btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Sorry, stole a version of this from the OT.  But something that's always bothered me is what happened to people before Jesus, according to the Christian faith?  From my reading today of the Bible, it pretty explicitly says you must confess with your mouth that Jesus is your savior.  Now if you ignore the new Earth theory, according to the most modest of estimates, 99.90% of all humans lived before the birth of Christ.  Mainly this one's for you Lans5 & Theo, or any other Christians.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
It seems like another point that would point towards God being more cruel and petty than is humanly possible. He's created you at (for example) 200bc. But, because you die before he/his son does in year 0, you go to hell. It just seems to stem from how horrible God is. If you don't worship him, not only will you go to hell, but you'll go there by drowning in a worldwide flood. It's similar to people who live on a remote island. Its not their fault that they live in the middle of the nowhere. But, by the Bible's logic, they should burn in hell in the same way murderers should. This all then begs the question: if people who don't worship him annoy him so much, why doesn't he just create people as Christians? He's God, he can do anything, can't he?
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I've never really liked this debate, but I guess because it stems from my own disbelief.

I think when I considered myself a Christian, I believe that heaven had always existed, but was revealed through Christ. For heaven to have existed after Christ, in order for it to last for eternity in a linear direction of time, it has to proceed both back and forth in time. Everyone knows that an eternity means that there's no ending, but they also forget that it also means that there's no beginning as well.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

This is a "coincidence", I wrote something up on this just earlier today. It's a good question, btw. :)

"Everyone in the Old Testament, this includes believers and non-believers, went to a place called 'Sheol'. In the New Testament we learn that this place is the equivalent to Hades (note, this is not the same as the Lake of Fire) and that it is divided into two realms. Luke 16:19-31 tells us that Lazarus, who was a believer, was in a realm of comfort called Paradise, while the rich man, who had rejected God, was in a realm of torment. Luke 19:26 says that there was "a great gulf fixed" between the two realms, to keep them separate from each other.

This is where it becomes just slightly more complex. When Jesus died, he is said to have gone to Hades (Ephesians 4:9). At the resurrection however, the believers in Hades, those in the realm of comfort, were moved to another location (2 Corinthians 12:2-4). Now the realm of comfort, called paradise, was separate from Hades, or Sheol.

Today when a believer dies, because of Jesus' sacrifice and our Salvation through him, we are directly in his presence (2 Corinthians 5:6-9). When an unbeliever dies however, he followers the Old Testament unbelievers into Hades. There they will wait until the final judgement (Revelation 20:13–15)."

Hope that explains it sufficiently. 

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bourbons3

I've never really liked this debate, but I guess because it stems from my own disbelief.

I think when I considered myself a Christian, I believe that heaven had always existed, but was revealed through Christ. For heaven to have existed after Christ, in order for it to last for eternity in a linear direction of time, it has to proceed both back and forth in time. Everyone knows that an eternity means that there's no ending, but they also forget that it also means that there's no beginning as well.

Genetic_Code
I don't disagree that always existed (if I believed in God, that is). But why would God be so cruel as to create this exclusive club, only for nobody to be able to enter?
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

Bourbons3

I don't disagree that always existed (if I believed in God, that is). But why would God be so cruel as to create this exclusive club, only for nobody to be able to enter?

Only two human beings will, and ever have entered Heaven. Did you know that? :) 

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lansdowne5

It seems like another point that would point towards God being more cruel and petty than is humanly possible. He's created you at (for example) 200bc. But, because you die before he/his son does in year 0, you go to hell. It just seems to stem from how horrible God is. If you don't worship him, not only will you go to hell, but you'll go there by drowning in a worldwide flood. It's similar to people who live on a remote island. Its not their fault that they live in the middle of the nowhere. But, by the Bible's logic, they should burn in hell in the same way murderers should. This all then begs the question: if people who don't worship him annoy him so much, why doesn't he just create people as Christians? He's God, he can do anything, can't he?Bourbons3

I don't want to get caught up in a big debate about this, but:

1. People in the Old Testament who were believers didn't (and more correctly won't) go to Hell.

2. If God made us so that we could only choose to be Christians, he would be taking away our free will. In affect removing the very thing which he wanted us to have. 

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bourbons3

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It seems like another point that would point towards God being more cruel and petty than is humanly possible. He's created you at (for example) 200bc. But, because you die before he/his son does in year 0, you go to hell. It just seems to stem from how horrible God is. If you don't worship him, not only will you go to hell, but you'll go there by drowning in a worldwide flood. It's similar to people who live on a remote island. Its not their fault that they live in the middle of the nowhere. But, by the Bible's logic, they should burn in hell in the same way murderers should. This all then begs the question: if people who don't worship him annoy him so much, why doesn't he just create people as Christians? He's God, he can do anything, can't he?Lansdowne5

1. People in the Old Testament who were believers didn't (and more correctly won't) go to Hell.

2. If God made us so that we could only choose to be Christians, he would be taking away our free will. In affect removing the very thing which he wanted us to have. 

So the people who got punished by the great flood could have free will, as long as they used that free will to believe in him?
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It seems like another point that would point towards God being more cruel and petty than is humanly possible. He's created you at (for example) 200bc. But, because you die before he/his son does in year 0, you go to hell. It just seems to stem from how horrible God is. If you don't worship him, not only will you go to hell, but you'll go there by drowning in a worldwide flood. It's similar to people who live on a remote island. Its not their fault that they live in the middle of the nowhere. But, by the Bible's logic, they should burn in hell in the same way murderers should. This all then begs the question: if people who don't worship him annoy him so much, why doesn't he just create people as Christians? He's God, he can do anything, can't he?Bourbons3

So the people who got punished by the great flood could have free will, as long as they used that free will to believe in him?

