Is Square-Enix TIRED of the classic RPG Battles??!!!:(

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts

Looking back to FFXI, FFXII for PS2 and FFXII revenant wings battle system :?, Thing have changed a lot since the last rpg with ATB(Active time battle).

I mean originally in RPG´s games you had to wait between actions, you just selected the action and then wait for the characther(s) to do the action. This was someway callled ATB system, PLus, when you were selecting the actioins none enemy could attack you (wait mode) or it could actually attack you (active).

In FFXI and FFXII, Square Eni changed the system to ADB (active Decisive Battle), where enemies were around the map and you could actually attack  them like in a real time battle :P.

And in RW well, as far as i read have similarities to FFXII, plus a new way of using summons :?.

The question is, Do you think Square Enix got tired of the classic RPG´s gameplay or is this the....evolution... where RPG games tend to go? :?.

For me at the begining I though they got tired and wanted to create new process, but after reading about other RPG games, specially online games, I think is just the way RPG games will evolve, with better graphics, real time fights and many other things :P

Avatar image for TheForgotten0ne
TheForgotten0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheForgotten0ne
Member since 2007 • 3759 Posts
Well no, they are not tired, they know somethings has to change!
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 angelbless

Well no, they are not tired, they know somethings has to change!TheForgotten0ne

Well like people change, videogames change too...well all the world changes permanently :P. At the begining i didnt like too much FFXII´s battle system, but I accepted it later. But even do i accepted it, I think Im with the people who liked more the old calssic rpg style. Well if Square Enix is not tired, then it must be feeling the preasure of the evolution on gmaing :P

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
If you want to get technical, FFXII has a form of the ATB system. IT is modified and updated to be much more fluent by gettign rid of random battles, thereby making it more seemless and BETTER
AlBeadFFx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 AlBeadFFx
Member since 2004 • 5813 Posts
i have to agree with fs_metal. as much as i dont agree with him on some topics, he is right about this one
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fs_metal
Oh my God! YOU'RE asgreeing with me? Call Ripley. He won't believe this :P
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 angelbless

If you want to get technical, FFXII has a form of the ATB system. IT is modified and updated to be much more fluent by gettign rid of random battles, thereby making it more seemless and BETTERfs_metal

Indeed FFXII has been updated, technichally  ts different, but they could have updated the graphics in the old ATB :P. Well I dont think it could have been the same though.

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 angelbless

Oh my God! YOU'RE asgreeing with me? Call Ripley. He won't believe this :Pfs_metal

WEll there is always a first time :P 

Linkz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Linkz0r
Member since 2007 • 243 Posts

but this is a good thing because, do you really want the same battle system?

i love 12 battle system because it suprised all the fanboys with its greatness and 13 all i can express my feelings towards the battle system is omfg, thats my opinion, i like the change 

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 angelbless

i love 12 battle system because it suprised all the fanboys with its greatness and 13 all i can express my feelings towards the battle system is omfg, thats my opinion, i like the change

Linkz0r

Even do the change, created mixed reactions between fans, it was teh average amount of players that dont like the changes, Square Exni did a huge step in FFXII, and XIII will be a word of another world :)  

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]If you want to get technical, FFXII has a form of the ATB system. IT is modified and updated to be much more fluent by gettign rid of random battles, thereby making it more seemless and BETTERangelbless

Indeed FFXII has been updated, technichally ts different, but they could have updated the graphics in the old ATB :P. Well I dont think it could have been the same though.

But the ATM system has been out of date since 1996
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
[QUOTE="Linkz0r"]

angelbless

Even do the change, created mixed reactions between fans, it was teh average amount of players that dont like the changes, Square Exni did a huge step in FFXII, and XIII will be a word of another world :)  

I liked XII's battle system alot when I got used to it, and I'm excited to see more on how XIII's will work (that is, if I ever get a PS3), but I still like the old battle system alot, as well, and would hate for it to disappear.

