Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts

Link

Wins will be forfieted, reduced scholarships and 4 years probation.

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts
Don't they suspend bowl games too?
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sith_acolyte15
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
So much for any upswing FSU had been making the last few seasons.
spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 spfx30
Member since 2005 • 9945 Posts
Ah, such fun times at FSU. :lol:
razman55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 razman55
Member since 2003 • 3507 Posts
Woah harsh blow for FSU, it will take em' time to ajust to all this.
nationyde5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 nationyde5
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
The only thing that makes me mad is the vacating of the wins, that's just crazy to me, mean while nothing happens to USC for Bush/mayo scandals.
spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spfx30

The only thing that makes me mad is the vacating of the wins, that's just crazy to me, mean while nothing happens to USC for Bush/mayo scandals.nationyde5

While I agree that USC should have been penalized, I disagree with the notion that FSU shouldn't forfeit their victories. FSU is complaining that doing so wouldn't be right nor fair, but I fail to understand how those victories are so important that they should be maintained. It's ridiculous that the school's attitude is, "Winning is more important than being ethical."

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts
Don't they suspend bowl games too? Espurs117

nope...

I think it's bs though for the NCAA to take away wins from Bobby & the team. I'm sure if the coaching staff knew what was going on, the cheaters would have been suspended. And soon as FSU found out about it, they told the NCAA. Yea I agree on the probation & loss of scholarships, but don't go back and try to change history. Bobby deserves those W's, specially since he didn't knowingly play the guys that cheated.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

[QUOTE="nationyde5"]The only thing that makes me mad is the vacating of the wins, that's just crazy to me, mean while nothing happens to USC for Bush/mayo scandals.spfx30

While I agree that USC should have been penalized, I disagree with the notion that FSU shouldn't forfeit their victories. FSU is complaining that doing so wouldn't be right nor fair, but I fail to understand how those victories are so important that they should be maintained. It's ridiculous that the school's attitude is, "Winning is more important than being ethical."

The reason FSU wants to keep those wins is because Bobby Bowden is one win behind Joe Paterno for the most coaching wins in the history of the sport.

And the wins will be vacated, not forfeited. If they were forfeited, the wins would count as losses and the teams that FSU beat would count them as wins. Since they're being vacated, they don't count at all.

All this does is encourage teams not to self-report like FSU did. These penalties are ridiculous for a tutor giving answers on an online test for music history class.

spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spfx30
[QUOTE="spfx30"]

[QUOTE="nationyde5"]The only thing that makes me mad is the vacating of the wins, that's just crazy to me, mean while nothing happens to USC for Bush/mayo scandals.ShuLordLiuPei

The reason FSU wants to keep those wins is because Bobby Bowden is one win behind Joe Paterno for the most coaching wins in the history of the sport.

And the wins will be vacated, not forfeited. If they were forfeited, the wins would count as losses and the teams that FSU beat would count them as wins. Since they're being vacated, they don't count at all.

All this does is encourage teams not to self-report like FSU did. These penalties are ridiculous for a tutor giving answers on an online test for music history class.

Thanks for clarifying to me the difference between "forfeit" and "vacate". :) At any rate, though, I still must disagree with FSU's standing regarding this issue. You are correct in stating that the Seminoles highly value continuing the "battle" for most wins between Paterno and Bowden. However, that's just my point.

It is utterly ridiculous that FSU so highly values the aforementioned contest, that they firmly believe it should nullify any sort of athletic punishment(s). Okay, so the university academically punished all of the known offenders. Great, but big deal. Some of the offending students may still have participated in athletic contests, and that renders all the academic punishments pointless. Because, it supports the notion that, "Well hey, I can cheat but still play games."

If the NCAA does nothing in the wake of this whole mess, that ideology will only prosper. :|

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts
Thanks for clarifying to me the difference between "forfeit" and "vacate". :) At any rate, though, I still must disagree with FSU's standing regarding this issue. You are correct in stating that the Seminoles highly value continuing the "battle" for most wins between Paterno and Bowden. However, that's just my point.

It is utterly ridiculous that FSU so highly values the aforementioned contest, that they firmly believe it should nullify any sort of athletic punishment(s). Okay, so the university academically punished all of the known offenders. Great, but big deal. Some of the offending students may still have participated in athletic contests, and that renders all the academic punishments pointless. Because, it supports the notion that, "Well hey, I can cheat but still play games."

