lyoko411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lyoko411
Member since 2007 • 591 Posts

do u guys think zeldas an rpg? cause some sites say so and others say no. so i just want to know what u guys think.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts

Zelda has always seemed to be an Adventure game first and foremost, with RPG tendencies. It focuses a great deal more on the actual adventuring and action though, with the RPG aspect mostly coming in with the Heart Pieces and equipment, yet most games have various methods of increasing the utility of a character and increasing strength and such.

If I were to classify most of the games in the series as one genre, it would be action/adventure.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

It's mostly adventure, but it's still kind of an RPG. You get more health and sometimes magic, you buy items to help on your adventure, you get alot of equipment/tools and upgrades to those equipment/tools.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gary_Jinfield

It's mostly adventure, but it's still kind of an RPG. You get more health and sometimes magic, you buy items to help on your adventure, you get alot of equipment/tools and upgrades to those equipment/tools.

DJ-Lafleur

Everything besides the magic can also be applied to the Metroid series and most series for that matter.

The different genres often intermingle with no set boundaries, causing difficulty in sorting games into such categories.

DraggoonX12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DraggoonX12
Member since 2004 • 10982 Posts
I always Considered it Action/Adventure. But Some people considerit RPG.
Avatar image for seiferdante1000
seiferdante1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 seiferdante1000
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

which Zelda?

Zelda II for nes is most definitely an RPG

alttp can also be considered one due to the key items that increase strength, and other abilities

other than that it's mostly action/adventure w/ role-playing tendencies

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gary_Jinfield

I always Considered it Action/Adventure. But Some people considerit RPG.DraggoonX12

Even Nintendo is confused in regards to the genre of the games as a whole. Oot is listed as an RPG while Loz is listed as an adventure game on the virtual console the last time I checked.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
It has lots of RPG elements like how Link gets new weapons and items as well as more health and magic and skills and such. There's no leveling up or anything but I suppose it can be considered Action Adventure RPG.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

[QUOTE="DraggoonX12"]I always Considered it Action/Adventure. But Some people considerit RPG.Gary_Jinfield

Even Nintendo is confused in regards to the genre of the games as a whole. Oot is listed as an RPG while Loz is listed as an adventure game on the virtual console the last time I checked.

Well, it is role-playing.... but using that logic, every game can be an RPG.

I personally consider Zelda to be Action/Adeventure.

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 metroid_dragon
Member since 2003 • 1964 Posts
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

[QUOTE="DraggoonX12"]I always Considered it Action/Adventure. But Some people considerit RPG.NWA_31

I agree, the thought that an RPG is any game where you assume a role is pretty silly. Zelda has always been an adventure game for me, neverfitting in with the idea of RPG. RPG's typically have more of a level up system than getting heart pieces to slowly increase your health.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="NWA_31"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

[QUOTE="DraggoonX12"]I always Considered it Action/Adventure. But Some people considerit RPG.metroid_dragon

I agree, the thought that an RPG is any game where you assume a role is pretty silly. Zelda has always been an adventure game for me, neverfitting in with the idea of RPG. RPG's typically have more of a level up system than getting heart pieces to slowly increase your health.

They also generally seem to have a greater focus on actual statistics for different attributes. (Which are then usually leveled up throughout the game as you stated.)

Avatar image for Dark_Master5151
Dark_Master5151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Dark_Master5151
Member since 2006 • 165 Posts
Like GJ said, it's not a RPG in itself though does feature RPG elements. Upgrading equipment and heart containers are probably the most notable elements, though there are few other things in there too...
DraggoonX12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 DraggoonX12
Member since 2004 • 10982 Posts

Zelda Alos Doesn't have that RPG feel. You know the:

"Use Rusty Sword to earn enough to get Shiny one. Then Use shiny one to get an Even shinier one."

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I'd say the cel shaded Zelda games are the only ones they could turn into RPGs. But that would mean making party members.Any ideas on party members? Also real time of turn based which would be better?

metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metroid_dragon
Member since 2003 • 1964 Posts

Zelda Alos Doesn't have that RPG feel. You know the:

"Use Rusty Sword to earn enough to get Shiny one. Then Use shiny one to get an Even shinier one."

DraggoonX12

Exactly, we have those "deliver the frog before it spoils to trade for eyedrops" quests.

zackrocks2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zackrocks2000
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
i say action/adventure for it does not have an way to raise your strength if you want an rpg Final Fantasy is the way to go
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gary_Jinfield

I'd say the cel shaded Zelda games are the only ones they could turn into RPGs. But that would mean making party members.Any ideas on party members? Also real time of turn based which would be better?

Celsius765

You wouldn't necessarily need party members.