Avatar image for the_winner30030
the_winner30030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 the_winner30030
Member since 2006 • 74 Posts

Well no, they are not tired, they know somethings has to change!TheForgotten0ne

I blame X2. lol yes they THOUGHT something had to change. From X2 there ATB seemed to disapear from the old random battles. SE might have thought it was getting old. But really FF12 has a feeling like online right no random battles and stuff targeting multiple targets getting attacked by more than one so on. If they keep that up i see no more use in me buying FF. They are trying to add online feel to there offline games making it truly....sad?. With ATB its fun i liked it and best of all it wouldnt really work online. making it somthing to look forward to. but with this new online feel there really is no point in me playing offline when i could just go buy XI or even WOW or somthing. So some things have to change... i feel like they have to change back to there old normal self. Get some good gameplay story and screw the graphics. Ya it looks cool but u cant tell me u rather see realistic people but only a 10 min game with no story what so ever. They should go back to what they were doing in my opinion.

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angelbless

[QUOTE="TheForgotten0ne"]Well no, they are not tired, they know somethings has to change!the_winner30030

I blame X2. lol yes they THOUGHT something had to change. From X2 there ATB seemed to disapear from the old random battles. SE might have thought it was getting old. But really FF12 has a feeling like online right no random battles and stuff targeting multiple targets getting attacked by more than one so on. If they keep that up i see no more use in me buying FF. They are trying to add online feel to there offline games making it truly....sad?. With ATB its fun i liked it and best of all it wouldnt really work online. making it somthing to look forward to. but with this new online feel there really is no point in me playing offline when i could just go buy XI or even WOW or somthing. So some things have to change... i feel like they have to change back to there old normal self. Get some good gameplay story and screw the graphics. Ya it looks cool but u cant tell me u rather see realistic people but only a 10 min game with no story what so ever. They should go back to what they were doing in my opinion.

I agree with you in most of the things, FFXII has a feeling of online game, nad added a realistic real-time game, but it juts avoided the original RPG concept. Thus creating mixed reactions among fans, i dont really know if they will go back to the previous form in fact tehy will add more real -time action to the game. So I tink we will miss the old RPG way in different wyas:cry:

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fs_metal
I know I won't miss it at all
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angelbless

I know I won't miss it at allfs_metal

No? Why not? You sure had good times with it too :P

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I know I won't miss it at allangelbless

Because random battles are so freaking tedious
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 angelbless
[QUOTE="angelbless"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I know I won't miss it at allfs_metal

Because random battles are so freaking tedious

Well actually yes, at some point the become tedious, unless you have a non encounter ability like in FFVIII. But in some point real time actions too become tedious, when you just wan t to run adn they attack you in masses :P, (well after 160 hours anything can become tedious :P) 

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fs_metal
Oblivion is playable that long without being tedious
Darmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Darmi
Member since 2004 • 5562 Posts

Oblivion is playable that long without being tediousfs_metal

It gets a little boring when you have to fight Goblin Warlords, Gloom Wraiths and ogres, they just have so much HP.  Other than that it is perfect. 

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 angelbless

Well i cant find to install Oblivion, its just run the begining movie and teh disspapears, must be something bad in my CPU :(

Linkz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Linkz0r

i love oblivion, and we all know darmi does :D

you should really try to install it 

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fs_metal

The game is greatness

Give Morrowind a try if Oblivion win't work 

Avatar image for ThisisMurderous
ThisisMurderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 ThisisMurderous
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts
The battle system in XII isn't really all that different aside from a few changes.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fs_metal
It took the battle system of previous games and eliminated random battles, thus making it all more seamless. No hitches. No loading other screens or any of that. That's all it did, really, apart from making it so that we don't have to heal every 30 freaking seconds. Thank God. I do not miss those mindless prepetitive tasks that the gambit system took care of
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 angelbless

It took the battle system of previous games and eliminated random battles, thus making it all more seamless. No hitches. No loading other screens or any of that. That's all it did, really, apart from making it so that we don't have to heal every 30 freaking seconds. Thank God. I do not miss those mindless prepetitive tasks that the gambit system took care offs_metal

jajajja, yip but this time you just put the Gambits On and you let The game run for itself, with Yiazmat I left the PS2 for 2 hours and they were still battling :?. There is a switch in this FFXII taht makes you participate less in this games :? 

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]It took the battle system of previous games and eliminated random battles, thus making it all more seamless. No hitches. No loading other screens or any of that. That's all it did, really, apart from making it so that we don't have to heal every 30 freaking seconds. Thank God. I do not miss those mindless prepetitive tasks that the gambit system took care ofangelbless

jajajja, yip but this time you just put the Gambits On and you let The game run for itself, with Yiazmat I left the PS2 for 2 hours and they were still battling :?. There is a switch in this FFXII taht makes you participate less in this games :?

