What are your thoughts on interfaith relationships?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Considering that I live in an area highly concentrated with Christians, I've considered the prospect of interfaith relationships. Interfaith relationships are relationships between two people of different faiths. Technically, I don't belong to a faith in the sense that faith is traditionally defined in a religioius sense. Still, the concept would operate just the same if I wanted to go out with someone that was religious.

I would still prefer to date a naturalist, but the chances that I will find one that I like are slim, especially given their pro-choice/anti-fetus bent. I did some light reading on interfaith marriages and found that they have a host of problems, which I'm sure you can imagine. However, I couldn't find any substantial data that these differences in beliefs ever matter when it comes to love. I'm sure that when two people love each other, religion wouldn't matter, but I'm ignoring the fact that religion isn't like a disagreement over a hobby, such as shopping. Whereas shopping for most people does not deal with the final destination of our souls, religion does.

A person who wants God to be the crux of the relationship simply isn't compatible with an atheist. An atheist who thinks religion is absolutely evil probably isn't suited for a religious person. However, I do think that if two people are willing to compromise or if they make their religion or hatred of religion secondary to their relationship, then it can work. However, if I were religious, I can't imagine ever considering the idea of dating someone of a different religion than me.

As such, I think I should be as selective in my mating choices as a nonreligious naturalist. The simple fact is though that I am a very unusual person and it would be very rare to find someone like me. At the same time, I don't think I can deal with someone compromising their religion. In my mind, that makes them weak. I guess I'll have to see how it plays out. I'll try not worrying about it until then. My final opinion is that I'm generally against interfaith marriage. It's best if a couple can be of the same faith.

What's your opinion?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
As long as both partners are willing to make compromises for the sake of love, it most always will work out in the end. I still remember when I first started dating my girlfriend, we went to see her old pastor in her old town for the sake of her mother (who wanted us to see him, as she is very much religious and finds my non-theism to be quite offensive); he said that the "purpose" of relationships was to please God and there "must" be "more" to a relationship than "just love." I remained respectful during the discussion, but both my girlfriend and I laughed afterwards at that comment. Love should be enough, a real "God" wouldn't care that we praise Him every day and thank him for being there for us.

My girlfriend was raised in an evangelical Mennonite community, and after being dumped a week before getting married to an a-hole (a few years ago) she lost most of her faith, which I am quite happy about. I doubt I would have fallen in love with her had she been as religious as she was before that. I have nothing wrong with people of faith, but they have to be respectful and understand that there is no "right" religion and everyone is entitled to believe what they want. I am glad she has always been like that, even while being brainwashed by an incredibly oppressive community (where most high school graduates end up getting pregnant a few months after graduating high school, and then married shortly later).

Love is a beautiful thing, and doesn't need religion to flourish. Whether it is a gift of the gods or merely a biological process, it requires plenty of work, patience, compromise and most importantly, compassion if it is to work.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts
I would never date a mormon or jehovah's witness. My opinions would drive them up the wall and the girl's parents would try to convert me. The girl and her family would be ex-communicated if she was planning to marry me. Other than those two cults, I would be alright with a girl who followed a dogma as long as she respected my space and didn't believe that I'm Satan reincarnated. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The extent to which interfaith marriages can work is generally inversely proportional to the extent to which either member of the relationship believes that everyone who disagrees is going to burn for all eternity in hell. :P

I have nothing to say against interfaith marriages, provided both people are happy.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I'm all for interfaith relationships but I can understand how the differences in religion (or irreligion) could become an issue, particularly with how some religions specifically condemn such things *cough2Corinthians6:14splutter*.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I dont think much of them.

Personally I would like it if I was a partner of someone who is a -hypocrite moderate- Christian and show me reasons (not reasons as in arguments) to change my desposition towards it. I am fully aware of course that that would be a stupid reason to return to religion but I dont care.

Also, personally, I am happy when I see interfaith/interracial/inter-etc marriages/relationships work. Theres nothing more remarkable than seeing two people put aside their -trivial for an intimate relationship imo- differences and be happy together.

