ps3 won't play blu-ray movies, but plays Warhawk, dvds, and ps2 games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bladescorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bladescorpion
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

I bought a PS3 in may of last year, and I only played PS2 games and Warhawk until this week. I tried 3 movies and each of them appear to load, then my samsung 1080p tv goes to searching for signal then to no signal. My PS3 is set for 1080p and I can play ps2, wh, and regular dvd movies. I am running the PS3 on HDMI. At the advice of Sony, I performed the long formating of the hdd, but still no issue. Even though I have the Best Buy replacement plan, the sony rep said for the first year Best Buy makes you RMA the ps3, but they replace it after the first year. I do not think my tv is the issue as my halo 360 works ok with hdmi and only BR movies are causing problems with the PS3. I have the 60 gig, and I am not a big fan of the software emulation on the 80, so I thought I would check here before I rmaed. The only thing I can think of is trying the ps3 on my dad's 1080i tv when I go home this weekend.

Any one know of any settings which I might want to adjust befire rmaing or ran into this issue?

Thanks,

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Are you sure you don't have an incorrect regioned ps3?

Not all bluray movies are all region, so, if you have a japanese ps3 (ntsc-j) and are trying it in Canada say (ntsc-u/c), and it's a region locked one, it won't work.

Xionethic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Xionethic
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts
if you've got a ps3 in the same region as your blu ray, it should be ok...
campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

I know you play Warhawk so you probably online but have you got the latest system update? I know the PS3 blu-ray player needs updating ever so often to play the up to date blu-ray disks.

Bladescorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bladescorpion

I bought it at Best Buy in Tennessee so it should be be in the US/North America region. Of those Blu-ray movies, 1 are bought in the same store as the PS3 and the spiderman movies came from walmart. The movies play in a sony blu-ray player. I doubt it is a region issue because I played some dvds which are US region and they worked. If the PS3 was nonUS, then none of those would play.

I was at firmware 2.2 before I formatted, afterwards I want from base to 2.3 and still have same issue. The hdmi works until I play a Blu-ray movies. There is no issue with Warhawk or anything on the 360, so the HDMI works. I find it wierd that Blu-ray movies do not play, which makes me suspect the ps3.

gamer_guy_714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamer_guy_714
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts
I had the same prob with my tv, (it is capable of 1080p) so i went into display settings and unchecked 1080p and it worked after that, good luck.
nellyg619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 nellyg619
Member since 2004 • 6832 Posts

I had the same prob with my tv, (it is capable of 1080p) so i went into display settings and unchecked 1080p and it worked after that, good luck.gamer_guy_714

yeh same hppens 2 me...some movies dont work on 1080p or even 1080i so try uncheckin the option and then see if the movie works.....i wudn't be suprised if u lowered the display settings 2 1080i and then the blu-ray will work

Bladescorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bladescorpion

thanks nelly and gamer_guy!!!

I changed it BD 1080p 24Hz Output (hdmi) to off and it works!

gamer_guy_714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamer_guy_714
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts
welcome ;)