Gambits are a godsend dude
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 angelbless
[QUOTE="angelbless"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]It took the battle system of previous games and eliminated random battles, thus making it all more seamless. No hitches. No loading other screens or any of that. That's all it did, really, apart from making it so that we don't have to heal every 30 freaking seconds. Thank God. I do not miss those mindless prepetitive tasks that the gambit system took care offs_metal

Gambits are a godsend dude

Jajajaj ....lol... Maybe, but it really makes you be more out han in :P

Linkz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Linkz0r
but you do admit, the gambits are very helpful, and i do get what you mean when you say your more out than in, because many people might not want to sit there fighting elite marks pressing buttons over and over, when you can just set them to auto, unless the elite mark turns around and says 'NO YOU NOT FUNNY' and sends some god awful move that abolishs your healer and leaves you for dead, which i think we al agree is not the funniest of situations to get yourself into. but all the otherwise gambits ROCK
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 angelbless

but you do admit, the gambits are very helpful, and i do get what you mean when you say your more out than in, because many people might not want to sit there fighting elite marks pressing buttons over and over, when you can just set them to auto, unless the elite mark turns around and says 'NO YOU NOT FUNNY' and sends some god awful move that abolishs your healer and leaves you for dead, which i think we al agree is not the funniest of situations to get yourself into. but all the otherwise gambits ROCKLinkz0r

Indeed, ...lol .. Gambits were a great  adition to the new type of playing in FFXII, nothing to say about that, In the old RPG games you had to be there to press the buttons and to the actions, aunless you had a party of warriors with a TURBo controller :P

SeanN003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 SeanN003
Member since 2007 • 468 Posts

I really don't like the gambits. I agree you participate less... one day they'd probably make a game you could put on auto-pilot and just watch the game play without any strategy.

;l

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 angelbless

I really don't like the gambits. I agree you participate less... one day they'd probably make a game you could put on auto-pilot and just watch the game play without any strategy.

;l

SeanN003

:lol:...;P 

eztarg8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 eztarg8
Member since 2004 • 5813 Posts
[QUOTE="SeanN003"]

;l

angelbless

:lol:...;P 

they do, it's called Final Fantasy XII. I really like the agmbit system, But if you goto a place were there are unlimited emenies, it'll just go on lvling up forever.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 angelbless
Yip thats was an interesting way for leveling up : P or for batlling long dights, you just put your gmabits on and that was all
blademasterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 blademasterx
Member since 2006 • 1305 Posts
your kidding right oblivion is the most tedious game out there(not trying to start war)well thats my opinion.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 angelbless
your kidding right oblivion is the most tedious game out there(not trying to start war)well thats my opinion.
[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Oblivion is playable that long without being tediousblademasterx

Ups, I HAVE to install this game, i have heard too much of it :(  Is it erally tedious ?Ups Darmi is going to get mad i think :P

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Oblivion is playable that long without being tediousblademasterx

I amn not talkign to you ever since you proved yourself to be...shall we say...dull
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 angelbless
Ups Darmi and fs :P
blademasterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blademasterx

OH GOD fs metal shut up i was just stateing a opinion.the comment was not even directed at you jeez.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fs_metal
You quoted me when you said it. You directed it at me
blademasterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blademasterx
NO...im just saying what i think about the game it has nothing to do with you so im just going to end the conversation before it escalate.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 angelbless
Ok guys dont fight :), all of us have different point of views, and just that. It doesnt matter who started anyway, we are some kind of family and we have to try to act like that ok? :)
blademasterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blademasterx
how right you are angelbliss we are some sort of family so thats why i said i'll stop the conversation before it'll escalate to some sort of flameing topic.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fs_metal
You quoted me, thus you were talking to me
blademasterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blademasterx
just because i qouted your comment that does not mean i was talking to you,
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 angelbless
:(
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fs_metal
You even refered to me in your reply.
blademasterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blademasterx
if this is the only way to stop you from harassing me then fine i was talking to you
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 angelbless
OK guys lets go back to topic NOWW!!
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fs_metal
Thank you for admiting it. I am not stupid, and denying it like you did is pointless