[spoiler] Btw I am just kidding about the "hypocrite moderate" part. I am just jabbing at gambler. :P [/spoiler]

chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
i can only guess most of these would probably end badly, but if there is a connection then religion shouldn't matter although it may be a source of tension
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#8 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

This really is something that I think about all the time because I will have to encounter it almost certainly. I do plan to try to go to UK for my final studies but I really find it too big a compromise to marry someone who doesnt speak my native language so hoping to hook up with some non-religious women in england is not really something I am sure about.

The problem with me is that I cant reveal that I am an atheist or I may never get married.:lol:

I can compromise for love but there are few things which is simply a no-no. She shouldnt wear the burka, shouldnt be constantly asking me to offer prayers and all. Now comes the huge problem, I dont want my children to have any religion, I dont want them to be offering prayers being a 10 year old and all. This is something which no religious person would accept I think...

Btw I am just kidding about the "hypocrite moderate" part. I am just jabbing at gambler. :P

Teenaged
I realised that as soon as I got to the "hypocrite moderate" part.:lol:

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Interfaith relationships are sadly restricted due to religious customs. Why should religious differences get in the way of a relationship?
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

The extent to which interfaith marriages can work is generally inversely proportional to the extent to which either member of the relationship believes that everyone who disagrees is going to burn for all eternity in hell. :P

I have nothing to say against interfaith marriages, provided both people are happy.

GabuEx

*head explodes*

I'll just say I agree with whatever you said.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

GabuEx
Good point. :D I'd say that whether an interfaith relationship will work out or not depends on what the people involved think is more important, their relationship or their faith. If it's the former it's like any other obstacle to over-come... if it's the latter on the other hand, they're screwed (in the bad, non-relationship-enhancing way).
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
As most know I'm an Atheist married to a Christian (raised Catholic).  It's really not an issue, I go to church because it makes her happy and I and she wants the kids to at least learn about the Christian religion. By the same token, with our 15 year old I'm challenging him to think more and more the older he gets.  As well as trying to teach him about other religions.  As he gets older, he'll learn more of what I think and believe.  Now the twins, just being 3, I'll probably follow the same route I did with our son.  With my wife and I it just doesn't come up much, I know she wants me to believe and "go to heaven with my family", and well, I want her to think of things from my point of view.  (I almost worded that where I'd have gotten into trouble :p)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

some religions specifically condemn such things *cough2Corinthians6:14splutter*.domatron23

Not to derail the thread, but 2 Corinthians 6:14 is one of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible, due in large part to the use of the now-basically-antiquated word "yoke" in many Bibles.  In its literal sense, a yoke is a device to join together two animals; in its figurative sense, a yoke is an agent of oppression, or of forced servitude.  2 Corinthians 6:14 is basically instructing believers to follow Christ and Christ alone, and not to allow themselves to be bound by the stringent rules that other faiths would force them into.

...Which is kind of ironic considering how rule-based Christianity has evolved to be, but I digress.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"]some religions specifically condemn such things *cough2Corinthians6:14splutter*.GabuEx

Not to derail the thread, but 2 Corinthians 6:14 is one of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible, due in large part to the use of the now-basically-antiquated word "yoke" in many Bibles.  In its literal sense, a yoke is a device to join together two animals; in its figurative sense, a yoke is an agent of oppression, or of forced servitude.  2 Corinthians 6:14 is basically instructing believers to follow Christ and Christ alone, and not to allow themselves to be bound by the stringent rules that other faiths would force them into.

...Which is kind of ironic considering how rule-based Christianity has evolved to be, but I digress.

Well yes I agree. But the instruction that you should not be bound by the dogma of another religion involves not being yoked with, not being in fellowship with and not being in harmony with unbelievers. That seems to specifically include not getting into a relationship with or marrying a non-Christian.

In short your interpretation of what is meant by "yoke" doesn't alter the fact that the verse condemns interfaith relationships.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gambler_3

Interfaith relationships are sadly restricted due to religious customs. Why should religious differences get in the way of a relationship?ghoklebutter
You do know that allah condemns you to marry a polytheist or an athiest?

