The second Atheism Union officer election: come inside to nominate yourself!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Hi everyone. Since we've had a recent change in the leadership of this union I figure that now is the perfect time for a corresponding change in officership. STWELCH, one of the founding members of this union hasn't been posting for a long time so we need a good active member to take his place.

If you're up for the job then let me know in this thread and in a couple of days (perhaps a week?) we can hold the actual voting.

Cheers all.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
You can count me in.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
I didn't last time....but yeah: I nominate myself.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
I nominate myself
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 domatron23
Wow there's three times as many theists going for the position as there are atheists. This should be interesting.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Wow there's three times as many theists going for the position as there are atheists. This should be interesting.domatron23
But that's good! :) I admit that I am biased, since I am a theist of the worst possible kind ;) but I would really love to see the selection of officers reflect the union statement "You are all welcome here, don't let the union name fool you" :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Wow there's three times as many theists going for the position as there are atheists. This should be interesting.ChiliDragon
But that's good! :) I admit that I am biased, since I am a theist of the worst possible kind ;) but I would really love to see the selection of officers reflect the union statement "You are all welcome here, don't let the union name fool you" :)

Oh don't worry I'm sure everyone will vote for who they believe is best at being an officer not at who is the most atheistic. In fact STWELCH was himself a theist so if lans or android or danwallacefan gets it it would be fitting.

You should totally nominate yourself btw ChilliDragon, might as well outnumber MGN four to one.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChiliDragon

You should totally nominate yourself btw ChilliDragon, might as well outnumber MGN four to one.

domatron23
Thank you. Coming from you, I will take that as a compliment :) But...no thank you. I have a bad internet habit of losing interest in a site the moment I am tagged to actively contribute. I really like the AU... I don't want to give my sub-conscious incentives to leave. Makes sense? :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

ChiliDragon

Thank you. Coming from you, I will take that as a compliment :) But...no thank you. I have a bad internet habit of losing interest in a site the moment I am tagged to actively contribute. I really like the AU... I don't want to give my sub-conscious incentives to leave. Makes sense? :)

Yeah that's cool, makes plenty of sense.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Wow there's three times as many theists going for the position as there are atheists. This should be interesting.ChiliDragon

This officer nomination process is already starting to resemble the US presidential elections we just had. Maybe we can spice it up with some derogatory advertisement campaigns about each other, or alternatively I could find 'Joe the plumber' to support my cause. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiliDragon

This officer nomination process is already starting to resemble the US presidential elections we just had. Maybe we can spice it up with some derogatory advertisement campaigns about each other, or alternatively I could find 'Joe the plumber' to support my cause. :P

MetalGear_Ninty
Quickly followed up by alienating half your supporting base by selecting a hot but ditzy and unqualified chick as your running mate...? :P
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

ChiliDragon

Quickly followed up by alienating half your supporting base by selecting a hot but ditzy and unqualified chick as your running mate...? :P

That's fine by me, just as long as the analogy with McCain doesn't stretch too far... if you catch my drift.:P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Quickly followed up by alienating half your supporting base by selecting a hot but ditzy and unqualified chick as your running mate...? :PMetalGear_Ninty
That's fine by me, just as long as the analogy with McCain doesn't stretch too far... if you catch my drift.:P

Why not? Rewrite history! :D
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I don't post here often, and have no interest in becoming a mod, but I would just like to add that I have absolutely no problem with theists becoming mods here.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

@Domatron: I think maybe this time once we've cast our vote we shouldn't be allowed to change it. It makes things tricky if we get a tie near the end (where one person could essentially decide the outcome by changing their vote in one direction or the other).

PS. When does voting start?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 domatron23

@Domatron: I think maybe this time once we've cast our vote we shouldn't be allowed to change it. It makes things tricky if we get a tie near the end (where one person could essentially decide the outcome by changing their vote in one direction or the other).

