deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Lately, I've been thinking about who I want to date and ultimately marry. I've come to the conclusion that I can't date a a religious person. If her religion is the primary focus of her life, then she will only give to me hand-me-downs of what she'll give her God. If she is somewhat religious, but not religious enough to warrant her primary focus, she is a fraud in my opinion and should give up the act completely. Lately, I've had an emotional attraction to religious women. I've been trying to shun that, but my emotion is still prevailing over my logic. I have to accept the fact that only a nonreligious woman is good enough for me. This will be difficult considering I'm very pro-life and I would only want a woman who is also pro-life, making it even harder for me to find the right woman.

I was wondering what is your limit as to how religious a person can be in order for you to date. Also, how would you rate atheist men and women in terms of attraction? I personally find atheist women somewhat less attractive than some religious women, but I find atheist men as attractive as religious men.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
How are we defining "very religious"?
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856

How are we defining "very religious"?GabuEx

I would define a very religious person as someone whose religion is the primary focus of her life.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

If shes hot then why not?

Now if you ask me "will I marry a very religious person?" then the answer is "no chance in hell".

I can marry a somewhat religious person but not a very religious one. Obviously the ideal is a non-religious person but I live in a religious culture so I have to dream realistically.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]How are we defining "very religious"?Genetic_Code

I would define a very religious person as someone whose religion is the primary focus of her life.

Well someone whose religion is the primary focus of her life can be manifest in many different ways.  Does it compel her to give to charity?  To pray every hour?  To treat others as Jesus treated them?  To go to church every day?  Just knowing that her religion is the primary focus of her life doesn't give that much information. Their respective religions were/are the primary focus of both Pope John Paul II and Fred Phelps.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856

If shes hot then why not?

Gambler_3

It's highly unlikely she would agree to sleep with you because of her religion. The only real benefit her appearance can provide is eye and arm candy. I doubt many people on this board want to get married, which is why I phrased the question in terms of dating. I might date a religious person to see if the shoe fits, but I do not plan on marrying her unless I can get over that barrier. However, I know that logically that barrier exists for a really good reason. We shouldn't be with each other if we have different religious beliefs.

Well someone whose religion is the primary focus of her life can be manifest in many different ways.  Does it compel her to give to charity?  To pray every hour?  To treat others as Jesus treated them?  To go to church every day?  Just knowing that her religion is the primary focus of her life doesn't give that much information. Religion is the primary focus of both Pope John Paul II and Fred Phelps.

GabuEx

Yes, there are different religions and different interpretations, it still doesn't change the fact that a religious person cares more about her religion than herself or her husband.

Christianity's a perfect example of this. As you are well aware, Luke 14:26 says, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren,and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." This means that Jesus wants to let go of our family and ourselves in order to be his disciple. That is simply something I cannot do unless of course there was an actual heaven to sacrifice your family and yourself for.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

You'll be surprised how many burqa wearing women in pakistan do pre-marital sex. Most people's beliefs are not strong enough to resist the power of love and serious lust. Infact I would love to go in the bed of a very protective hot religious women. Doing it after doing alot of effort to convince her would be something you are never gonna enjoy with a liberal women.

Unfortunately my morals dont letme do any false commitments to women so I'll prolly never be sleeping with a very religious women but it is possible before marriage if you are willing to lie...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Depends on what religion it is, and how much of a literalist they are. If they believe the Bible is absolutely true as a history book, and that all the events in it actually occurred, supernatural or no; I would have a definite conflict of interest and probably find that person exceptionally unattractive.

Of course, if that person only believes in the religion because they "know" it is true in their heart and mind, but don't push it onto anyone else and realize it is merely an emic position (that it is true to them psychologically) then I wouldn't have any problems with it. And honestly, as a religious studies scholar, who is interested in mystical experience, I would find her experiences quite enthralling.

My girlfriend was very religious for most of her life (I'm pretty sure merely out of an appeal to tradition), but lost her faith a few years ago... and she doesn't have much interest in religion, but she knows I do, and supports me in whatever I may ask her. I don't pressure her to share her experiences because it is a touchy subject, but I think she'll come around eventually.
Anovikaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Anovikaj
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Whoever I date can't be religious at all. I'm just not willing to deal with it on any level.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GabuEx

Yes, there are different religions and different interpretations, it still doesn't change the fact that a religious person cares more about her religion than herself or her husband.

Christianity's a perfect example of this. As you are well aware, Luke 14:26 says, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren,and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." This means that Jesus wants to let go of our family and ourselves in order to be his disciple. That is simply something I cannot do unless of course there was an actual heaven to sacrifice your family and yourself for.

Genetic_Code

But that still doesn't answer the question regarding in what way she cares about her religion above anything else.

If it makes her want to force me to go along with tons of rituals like going to church, praying all the time, and so forth, then that would be an obvious deal-breaker.

If it makes her want nothing more than to be like Jesus and do charitable work, I'd probably happily do it with her.

The quality of being "very religious" seems very ill-defined in terms of the actual relevant qualities it implies about a person and the way in which they interact with you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a79221380856

But that still doesn't answer the question regarding in what way she cares about her religion above anything else.

If it makes her want to force me to go along with tons of rituals like going to church, praying all the time, and so forth, then that would be an obvious deal-breaker.

If it makes her want nothing more than to be like Jesus and do charitable work, I'd probably happily do it with her.

The quality of being "very religious" seems very ill-defined in terms of the actual relevant qualities it implies about a person and the way in which they interact with you.