Hypocrite moderate am confirmed?

:P 

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Interfaith relationships are sadly restricted due to religious customs. Why should religious differences get in the way of a relationship?Gambler_3

I do have conflicting beliefs, but I wouldn't say I'm a hypocrite moderate.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChiliDragon
The way I see it, any ban on interfaith relationships that is a few thousand years old, is fair game for reinterpretation. When Paul wrote that particular verse for example, was during a time when Christianity was not a legally permitted religion in the Roman Empire, as they refused to acknowledge the divine nature of the emperor. The Jews got away with it, thanks to an understanding emperor some time back, but by breaking off from Judaism the newly founded sect was breaking the law when they would not sacrifice to the emperor, and eventually persecution happened. In that environment, a Christian would take a considerably risk marrying an "unbeliever", as that person might not only turn their spouse over to the authorities when pressured, he or she could potentially give up the location, size, and all the names of a whole congregation. So in other words, when you marry outside the group, you will endanger the lives and existence of the group -- don't do that. If that was the main reason to stop interfaith relationships, I'd say that in modern US, there is no need for that rule. Apply it where it is needed, by all means, but not in countries where there is no persecution.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Interfaith relationships are sadly restricted due to religious customs. Why should religious differences get in the way of a relationship?ghoklebutter

So you are skeptical about the quran being the word of god or you just simply dont agree with god on this issue?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gambler_3

The way I see it, any ban on interfaith relationships that is a few thousand years old, is fair game for reinterpretation. When Paul wrote that particular verse for example, was during a time when Christianity was not a legally permitted religion in the Roman Empire, as they refused to acknowledge the divine nature of the emperor. The Jews got away with it, thanks to an understanding emperor some time back, but by breaking off from Judaism the newly founded sect was breaking the law when they would not sacrifice to the emperor, and eventually persecution happened. In that environment, a Christian would take a considerably risk marrying an "unbeliever", as that person might not only turn their spouse over to the authorities when pressured, he or she could potentially give up the location, size, and all the names of a whole congregation. So in other words, when you marry outside the group, you will endanger the lives and existence of the group -- don't do that. If that was the main reason to stop interfaith relationships, I'd say that in modern US, there is no need for that rule. Apply it where it is needed, by all means, but not in countries where there is no persecution.ChiliDragon
And the twisting things to suit yourself never ends....

I rest my case about the modern belief in religion...

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChiliDragon

Gambler_3
I still don't get why you're so hung up on literal interpretations. It's almost as if you think that someone who does not follow the Bible literally can't be a christian... an incorrect assumption about Christian beliefs if I ever saw one. What on earth are you basing that wrongful assumption on?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ChiliDragon

I still don't get why you're so hung up on literal interpretations. It's almost as if you think that someone who does not follow the Bible literally can't be a christian... an incorrect assumption about Christian beliefs if I ever saw one. What on earth are you basing that wrongful assumption on?

Because people have a pre-concieved notion like you had one of "inter-faith marriages are not wrong so lets try to interpret the bible in a way that it gets justified".

If you didnt agree with inter-faith marriages then you would never come to that interpretation. You dont make your own rules to satisfy yourself in religion - just no!

As soon as you dont consider the bible god's infallible word then there remains little reason in giving as much importance to the bible as you and all the symbolic interpretors give. It is centuries old outdated illogical mateiral but yet it matters alot!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ChiliDragon

I'd like to jump in here and join this discussion. I don't want to seem presumptive, but this issue has always been one of the central issues of my study of religion and trying to find out why some profess to literal interpretations of their texts, while others rely on either a combination or solely a metaphorical interpretation.

What I've found to be the case with most religious people and religious texts is that the most firmly rooted in their faith, and don't question it (or act out towards others because they are unsure about something) generally support a mostly or fully metaphorical interpretation of their respective text, and that most texts in general, from my own hermeneutical perspective, carry much greater value as metaphorical texts than they do literal accounts of historic events.

