caseywokos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#55 caseywokos
Member since 2006 • 431 Posts

Only those who have been in war truly understand it, others just understand it more or less...Icarus405

That's kind of like what that guy in that new movie Flags of our Fathers said at the beginning.  Speaking of which, has anyone seen that movie.

m1rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 m1rock
Member since 2006 • 324 Posts
No, but Id really like to see it.  What im really looking forward to though is Letters from Iwo Jima 
lewuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 lewuz
Member since 2004 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="Icarus405"]Only those who have been in war truly understand it, others just understand it more or less...caseywokos

That's kind of like what that guy in that new movie Flags of our Fathers said at the beginning. Speaking of which, has anyone seen that movie.

this idea in different words have been in many movies. i'd like to see also Clint Eastwoods Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.
lewuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lewuz
There are also saying something like that: Only those has seen end of war who has died. Unfortunatly i can't remember now who said it.... but it' s so true.
lewuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lewuz
I found it! It is actually: "Only the dead have seen the end of war" It's quote from one of George Santayana's works. Sometimes it is said that it was Plato's quote but there are no proof of it. General Douglas MacArthur also probably had wrong information.
crapten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#61 crapten
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts
[QUOTE="lewuz"]I found it! It is actually: "Only the dead have seen the end of war" It's quote from one of George Santayana's works. Sometimes it is said that it was Plato's quote but there are no proof of it. General Douglas MacArthur also probably had wrong information.

General McArthur was a tool.
caseywokos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 caseywokos
Seems that the M1 Garand is the most popular weapon on this topic :DIcarus405
It was good, but it was too heavy, and that's why I would choose the Carbine over it.
commando8535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 commando8535
Member since 2003 • 627 Posts
m1rock, CHIMO!; I'm your "brother" to the north. I'm with 32 CER.

As for favourite US weapon.

I'd bet my life on a Thompson, M1911A1 or the M3A1 Grease Gun.
commando8535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 commando8535
Were Thompsons with barrel magazines used in Europe aswell?Icarus405

barrel magazines? you mean the 50 round drums? they wered used by the British Military early in the war but were weren't used in the ETO as far as I know.
caseywokos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 caseywokos

As for favourite US weapon.

I'd bet my life on a Thompson, M1911A1 or the M3A1 Grease Gun.
commando8535

I didn't like the Grease gun.

m1rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 m1rock

commando8535

Ah excellent, commando!  Canada, that land of hot women, strong beer, and expensive cigarettes.  lol   Yeah I served in the Minnesota's US 34th Infantry Division.  We trained under canadian officers before deployments in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan.
commando8535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 commando8535
[QUOTE="commando8535"]m1rock, CHIMO!; I'm your "brother" to the north. I'm with 32 CER.

m1rock

Ah excellent, commando! Canada, that land of hot women, strong beer, and expensive cigarettes. lol Yeah I served in the Minnesota's US 34th Infantry Division. We trained under canadian officers before deployments in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan.

Let me guess 11B?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know much about the beer lol; Don't drink, Hopefully next year I get the chance to go down to Knox or Ft. Drum to train with you boys while were down there. 

Hopefully a slot opens up so I can go over to Afghanistan within the next two years.
m1rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 m1rock
Well I was an 11M due to the fact I was a crewman on a Bradley Fighting Vechical. But a few years ago they changed all 11C 11M and 11H to 11B being we where all basicly infantry and we now all muti-task. (on my tours I was in a hmmvvv crew, bradley crew, and also did air assault operations).

I got some of my pics online here. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/m1rock/album/576460762374980753

I got more on my laptop but its been down for awhile, so hopefully I can get them back
caseywokos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 caseywokos
I like the Thompson but it's weight and small clip would have gotten in my way.  I'm not a very strong person, so if I were to choose a sub machine gun I would choose the MP40 over the Thompson.
commando8535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 commando8535
Well I was an 11M due to the fact I was a crewman on a Bradley Fighting Vechical. But a few years ago they changed all 11C 11M and 11H to 11B being we where all basicly infantry and we now all muti-task. (on my tours I was in a hmmvvv crew, bradley crew, and also did air assault operations).
m1rock

Wish you said something other than Infantry lol, I'm not sure how bad it is down there but up here it's Inner service rivalry lol. Basically every trade thinks there the best. It got so bad in basic that all the guys from one regiment sat and ate together talking to no one but themselves lol.

