PresarioRoyale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 PresarioRoyale
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts

Okay. I know this is old news, but is has always bothered me and I would like to know what any of you think. Do you remember the Big 12 Championship match last year between Nebraska and Texas? And at the end of the game there was the pass that hit the ground out-of-bounds with one second left on the clock. That second ticked away after the ball hit the ground. The officials then reviewed that and they put back one second on the clock. This allowed Texas to kick their game winning field goal to defeat Nebraska.

Now... I have no personal attachment to either team. It is not the outcome of the game that has bothered me. But, why do they save that one second? I know it was at the end of the game. But, even throughout the whole game there is usually a second (or possibly two) that ticks off the clock from the time the ball hits the ground to when the game clock actually stops. If they will change that one second at the end of the game to give the team one last chance... why not find a better way to save those seconds lost through the whole game? You'd get at least a good minute or two added on to the end of the game. In the world of football, one or two minutes could mean the difference of the game.

At the end of that Texas/Nebraska matchup I was leaning more towards: the quarterback lost track of time (it happens), the clock hit zero, despite there being one second on the clock when the ball hit the ground (I'm not arguing that. There clearly was one second left on the clock. No one can deny that) I didn't think they should have added that second back. Like I said earlier. There are a lot of seconds that tick off at the very end of plays that don't get added back throughout the course of a game.

Anyways, that's what I think. Any other opinions?

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts

That last second was critical to the game which I believe why it was reviewed and added back on.  It would simply just take too much time during a game to add that second back on when you don't know if it will come down to the end.  Basically I don't think they want the game to be decided by the clock or the referees, but by the players on the field (granted you could argue that it was the players fault for not knowing how much time there is on the clock).

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts
It was the right call to make. Personally I think there shouldnt be a clock. Just play till someone dies.
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sith_acolyte15
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
It was the right call. They said to put a second back on the clock anyway, just reviewed to make sure there was. If anything, Nebraska should've been glad they were going to review it (even though, I guess, they weren't supposed to). Gave them a chance for that second to get taken back off.