Darth_Mol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Darth_Mol
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts
I really haven't got a clue..... What do you guys think is the best sniper-rilfe of WWII??
Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Iffy350
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
The springfield??? I think the Japanese modified their basic Inf. rifle into a sniper rifle but I don't know the name of the gun?
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts
Dunno.  Most sniper rifles were just upgraded models of basic infantry.
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 WWIIWarrior
Member since 2004 • 8622 Posts

It all depends. Most sniper rifles were hand picked infantry rifles that had exceptional accuracy. Some were chosen on the quality of there barrels like the Mosin Nagant 1891/30 rifle. I've shot every single sniper rifle the major powers of WWII and some of the smaller ones. In this order are my favorite.

1) Mosin Nagant 1891/30 with 3.5x zoom PO scope

2) Springfield M1903 with M73B1 2.2x Scope

3) Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 (T) with 3.5x zoom No.32 scope.

viscount19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 viscount19
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
personally i think the mosin nagant was the best.
viscount19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 viscount19
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
personally i think the mosin nagant was the best.
Darth_Mol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Darth_Mol
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

The mosin nagant rocks... At least in Sniper Elite... really cool game :)

Didn't the Russians used the most snipers in WWII, at least I always thought so.. at Stalingrad, they had hundreds

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WWIIWarrior
Both the Germans and the Russians fielded great amounts of Snipers and both were equally skilled. I have a WWII German Sniper training video and it's really cool.
Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Iffy350
What was the name of that Japanese sniper rifle!
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WWIIWarrior
Saving Pvt Ryan and honesty to WWII. That movie is horribly incorrect in many ways. Please don't make me list them.
Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Iffy350
Thats what movies are good for, inaccuracy! At least they make movies about this kinda stuff or their would be no good movies! No Star Wars either!
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WWIIWarrior

Thats what movies are good for, inaccuracy! At least they make movies about this kinda stuff or their would be no good movies! No Star Wars either! Iffy350

There were so many little things wrong that you could find out in a book in the library. Star Wars would suck if it was realistic but that's Sci-Fi. SVP is Historical fiction.

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WWIIWarrior
Atleast they got that part right.
ScorpioXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ScorpioXIII
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I love the Russian Mosin-Nagant, I think it is better than the M1 Garand; the German K-43 isn't too bad either.
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WWIIWarrior

In a sense. It was known as the Mauser Gewehr 98. It was longer and heavier and a few external changes but really the same weapon.

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WWIIWarrior

I agree. It's a shame the US replaced if with the M9(Beretta 92F,FS).

"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." —Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WWIIWarrior

A lot of the weapons used during WW-2 made it all the way past the Vietnam war. The Thompson, the M1 Carbine, and the vietnamese also used a lot of the russsians weapons, since the russians were supporting them, the PPSh, the PPSh 42, the Mosin Nagant, the SVT, and alot of the pistols... Icarus405

I agree with you. While the M1 really didn't make it all the way to Vietnam. The M2 did, with the 30 round magazine. All these weapons only made it to the early stages of Vietnam after that they were pretty much gone.

fbiluch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fbiluch
Member since 2005 • 2577 Posts
^ The BAR and M3A1 Grease Gun were used too. The BAR more in the beginning stages of the war and ws issued to the South Vietamese and the M3A1 was used by special forces like MACV/SOG and LRRPs.
fbiluch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fbiluch
Member since 2005 • 2577 Posts
The simplest versions of the M1 made were the M1 Carbine and the M-14 you mentioned. The M-14 was based off the M1 design with a box magazine instead of the stripper clip.
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WWIIWarrior

Yeah, i forgot about the "Grease Gun", but my favourite Vietnam era rifle (if i understood correctly) is the M14, very nice gun. Im not sure of this, but i think that even now the M14 is a good choice for a sniper rifle, but these days special forces have started to use arrows for maximum silence. But was there a sniper version of the M1 Garand ever made? Icarus405

The M14 is a very good rifle. It did have the accuracy and range of an "old time" military rifle, but was too long, heavy and lacked the selective firepower in a real assault rifle that is needed in modern combat. It outdated design at the moment of its adoption. Yes the M1 had a sniper version. Two to be exact. They both featured different scope mounts offset to the left from the axis of the rifle so it's possible to load clips (Like featured in the SMLE No. 4 (T) in COD2) and use the "iron" sights even when you have a scope. They were called the M1C and M1D. At first they were called the M1E7(Later M1C) and M1E8(M1D). 2.5x power M81/M82, and 2.2x power M84 were all used M73B1 2.5x Telescopic site (Weaver 330C) was an alternate.