Lansdowne5

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, I'll be sure to make the rules of voting very clear when I make the topic (which should be in another three or four days).

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

which should be in another three or four days

domatron23

Maybe you shouldn't wait too long; at the rate seen above we might have as many candidates as members. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

GabuEx

Maybe you shouldn't wait too long; at the rate seen above we might have as many candidates as members. :P

It will end up being a week in total if I leave it for that long which I think is a fair amount of time. Besides the more the merrier right? I seem to remember that the last election had more than four candidates. I reckon six is a nice number so if two more people nominate themselves I might make the topic a bit earlier.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MetalGear_Ninty

Lansdowne5
Yeah, that was a right pain in the arse last time. I think there should be also a rule against alt accounts voting also.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Well, I plan on posting here more frequently, so what the hell, I hereby nominate myself. 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 domatron23
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

MetalGear_Ninty

Yeah, that was a right pain in the arse last time. I think there should be also a rule against alt accounts voting also.

Dang that's a good point actually MGN. I'd never thought of that before. I'll be sure to make that clear when I make the topic.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

domatron23

Dang that's a good point actually MGN. I'd never thought of that before. I'll be sure to make that clear when I make the topic.

In that case, might also want to add that only members of the union can vote. Just to get that out of the way... and with a little disclaimer saying members who join only to vote for their friend automatically invalidate their vote by doing so? :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

ChiliDragon

In that case, might also want to add that only members of the union can vote. Just to get that out of the way... and with a little disclaimer saying members who join only to vote for their friend automatically invalidate their vote by doing so? :)

Noted.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

It will end up being a week in total if I leave it for that long which I think is a fair amount of time. Besides the more the merrier right? I seem to remember that the last election had more than four candidates. I reckon six is a nice number so if two more people nominate themselves I might make the topic a bit earlier.

Is there going to be a runoff or anything like that?  I'd hate to see someone voted in by a small plurality.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

GabuEx

Is there going to be a runoff or anything like that?  I'd hate to see someone voted in by a small plurality.

What do you mean by a runoff?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

A runoff is where if no one receives a majority of the votes, there is a subsequent "runoff" election between the two candidates who received the most votes. The reason for it is so that the winner is voted in by a majority, rather than just a plurality.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

-Sun_Tzu-

A runoff is where if no one receives a majority of the votes, there is a subsequent "runoff" election between the two candidates who received the most votes. The reason for it is so that the winner is voted in by a majority, rather than just a plurality.

Rightyho well if that happens we can do something along those lines.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GabuEx

-Sun_Tzu-

Yeah, basically my concern is that if you have six candidates then it's theoretically possible for one of them to win with 17% of the vote... which is obviously undesirable.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 domatron23

I'm not sure there will be a proper union to be an officer for. This has been the most active thread lately, and there is barely any discussion in the other threads. That needs to change. Perhaps an analogy (if a poor one), would be that the United States is having an election at the expense of not paying attention to people starving. And I am starving. Of discussion.
Android339

Start a topic, that's always a surefire way to get into a discussion around here. The more provocative the question posed the better. Come to think of it I don't think we've ever had an official topic about the moral argument for the existence of God, perhaps you could try that. Have a think and then challenge the users here.

There also hasn't been a moral realism thread or a dysteleological argument thread yet. They could be good.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChiliDragon
I'm not sure there will be a proper union to be an officer for. This has been the most active thread lately, and there is barely any discussion in the other threads. That needs to change. Perhaps an analogy (if a poor one), would be that the United States is having an election at the expense of not paying attention to people starving. And I am starving. Of discussion.
Android339
This union, like most other things on the internet, is kind of cyclical. We go through active stretches, and then we're a bit less active for a while, then someone posts a few threads and there is another burst of posting. If you want discussion, by all means, start one. :) Speaking for myself though, I prefer a lower level of activity, as long as we get the high quality discussions that we have had so far. I'll take quality over quantity any day.