Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts

Time to sahre your thoughts about this magic game:D. To me:

Pros: Innovative gameplay, tons of sidequests, enemiesm skills, etc. ; good story, impressive graphics and good OST, Clan Centurio challenges had great moments.

Cons: Tons of enemies to loot from :P, no real background from characters apart of  Ashe,  limit braks dont have senseand relationship withj the characters and their skills.

nim22ama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nim22ama
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

Pros: great world and setting, Rabanastre, judges, Vayne, gambits, Cid, The story is very good the first 1/3 in the game, addictive, hunts, Balthier

Cons: not much character development, Vaan, the story is not so solid after a certain point in the game, Al-Cid, we did not get to see Rosalia, summons were useless, not a memorable OST(it was ok), the ending was not super bad, but it wasn't great.

Overall, this was a truly great game in my humble opinion.

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 angelbless

Yes i forgot the Summons thing :?

Pros: great world and setting, Rabanastre, judges, Vayne, gambits, Cid, The story is very good the first 1/3 in the game, addictive, hunts, Balthier

Cons: not much character development, Vaan, the story is not so solid after a certain point in the game, Al-Cid, we did not get to see Rosalia, summons were useless, not a memorable OST(it was ok), the ending was not super bad, but it wasn't great.

Overall, this was a truly great game in my humble opinion.

nim22ama
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

Pros: The combat system is excellent, the story is great, and Ashe, Balthier, and Basch are epic win.

Cons: Lack of memorable tracks, Penelo and Vaan aren't developed well at all, and the ending is kinda dissapointing.

Darmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Darmi
Member since 2004 • 5562 Posts

Pros:

• Huge variety of weapons that could be used by any character
  • Gambits
  • Quickenings were cool once you got good at them
  • Magic system (letting you recover magic by walking made it worth using since you didn't have to keep going back to recover MP)

Cons:

• Some forgettable characters
  • Plot holes (why are these people even travelling together? It makes less sense than the average Dungeons and Dragons party)
  • Zodiark Spear

Avatar image for Cloud_Strife_74
Cloud_Strife_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Cloud_Strife_74
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
Yeah Overall great adventure and gameplay,but the espers where useless,and yes there is no memorble theme song.
nim22ama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nim22ama
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

Pros:

• Huge variety of weapons that could be used by any character
  • Gambits
  • Quickenings were cool once you got good at them
  • Magic system (letting you recover magic by walking made it worth using since you didn't have to keep going back to recover MP)

Cons:

• Some forgettable characters
  • Plot holes (why are these people even travelling together? It makes less sense than the average Dungeons and Dragons party)
  • Zodiark Spear

Darmi

Plot holes, I do agree with 100%, but I blame that on SE not giving Matsuno the creative freedom he needed for this game. He did not want Vaan to be the leading character, but they forced him. I won't discuss this further, but his departure did hurt the game. Had he stayed, this would probably have been my favorite game of all time.

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts
nice job angelbless i was thinking about putting Thoughts FFXII up but i see you are already ahead of me.......what will be next since FFXIII is not out? Will there be like Revent Wings and all thoes sequels, and prequels, and stuff, or we just gonna leave it at FFXII? FFXII for some reason was my least favorite or second least favorite game in the FF series, i dont know why i mean it had great i mean really great battle system, great questing style, and sound and graphics were good, but something was wrong. It just did not feel like Final Fantasy to me, it looked like another RPG that tryed to be like FF, i guess it was the story, I mean all FF's start off almost the same way, and this one started off differently than all other FF.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

FFXII started off differently because it was a tip of the hat to the FFT Ivalice, a story of political intrigue with a mystical evil pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

PROS: Excellent graphics, all characters except Vaan and Penelo (Balthier FTW), the speech style (absolutely loved the dialogue in FFXII), the immensity of the game, intriguing places, amazing story, and a staggering amount of side quests.

CONS: Vaan and Penelo, the OST wasn't on par with previous installments, summons were only gimmicky except for Zodiark (though they all have an interesting mini-backstory behind them)

I wish the party was more diverse with races, too. It would have been cool if Basch was a Bangaa and Penelo was a Nu Mou, heh. Also...I want playable Moogles. 

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

FFXII started off differently because it was a tip of the hat to the FFT Ivalice, a story of political intrigue with a mystical evil pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

PROS: Excellent graphics, all characters except Vaan and Penelo (Balthier FTW), the speech style (absolutely loved the dialogue in FFXII), the immensity of the game, intriguing places, amazing story, and a staggering amount of side quests.

CONS: Vaan and Penelo, the OST wasn't on par with previous installments, summons were only gimmicky except for Zodiark (though they all have an interesting mini-backstory behind them)

I wish the party was more diverse with races, too. It would have been cool if Basch was a Bangaa and Penelo was a Nu Mou, heh. Also...I want playable Moogles.

