sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sith_acolyte15
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

We all know the Big Ten has announced they plan on expanding. Now the Pac 10 is apparently following suit. Who do you think would be the teams to fill those slots? If they end up being from other BCS conferences, who then is picked up as a replacement? What, then, does the Big East do? They'd be the only BCS conference without enough teams to have a CCG. In order for all of these conferences to expand like that, they're gonna have to rob from the mid-majors. What, then, happnes to them? They pretty much might as well go down to 1AA (**** this "FCS" ****, I still don't like it), because they have pretty much zero chance at being competitive. Some interesting changes appear to be coming around the corner in college football.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts

Boise and Fresno could be good members of the Pac-10, they aren't as bad as Washington St. is now.

The Big East will whine and complain and then when basketball season comes around, they'll turn around and say "we're the best".

In other news, Texas has had "preliminary exchanges" about joining the Big 10.

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sith_acolyte15

I'll be completely surprised if it ends up being Texas that joins the Big 10. It'll be insanely exciting for the conference, but still a massive shocker. Could any other single event rock the world of college football more than that move? Hell, I don't think Notre Dame joining any conference would be as big a move...ok, I may be exaggerating a tad bit there....

After reading that article, it's very possible the Big XII implodes after some of these dominos fall. It could be losing multiple teams to the Big 10 and/or Pac 10. The Big 10 may be looking to add upwards of 3 or even 5 teams (to go to 14 or 16). That's flat out insane to think about! Some of those remaining teams are still possibly looking at the Pac 10 as a possibility. Hell, after all of that, the SEC may make a move for a few of the remaining teams.

This may all end up being nothing at all, but when you think about the possibilities of it...a LOT of **** may be going down before long.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
Its a mind **** in my opinion.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#5 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Well, the big rumor I've heard is that Colorado and Utah are headed to the Pac 10. An in-state rumor here is that Georgia State wants to head to the Big East, though that wouldn't strengthen them in any way. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sith_acolyte15
The three teams I'm hearing about the most in terms of the Pac 10 are Colorado, Utah, and BYU. I wouldn't be surprised to see Villanova make the jump to 1A and join the Big East. Maybe not right away, but after a season or two of being up. The Big East is gonna have to do something, otherwise they might as well give up their auto-bid. lol
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CommanderShiro
The three teams I'm hearing about the most in terms of the Pac 10 are Colorado, Utah, and BYU. I wouldn't be surprised to see Villanova make the jump to 1A and join the Big East. Maybe not right away, but after a season or two of being up. The Big East is gonna have to do something, otherwise they might as well give up their auto-bid. lolsith_acolyte15
Haven't really warranted keeping that auto-bid for some time now.
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 geaux321

The three teams I'm hearing about the most in terms of the Pac 10 are Colorado, Utah, and BYU. I wouldn't be surprised to see Villanova make the jump to 1A and join the Big East. Maybe not right away, but after a season or two of being up. The Big East is gonna have to do something, otherwise they might as well give up their auto-bid. lolsith_acolyte15

The thing about the Big East might come down to basketball, they have like 20 teams in the Big East for basketball which is ridiculous.

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sith_acolyte15

Yeah, but most of them either don't have a football team, or it doesn't play at the 1A level.

bjvb15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bjvb15
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Boise and Fresno could be good members of the Pac-10, they aren't as bad as Washington St. is now.

geaux321

IMO, these 2 teams do not make sense.  First off Fresno is a Cal State Uni (CSU) school, not a University of Cal (UC).  CSUs don't have the academics that UC schools have (No way the PAC-10 puts a CSU school in with the UC). Second Boise doesn't have the academics either. Boise has a decent athletic program, but it's not PAC-10 caliber (other than football and wrestling). Boise has shown if you give them money, they will build up the university overall (academics and athletics). I believe that is one of their biggest assets and maybe this (#1 non-AQ in merch sales). Both teams are in small time media markets.

A better fit might be Utah and BYU or Colorado. Utah is almost a given at this point. BYU has the "we don't play on sunday" issue. Personally, I think that shouldn't hurt BYU, but it probably will in the end. It seems to me that the PAC-10 would only take Colorado for their academics. Their athletics was good, but not anymore.

There might be some dark horses out there. How about Nevada and UNLV? They just about have most of the criteria the PAC-10 looks for; in-state rivalry, good academics, west of the rockies.

