Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

Read

I always found it odd that the public seems to love this game and idolize it as one of the best racers ever... yet Gamespot gives it a 6.2?  This is definitely a time when people SHOULDN't listen to reviews

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
I some what agree with them. Compared to Mario Kart DS it is lacking in controls. And the fact you can't save ghost is a big let down. It is a good game, but there is no point in getting it unless you don't have it already.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
6.2 is a bit harsh, but I agree with Alex's statements. The controls in Mario Kart 64 are nothing like the newer ones, and I think they're worse than the newer ones aswell (mostly refering to drifting). Just all in all, it was more fun for the N64 and won't appeal to people who have never played it before.
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
I liked the original, but I never really got into as a single player game :(, I wont be downloading it because I have MKDS and for now that is enough for me on Mario Kart.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts

Read

I always found it odd that the public seems to love this game and idolize it as one of the best racers ever... yet Gamespot gives it a 6.2? This is definitely a time when people SHOULDN't listen to reviews

REVOLUTIONfreak
I gonna stand up and say "So far I have agreed with ALL the nintendo Wii reviews, even zelda" and I agree with this one, you shouldn't idolize a game and its defintely not the best racer everFULLSTOP Sorry to be so blunt.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

Read

I always found it odd that the public seems to love this game and idolize it as one of the best racers ever... yet Gamespot gives it a 6.2? This is definitely a time when people SHOULDN't listen to reviews

Willdyer10
I gonna stand up and say "So far I have agreed with ALL the nintendo Wii reviews, even zelda" and I agree with this one, you shouldn't idolize a game and its defintely not the best racer everFULLSTOP Sorry to be so blunt.

Never said it was THE best racer ever, but IMO it stands out as one of my favorite racers mainly because of all the memories I have of playing this game when I was little. He can't compare MK64, a product made 10 years ago, to something new like MKDS. That isn't fair
Gameslayer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Gameslayer3
Member since 2006 • 19915 Posts
i hate it the graphects suc* there are only a couple of chariters (spelling i just dont care) and the tracks are bad. i just like the train one tho
hackR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 hackR2
Member since 2006 • 1658 Posts
I like it, it was good when i played it and it's good now, but if i download it would be only for multiplayer, i already have MKDS, and i really don't feel like it's worth it right now, but it still doesn't deserve that low a score.
Seiryu-617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Seiryu-617
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts

it was a classic game in my opinion, but i still recognize that it could use some improvements. i dont see myself downloading it, just for the fact that i dont need to play the game again like that, but there is a possibility that i could get it. GS does have some questionable review points, but i usually agree with them (although not entirely)

wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 wickerman2004
Member since 2004 • 3878 Posts

whoa....i'm away for a few days and this is the kind of stuff that crops up?? :P

the game is good, it is what it is - i mean this is getting outta hand - bashing old games. are the graphics on todays standards? no - you're a moron if you think it should be.

is mario kart for the DS a more improved version? yes...of course it is...you're a moron if you think it should be the other way around.

can't save ghost data? WTF???? did you bother to read the MANUAL?? it automatically saves this data.

$10 for a classic racer is still a good deal, i mean was anyone expecting a modern racer?? was anyone expecting  anything more than what the game was when it was released?

maybe there's actually alot of ppl that sing the 'oh i play these old games all the time' song and they are just liars...including GS...otherwise they'd know what to expect long beforehand.....

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bededog

whoa....i'm away for a few days and this is the kind of stuff that crops up?? :P

the game is good, it is what it is - i mean this is getting outta hand - bashing old games. are the graphics on todays standards? no - you're a moron if you think it should be.

is mario kart for the DS a more improved version? yes...of course it is...you're a moron if you think it should be the other way around.

can't save ghost data? WTF???? did you bother to read the MANUAL?? it automatically saves this data.

$10 for a classic racer is still a good deal, i mean was anyone expecting a modern racer?? was anyone expecting anything more than what the game was when it was released?

maybe there's actually alot of ppl that sing the 'oh i play these old games all the time' song and they are just liars...including GS...otherwise they'd know what to expect long beforehand.....

wickerman2004

You can't save ghost data in the game. It is because the original used a memory pack to save and Nintendo didn't feel like taking the five minutes needed to fix it. It is Nintendo's fault and honestly the game deserves the rating it got.
Famicomman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Famicomman
Member since 2006 • 2467 Posts
The Mario Kart series is only fun for Multi Player IMO...I would probably only get this game to set up a tournyment like I did back when the fist one came out.
Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts
I didn't play that game much but it could of atleast gotten an 8.8
The_Wall_PG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 The_Wall_PG
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts
MK64, in my mind, still stands as the best MK out there but I must admit nostalgia comes a bit into play for this one. I played it to hell and back in the N64 days and back then I thought GS's review was crap...I still do and I pray that it won't dissuade those new to it from trying it out...
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="wickerman2004"]

$10 for a classic racer is still a good deal, i mean was anyone expecting a modern racer?? was anyone expecting anything more than what the game was when it was released?

bededog

You can't save ghost data in the game. It is because the original used a memory pack to save and Nintendo didn't feel like taking the five minutes needed to fix it. It is Nintendo's fault and honestly the game deserves the rating it got.