GabuEx

The reason why in what way will she act cannot be determined is because there are a variety of religions, a variety of denominations, and a variety of interpretations. However, you can determine if someone's a fraud by how accurately they portray their religion and how they live it. That's why I wouldn't want to date a semireligious person, because they're living a half-lie. I wouldn't even date a person who believes in God but is not religious anyway, because just to believe in God means that you have to give yourself up for him. If God is the most powerful being of the universe, he demands to be worshiped.

Even if I were to accept someone's religious beliefs as "just their opinion" and date them because I love them, no matter how irrational it may be to love them, I wouldn't want my wife to go to church all by herself. Now, I do not know if the Bible says anything requiring someone to go to church. Joshua 24:15 says, "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." See, if I were a Christian or a Jew, I would want someone would serves the same Abrahamic God as I do and I would want to raise children that serve the Abrahamic God because the Bible tells me to. As such, instances in which we worship God, which would be in church, I would have to have the whole family come with me. When you think about it, attending church is not an individual experience. It is an experience for the entire family. It's suited for that reason. See, the ultimate reason why I wouldn't date a Christian wife, whether very religious or semi-religious, is because I would feel that I would have to be obligated to attend church with her and the children, if she decides to take them along. Now, I used a Christian wife as an example, but I'm sure you can find similar sentiments in many other faiths, particularly the Abrahamic ones.

Furthermore, my naturalism is what appeals to me and what makes me search for ethical insights on how to live my life. I do not reject religion because it's simply uncomfortable to me. I reject religion because it's dogmatic and no way to life your life. If I want my naturalism to be a part of every experience of my life, then I would only expect the same for someone who I chose to share my life with.

Ayn Rand said it perfectly, "A man's sexual choice is the result and the sum of his fundamental convictions. Tell me what a man finds sexually attractive and I will tell you his entire philosophy of life." If I were to date a religious person, I would simply be a wolf in sheep's clothing for sleeping with the enemy. An atheist who sleeps with a theist does not value his atheism. In fact, it wouldn't be hard to convince this man that there is a God if he's so willing to sacrifice his ideals for pleasure. It's too easy to sell your soul, but to keep it is a much harder task.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Heh, just two days ago I told a girl who liked me that I will always have Jesus as my priority and if that is not the case with her, then we can simply not have a serious relationship.  I refuse to be in a situation where I must choose between God and a girl, I'd much rather remain single or find a girl who also prioritizes Christ in her life.  In other words, I have the opposite problem. :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Like GabuEx said, depends on what way they are very religious.

If they are very religious as in, they follow every bit of the Bible then no I wouldnt (well obviously since he himself would be a closeted and celibate homosexual).

If they are very religious as in, they feel very strongly about those parts of the Bible they follow then I probably wouldnt have a problem but from there it would also depend which parts of the Bible they follow.

But like I have said in the past I would love to date a generally religious person. It would help me to provide a counterweight for my own mindset.

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

I'm rather glad this topic came up, as I have been thinking about it the last couple days, what with going back to school and all. It's rather difficult to find any non-religious girls in the middle of Texas. :P Of the two atheist girls I do know (the only two I know of at all in my high school) one I don't care for and the other is a friend but not an attraction.

I do not think it would be possible for me to be in a serious relationship with a religious person. Atheism, although in itself not a philosophy or lifestyle, has a big effect on how I think and how I act in my life. Philosophy and psychology are things I am hugely interested in, and I would love to discuss with people close to me, and have them form an understanding as well. My views on both subjects are influenced by the lack of gods in my reality.

I'm not sure Icould ultimately relate to a religious person.

Really the only option I have to consider is a single one of my attractions, who states she doesn't really care about religion. But simply not caring about a subject I have invested many weeks into might not be the best relation. :/ She might change, however.

I'd like to have friends more apt to discuss things with and just forget all this relationship baloney. :)

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts

It's possible. I would ask her some questions on our dates to see how dogmatic she is. Her faith wouldn't bother me as long as she gave me some breathing room. I would not agree to convert or to let my child be indoctrinated. I suspect that it would be an uphill battle to try and get her family comfortable with me, but I'm confident that I could open their minds if I am patient.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I have dated religious people, but I married an atheist. I dated a Christian woman for 5 years.

Dating people is a means of interacting with others and finding out about yourself. Why impose any limits?

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Generally I guess I could date someone who's deeply religious as long as she can justify it well enough and can accept my views for what they are. It would depend on how her faith affected her everyday life though.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I doubt any religious person would date, but sure, why not? :P
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I doubt any religious person would date, but sure, why not? :Pghoklebutter

It probably would be hard to date some Islamic women, on account of what they wear and the strength of the faith that discourages trans-faith dating. Having said that, I did have the good fortune to get to know a hijab-wearing colleague, while driving her to a regular weekly seminar during my teacher training year.

We did get to know each other well and still keep in occasional touch. We spent the car journey discussing our lives, beliefs and outlooks - as well as our teaching progress and the nature of school-children. I found the Islamic stuff totally fascinating. I remember her lending me a book on "science as foretold in the Quran", which I read feverishly. I also remember her grace in my rationalising of the dodgy inductive reasoning used in that book and my espousing the benefits of democracy in general.

I also came to appreciate the difficulty there is living in one culture while operating in another one. The cohesion of families and communities in upholding religious views is so hard to escape. Perhaps it was my atheist infidel corruption, but she always used our trips as a chance to smoke cigs in the car while openingly discussing our personal, religious and professional views.