Which Of These Would You Choose In A Hypothetical Situation? (Poll)

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

OK, now this is a purely hypothetical situation.

If you 'had' to choose one of the options above, what would it be? 

Please Vote. :D 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Christianity. I think I'd be one of those liberal Christians whom your union doesn't like very much. :P
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Good question.

Christianity -- it is the least absurd option there, and just as so happens that atheism is less absurn than that.

7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
Although I have an islamic background I'd choose christianity while still retaining my atheistic standpoint on the inside...
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Hinduism seems pretty cool from what little I've read about it. I'll go with that.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Funky_Llama
Hinduism seems pretty cool from what little I've read about it. I'll go with that.Genetic_Code
Too many Gods to remember. :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a79221380856

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]Hinduism seems pretty cool from what little I've read about it. I'll go with that.Funky_Llama

I'm still reading up on it, but apparently you can be an atheist and Hindu at the same time. 

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]Hinduism seems pretty cool from what little I've read about it. I'll go with that.Genetic_Code

I'm still reading up on it, but apparently you can be an atheist and Hindu at the same time. 

Or, like Ghandi, you could be a Hindu, a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856

Or, like Ghandi, you could be a Hindu, a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew. 

Lansdowne5

But you'd have to reinterpet passages that promote exclusiveness, which technically would be self-defeating. 

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Genetic_Code

But you'd have to reinterpet passages that promote inclusiveness, which technically would be self-defeating. 

Exactly. It would be pointless. :) 

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
A very liberal Christian.  I was raised Christian, and in my readings of other religions there is nothing that would make me choose them over Christianity.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
Sikhism, just to be different. You know, since I'm in a hypothetical situation where I'm required to choose a religion for some reason.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lansdowne5

Sikhism, just to be different. You know, since I'm in a hypothetical situation where I'm required to choose a religion for some reason.gbpman630

Could I inquire as to why you would prefer to follow Sikhism than any of the other options?

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

Of those I'd pick Hinduism since it seems to most interesting and has reincarnation instead of an afterlife. Unless I'm mistaken, it also stresses belief in the gods much less than other religions.

However, out of any religion I'd pick Buddhism since it's more philosophy than religion. It also has reincarnation and (again, correct me if I'm wrong) the gods only exist for the creation story and belief in then isn't necessary for a good next life. As someone above said (Genetic_Code I believe, I didn't go straight to replying from looking at the thread), it's possible to be a Hindu/Buddhist and an atheist at the same time. Just seems the most compatible with by beliefs.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lansdowne5

Of those I'd pick Hinduism since it seems to most interesting and has reincarnation instead of an afterlife. Unless I'm mistaken, it also stresses belief in the gods much less than other religions.

However, out of any religion I'd pick Buddhism since it's more philosophy than religion. It also has reincarnation and (again, correct me if I'm wrong) the gods only exist for the creation story and belief in then isn't necessary for a good next life. As someone above said (Genetic_Code I believe, I didn't go straight to replying from looking at the thread), it's possible to be a Hindu/Buddhist and an atheist at the same time. Just seems the most compatible with by beliefs.

AlternatingCaps

The reason I chose not to include Buddhism in the options was for the very reason you stated - it's more philosophy than religion. :) 

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Probably Christian since that's how I was raised. And also because I don't want to give up Pork/Booze/Beef which Judaism/Islam/Hinduism would force me to give up.

And I don't know enough about Sikhism to have a real opinion on it.

cowboymonkey21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cowboymonkey21
Member since 2007 • 5297 Posts
I would choose Buddishim, but you didn't include that on your list so Christianity.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

What?! No love for Buddhism, Lans?!

:P Haha, I saw your explanation, so no need to reply to that.

In any case, interesting thread! I'd say that I'd probably go with Buddhism, but since that's not an option, I guess Hinduism since it seems fairly interesting from the small bit of knowledge that I have of it.

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

And I don't know enough about Sikhism to have a real opinion on it.

TenP

Sikhism advocates the pursuit of salvation through disciplined, personal meditation on the name and message of God. A key distinctive feature of Sikhism is a non-anthropomorphic concept of God, to the extent that one can interpret God as the Universe itself. The followers of Sikhism are ordained to follow the teachings of the ten Sikh gurus, or enlightened leaders, as well as the holy scripture entitled the Gurū Granth Sāhib, which, along with the writings of six of the ten Sikh Gurus, includes selected works of many devotees from diverse socio-economic and religious backgrounds.