I never really liked the ghost feature all that much anyway really....
hackR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 hackR2
Member since 2006 • 1658 Posts
[QUOTE="wickerman2004"]

bededog

Just because the ghost feature isn't available you think is should get that low a rating, that's kind of harsh, i mean 6-8, i would have given it an 7.5 or something

wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 wickerman2004
Member since 2004 • 3878 Posts

Well I owe an apology for being an arse in my post above regarding the ghost save - I thought that because I saw saved data...it saved ghost info as well.

That's what I get I guess.

Sorry if I offened anyone (regarding ghost data).

I myslef could care less about ghost data, it's nice to have - but I don't miss it.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#18 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It is a bit harsh but really it is only really fun in multiplayer. I perfer Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart DD to Mario Kart 64.
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
What does GS have against Mario Kart? It's one of the better multiplayer games out there.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bededog
What does GS have against Mario Kart? It's one of the better multiplayer games out there.Mop_it_up
They don't have anything against Mario Kart. They gave Mario Kart DS a 9.1. The reason it got a low score is because it has no ghost and it doesn't hold up to newer versions of Mario Kart or new games in general. They review VC games for what they are worth based upon today's standards. And Mario Kart didn't make the cut according to them. But if you disagree with the review go ahead and get the game.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="Mop_it_up"]What does GS have against Mario Kart? It's one of the better multiplayer games out there.bededog
They don't have anything against Mario Kart. They gave Mario Kart DS a 9.1. The reason it got a low score is because it has no ghost and it doesn't hold up to newer versions of Mario Kart or new games in general. They review VC games for what they are worth based upon today's standards. And Mario Kart didn't make the cut according to them. But if you disagree with the review go ahead and get the game.

Actually it got a 9.2 :P
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bededog
[QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="Mop_it_up"]What does GS have against Mario Kart? It's one of the better multiplayer games out there.REVOLUTIONfreak

Actually it got a 9.2 :P

Doh! >.
WTH? I can't do > .
And now the word forbidden>
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mop_it_up
[QUOTE="Mop_it_up"]What does GS have against Mario Kart? It's one of the better multiplayer games out there.bededog

This doesn't explain why they gave it the same score 10 years ago. (Ok, so it got a 6.4, but still...)
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
They probably should've just put it on VC, and get it over with...
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 ihateelvis
Member since 2006 • 2380 Posts
Just because a game was popular it doesn't mean it was good. ;)

I used to play that game all the time and I loved it, but I was younger and I didn't come to expect much from a video game like I do now. However, now that I look back I see that Mario Kart simply did not have a lot of content. We have to think about both single player and multiplayer here. Not much to do in single player, but in multiplayer someone always had a good time. However, even your multiplayer options were limited, and so you can't honestly say that it was the best racer ever, or even close.

Of course, those are just my opinions. ;)
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 REVOLUTIONfreak
Just because a game was popular it doesn't mean it was good. ;)

I used to play that game all the time and I loved it, but I was younger and I didn't come to expect much from a video game like I do now. However, now that I look back I see that Mario Kart simply did not have a lot of content. We have to think about both single player and multiplayer here. Not much to do in single player, but in multiplayer someone always had a good time. However, even your multiplayer options were limited, and so you can't honestly say that it was the best racer ever, or even close.

Of course, those are just my opinions. ;)
ihateelvis
I completely agree. When I think back on things MK64 was a great experience when I was a kid, because I didn't have standards and I didn't know what to expect.... I just wanted to have fun. Now I seem to analyze the games I play more, and I expect more for my money.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#27 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It is a popular title but that does not mean it is good. The only really good thing about it is the multiplayer. When I played Super Mario Kart on the SNES that seemed a way better game than Mario Kart 64.
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mop_it_up
I'm just biased. I give every game on the N64 a perfect 10. But in reality, every game can't be the best game ever. Such is life. :(

What about Diddy Kong Racing? Don't you think it should have gotting at least a 7.5? (It got 6.6)