btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#2 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I picked the top one.  I don't believe in God, and yes that makes it a conscious decision, but my mind is open enough that it may change at some time, however small that possibility is.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Where's the option for "two of the above"? :P Atheism is the state in which one does not believe in God, and presumably that would carry with it a rejection in any particular religious doctrine, too.

I would not call it a conscious decision; there is nothing conscious about reaching a philosophical conclusion. People will believe what appears to make sense and will not believe what doesn't; a person does not wake up in the morning and say, "Today, I am going to not believe in God."

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Lack of belief in God.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I hope it was just Lansdowne who voted for number two because that answer seems like a bit of an attempt to pull the "atheists know that God exists they are just in rebellion" or whatever.

For me it's

weak atheism=I don't believe that God exists. ie the lack of a positive belief

strong atheism=I believe that God doesn't exist. ie the positive belief about the lack of God

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

By definition it could be either of the first two.

a·the·ist   var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "15", "", "6"); interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high"); interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t"); interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictionary%2Faudio%2Fahd4%2FA%2FA0495300.mp3"); interfaceflash.write();

(ā'thē-ĭst) 
n.   One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

I personally just use the first option, because the second option is also already included by it.  Restating it is pleonasm.  Even though I completely agree with the explanation above me that a person really can't choose to just believe or not believe.  There are obviously some people, like many of us and certainly myself, that do put the extra time into it and treat it as an important subject.  I think that does make me a bit different from the atheist that just never really cared to delve into it, but ultimately I think we fall under the same umbrella.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GabuEx

By definition it could be either of the first two.Sitri_

I would agree were it not for the presence of the word "conscious" in the second option. I don't believe that there's anything conscious about one's religious beliefs; that's like saying that one chooses one's beliefs as one chooses one's clothes to wear for the day.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sitri_

I would agree were it not for the presence of the word "conscious" in the second option. I don't believe that there's anything conscious about one's religious beliefs; that's like saying that one chooses one's beliefs as one chooses one's clothes to wear for the day.

GabuEx

Yeah I tried to edit out all that extra crap on my post but edit and delete isn't an option for me for that post.........

I don't think that conscious is a good word either, but I do think there is some difference between someone who really looks into and cares about the subject and someone who doesn't care or give it thought.  I thought that difference was what the OP was getting at.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
I picked all of above. I don't believe in god and I have so many reasons why he aint real. And now I am telling all the god believers that it is a waste of time to believe in god.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Atheism is not believing in God, or rather believing that God categorically does not exist.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

I'd say the first one, lack of belief in a god. Actually, I probably should have picked "none of the above," since atheism in its broadest sense (and the one I use it in) is lack of belief in any god, whereas Lans typed "God," referring to the Abrahamic god.

I actually have a couple of questions of my own regarding the topic. I believe that there is no evidence to indicate the existence of any god, nor any reason to believe in one. However, not being omniscient, I'm not going to go out and say "there are no gods." I'd say there probably aren't, but I won't go all the way. Therefore, I'd describe myself as a weak atheist.

My questions are:

Am I correct in classifying myself this way, or would one use a different term to describe my beliefs?

What's the difference between weak atheism and agnosticism? I've explained it to some of my friends who care more about school work and Gears of War than outside intellectual pursuits (IE "normal" teenagers) as "weak atheism is no reason or evidence to believe in any god, but takes a "we'll wait and see" stance toward the actual truth. Agnosticism is 50/50." I'm not entirely sure that I wasn't misleading them.

Also, agnostic means undecided in a more general sense too, right? (As far as choosing a college goes, I'm totally agnostic) If not, I've been misusing it quite a bit :P

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

What's the difference between weak atheism and agnosticism? I've explained it to some of my friends who care more about school work and Gears of War than outside intellectual pursuits (IE "normal" teenagers) as "weak atheism is no reason or evidence to believe in any god, but takes a "we'll wait and see" stance toward the actual truth. Agnosticism is 50/50." I'm not entirely sure that I wasn't misleading them.