Wikipedia

Plus the symbol is a sword, which is often represented by a necklace, so you'd get to walk around with a sword. Canada had an issue a while back with people doing so, but they couldn't infringe on their freedom of religion, so the law is that it has to be welded inside a sheath (I believe that's what it's called, the thing that the sword goes in).

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Christianity because its the dominant religion in my country and of my race and because I know the most about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5a79221380856
I personally think a philosophy that has a belief in reincarnation should be considered a religion. Sikhism seems cool too. Of the Western religions, I prefer either Judaism or Christianity. I'll probably go with Christianity, because I like some of the New Testament teachings. Islam doesn't seem preferable, but it could be the perversion of Islam that exists in the Middle East of which I seem confused with.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lansdowne5

I personally think a philosophy that has a belief in reincarnation should be considered a religion. Sikhism seems cool too. Of the Western religions, I prefer either Judaism or Christianity. I'll probably go with Christianity, because I like some of the New Testament teachings. Islam doesn't seem preferable, but it could be the perversion of Islam that exists in the Middle East of which I seem confused with.Genetic_Code

I agree that 'technically' Budhism should be considered a religion. But I considered it less religious than any of the other five so I didn't include it. 

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Well, Buddhism does contain aspects of the supernatural, so technically it is a religion.

Howver, I wouldn't personally refer to something like, say Confucianism as a religion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Christianity or judaism, minus the circumsision.
felixlynch777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 felixlynch777
Member since 2008 • 1787 Posts
Hinduism. I like the Eastern religions (especially Buddhism) because they are more about peace of mind than telling you every little thing you can and can't do. I have too admit if I had to choose a religion it would be buddhism. It is already quite atheistic as it is.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I would choose Tolkienism. :P (In the poll though I chose Christianity out of habit)

Honestly "Tolkienism" (if that's a word :P I'm referring to his cosmology and world genesis in the Silmarillion) is very interesting and can teach many things through its allegory.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lansdowne5
These results are certainly interesting. Out of the three Abrahamic religions, Christianity got 100% of the votes. And I was surprised to see Hinduism got 29% overall. :D
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I would be a Buddhist. Pretty much a third of the people around me follow that religion.
Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
Hinduism, because polytheism's diversity is a far more interesting thing to worship than one god. I mean look at the ancient Greek mythos.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

No Buddhism. :(

Out of those probably Islam because I've already tried being a Christian and the Qur'an seems like a pretty nice book. I would be a liberal muslim though of course.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lansdowne5

It's odd that many of you atheists, whose belief is built on logic, reason and the observation/study of reality in the natural world, would choose Eastern religions. 

Below are six points you may not know about what the majority of Eastern religions (Hinduism, Budhism, etc), being pantheistic, entail:

1. Intellectual knowledge or logic has no actual place or reality.

2. Elemental matter has virtually no reality or being.

3. Annihilation must be done of all thought, logic, knowledge and self-awareness. Furthermore, a person's theology or conceptual beliefs are of no importance.

4. Annihilation of all self-existence, thinking and desires must be done before one can truly be set free of the cycle of suffering. 

5. Ethics do not exist, and there is no absolute or unchanging basis for what is really right or wrong. 

6. History is meaningless, because all distinct "things," - events and time, are just an illusion.

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts

That certainly isn't Buddhism. Buddhism follows almost none of those tenets. Also, just because it follows those tenets doesn't mean a religion is pantheistic.

Buddhism is more an atheistic philosophy, really. Unless we're talking about Japanese Buddhism, in which it's more polytheistic.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lansdowne5

That certainly isn't Buddhism. Buddhism follows almost none of those tenets. Also, just because it follows those tenets doesn't mean a religion is pantheistic.

Buddhism is more an atheistic philosophy, really. Unless we're talking about Japanese Buddhism, in which it's more polytheistic.

Strategist1117

Yes it is, and if Buddhism doesn't entail those beliefs, then it isn't buddhism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism ;)

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Strategist1117"]

Lansdowne5

Yes it is, and if Buddhism doesn't entail those beliefs, then it isn't buddhism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism ;)

Show me a source for Buddhism being ethically nihilistic.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Strategist1117"]

Funky_Llama

Show me a source for Buddhism being ethically nihilistic.

OK. Buddhism doesn't explicitly entail nihilism. 

However, the similarities between the teachings of Buddhism, and nihilism are extremely close. :)

Strategist1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Strategist1117
Member since 2006 • 5954 Posts
No they aren't. Buddhism simply calls for people to detach themselves from their desires to achieve Nirvana. Basically, all it says is to be benevolent, work hard, and to not care whether things go your way or not. Which I'm sure you'll agree is markedly different than nihilistic philosophies.