That is to say that when a particular passage is discussed, it usually carries the foundation of its "lesson" in the metaphorical message it delivers and uses the allegorical story as a simpler means of delivering that message to the "common folk." It makes it more accessible, and what I've also found, much easier to remember when tied to a mythological event that people can remember as a story, instead of merely just a "rule."

I think it is kind of naive, from both perspectives (both in favour of religion and against it) to think that religious texts carry significant value when interpreted literally. They don't... it has been a common method of delivering messages to people for the longest of time, even well before religion even existed. People often remember stories more than they remember facts and rules.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Teenaged

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]The way I see it, any ban on interfaith relationships that is a few thousand years old, is fair game for reinterpretation. When Paul wrote that particular verse for example, was during a time when Christianity was not a legally permitted religion in the Roman Empire, as they refused to acknowledge the divine nature of the emperor. The Jews got away with it, thanks to an understanding emperor some time back, but by breaking off from Judaism the newly founded sect was breaking the law when they would not sacrifice to the emperor, and eventually persecution happened. In that environment, a Christian would take a considerably risk marrying an "unbeliever", as that person might not only turn their spouse over to the authorities when pressured, he or she could potentially give up the location, size, and all the names of a whole congregation. So in other words, when you marry outside the group, you will endanger the lives and existence of the group -- don't do that. If that was the main reason to stop interfaith relationships, I'd say that in modern US, there is no need for that rule. Apply it where it is needed, by all means, but not in countries where there is no persecution.Gambler_3

If an interpretation is entirely plausible and backed up by the historical knowledge we have of the time then it shouldnt be labeled as "twisting things".

Imo, the reason you feel like labeling it as such is the intention you assume that exists behind an allegorical interpretation: seeking conveniency and an easy life while still holding on to the religion or something akin to that. Am I right?

If I am right, then you must be aware that not only can you not prove that that is the case for most believers but you also cannot condemn non-literal interpretations based on the intentions of some people when they follow that road.

I also despise the reasoning that a literal interpretation is what holds the essence of scripture. If to that you will answer that it cant be proven that they are allegories... well, then it also cant be proven that they are supposed to be literal.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Interfaith relationships are sadly restricted due to religious customs. Why should religious differences get in the way of a relationship?Gambler_3

So you are skeptical about the quran being the word of god or you just simply dont agree with god on this issue?

The latter. 

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]The way I see it, any ban on interfaith relationships that is a few thousand years old, is fair game for reinterpretation. When Paul wrote that particular verse for example, was during a time when Christianity was not a legally permitted religion in the Roman Empire, as they refused to acknowledge the divine nature of the emperor. The Jews got away with it, thanks to an understanding emperor some time back, but by breaking off from Judaism the newly founded sect was breaking the law when they would not sacrifice to the emperor, and eventually persecution happened. In that environment, a Christian would take a considerably risk marrying an "unbeliever", as that person might not only turn their spouse over to the authorities when pressured, he or she could potentially give up the location, size, and all the names of a whole congregation. So in other words, when you marry outside the group, you will endanger the lives and existence of the group -- don't do that. If that was the main reason to stop interfaith relationships, I'd say that in modern US, there is no need for that rule. Apply it where it is needed, by all means, but not in countries where there is no persecution.Teenaged

If an interpretation is entirely plausible and backed up by the historical knowledge we have of the time then it shouldnt be labeled as "twisting things".

Imo, the reason you feel like labeling it as such is the intention you assume that exists behind an allegorical interpretation: seeking conveniency and an easy life while still holding on to the religion or something akin to that. Am I right?

If I am right, then you must be aware that not only can you not prove that that is the case for most believers but you also cannot condemn non-literal interpretations based on the intentions of some people when they follow that road.

I also despise the reasoning that a literal interpretation is what holds the essence of scripture. If to that you will answer that it cant be proven that they are allegories... well, then it also cant be proven that they are supposed to be literal.

Yes you are right. I dont have to prove it, I believe that intentions are judged by actions cuz that is really the only way to go about it.