They 'did' have free will . . . . 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Its my understanding that they went to sheol, or the grave, its not torturous or anything but I'm not exactly sure where they went.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

This is a "coincidence", I wrote something up on this just earlier today. It's a good question, btw. :)

"Everyone in the Old Testament, this includes believers and non-believers, went to a place called 'Sheol'. In the New Testament we learn that this place is the equivalent to Hades (note, this is not the same as the Lake of Fire) and that it is divided into two realms. Luke 16:19-31 tells us that Lazarus, who was a believer, was in a realm of comfort called Paradise, while the rich man, who had rejected God, was in a realm of torment. Luke 19:26 says that there was "a great gulf fixed" between the two realms, to keep them separate from each other.

This is where it becomes just slightly more complex. When Jesus died, he is said to have gone to Hades (Ephesians 4:9). At the resurrection however, the believers in Hades, those in the realm of comfort, were moved to another location (2 Corinthians 12:2-4). Now the realm of comfort, called paradise, was separate from Hades, or Sheol.

Today when a believer dies, because of Jesus' sacrifice and our Salvation through him, we are directly in his presence (2 Corinthians 5:6-9). When an unbeliever dies however, he followers the Old Testament unbelievers into Hades. There they will wait until the final judgement (Revelation 20:13–15)."

Lansdowne5

That part is somewhat of a rip of out of Plato's work called "The history of Heron" (if that's in English). Somewhat the same picture is portrayed when Heron went to the underworld and saw the souls being sent to two different destinations: The Tartarus, and the ancient greek version of heaven (don't know in Englidh/Ηλισια Πεδία ).There was exactly the same feeling of the worlds being separated by a plain in the middle of the crossroads where all souls rested for a while before going either way.

I guess Christianism isn't so original. It just added the gulf.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bourbons3
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It seems like another point that would point towards God being more cruel and petty than is humanly possible. He's created you at (for example) 200bc. But, because you die before he/his son does in year 0, you go to hell. It just seems to stem from how horrible God is. If you don't worship him, not only will you go to hell, but you'll go there by drowning in a worldwide flood. It's similar to people who live on a remote island. Its not their fault that they live in the middle of the nowhere. But, by the Bible's logic, they should burn in hell in the same way murderers should. This all then begs the question: if people who don't worship him annoy him so much, why doesn't he just create people as Christians? He's God, he can do anything, can't he?Lansdowne5

But there's no point having free will if there's only one, narrow view point you can take to get in to heaven.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]It seems like another point that would point towards God being more cruel and petty than is humanly possible. He's created you at (for example) 200bc. But, because you die before he/his son does in year 0, you go to hell. It just seems to stem from how horrible God is. If you don't worship him, not only will you go to hell, but you'll go there by drowning in a worldwide flood. It's similar to people who live on a remote island. Its not their fault that they live in the middle of the nowhere. But, by the Bible's logic, they should burn in hell in the same way murderers should. This all then begs the question: if people who don't worship him annoy him so much, why doesn't he just create people as Christians? He's God, he can do anything, can't he?Bourbons3

But there's no point having free will if there's only one, narrow view point you can take to get in to heaven.

Yes there is, so that you're not robots.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bourbons3
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Well its not much different. Many people consider themselves Christians purely out of fear. That's not a good reason to believe in God. But surely God realised this would happen? He write all of our lives out, after all. Having to believe in God for fear of being massacred isn't much better than being a robot.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
Jesus' blood was sufficient to atone for their sins as well. those who had faith would have their sins atoned for by Christ's death upon the cross.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Well its not much different. Many people consider themselves Christians purely out of fear. That's not a good reason to believe in God. But surely God realised this would happen? He write all of our lives out, after all. Having to believe in God for fear of being massacred isn't much better than being a robot.Bourbons3
I always thought many considered themselves christians because they beleived they followed the truth? But what do I know?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
When Jesus died, He went into Limbo and took with Him the saints. Hence why I believe in partial universalism.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Lansdowne5

So, are there any humans in hell yet? Or are they all awaiting for the final judgement?

Only two human beings will, and ever have entered Heaven.

Lansdowne5

Why the special treatment?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Well its not much different. Many people consider themselves Christians purely out of fear. That's not a good reason to believe in God. But surely God realised this would happen? He write all of our lives out, after all. Having to believe in God for fear of being massacred isn't much better than being a robot.

Yes it is. Basically, every choice you make is because you have free will. If you didn't have free will you wouldn't be able to make any choices (believing in God is just one of millions). i.e choose when to watch TV, choose when to go to bed, etc, etc.

Also, God doesn't map out our lives before we're born. He knows what we'll do, but that doesn't mean he dictates it. :) 

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

7guns

So, are there any humans in hell yet? Or are they all awaiting for the final judgement?

Only two human beings will, and ever have entered Heaven.

Lansdowne5

Why the special treatment?

Blue - Nope. From my understanding of it no one has gone to hell yet. They await the Final Judgement where all people will be judged.

White - I'm not entirely sure. Both people had a very special purpose though. What you need to remember is that "Heaven", as it is now, is not the same as the "New Heaven" where all believers will go. :)