If the NCAA does nothing in the wake of this whole mess, that ideology will only prosper. :|

spfx30

FSU already punished itself. The players were suspended, the team went of probabation, and we got rid of scholarships. The NCAA added the punishments of vacating the wins. The coaching staff likely had no knowledge that the tutor gave them answers, or they would have suspended the players before.

Many FSU fans are happy about the vacated wins, though. Some of them don't care about the Bowden vs Paterno record, but they see Bowden as a coach past his time. Most of the FSU fans I've talked to online would rather have Jimbo Fisher as the head coach, so FSU can "return". Personally I'd love to see Bowden have the record over Paterno before he goes.

But this thing reaches past football. The NCAA took away FSU's track National Championship, and got rid of all of the runner's records.

spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spfx30
[QUOTE="spfx30"]Thanks for clarifying to me the difference between "forfeit" and "vacate". :) At any rate, though, I still must disagree with FSU's standing regarding this issue. You are correct in stating that the Seminoles highly value continuing the "battle" for most wins between Paterno and Bowden. However, that's just my point.

ShuLordLiuPei

FSU already punished itself. The players were suspended, the team went of probabation, and we got rid of scholarships. The NCAA added the punishments of vacating the wins. The coaching staff likely had no knowledge that the tutor gave them answers, or they would have suspended the players before.

Many FSU fans are happy about the vacated wins, though. Some of them don't care about the Bowden vs Paterno record, but they see Bowden as a coach past his time. Most of the FSU fans I've talked to online would rather have Jimbo Fisher as the head coach, so FSU can "return". Personally I'd love to see Bowden have the record over Paterno before he goes.

But this thing reaches past football. The NCAA took away FSU's track National Championship, and got rid of all of the runner's records.

Response to first bolded statement: Again, it's commendable that FSU went to those lengths. However, as I mentioned, it still holds no effect on the offending players. Because, the simple fact that the wins remain is proof to the ineligible athletes that, although suspensions and such were handed out, their contributions before the suspensions still count. That's not a good example to set for future prospects. :|

Response to second bolded statement: Well honestly, that's on the coaches. I understand they cannot and will not hold their players' hands every step of the way and watch their lives like hawks, but they are still responsible for keeping tabs on their academic performance and making sure that the grades are where they need to be. That's the whole point of the term "student-athletes". And this scenario is exactly the kind that perterbs JoePa and other individuals who value academics over athletics: people (the coaches, students, teachers, and such) get so wrapped up into the athletic side of things, that academics start to fall by the wayside and after a while, no one has a clue who's doing well and who's not. But really, no one then cares, because it's all about how well the kids do in the sports, right? :roll:

nationyde5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 nationyde5
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
spfx30, dude I'm sorry but you need to get off of that high horse. You are so naive if you think that other schools don't have that same attitude towards student atheletes. Especially football and basketball, I'm not saying I think it's right, but the bottom line is that at all of these "football" schools, winning is everything. FSU got caught, that's fine it happens. I'm not saying that I agree with programs doing so, but NONE of these schools that get mentioned in this forum are above using certain tactics to get the best players and to keep them eligible. If you think otherwise you need to get a clue.
spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spfx30

spfx30, dude I'm sorry but you need to get off of that high horse. You are so naive if you think that other schools don't have that same attitude towards student atheletes. Especially football and basketball, I'm not saying I think it's right, but the bottom line is that at all of these "football" schools, winning is everything. FSU got caught, that's fine it happens. I'm not saying that I agree with programs doing so, but NONE of these schools that get mentioned in this forum are above using certain tactics to get the best players and to keep them eligible. If you think otherwise you need to get a clue.nationyde5

Way to be rude. :lol: I'm not on any high horse and I'm certainly not naive about the general attitudes regarding sports among today's colleges and universities. My point is, when will an example be made? When will the standard finally be set? If FSU is let go on this one, it will show that this is just another major incident that the NCAA doesn't care about. No. It's time the NCAA grows a pair and does what it says it will do. This time, it just happens to be FSU in the predicament. If that upsets you, oh well. That's how it goes. Do you really think I wouldn't be as adament if we were discussing any other program? I would be, to give you some peace of mind. :|