REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
Do you think Nintendo will ever face off against ANOTHER competitor, such as Apple or maybe a Sega revival?  Chances are slim right now, but I bet that Apple will enter the industry eventually.... or maybe even Square-Enix.  They have talked about it before.
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 wickerman2004
Member since 2004 • 3878 Posts
not for a while - the industry wouldn't sustain a fourth right now - of course...what the hell do i know? maybe if sony does really bad and ms isn't doing as they thought...maybe someone else would jump in. but that defies logic in a way - jump in when it's doing bad. :|
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
The gaming community can barley support the three Wii have already. It wouldn't make any sense to have another competitor.
JackKrauser04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JackKrauser04
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
Anything's possible. Though... they wont be able to compete regardless.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 REVOLUTIONfreak
you never know..... hmmm...... what to name a new console though?  The ABox?  The Apple?  The SquareCube?
twilight_link9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 twilight_link9
Member since 2006 • 1079 Posts

Wow, Apple on the gaming business? What would you use, the clicking wheel... but seriously, though; I doubt there will be any competitor at all, at least for now, maybe in some 5 or more years, but who knows. Sony or Microsoft might leave the console business (it's not impossible), and other company would come along.

Let's not forget that not all new companies will succeed, like the disastrous Nokia N-Gage.

RadSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 RadSnake
Member since 2006 • 5183 Posts
I think Apple's would be the iSuck, that i seems to go with all their products :lol:
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 BassBoy45
Member since 2006 • 5330 Posts
I think Apple's would be the iSuck, that i seems to go with all their products :lol:RadSnake
Seems a bit biased to me, but everyone has their own opinion... Microsoft kinda popped out of nowhere with the Xbox, another company could easily enter the market at any moment.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Herm never really thought of that. I guess apple or sega could rise up to the challenge but i dont think they will, these days creating and design a console is very difficult and expensive it takes a dediacted section of a business and you could lose it all. I just dont think companies are will to take such a risk when there is so much to lose.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 REVOLUTIONfreak
Id buy that over an Xbox
Dolacide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Dolacide
Member since 2006 • 1758 Posts
If a fourth console was to come on the market I think it would saturate the market, not only do we have 3 home consoles now, but 2 handhelds (that are doing good), plus mobile phone games are really catching on, not to forget the P.C., plus games on websites, there only so much a market can take, and if a 4th did come out, to survive one of the other 3 console makers would have to surrender.
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sufian2
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts
Well in case some of you forgot it will cost at least 100 million to get on board and considering how long it takes to recooperate that kinda investment, the video game market has become very hard to penetrate especially with companies like Microsoft and Sony whom intimidate almost any one in the corporate world. Also keep in mind a console is nothing without full support from the publishers. (Apple would need a long time to prove themselves like any other company trying to break in, the only exception was Microsoft but they are known to be the leading software company in the world so that must of helped.)
JackKrauser04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JackKrauser04
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
[QUOTE="Willdyer10"]Herm never really thought of that. I guess apple or sega could rise up to the challenge but i dont think they will, these days creating and design a console is very difficult and expensive it takes a dediacted section of a business and you could lose it all. I just dont think companies are will to take such a risk when there is so much to lose.

Id buy that over an XboxREVOLUTIONfreak
Lol.
Skypac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skypac
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
I am going to call a few companies out on this one now. Square Enix will have one soon but it will flop. Apple will jump on the bandwagon since microsoft did with the ipood and EA will be in the console hardware business within 10 years.
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BassBoy45
I am going to call a few companies out on this one now. Square Enix will have one soon but it will flop. Apple will jump on the bandwagon since microsoft did with the ipood and EA will be in the console hardware business within 10 years.Skypac
And how will those two do, oh mighty savior? :lol:
shibiovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shibiovski
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts
anyone remember the jaguar?
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts

^ Hmm... I have a console called the Phantom I'd like to sell you. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_%28game_system%29