Question is they switched your MOS?, From crewman to Mech?

Same up here all Infantry guys are trained in a multitude of tasks, guess that's the new "army" for all of us.

It's interesting to know a guy whose served in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan.

To tell you the truth I'm actually thinking of remustering as an MP or Armoured Recce (Cav Scout) Something about driving a 16 ton beast and doing a recon through enemy lines seems appealing, although alot of engineers are trying to "convert" me back.

I got a weekend training thing going on tommorow, so I probably won't be on for Friday, Saturday until I get back home Sunday evening.

m1rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 m1rock

Wish you said something other than Infantry lol, I'm not sure how bad it is down there but up here it's Inner service rivalry lol. Basically every trade thinks there the best. It got so bad in basic that all the guys from one regiment sat and ate together talking to no one but themselves lol.

Question is they switched your MOS?, From crewman to Mech?

Same up here all Infantry guys are trained in a multitude of tasks, guess that's the new "army" for all of us.

It's interesting to know a guy whose served in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan.

To tell you the truth I'm actually thinking of remustering as an MP or Armoured Recce (Cav Scout) Something about driving a 16 ton beast and doing a recon through enemy lines seems appealing, although alot of engineers are trying to "convert" me back.

I got a weekend training thing going on tommorow, so I probably won't be on for Friday, Saturday until I get back home Sunday evening.

Well a mechenized crewman is infantry, only difference is that we arrive to the battlfeild in the Bradley APC rather then on foor so there was not much of a switch.   I dont know of much inner service riverly in the US army becuase every one knows the Infantry are the hot shots becuase they see the most action.  I know there is riverly between the army infanty and the marine corp infantry though. lol   Yeah thats one thing I dont miss.  training all weekend and getting no sleep lol   I was partying in Canda a few years back and came across a female in the infantry.  I thought that was interesting being we dont allow women to serve in the US Army Infantry.
commando8535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 commando8535
m1rock

Well a mechenized crewman is infantry, only difference is that we arrive to the battlfeild in the Bradley APC rather then on foor so there was not much of a switch. I dont know of much inner service riverly in the US army becuase every one knows the Infantry are the hot shots becuase they see the most action. I know there is riverly between the army infanty and the marine corp infantry though. lol Yeah thats one thing I dont miss. training all weekend and getting no sleep lol I was partying in Canda a few years back and came across a female in the infantry. I thought that was interesting being we dont allow women to serve in the US Army Infantry.

That's cool, a two for one deal. Up here a Mech Crewman is a Mech Crewman although if they want to switch to Infantry it really isn't that hard.

Waking up at 5 A.M. to do PT isn't my idea of a relaxing weekend lol. Right now I'm Sleep f*****

Up here the army is an "equal" employer, so women in the Infantry Regiments would have to go through the same training as there male counter-parts however the only different is, women in the Infantry Role are most likely to be the Regimental Clerk, Finance Chief, Weaps Tech, Vehicle Tech etc. basically support line roles.

In the Reserves it's the same thing, except that within the Engineers women would work side by side with there male counter-parts, letting them into combat is another thing; There's actually a Sergeant in my Regiment, she just came back from a tour in Afghanistan.

sonic272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 sonic272
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Garrand! Rulz
01chodgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 01chodgs
Member since 2004 • 261 Posts
I know a Para who just came back from Afghanistan, he says it was hard fighting. They didn't go a day without contact, he told me that one time they had to go 4 days without food because the Americans dropped their supplies to the afghans. He is on standby to go to Iraq now they were supposed to be going to Canada to do mountain training but it's been cancelled.
m1rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 m1rock
4 days becuase of a misdrop?   damn they must have been way the hell up in the moutians.  But It dosnt make sense why the hell they didnt just radio in another drop if it was that bad.  That was pretty stupid on thier mommanders part if that is true.
Mossaike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 Mossaike
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts
My most favorite is definitely the Thompson, then M1 Garand and lastly M1 Carbine.