Weekly Discussion: Philosophy you subscribe to?

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
When I first became an atheist, like I've said in previous posts it was because of Ayn Rand. So I naturally read her philosophy books, and have since subscribed to the philosophy of Objectivism. Do any of you have similar philosophies? Or do you stay away from them.
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 STWELCH
Member since 2005 • 4805 Posts
Well, besides subscribing to the basic beliefs of Christianity, I would consider myself a postmodern existentialist within my Christian beliefs.
Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
I guess the philosophy I subscribe to would be humanism, for the most part.
JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

Individualism, egoism, and objectivism are my favorite philosophies, but it would probably be more accurate to call my beliefs neo-objectivist.

I guess the philosophy I subscribe to would be humanism, for the most part.ElectronicMagic

That's a very broad philosophy. It sounds like you haven't decided on which beliefs to subscribe to yet.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Don't know if it would qualify as philosophy but I really have gotten alot out of the Dali Lama's books.
Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts

Individualism, egoism, and objectivism are my favorite philosophies, but it would probably be more accurate to call my beliefs neo-objectivist.

[QUOTE="ElectronicMagic"]I guess the philosophy I subscribe to would be humanism, for the most part.JLCrogue

That's a very broad philosophy. It sounds like you haven't decided on which beliefs to subscribe to yet.

I have set belief's, but I don't go searching what they would be called. I didn't want to give a list of what I believe in. Humanism is broad and encompesses a lot of what I believe.

Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

I would say very few Buddhist tenets with Existential Nihilism.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
I'm not really sure if I have any kind of philosophy per se. I suppose maybe nihilism or relativism but I honestly haven't asked myself that question seriously.
STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 STWELCH

Uxal

I always thought Existentialism was a movement against Nihilism; I mean, Camus and Sarte and Nietzsche always argued against that philosophy, and I don't think men like Kierkegaard or Tillich would have viewed it with much interest.

sleepychicken5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sleepychicken5
Member since 2005 • 1224 Posts
I've spent a little bit of time looking into Buddhism, and probably at some point will take a deeper experiment into it. outside of that I don't really practice any particular philosophy.
Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
[QUOTE="Uxal"]

STWELCH

I always thought Existentialism was a movement against Nihilism; I mean, Camus and Sarte and Nietzsche always argued against that philosophy, and I don't think men like Kierkegaard or Tillich would have viewed it with much interest.

Without going into much explanation. Think of Existential Nihilism as the Pepsi light of Pepsi Nihilism drinks. If you want a less lazy answer I would hit an encyclopaedia:P.

STWELCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 STWELCH
[QUOTE="STWELCH"][QUOTE="Uxal"]

Uxal

Without going into much explanation. Think of Existential Nihilism as the Pepsi light of Pepsi Nihilism drinks. If you want a less lazy answer I would hit an encyclopaedia:P.

I get it. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I don't really think much of philosophy generally, but I guess altruism but that's generally a religious philosophy.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SimpJee

I don't really think much of philosophy generally, but I guess altruism but that's generally a religious philosophy.Genetic_Code

Oh noes, Objectivism's eternal foe ... altruism :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5a79221380856

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]I don't really think much of philosophy generally, but I guess altruism but that's generally a religious philosophy.SimpJee

Objectivism sounds interesting. I read about it when I was browsing the topics of the Church & State Union (of which I don't think I've ever posted). They have a user there that adheres to it. I forgot his/her username at the moment.

However, there seemed to be this one flaw. I think Objectivism is a bit self-centered, whcih I don't think is wise. I think, but I don't remember.

Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts

I try and stay away from philosophy it's just another way to classify me into a certain group. Plus it confuses me :p

sleepychicken5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sleepychicken5
Member since 2005 • 1224 Posts
[QUOTE="SimpJee"]

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]I don't really think much of philosophy generally, but I guess altruism but that's generally a religious philosophy.Genetic_Code

Objectivism sounds interesting. I read about it when I was browsing the topics of the Church & State Union (of which I don't think I've ever posted). They have a user there that adheres to it. I forgot his/her username at the moment.

However, there seemed to be this one flaw. I think Objectivism is a bit self-centered, whcih I don't think is wise. I think, but I don't remember.

MarcusAntonius maybe? This doesn't really go from any knowledge of objectivism, he just seems to really like Ayn Rand and she's an objectivist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5a79221380856

MarcusAntonius maybe? This doesn't really go from any knowledge of objectivism, he just seems to really like Ayn Rand and she's an objectivist.

sleepychicken5

Yeah, I think so.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SimpJee
[QUOTE="sleepychicken5"]

Genetic_Code

Yeah, I think so.

I've asked him to stop by, but he has not yet. Anyway, yes Objectivism is self-centered in that you should value yourself enough that you don't hurt yourself to help others. That's the gist of Objectivism vs. Altruism.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I'm a secular humanist, among other things.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"][QUOTE="sleepychicken5"]

SimpJee

Yeah, I think so.

I've asked him to stop by, but he has not yet. Anyway, yes Objectivism is self-centered in that you should value yourself enough that you don't hurt yourself to help others. That's the gist of Objectivism vs. Altruism.

Yes... I agree with that, even though I object to the political elements of objectivism.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
I dont really subscribe to a philosophy, perhaps some influence but I mainly follow the morals, ideas and philosophy of my own well being and what I think is right for me.