Skypac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skypac
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
Personally I think they will both fail, I would assume that Square Enix would be more of a success that EA or Apple,
noxus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 noxus9
Member since 2005 • 1020 Posts
Personally I think they will both fail, I would assume that Square Enix would be more of a success that EA or Apple, Skypac
well EA could do well...they have a wide game base
Nolano386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nolano386
Member since 2004 • 774 Posts
bah. Apple, making a gaming console? Lets just have AMD and Intel start making Graphics cards, and Nvidia and ATI making CPU's. Seriously though. An apple gaming console? "New, the iCrap! Fine print: Only compatible with 1% of games" Anyone remember what happened the last time the market got flooded with consoles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983 With all the different architectures, there would be massive support loss, as companies would be forced to choose.
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sufian2
Yeah okay if all those companies are gonna make game consoles then I will rest my alligence with the new GAP console as welll as the ultra cool Burger King console. Are you guys kidding or what none of these companies can make games and Square Enix yeah right they have like 15 different games, are you even understanding the gravity of the investment to enter this market. As I posted earlier it takes 100 million (which none of these companies have to spare btw and with a loan you need double that in intrest) plus you have to wait like 7 years if its a first console to break even sounds awsome ....... sarcasm.
nate64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nate64
Member since 2006 • 325 Posts
well hey has everybody completely forgotten about tiger i could imagine them getting into the business and doing alright maybe. apple no. ea no. square enix no. after quite some time i could see sega coming back.
TheThreeSeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheThreeSeat
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
I dunno. I'd say anything is possible, and there is that "Phantom" system skulking around in the shadows. At the moment I'd say Sega couldn't pull it off, and Apple knows next to nothing about games. Right now I couldn't forsee another system, but perhaps by the time the next generation of systems comes around...who knows?

Ardain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ardain
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

Sega will never go back. The Saturn and the Dreamcast were both a DOOMED systems. Sega is better off not going back to system based console. I can see Magnavox, Sharp, Bose, or Toshiba trying to do such a thing but, of all things Square-Enix would't do such a thing unless there asking to go bankrupt. 

Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Squidward117

Look what I found!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28seventh_generation%29

^ Click around that article. You'll find some interesting things...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts
very interesting article
nightclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 nightclaw
Member since 2005 • 3049 Posts
If there were to be another addition to the industry, I doubt they would sell well. Many people would ignore it and buy what they can trust. The company would have to do something huge to get attention and sales.
Famicomman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Famicomman
Member since 2006 • 2467 Posts

What if Phillips made a game system...

BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BassBoy45

Look what I found!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28seventh_generation%29

Squidward117

What the heck is Mattel???
RadSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RadSnake

Squidward117

was the Phantom ever actually released. I remember hearing talk about it like 5 years ago :?

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts
[QUOTE="Squidward117"]

Look what I found!

BassBoy45

Your kidding right, Mattel is a toy company that make barbies, hot wheels, fisher prices, and other toys & electronics for kids, you can even go into a wal-mart and find many toys maked by them
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Squidward117
[QUOTE="Squidward117"]

RadSnake

was the Phantom ever actually released. I remember hearing talk about it like 5 years ago :?

On August 15, 2006, Phantom Entertainment announced that the Phantom game console will no longer exist, in favor for a client online content delivery system comparable to Valve's Steam.

The system that is sort of replacing the Phantom is the Evo: Phase One Media Center PC, produced by Envizions Computer Entertainment. It was released yesterday for $679.99. It looks pretty good. Basically, it's a game system that plays over 1,600 computer games. Wiki it.

RadSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RadSnake
[QUOTE="RadSnake"][QUOTE="Squidward117"]

Squidward117

On August 15, 2006, Phantom Entertainment announced that the Phantom game console will no longer exist, in favor for a client online content delivery system comparable to Valve's Steam.

The system that is sort of replacing the Phantom is the Evo: Phase One Media Center PC, produced by Envizions Computer Entertainment. It was released yesterday for $679.99. It looks pretty good. Basically, it's a game system that plays over 1,600 computer games. Wiki it.

ok, thanx

I still don't think any other system could compete right now. If a company tried to compete they would be imediantly slapped down by there drunk uncles (Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo)

Famicomman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Famicomman
Member since 2006 • 2467 Posts

Wasn't Tiger supposed to be makeing a handheld called the Gizmodo or something like that?

It was supposed to be a GPS, Media, and Game player.

kryptofreak120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 kryptofreak120
Member since 2005 • 5524 Posts
More than likely...not. Maybe eventually, but not for another couple of years, at least.
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BassBoy45
[QUOTE="BassBoy45"][QUOTE="Squidward117"]

Look what I found!

Serbine

Your kidding right, Mattel is a toy company that make barbies, hot wheels, fisher prices, and other toys & electronics for kids, you can even go into a wal-mart and find many toys maked by them

I'm sorry that I don't buy toys anymore, I'm not 5 years old...
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sufian2
So will it only come in pink. No cmon I don't see anything ever breaking into the market if things stay the way they are. Maybe an arcade style console will work but anything other then that will fail miserablly. It is a shame though because every year profits of the industry rise and becomes more impressive for perspective incesters, but the reality is that the entry barraiers are just to hard to break through.