Can you show me some modern interpretations that arent convenient? Why is it that most of these interpretations end up "relaxing" some stuff?

How come all the people who interpret symbolically accept so easily that a god literally exists? A very good case can be made for god itself being a parable but I wonder why none of the symbolic interpretors believe that? Oh ya it creates a huge problem and hopelessness....

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Interfaith relationships are sadly restricted due to religious customs. Why should religious differences get in the way of a relationship?ghoklebutter

The latter. 

So your reasoning is superior to that of a perfect omniscient god? How can you accept him as your god then?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon
Because people have a pre-concieved notion like you had one of "inter-faith marriages are not wrong so lets try to interpret the bible in a way that it gets justified".Gambler_3
You do realize that not all "people" are the same, right? :P If the reason you have a problem with non-literal interpretations is because you believe the only reason anyone would be interested in them is to try and justify making life as easy as possible, then you are confusing your interpretation of the end results, with the intentions behind what led up to them. Yes, it may be that way with some people, but it is a bit shortsighted, not to mention very narrow minded, to assume that every theist everywhere in the world thinks that way. Don't judge all of us based on a small number of rotten ones, and we'll do our best to return the favor. Deal?
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChiliDragon
I think it is kind of naive, from both perspectives (both in favour of religion and against it) to think that religious texts carry significant value when interpreted literally. They don't... it has been a common method of delivering messages to people for the longest of time, even well before religion even existed. People often remember stories more than they remember facts and rules.foxhound_fox
Not only naive, holding desperately to a literal interpretation as the only truth of anything, across centuries and cultures, simply would not work. The only way for a religion to survive more than one generation is to allow the members to interpret the message in a way that fits with the situation they live in. If nothing else that becomes a necessity once societal changes create situations that could not even have been imagined back when the holy text was first written down. Faced with a choice between pretending such situations do not exist, or to reinterpret and expand the guidelines from their holy texts, the religion that takes the second path is far more likely to survive and grow... while staying alive, dynamic, not to mention relevant.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Because people have a pre-concieved notion like you had one of "inter-faith marriages are not wrong so lets try to interpret the bible in a way that it gets justified".ChiliDragon
You do realize that not all "people" are the same, right? :P If the reason you have a problem with non-literal interpretations is because you believe the only reason anyone would be interested in them is to try and justify making life as easy as possible, then you are confusing your interpretation of the end results, with the intentions behind what led up to them. Yes, it may be that way with some people, but it is a bit shortsighted, not to mention very narrow minded, to assume that every theist everywhere in the world thinks that way. Don't judge all of us based on a small number of rotten ones, and we'll do our best to return the favor. Deal?

See the thing is that the odd exception is acceptable where there really is undisputable indication of a parable, there are parables in every book, religious or non-religious.

However a parable has to be rather obvious especially in a religious text where you have to "believe", I have never read a book where I would spend hours trying to figure if this or that is a parable, even in poetry it's rather obvious what's parable and what's not. The problem with a religious book is that you dont really "know" much of the stuff being talked about.

When you say that X and Y rule is not really a "rule" but a parable for something you "claim" to know the intentions of god, that's the problem. You are using your own judgement to try to find out the intentions of an infinitely superior god?

I would only accept subjective interpretations without a pre-concieved agenda which I never really see, the interpretation always seems to have a "purpose"...I am not outright against non-literal interpretation, it all depends on the particular portions in question. Your interpretation on this marriage matter is biased and baseless in my opinion, I am also strongly against the symbolic interpretation of genesis creation...