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WWIIWarrior
Only just about?:D What I miss. I want to completely answer it.
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WWIIWarrior
I know I was joking:D
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WWIIWarrior

One complaint in that game really. M1 lacks recoil while Carbine has to much.

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WWIIWarrior
Too much "jump"? Are you kidding. It kicks likes it a .22 not a .30-06.
WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WWIIWarrior
All the other semi automatic rifles have the appropriate recoil why not this one?
Avatar image for Suddenstriker52
Suddenstriker52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Suddenstriker52
Member since 2005 • 996 Posts
I dont know but the M1 Carbine had full auto. BTW sometimes the GIs inWWII use to fight about the M1 being a carbine or a overgrown submachine gun.
Lubu7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Lubu7
Member since 2005 • 2242 Posts

that would be your recoil,

n the German develope the best semi automatic rifle.  I think its tag number is the K43, but if anyone played DoD, its the one carried by the Stroussetroupe.  The rifle had the making of the M1 and various types of the Russian semis, but it had better accuracy and stopping power for the amount of recoil it produced.  Unfortunately it was introduced too late to change anything.

and here is one with a scope attachment on it

WWIIWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WWIIWarrior

Lets start answering questions. Suddenstriker the M1 Carbine itself did not have full automatic capability. A variant of it the M2 had selective fire and used with a 30-round magazine. Icarus what you speak of is recoil. Lubu the Germans did not develop the best semi automatic rifle. The design of the G-43 was widely copied of the Soviet SVT-40. I'll just give the whole excerpt about it from my German Infantry Weapons of WWII.

Gewehr 43

The German Wehrmacht was not interested in any way about a self loading rifle. There tactical doctrine which would focus on a MG.34 UMG later the 42 as the primary source of firepower while being supported by two riflemen with Kar.98K’s. When in 1941 two companies submitted the self-loading rifles for consideration to the German Wehrmacht - Walther and Mauser. These rifles were designates as Gewehr 41(W) and Gewehr 41(M). They were similar and both used the Bang system named after the Norwegian designer Soren H. Bang due to a limitation being placed by the Wehrmacht on the design that no holes should be drilled into the barrel. In this system, gases from the bullet were trapped near the muzzle in a ring-shaped cone, which in turn pulled on a long piston that opened the breech and re-loaded the gun. This is as opposed to a different type of gas-actuated system in which the gasses push back on a piston to open the breach to the rear like shown in the M1 Garand or SVT-38/40. Both failed horribly with the Mauser being the worse of the two versions. Only 6,673 were mass-produced before production was stopped and of those, 1,673 were returned as non-usable. The Walther version was a little better but not much. The Bang system is a very complicated one and often broke down and was very difficult to maintain. It often broke under stress and the wear and tear of combat. It was also very heavy most noticeably in the front due to the fact that all the complex and heavy machinery was located near the front which pulled the nose of the rifle down and made it very hard to fire. Since it was the only semi-auto rifle available it had to be mass produced even though it was a bad weapon and was difficult to mass produce. Exact numbers are hard to estimate, but records show maybe give or take 14,334. After Operation Barbarossa the German’s captured many of the new SVT-38/40’s. They used the much simpler gas-actuated system which I explained earlier which Walther sooned copied into there G-41 and out came the G-43. The simpler mechanism of the G-43 made it lighter, easier to mass produce, and far more reliable than the G-41 and adding a 10-round detachable box magazine solved the slow reloading problem that was present in the G-41. Mass production started in October on 1943 and in 1944 is was redesignated the K-43(Karabiner 43) with the only external difference is being 50mm shorter. Total production by the end of the war was 402,713 of both models, including at least 53,435 sniper rifles: the G-43 was the preferred sniper weapon, fitted with the Zielfernrohr 43 (ZF 4) scope with 4x magnification. The weapon could use the Gewehrgranatgerät (Schiessbecher) for firing rifle grenades and could use a Schalldämpfer silencer; however the G-43 could not use a bayonet. The G-43 is a gas-operated semi-auto rifle.

The short stroke gas piston is located above the barrel. The bolt is locked by two flaps, which extend into the locking recesses in the receiver walls. When unlocking, these flaps are retracted into the bolt body. The receiver and bolt groups are machined from steel castings, with many surfaces being mechanically unfinished near the end of the war.

Specs for K43. Cannot find them for G43. If you can please PM me.

Caliber: 7.92 x 57mm

Weight: 4.1kg (9.7lbs) Unloaded and W/O scope

Length: 1130mm

Barrel Length: 546mm

Magazine Capacity: 10 rounds detachable box magazine

Muzzle Velocity: 775 m/s (2,328 FPS)