Also, agnostic means undecided in a more general sense too, right? (As far as choosing a college goes, I'm totally agnostic) If not, I've been misusing it quite a bit :P

AlternatingCaps

The dictionary defines "agnostic" as follows:

"A person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

So, basically, a weak atheist is someone who thinks there probably isn't a God, but is not certain of that, whereas a pure agnostic is someone who believes that the existence of God is ultimately simply unknowable, and will refuse to commit either way, as a result.

That said, however, if "agnostic" is used as an adjective rather than as a noun, a "weak atheist" could also be referred to as an "agnostic atheist" - that is, an atheist who also asserts the uncertainty of his or her claim of atheism.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx
Also, I'm afraid to say that calling oneself agnostic about choosing a college is indeed a misuse of the word. :P Agnostic can be broken down into "a" + "gnostic" - that is to say, "without" + "certainty in knowledge". Someone who is agnostic on something believes that it is impossible to have any certain knowledge about whatever it is. I believe that what you mean by that is to simply say that you haven't made up your mind yet, which is not what it means to be an agnostic - an agnostic is someone who believes that it is impossible to know something for sure.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Technically, the first answer is correct. The concious decision to not believe in god is what I would say is the definition of Atheism.
ShowStopper102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShowStopper102
Member since 2007 • 12382 Posts
Though I am not an Athiest, I picked the Second Option.
Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sitri_

Though I am not an Athiest, I picked the Second Option.ShowStopper102

Why don't you think the first one works?

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

The dictionary defines "agnostic" as follows:

"A person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

So, basically, a weak atheist is someone who thinks there probably isn't a God, but is not certain of that, whereas a pure agnostic is someone who believes that the existence of God is ultimately simply unknowable, and will refuse to commit either way, as a result.

That said, however, if "agnostic" is used as an adjective rather than as a noun, a "weak atheist" could also be referred to as an "agnostic atheist" - that is, an atheist who also asserts the uncertainty of his or her claim of atheism.

GabuEx

Ah, thanks. That cleared it up quite a bit. So, I guess I am right in describing myself as a "probably not" weak atheist.

That's a shame about the agnostic thing though. Here I was thinking I was so smart tossing that word around. I'll do that a lot though, use a word in an unusual context with a friend. Then he'll doubt me and I'll pull out my iPhone. About 80% of the time I'll end up being correct or not far off. For instance, I once told him that I speak French with more 'facility' than the most of the rest of my class.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

Sitri_

This has come up before.  The Bible basically says that everyone actually believes in God; it's just that some people reject him out of spite.  Thus, people tend to approach non-Christians not as non-believers, but as people who believe in God but hate him.

To be honest it's easily one of the most annoying things ever. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Technically, the first answer is correct. The concious decision to not believe in god is what I would say is the definition of Atheism.helium_flash

That's the second answer.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Sitri_"]

GabuEx

This has come up before.  The Bible basically says that everyone actually believes in God; it's just that some people reject him out of spite.  Thus, people tend to approach non-Christians not as non-believers, but as people who believe in God but hate him.

Ugh, you can say that again. U_U
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
The first one. The lack of belief of a God.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

. . . . that answer seems like a bit of an attempt to pull the "atheists know that God exists they are just in rebellion" or whatever . . . .

domatron23

Nope. It really wasn't. :) 

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]Technically, the first answer is correct. The concious decision to not believe in god is what I would say is the definition of Atheism.domatron23

That's the second answer.

Yes I didn't word myself correctly. I chose the second answer, but I figure the first answer is what would be the literally correct answer.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 helium_flash
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="Sitri_"]

Funky_Llama

Ugh, you can say that again. U_U

Yeah it is a load of crap. I just finished a book (as detailed in my blog :P) based around religion in Scandinavia. Some of the people there had never even contemplated the belief in God or gods, which would seem absurd to most of us. How can someone not ask "Is there a god?" Well, some people in Denmark never did.

It proves that religion isn't as natural as we thought. Once supplied concrete info (such as evolution, big bang theory, ect), they didn't even have to ask about "Does God exist?", because the answer was obvious to them.