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiliDragon
I would only accept subjective interpretations without a pre-concieved agenda which I never really see, the interpretation always seems to have a "purpose"...I am not outright against non-literal interpretation, it all depends on the particular portions in question. Your interpretation on this marriage matter is biased and baseless in my opinionGambler_3
Not in my opinion. So what makes your opinion about my motives more "correct" than mine?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gambler_3

Faced with a choice between pretending such situations do not exist, or to reinterpret and expand the guidelines from their holy texts, the religion that takes the second path is far more likely to survive and grow... while staying alive, dynamic, not to mention relevant.ChiliDragon
I dont know what's more naive, to submit yourself absolutely to an omniscient being or to pretend to have superior reasoning to god/ to think that god is one lazy ass who has left it upon people to interpret his outdated words in whatever way they feel but it still is absolutely necessary to "believe" in him...:roll:

As long as you accept that god actually exists then it's not really difficult to justify pretty much any of the moral standards in the bible...I mean why be an apologetic for the noah's flood? God can do whatever he wants to and he just decided to punish those who disobeyed him, as long as you really believe in god, I dont see the huge problem with it, accept god the way it is or just dont if you dont want to...

You cant "fiddle" with divine truth with your reinterpretations, either something is divine truth or it is nothing divine at all...

And since when was a religion about surviving and growing? All that matters is the truth and the "preservance" of that truth.

Christianity is the most altered from it's original teachings out of all the abarahimic religions and no wonder the symbolic interpretation is more prevalent in it then the others...

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]I would only accept subjective interpretations without a pre-concieved agenda which I never really see, the interpretation always seems to have a "purpose"...I am not outright against non-literal interpretation, it all depends on the particular portions in question. Your interpretation on this marriage matter is biased and baseless in my opinionChiliDragon
Not in my opinion. So what makes your opinion about my motives more "correct" than mine?

When did I say that my opinion is "right"?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChiliDragon
I dont know what's more naive, to submit yourself absolutely to an omniscient being or to pretend to have superior reasoning to god/ to think that god is one lazy ass who has left it upon people to interpret his outdated words in whatever way they feel but it still is absolutely necessary to "believe" in him...Gambler_3
It would be extremely presumptuous of me to claim to know and understand a being as far above my intellect as the Christian god is assumed to be. I am using my human mind to puzzle through and attempt to understand the limited resources that have been given to me. Whether you understand that, or approve of it, is hardly relevant.
When did I say that my opinion is "right"?Gambler_3
When you posted this:
"Because people have a pre-concieved notion like you had one of "inter-faith marriages are not wrong so lets try to interpret the bible in a way that it gets justified".Gambler_3
In the words of court room TV-dramas, you're ascribing motive and speculating, and you have no evidence to support either. You claimed to know all about my preconceived notion, and then claimed that notion as my reason for interpreting a Bible passage the way I did, without actually having any knowledge of why I did, or how I was thinking when I did. I'm not sure if this is your intention, but you are coming across as assuming that my mind works in whichever way works best for your arguments and ways of thinking, and refusing to consider other options.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gambler_3
It was my observation, you dont need emperical evidence to make an observation. And you do know that often times one doesnt even know how biased they actually are towards something? So even if you say that you are not biased then me not believing that doesnt necessarily mean that I think you are lying...
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiliDragon
So in addition to being biased I am now also delusional and in denial? Still assumptions, and rather insulting ones at that.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gambler_3
What exactly is insulting about delusional?
Steingrimur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Steingrimur
Member since 2005 • 3561 Posts
I find that many danish christian girls are extremely sweet and generally very moderate. I think the interfaith relationships can work if both parts are moderate or not too fundamental.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ghoklebutter

So your reasoning is superior to that of a perfect omniscient god? How can you accept him as your god then?Gambler_3

That's just my personal opinion.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Teenaged
Yes you are right. I dont have to prove it, I believe that intentions are judged by actions cuz that is really the only way to go about it.

Can you show me some modern interpretations that arent convenient? Why is it that most of these interpretations end up "relaxing" some stuff?

How come all the people who interpret symbolically accept so easily that a god literally exists? A very good case can be made for god itself being a parable but I wonder why none of the symbolic interpretors believe that? Oh ya it creates a huge problem and hopelessness....

Gambler_3

No you dont have to prove that that is the case for some believers but you would have to prove that this is the case for most believers, and even if you could prove that, then you would have to show how the fact that most believers are moderates because of the conveniency equates to moderate faith being by definition hypocritical or a stance that only serves to indulge people's search for conveniency with the ultimate goal to condemn it as a stance altogether.