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sith_acolyte15
What'll hurt UNLV and Nevada is that they're mediocre, at best, in the "major" sports.
UNLV has two non-losing seasons over the last decade. They were 8-5 in 2000, and 6-6 in 2003. UNLV averaged only 4 wins in the decade.
Nevada hasn't had 10+ wins since 1991. They won 9 only once in this decade. Over the last 5 years, Nevada was an 7-9 win team in the WAC, while averaging only 5.9 wins a season over the last decade.
Other than being in-state rivals, and being west o the rockies, these two teams really don't seem to be the best option for the Pac 10. Unless they don't mind having another Washington/Washington State.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamerForca
Is the Pac 10 really going to keep teams out based on academics at this point in time? With the SEC and Big 12 probably being the best football conferences over the last few years, I'm sure the Pac 10 has noticed that those two are also the weakest academically (although the Big East is probably weakest if we're strictly talking football). The Pac 10 could afford to allow in Fresno and Boise and still look good academically. That said, it doesn't seem like the Pac 10 is very interested in either one of them. Colorado and Utah still look like the favorites to me. Boise and Fresno's best chance would be to join the MWC and hope that the MWC takes away the Big East's auto-bid.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GamerForca

All right, some big changes possibly occuring in the upcoming months.  Looks like the Big 12 is going to crumble.  A&M and possibly Texas Tech are in serious discussions with the SEC.  As everyone probably knows, the Pac-10 has offered six Big 12 teams including Texas.  Academic standards obviously NOT a concern, as Texas is the only good academic institution that they've offered.  Looks like Mizzou and maybe Nebraska want to move over to the Big Ten.  Boise State on the verge of a move to the MWC, an offer to Fresno probably imminent.  The Big Ten also wants Texas, but Texas has been mute towards interest from the Pac-10, Big Ten , and SEC.  Oklahoma schools might get an SEC offer as well. 

A lot of speculation as well.  If the Pac-10 makes a super-conference, the SEC will likely counter with A&M, 3 or 4 ACC schools including Miami, Florida State, and Georgia Tech, and I would think they'd offer Southern Miss, which is basically an SEC school already.   The ACC might then snap up West Virginia, UConn, and Pitt from the Big East, and then you can kiss the Big East goodbye as far as football goes.  Notre Dame still spurning interest from everyone.  The Big 12 could absorb the some of the MWC if they lose most of their conference.  Pac-10 showing no interest for Boise or Utah, and the Big Ten seems to be the only conference still caring for academics in the slightest.  If all this happens, then the Big 12 and Big East will probably load up with small conference teams, and then we'll see a big migration of FCS teams moving up.  

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CommanderShiro
I'm pretty sure big moves are going to happen sooner rather than later now. No more relevance for smaller schools in football once its all done.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts

The most likely scenario is Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, Okie State and colorado going to the Pac-10. Which will clearly be the best conference (pending on what the sec does). I think the big draw in is the television network deal they will get.  This is very exciting.

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sith_acolyte15
Whoever lands Texas, is getting at least A&M (possibly Tech) as well. Too much politics for the Texas schools to be separated.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CommanderShiro

The most likely scenario is Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, Okie State and colorado going to the Pac-10. Which will clearly be the best conference (pending on what the sec does). I think the big draw in is the television network deal they will get.  This is very exciting.

Put_in_Kitna
SEC won't sit on their asses I'm sure. Still don't really know who would be possible additions.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Put_in_Kitna

Whoever lands Texas, is getting at least A&M (possibly Tech) as well. Too much politics for the Texas schools to be separated.sith_acolyte15

Their not losing Oklahoma and the Red River shootout. Oklahoma isnt losing Ok State. Basically Texas is bringing the goods from the Big 12 wherever they go. 

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Put_in_Kitna
[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

CommanderShiro

SEC won't sit on their asses I'm sure. Still don't really know who would be possible additions.

Think Big East. 

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GamerForca
[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

Put_in_Kitna

Think Big East. 

Not a chance.  Think ACC.   Florida State, Miami, and Georgia Tech.  Big 12 is still in there too.  OU and Okie State are still possibilities.  UGA plays GT every year even though they're in different conferences.  UF plays FSU every year too.  Texas and OU could continue their series regardless of what conferences they're in.

Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Put_in_Kitna
[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"][QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]

GamerForca

Think Big East. 

Not a chance.  Think ACC.   Florida State, Miami, and Georgia Tech.  Big 12 is still in there too.  OU and Okie State are still possibilities.  UGA plays GT every year even though they're in different conferences.  UF plays FSU every year too.  Texas and OU could continue their series regardless of what conferences they're in.

Oops I thought Miami and FSU and for some reason thought Big East. Yeah I know its possible, but im saying as far as it looks right now Texas is taking along schools of its choice and that includes A&M and OU.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CommanderShiro
Looks like Nebraska is leaving for the Big 10 now. The dominoes will start to fall.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GamerForca
Colorado to the Pac-10 is official. Super conferences confirmed.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Put_in_Kitna
See you later Big 12. It was a good run. I wonder whats gonna happen to Kansas, they got a huge basketball program.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts
If any of the Texas or Oklahoma schools leave you can bet the rest will follow.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CommanderShiro
End of Big 12 is imminent now. I always considered the conference to be 2nd only to the SEC in terms of football.
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 geaux321

Talk about an interesting off-season.  Enjoy the next couple of seasons because when these changes take effect all hell will break loose.

Sonwhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sonwhy
Member since 2009 • 1032 Posts
This is great for all of college football outside the Big 12
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CommanderShiro
This is great for all of college football outside the Big 12Sonwhy
I don't think so in my opinion. Its really going to hurt smaller conferences/schools, because now they are officially irrelevant. Money drives everything now. Forget tradition.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CJL13

[QUOTE="Sonwhy"]This is great for all of college football outside the Big 12CommanderShiro
I don't think so in my opinion. Its really going to hurt smaller conferences/schools, because now they are officially irrelevant. Money drives everything now. Forget tradition.

Pretty much, there's no way we're seeing a undefeated team not from these conferences in a BCS game now. Plus in basketball you can bet the first 64 teams will be mainly these teams and the 32 extra will be mostly the conference winners from the non super conferences who will have to play each other just to have a chance at facing a super conference team. I suppose that's better than having a 64 team tournament where most likely only the conference winners from non-super conferences would be allowed in the tourney because all the at-large spots will be taking by super conferences teams claiming to have a good schedule.

And how are they going to set up the non-BCS bowl games now?! Is it just going to be super conference teams facing off against each other where the non super conferences will have to pull a Boise State/TCU performance just to get in a bowl game?!

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sith_acolyte15
Nebraska is now in the Big Ten
Colorado is now in the Pact 10
Boise is now in the Mountain West (they deserve an auto-bid more than the Big East now more than ever)
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State are all looking to potentially go to the Pac 10
Texas A&M is looking at either the Pac 10 or the SEC. I don't see them going anywhere that Texas doesn't go as well.
Missouri could still be added to the Big Ten
Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State all look to be up ****-creek right now.

This doesn't even include the rumors of Big East teams that look to be getting picked up by the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CommanderShiro

Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State all look to be up ****-creek right now.
sith_acolyte15
Mountain West should pursue them, boost their basketball.
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sith_acolyte15
I actually considered that possibility today.
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 geaux321
So Texas is staying put and the Big 12 is now the Big 10 and vice versa.
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sith_acolyte15

I guess this "new TV deal" of the Big "XII" won't take affect until at least the 2012 season. Maybe later. And I guess there are already a few teams really pissed about how much more of the pie Texas is taking for itself. To me, it just looks the conference is delaying the inevitable. I don't see how the Big XII is gonna survive much longer. At least as an actual competitive conference.

On a side note. Does anyone else kinda wish Espurs hadn't gotten his ass banned? I'd really like to see what his take on all of this is. Especially right before this latest development.

bjvb15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bjvb15
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Big 10 - 12 teams

Big 12 - 10 teams

Pac 10 - 11 teams (probably be 12 if/when Utah accepts invite)

What's in a name? lol

I am excited, for now, for Boise's move to the MWC.  Finally out of the WAC.  I can accept a loss from the top teams of the MWC, but not a single team from the WAC.

I still don't think the conference realignment is over.  If it is done for this year, I think there will be more movement in about 3-5 years from now.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GamerForca

On a side note. Does anyone else kinda wish Espurs hadn't gotten his ass banned? I'd really like to see what his take on all of this is. Especially right before this latest development.

sith_acolyte15

He would've been banned anyway for arguing with me on the sports board. Right after I got pissed off about the Big 12 people and their crap academic argument and called Texas scared.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 geaux321

"They" say Utah will accept the Pac-10/11 bid.

Does anyone else hope for drastic name changes?  The Big 10/12 stuff will get confusing for a little while.

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sith_acolyte15

Apparently the Big Ten has no desire to do any name changes anytime soon. They view it too much as a type of "corporate branding" to change it at this point. The Big Ten is instantly recognizable. The Greater Midwest Conference, not so much.

Saw on ESPN late last night that Utah has accepted an invite into the Pac 10. Not sure when they'll officially make the move. Probably the same time as Colorado. Not surprised all that much by this move. I just really would've liked to see a MWC that could legitemately start to push for auto-bid status within the BCS. Maybe it'll happen with the Big XII stops fighting the inevitable and folds. Possibly along with the Big East.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CommanderShiro
[QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"]

GamerForca

He would've been banned anyway for arguing with me on the sports board. Right after I got pissed off about the Big 12 people and their crap academic argument and called Texas scared.

He lurks in the shadows.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Put_in_Kitna
Good move for Utah. Now is the time for the Big 12 to go after a team like Tcu or Houston. Would be a great fit.
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sith_acolyte15
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"]

CommanderShiro

He lurks in the shadows.

He needs to make a new account already! Anyone still in contact with him, tell him I'm calling him out. :P

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CommanderShiro
[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"]

sith_acolyte15

He lurks in the shadows.

He needs to make a new account already! Anyone still in contact with him, tell him I'm calling him out. :P

Shhh! The mods lurk this place too.
sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sith_acolyte15
[QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"][QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"]

CommanderShiro

He lurks in the shadows.

Well, then do it on the DL. Do I have to think of everything?!

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CJL13
[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"][QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="sith_acolyte15"]

sith_acolyte15

He lurks in the shadows.

Well, then do it on the DL. Do I have to think of everything?!

Every time you feel like you were poked by a couple of horns, he's there.