Khadaj32

I have to agree on the Panelo issue, she was a completly useless character from a storyline perspective, I personally think that had the story of FF12 been better and more interesting, FF12 would have a much, much better game, because I felt FF12's greatest weakness was its storyline

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 angelbless
Maybe SE released Revenant Wings to add a little to the background of Vaan and Penelo :P
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007
never played the DS game, since I dont really own a DS, my brother owns a DS, so I hardly play games for it
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

but in all honesty, I dont think a game should need spinoffs to make it better,I think FF7 was just fine without the movie (which sucked other then the cool fights), and dirge of cerberus (which I just reviewed).

if a game disappoints in the first itiration, no amount of spinoffs will save it

fffan9391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 fffan9391
Member since 2007 • 4967 Posts
[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Darkman2007

I have to agree on the Panelo issue, she was a completly useless character from a storyline perspective, I personally think that had the story of FF12 been better and more interesting, FF12 would have a much, much better game, because I felt FF12's greatest weakness was its storyline

The story and the music killed it for me.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

fffan9391

in all honesty for me it was the lack luster story, I suppose the music wasnt bad, but not memorable either,

if the only character I liked was Balthier, then things arent looking good

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Khadaj32
I enjoyed the story (but keep in mind I'm a hopeless FFFanboy, it's damn near a religion to me so I could be a little blinded, heh) but the OST wasn't exactly FFX caliber. FFXII: Revenant Wings was pretty cool, I just played through again, gonna write a review for it tonight. I enjoyed its RTS style, and Vaan as more of the "leading man." To tell you the truth, Vaan wouldn't have been so bad in XII if a different voice actor has been used...I mean, good lord.
fffan9391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 fffan9391
Member since 2007 • 4967 Posts
[QUOTE="fffan9391"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Darkman2007

in all honesty for me it was the lack luster story, I suppose the music wasnt bad, but not memorable either,

if the only character I liked was Balthier, then things arent looking good

Balthier was the only character with personality, but I still hated him as much as the rest. None of the characters were memorable at all.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

I think that Final Fantasy XII was a much needed breath of fresh air for a series that was in danger of becoming stale, in both the gameplay and story department. It does not have a main character, and I like that. Instead, the story takes a much grander scale and focuses on a massive forthcoming war and ties it together with a collection of people that are major players in it. It isnt character driven. IT is event driven. A lot of people see this as a bad thing because they see the characters as underdeveloped, but I disagree with this. The characters are no more or less developed than other FF characters. The story just doesn't focus on them. IT doesnt shove the character developement in your face like previous games. I also liked that the story was much darker than your typical FF and quite a bit more political. It was such a change from the norm.

What can be said about the voice work that hasn't already been said? It is fan freaking tastic. It blows all other Final Fantasy related voice work clear out of the water with just how good it was. IT stands up there with games such as Metal Gear Solid with how good it's voice work is. Some people said Fran wasnt that good, but I disagree. I thought her voicework was perfect for her. She struck me as being similar to Vulcans where hsedoesnt run on emotion so much as she does on logic, so the emotion tends to hide itself with her character. I thought that was cool.

Why shouldnt the voicework be good when the script that the actors had to work with was top notch? The scripting for this game is worthy of Stanley Kubrick. IT is, honestly, that good. IT is incredibly sharp and well written. It is like they took extra care to translate this one extremely well, and it shows. Matsuno's scripts deserve that attention to detail, though. Have you played Vagrant Story? That was his game as well and the script was every bit as good. He also did Final Fantasy Tactics, whose script wasnt all that great because of translation issues. IF you have played the PSP port of this game, however, you have seen what should have been. The scripting in that game is top notch as well. Nice job, Matsuno. You are amazing.

The music in this game is written by series veteran Hitoshi Sakimoto, whose other credits include the brilliant soundtracks for Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The guy knows what he is doing, and, if anyone should replace Uematsu as the series composure, it is him. The Theme of the Empire is a stunning and epic piece of work, and it just sets the tone for how good the music will be throughout the rest of the game.  It is, to say the least, beautiful. That being said, it is different. His music is more complex and more orchestrated than that of Uematsu, but it works. It is just as brilliant

What can I say about the gameplay? If you know me, you know random battles get on my nerves. NO RANDOM BATTLES! IT is the greatest thing to ever happen ti Final Fantasy gameplay. It took the traditional Final Fantasy battle system and made it work without the random battles. IT is the active time battle system without random encounters. That is all there is to it. IT is as simple as that, but it worked. I never got frustrated with this game because of the random encounters. When I was near dying, I knew I could get back to town without dying because I could just run back and not fear random battles that I cannot escape. Thank you! Finally. If you know me, then you also know that I dont like complete linearity in my RPGs (Final Fantasy X, I'm looking at you). This games world was massive and gorgeous. The jungles. The beach. The rolling dunes. IT was so gorgeous. I just couldnt wait to see what it would throw at me next. I loved exploring every nook and cranny of this games world. It was so beautiful and such a joy