Thats like a theist condemning atheism as an arrogant stance just because some atheists come off as arrogant jerks.

Actions can be interpretable. That fact doesnt mean that you have misjudged the intentions of all the theists around you but that things are not always the way they appear to be/not always in tune with our predispositions and preconceived notions and so on. In effect I am telling you to leave some room for doubt about your absolute conclusion.

A premise has to be agreed upon before I continue: that the Bible and any scripture, whether it is influenced by a deity or not, is also influenced by the era during which it was written. Correct? I think that makes perfect sense and is not far-fetched at all.

Modern interpretations go about and influence our perception of/take on scripture based on the modern era. That is hardly hypocritical if we accept the (strong possibility of the) above premise. What is already based on circumstancial socio-political conditions doesnt ought to not change when these conditions do change dramatically.

I can see your problem here and thats my take on it (I will make assumptions along the way so correct me if you think I misjudged something): As an atheist you have come across strong believers who emphasise on how their religion is true beyond doubt, how they are very confident about their faith and whatnot. As a result you have placed very high standards on your acceptance of religion as a non-condemnable way of life. As a reaction to that.

In order for you to respect a religion you expect its scripture to not be interpreted, in order to avoid all arbitrarity, all personal take and all diversity within the same religion.

Your standards are as unrealistic and rigid as the attitude of the believers you might have come across (some of them here on GS I bet). While if you hadnt faced something like that perhaps your positions would be"softer".

While of course allegorical interpretations may give off serious mistakes, it is still a fallacy to assume that a literal interpretation does justice to scripture. Somehow, face value and literal interpretation has been connected to truthfulness and accuracy. A connection which I fail to find any reasoning for. While of course I would relate to you if you criticised the flaws and uncertainty of an allegorical interpretation, it doesnt follow to assume that a literal interpretation is the only non-condemnable option just because its the only alternative or one which falsely is connected to truthfulness. An evangelist has even connected allegory to lying. Imo, you fall into the same "trap" due to those high standards you have placed.

As for if god is a parable himself, I dont exclude that possibility. But I dont see how a text is either entirely allegorical or either entirely literal. Just because Adam and Eve may be allegorical symbols (is that an oxymoron?) doesnt mean God is as well (while of course he/she/it might be).

About the issue of allegory vs literal interpretation here is a link to an oooold thread where I had posted my opinion about it. Sorry I am bored to retype stuff and if I did I would copy-paste. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I find that many danish christian girls are extremely sweet and generally very moderate. I think the interfaith relationships can work if both parts are moderate or not too fundamental. Steingrimur

I also find Christian women to be very caring and honest. I like Christian women. I wouldn't mind dating one, but the majority I know do not prefer a naturalist and some even will refuse to date one.

Vladka22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vladka22
Member since 2009 • 499 Posts

I guess interfaith relationships can work, let's remember that in any relationship there is always differences, of course religion is a pretty sensitive one, but i think if both wants to be together they could obviate that part or tolerate each other belief

I only have an atheist friend and he's dating a protestant girl, they had some problems about it but now they tolerate each other belief and they are good, so i do think interfaith relationships can work

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gambler_3

A premise has to be agreed upon before I continue: that the Bible and any scripture, whether it is influenced by a deity or not, is also influenced by the era during which it was written. Correct? I think that makes perfect sense and is not far-fetched at all.Teenaged
If it is influenced by an omniscient diety then it shouldnt really have much influence from the era it was wirtten in so I cant really agree with that.
I can see your problem here and thats my take on it (I will make assumptions along the way so correct me if you think I misjudged something): As an atheist you have come across strong believers who emphasise on how their religion is true beyond doubt, how they are very confident about their faith and whatnot. As a result you have placed very high standards on your acceptance of religion as a non-condemnable way of life. As a reaction to that.

In order for you to respect a religion you expect its scripture to not be interpreted, in order to avoid all arbitrarity, all personal take and all diversity within the same religion.

