This topic is locked from further discussion.

hellvis13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hellvis13
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Is there any way to connect my ps3 to my projectors vga connection for hd display?
clsnbrdr616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 clsnbrdr616
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts
You could buy a component to vga converter (I don't know much info on these though) or you could buy an HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI adapter, and then get a DVI to VGA adapter. However, I'm not sure if that would work with the whole HDCP with HDMI and DVI and buying all that stuff would probably be more expensive then the converter.
ambesound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ambesound
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts
You will need somthing like this and some component cables.
jamesmck486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jamesmck486
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts
Unfortunately not. To even get VGA, most likely you'd need to buy an expensive box to convert the signal, and most often when you look closely, those won't even output VGA in HD. I've looked into this quite a few times, it seems that us VGA users are just out of luck.
ambesound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ambesound

You could buy a component to vga convertor (I don't know much info on these though) or you could buy an HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI adapter, and then get a DVI to VGA adapter. However, I'm not sure if that would work with the whold HDCP with HDMI and DVI and buying all that stuff would probably be more expensive then the convertorclsnbrdr616

Converting HDMI to DVI will work providing the device you plug the DVI into supports HDCP. You cannot convert from HDMI > DVI > VGA using cables and connectors as you have suggested, as HDMI is digital and VGA is analog. You'd need another box to convert from the digital signal to VGA, but I beleive this only works for non-HDCP signals.

ambesound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ambesound
Unfortunately not. To even get VGA, most likely you'd need to buy an expensive box to convert the signal, and most often when you look closely, those won't even output VGA in HD. I've looked into this quite a few times, it seems that us VGA users are just out of luck.jamesmck486
Please refer to my previous post. A VGA transcoder box for ~$43 which does 1080p
jamesmck486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jamesmck486
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts
I stand corrected, I had not seen that in my previous attempts to solve this problem.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
You could buy a component to vga converter (I don't know much info on these though) or you could buy an HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI adapter, and then get a DVI to VGA adapter. However, I'm not sure if that would work with the whole HDCP with HDMI and DVI and buying all that stuff would probably be more expensive then the converter.clsnbrdr616
The only option is the component to VGA it will look horrible so don't even bother. There is no official VGA cable from Sony and the converters look bad. There is no such thing as an HDMI to VGA since it will not work so what you said makes no sense.
clsnbrdr616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clsnbrdr616
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts
I was only saying the adapters are out there... There is no HDMI to VGA adapter, but there are HDMI to DVI adapters and there are DVI to VGA adapters. I didn't know if putting them together would work (especially with HDCP)... sorry for any confusion. :P

ChiefMahwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiefMahwoo
Member since 2007 • 355 Posts
using hdmi to dvi to vga was one of my ideas to use ps3 on my monitor but u wont get sound out of this way.
the only way to get sound will have to be the vga box    i think  
CrowOTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrowOTH
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts
anyway to get sound that way though?
ChiefMahwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiefMahwoo
Member since 2007 • 355 Posts
if i was to use the hdmi to dvi to vga cable to my monitor i wont get sound.  also my monitor is 2 year old and its just vga so i dont think it supports hdcp ( copyright protection thing)
SalluKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 SalluKhan
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

That wouldn't have worked. So there is no point of Audio. Coz, HDMI and DVI both are digital and VGA is Analog, the signals can't be transferred unless they are converted through some kind of converters which will cost u bunch of money ! If we take Audio, then it can be gained through SONY's standard AV Multi output to any suitable amplifier..

Avatar image for deactivated-60b89387b81e6
deactivated-60b89387b81e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60b89387b81e6
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i think that you can get video whit hdmi>dvi>vga and sound over the av cable.use the white and yellow one and buy a convertor fromwhite and yellow to a 3.5mmjack and hock it up to your speakers.

ThyEzekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThyEzekiel
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
what about this? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VGA-SVGA-3-RCA-S-Video-AV-TV-Cable-Adapter-Converter-/320561678628?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Wires_Cables&hash=item4aa2f70924 couldnt you just plug the ps3 av plug into this then plug into the vga plug in the monitor?