Ok. I am done fanboying all over this game.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Khadaj32

I think that Final Fantasy XII was a much needed breath of fresh air for a series that was in danger of becoming stale, in both the gameplay and story department. It does not have a main character, and I like that. Instead, the story takes a much grander scale and focuses on a massive forthcoming war and ties it together with a collection of people that are major players in it. It isnt character driven. IT is event driven. A lot of people see this as a bad thing because they see the characters as underdeveloped, but I disagree with this. The characters are no more or less developed than other FF characters. The story just doesn't focus on them. IT doesnt shove the character developement in your face like previous games. I also liked that the story was much darker than your typical FF and quite a bit more political. It was such a change from the norm.

What can be said about the voice work that hasn't already been said? It is fan freaking tastic. It blows all other Final Fantasy related voice work clear out of the water with just how good it was. IT stands up there with games such as Metal Gear Solid with how good it's voice work is. Some people said Fran wasnt that good, but I disagree. I thought her voicework was perfect for her. She struck me as being similar to Vulcans where hsedoesnt run on emotion so much as she does on logic, so the emotion tends to hide itself with her character. I thought that was cool.

Why shouldnt the voicework be good when the script that the actors had to work with was top notch? The scripting for this game is worthy of Stanley Kubrick. IT is, honestly, that good. IT is incredibly sharp and well written. It is like they took extra care to translate this one extremely well, and it shows. Matsuno's scripts deserve that attention to detail, though. Have you played Vagrant Story? That was his game as well and the script was every bit as good. He also did Final Fantasy Tactics, whose script wasnt all that great because of translation issues. IF you have played the PSP port of this game, however, you have seen what should have been. The scripting in that game is top notch as well. Nice job, Matsuno. You are amazing.

The music in this game is written by series veteran Hitoshi Sakimoto, whose other credits include the brilliant soundtracks for Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The guy knows what he is doing, and, if anyone should replace Uematsu as the series composure, it is him. The Theme of the Empire is a stunning and epic piece of work, and it just sets the tone for how good the music will be throughout the rest of the game.  It is, to say the least, beautiful. That being said, it is different. His music is more complex and more orchestrated than that of Uematsu, but it works. It is just as brilliant

What can I say about the gameplay? If you know me, you know random battles get on my nerves. NO RANDOM BATTLES! IT is the greatest thing to ever happen ti Final Fantasy gameplay. It took the traditional Final Fantasy battle system and made it work without the random battles. IT is the active time battle system without random encounters. That is all there is to it. IT is as simple as that, but it worked. I never got frustrated with this game because of the random encounters. When I was near dying, I knew I could get back to town without dying because I could just run back and not fear random battles that I cannot escape. Thank you! Finally. If you know me, then you also know that I dont like complete linearity in my RPGs (Final Fantasy X, I'm looking at you). This games world was massive and gorgeous. The jungles. The beach. The rolling dunes. IT was so gorgeous. I just couldnt wait to see what it would throw at me next. I loved exploring every nook and cranny of this games world. It was so beautiful and such a joy

valereth-1

*agreeagreeagree*

And also agreed about Fran's voicing, I loved her manner of speaking. It's just Vaan's voice actor that I didn't like. While there is no technical main character as you said, Vaan is the "more or less" main (start with him, no matter who is lead he represents the party in towns/cities) and I just wish his voice actor was...different. The voice acting was good, just the voice actor wasn't stellar.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

valereth-1

*Swirves to avoid wall of text* Man, that was close! :o

That being said, I agree with you. ;)

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 valereth-1

*Swirves to avoid wall of text* Man, that was close! :o

That being said, I agree with you. ;)

DrAwesomeMD
I kinda figured you would
dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#22 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Pros:

Good Battle system,

Awesone sidequests doing hunts was fun

free roaming world lots of places to explore

fun boss battles

Cons:

Story was boring and bland

Lack of character development, characters were not interesting

Yiazmat- the battle was too drawn out and it takes too long to actually beat him

itachi100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23 itachi100
Member since 2007 • 1067 Posts
The game was too awesome. It was one of the best games in the series.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 valereth-1

Pros:

Good Battle system,

fun boss battles

Cons:

Yiazmat- the battle was too drawn out and it takes too long to actually beat him

dbz987
I dont know how you can call the story boring and bland. It was anything but boring and bland by the nature of it being so drastically different than anything typical of the JRPG genre
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Khadaj32
[QUOTE="dbz987"]

Pros:

Good Battle system,

fun boss battles

Cons:

valereth-1

I dont know how you can call the story boring and bland. It was anything but boring and bland by the nature of it being so drastically different than anything typical of the JRPG genre

Indeed. It was a story of political intrigue, more focused on the world itself than the characters, that was the point of it. There was no touching love story, no epic quest of self discovery. SE moved away from their traditional FF motife to focus on the world and the political behind the scenes plot twists that was the initial plot of the first step into Ivalice; Final Fantasy Tactics. After the emotionally driven story of FFX (which I immensely enjoyed) this was a nice change in the way of plot setup. And with Final Fantasy XIII seeming to be another emotional story with the focus on the characters, it's nice to see SE able to provide us with not only different stories, but different styles. 

