super nintendo and HDTV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghostlybandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ghostlybandit
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
I hooked my super nintendo up to my HDTV and the picture looks really bad, malmost unplayable. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there anything I can do to make it work?
Dantes_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Dantes_Monkey
Member since 2005 • 6554 Posts

lol snes was never meant to be played on big tvs.

virtual console? or perhaps you could find a way of hooking it up to a pc monitor

ghostlybandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghostlybandit
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
So ther's no way I can make it work?? Has anyone else tried an old console on a new TV?? Did the picture look OK for you??
Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts
SNES isn't even SD, it is going to look like junk on an HDTV.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Since the SNES shares the same A/V multi-out port as the GameCube and N64, get yourself a Gamecube-made S-Video cable, since that would be the best video output it can provide. Sadly, everything from the Dreamcast and before were made before widescreen was even a blip on the proverbial TV radar. So you will see some bad stretching if you have the TV try and "fill" the screen with the signal. You'll have to set it to 1:1 or some similar. Other than that, the only other thing that I can think of is that maybe the video processor in your HDTV just doesn't cope well with non-HD signals; at which case your only solution if you've done everything else is to get a different HDTV.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Since the SNES shares the same A/V multi-out port as the GameCube and N64, get yourself a Gamecube-made S-Video cable, since that would be the best video output it can provide. Sadly, everything from the Dreamcast and before were made before widescreen was even a blip on the proverbial TV radar. So you will see some bad stretching if you have the TV try and "fill" the screen with the signal. You'll have to set it to 1:1 or some similar. Other than that, the only other thing that I can think of is that maybe the video processor in your HDTV just doesn't cope well with non-HD signals; at which case your only solution if you've done everything else is to get a different HDTV.
clsnbrdr616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clsnbrdr616
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts
How big is your TV... I tried Super Mario RPG with my SNES on my 32" (768p) TV and while it didn't look "great" I didn't think it looked all that bad (thought normal SD cable TV looked worse).
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
I just hooked up my old snes to my 50' Panasonic Viera. It looks great! Not distorted at all :D
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Don't bump old threads :\
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points