Your standards are as unrealistic and rigid as the attitude of the believers you might have come across (some of them here on GS I bet). While if you hadnt faced something like that perhaps your positions would be"softer".Teenaged

I myself had been a literal and absolutist when I was a believer myself. I have never been able to see how I could twist religion to suit my needs and yet actually believe in it.

I am really talking about the people who will very strongly oppose an anti-religious thing and yet their actions dont really show a very strong level of belief. Like how some people "know" they are "right" in religious discussions, how so many people outright reject same-sex marriage as the worst thing ever, how people despise the idea of abortion purely because their religion tells them that it's wrong.

If I say bad things about muhammad even to my close friends than there is a possibility of violent reaction, those friends do all sorts of things that the quran prohibits. What gives here? Why such a strong reaction when they have a not so strong belief themselves? Trying to win favours from god or just simply having some fun or perhaps winning a good image among the society for having stood up for religion? I dont know.:?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChiliDragon

I am really talking about the people who will very strongly oppose an anti-religious thing and yet their actions dont really show a very strong level of belief. Like how some people "know" they are "right" in religious discussions, how so many people outright reject same-sex marriage as the worst thing ever, how people despise the idea of abortion purely because their religion tells them that it's wrong.

If I say bad things about muhammad even to my close friends than there is a possibility of violent reaction, those friends do all sorts of things that the quran prohibits. What gives here? Why such a strong reaction when they have a not so strong belief themselves? Trying to win favours from god or just simply having some fun or perhaps winning a good image among the society for having stood up for religion? I dont know.:?

Gambler_3
But how do you know how strong someone else's belief is, or even what it is? Actions are just actions, they can be motivated by nearly anything, and we have no way of knowing. To look at a person's behavior , and from there extrapolate and claim to know their feelings and thoughts, is to ignore the most important part of them -- the innermost corners that no one ever sees, not even people willing to have a close and open-minded conversations with each other.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ChiliDragon
But how do you know how strong someone else's belief is, or even what it is? Actions are just actions, they can be motivated by nearly anything, and we have no way of knowing. To look at a person's behavior , and from there extrapolate and claim to know their feelings and thoughts, is to ignore the most important part of them -- the innermost corners that no one ever sees, not even people willing to have a close and open-minded conversations with each other.

Intentions can only be judged by the actions. Sure we are limited to not knowing the inner goings of living things but that doesnt mean we just give up entirely on trying to know...
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Teenaged

If it is influenced by an omniscient diety then it shouldnt really have much influence from the era it was wirtten in so I cant really agree with that.

Gambler_3

Not necessarily the case at all. That would be the case if that deity wanted to prevent misinformation from spreading. Or a deity that doesnt grant free will ("free will" as in "I will give you the starters and from then on its your business as humanity as to how to treat them"). From then we can all go on criticising that deity subjectively about its benevolence.Subjectively because benevolence cannot be judged simply by seeing x event taking place without knwoing other parametres too. In essence so long as you dont know everything about the deity (if it exists) you cant profess to be able to judge its benevolence in an absolute manner. And that is about a deity in general. I am not referring to specific literal interpretations of deities through scirpture.

I myself had been a literal and absolutist when I was a believer myself. I have never been able to see how I could twist religion to suit my needs and yet actually believe in it.

Gambler_3

You speak of religion (twist religion) as if it is clear as to what it is, what it should be defined by and consequently whichparts of it should be held intact and unquestionable. For starters, it isnt established that scripture is THE source of religion. It may have been thus far but that doesnt mean it should be.

So, I find the equation scripture=religion to be false.

Based on that I dont see how an allegorical interpretation of scripture twists the religion it is based on. Perhaps religions are starting to redefine themselves in the sense of what they are now based on. And who are we to say absolutely what a religion MUST be based on and to what degree?

And exactly like you said in your first paragraph your criticism is about the people who are behaving hypocritically. Being a hypocrite (judging others strongly by your religious convictions but at the same time not following those convictions yourself) isnt necessarily part of moderate faith. Therefore the term "twisting" doesnt suit it by definition.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I don't believe in faith as such, so interfaith relationships are fine with me.