is off topic, but i am having touble finding this else where. I have a PS3 and hook it up using an HDMI cable. I have since had to down grade to less of an HD tv and have to use HD component cables to hook up my system. I plugged everything in and can not get a signal to go back through to my component cables output port. the HD port is still the active one. I set it up on another TV with HDMI and it works no problem. Any suggestions?Silspar24

That's a very easy fix, all you need to do is connect the cables you want to use and have the TV on. And from standby on your PS3 use the power button on the console to turn it on but just hold the power button until the second beep and then release it at that time. This will allow the PS3 to auto-detect the correct connection on it's own. This will work anytime you change the cable type of connection. The only thing you need to do when using the AV connection (composite or component) is go into the settings and when using component cables is select the component cable manually.

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
I think maybe what your refering to is some games have an option to install content to the HD for faster load times. You still have to have the disk and its not a complete install.
DrW-2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrW-2k4
Member since 2004 • 127 Posts
ah i see, some of my frnds said you can install some PS3 games onto your hardrive and it makes it go quicker :S
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jimm895

ah i see, some of my frnds said you can install some PS3 games onto your hardrive and it makes it go quicker :SDrW-2k4

All you can install a small file that helps start a game faster (this is from developers that really don't understand how to develope games on the Blu-Ray disc). The developers that use the Blu-Ray and hardware in the PS3 really don't need these installs. The thing is you will still need the disc in the drive to play the games.

supmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 supmt
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts

[QUOTE="DrW-2k4"]ah i see, some of my frnds said you can install some PS3 games onto your hardrive and it makes it go quicker :Sjimm895
All you can install a small file that helps start a game faster (this is from developers that really don't understand how to develope games on the Blu-Ray disc). The developers that use the Blu-Ray and hardware in the PS3 really don't need these installs. The thing is you will still need the disc in the drive to play the games.

It's possible to download/install PSN PS3 games onto the HDD.

So I would find it strange if it wasn't possible to download/install a PS3 game onto the HDD via a BD.

Avatar image for deactivated-606ce3246c74b
deactivated-606ce3246c74b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-606ce3246c74b
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It's not possible. So far X-box 360 has a rather big advantage over PS3 since it allows installing games to your HDD with an update. This feature is essential to a videogame because you can load games from HDD , thus not putting a strain on your optical drive as it reads disks. Moreover, there will be less risk of overheating. Without this feature, any consoles you use regularly, will die quickly.
Zeppfan1322

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zeppfan1322
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
In my experience, you still need the disc on box 360 even after you have installed the game.