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Khadaj32

Pros:

Good Battle system,

fun boss battles

Cons:

dbz987

FFXII was modeled off of MMO's, and having played a few, Yiazmat was a familiar challenge. I really enjoyed that fight, it reminded of when WoW was still good, back in the day with Ony wipes, then Vashj xD

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="dbz987"]

Pros:

Good Battle system,

fun boss battles

Cons:

Khadaj32

Indeed. It was a story of political intrigue, more focused on the world itself than the characters, that was the point of it. There was no touching love story, no epic quest of self discovery. SE moved away from their traditional FF motife to focus on the world and the political behind the scenes plot twists that was the initial plot of the first step into Ivalice; Final Fantasy Tactics. After the emotionally driven story of FFX (which I immensely enjoyed) this was a nice change in the way of plot setup. And with Final Fantasy XIII seeming to be another emotional story with the focus on the characters, it's nice to see SE able to provide us with not only different stories, but different styles. 

A lot of people had problems with the characters. I cannot help but wonder how much of that was just the result of the game not being character driven. The developement is still there, but it isnt shoved in your face, so to speak, like past FF games
smootheyes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smootheyes2
Member since 2005 • 3203 Posts

Khadaj32

I think i'm starting to get what my other colleagues said about the topic creation haha.
I do keep hearing that people don't like Vaan or Penelo.. but why!? I like Vaan. Yes some say he's whiney and annoying, but I dunno. Seems like the character was meant to be that way to me.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Khadaj32
[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

smootheyes2

I think i'm starting to get what my other colleagues said about the topic creation haha.
I do keep hearing that people don't like Vaan or Penelo.. but why!? I like Vaan. Yes some say he's whiney and annoying, but I dunno. Seems like the character was meant to be that way to me.

Vaan himself was okay, but his voice is so annoying. Penelo had potential to be a sweety, but...she didn't really do anything. Vaan instigated many of the events, so we know why he is there. Ashe is obvious, as is Basch. Balthier's motives seem unclear in the beginning, but are explained later, and Fran goes where he goes. All well and good, but...Penelo? What does she do besides scold Vaan and get kidnapped? The "fight for Dalmasca" reason is way too loose, as she barely contributes in conversations, or any important plot progression. Loved her in Revenant Wings, though.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 valereth-1
I kind of want to play Reverant Wings. I was a bit thrown off by the art direction, though. It doesnt fit the seriousness of FFXII
smootheyes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 smootheyes2
Member since 2005 • 3203 Posts

I kind of want to play Reverant Wings. I was a bit thrown off by the art direction, though. It doesnt fit the seriousness of FFXIIvalereth-1

Revenant Wings is a LOT of fun to play. Definitely reccommend it.

[QUOTE="smootheyes2"][QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Khadaj32

Vaan himself was okay, but his voice is so annoying. Penelo had potential to be a sweety, but...she didn't really do anything. Vaan instigated many of the events, so we know why he is there. Ashe is obvious, as is Basch. Balthier's motives seem unclear in the beginning, but are explained later, and Fran goes where he goes. All well and good, but...Penelo? What does she do besides scold Vaan and get kidnapped? The "fight for Dalmasca" reason is way too loose, as she barely contributes in conversations, or any important plot progression. Loved her in Revenant Wings, though.

Yeah Penelo is jsut the sidekick frined that keeps Vaan on track I reckon

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 valereth-1
I am sure I will check it out eventually
FinalFantasy49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 FinalFantasy49
Member since 2009 • 229 Posts
i have the special limited edition version, but the battle system stinks! there are no random battles which is a good change, but you just watch your characters fight, doing that for 112 hours is boring after about 80 hours, but i wanted to beat it
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 valereth-1
i have the special limited edition version, but the battle system stinks! there are no random battles which is a good change, but you just watch your characters fight, doing that for 112 hours is boring after about 80 hours, but i wanted to beat itFinalFantasy49
So turn gambits off?
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
I found it to be the best game in the series, it was very refreshing gameplay and story wise. I will admit Vaan is the worst protagonist in the series and that he does almost nothing that affects the overall plot (I think it would've actually been a better game if Vaan and Penelo were cut and the plot focused soley on Basch and Ashe) but if you ignore him it has a very entertaining story.