danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

Before I begin my breif discussion, I feel that it is necessary to go over something known to philosophers as "Possible worlds semantics" because if you dont understand this concept, then I feel this argument will go WAY over your head, as it did mine the first time I heard a defense of the argument. a Possible world is a possible description of reality, a description which is not inherently self-contradictory or illogical (violating rules of logic or mathematics). Now if something exists contingently, or if something is true contingently, then it is true in one or more possible worlds, but it is not true in every possible world. For instance, this message you are reading exists contingently. Surely there is some possible world in which I did not in fact type this message.

But, when something exists necessarily, or some truth is necessarily true, that means that there is absolutely no possible description of reality in which that thing does not exist, or in which that truth is not true. For instance, the law of non-contradiction is a necessary truth. There is absolutely no possible description of reality in which something can embody a property and not embody that property. also mathematics is true in all possible worlds. there is no possible description of reality in which 2+2=5. Furthermore, abstract objects, like numbers, sets, etc exist in all possible worlds if they do indeed exist and are not merely man-made concepts (I think I will someday make a thread defending the existence of abstract objects and properties)

Now that we've gotten possible worlds semantics out of the way, let us move on to the Ontological proof for God's existence.

First, God is a maximally excellent, or maximally great being. Entailed in maximal excellence are omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence, and necessary (but they of course are not limited to that)

Now that we have articulated this crucial premise, we can give the ontological proof.

P1: It is possible that a maximally great being exist. This is of course true because a maximally great being is concievable and is not inherently self-contradictory.

P2: If a maximally great being can possibly exist, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.

Simple: There is some possible description of reality in which a maximally great being exists.

P3: If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world

Simple again: Entailed in maximal greatness is necessity. a necessary entity cannot possibly exist in only one or a few possible worlds and not in others, that is inherently self-contradictory. But since a maximally great being is NOT inherently self-contradictory, it therefore follows that a maximally great being must exist in every possible world

P4: If a maximally great being exists every possible world, then a maximally great being exists in the actual world

P5: If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then it exists

C: Therefore, a maximally great being exists

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts

First, God is a maximally excellent, or maximally great being. Entailed in maximal excellence are omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence, and necessary (but they of course are not limited to that) Now that we have articulated this crucial premise, we can give the ontological proof.

But this is an assumption.

P1: It is possible that a maximally great being exist. This is of course true because a maximally great being is concievable and is not inherently self-contradictory. P2: If a maximally great being can possibly exist, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.

If we assume that there are other worlds.

P3: If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world Simple again: Entailed in maximal greatness is necessity. a necessary entity cannot possibly exist in only one or a few possible worlds and not in others, that is inherently self-contradictory. But since a maximally great being is NOT inherently self-contradictory, it therefore follows that a maximally great being must exist in every possible world

This relies on the second premise, which is dubious at best, and the assumption of necessity.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Was it you that made that thread on OT defending Plantinga's ontological argument? I can't remember.

Just a quick question, do you think that St Anselm's ontological argument is sound or unsound? Because if you think it's unsound then we can narrow down the criticisms to just what Plantinga does differently.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Was it you that made that thread on OT defending Plantinga's ontological argument? I can't remember.

domatron23
Yep. And then he played word games for five pages. :roll:
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
You started very nice by using the words "possible", "it's possible". But then somewhere between step 2 and 3 you decided to not use them anymore. I will tell you that you should go on using them because simply not using them does not make the argument certain or real. It is still just a possibility in its core. ;)
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

[QUOTE="Dan"]First, God is a maximally excellent, or maximally great being. Entailed in maximal excellence are omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence, and necessary (but they of course are not limited to that) Now that we have articulated this crucial premise, we can give the ontological proof.CptJSparrow
But this is an assumption.

I agree with the captain on this one...

This is an idea, personified, and then named god. You are assuming the very things you are trying to prove...

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

The problem is that we are assuming that this maximally great being is omnipotent, omnipresent, ect ect.

In essense, we are assuming that God exists for your theory that proves God exists.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 danwallacefan

But this is an assumption. CptJSparrow

what's wrong with obeying our modal intuitions? further, what could be greater than an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient, God?

If we assume that there are other worlds. CptJSparrow

Well surely there are. after all, we can imagine the world in a different state of affairs that it is in right now. Surely the modal concept of possible worlds semantics is valid. But if you think that there are no other possible worlds, you're essentially making the claim that the state of affairs that teh world is in right now is necessary, as in it is *metaphysically* impossible to exemplify that it would have embodied a different state of affairs.

this is a truly massive truth claim which you really cannot hope to back up.

This relies on the second premise, which is dubious at best, and the assumption of necessity.CptJSparrow
again, modal intuitions. further, there are truths which are necessary, like 2+2=4. But if a maximally great being was contingent, it woulden't be maximally great.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danwallacefan
oh and Domatron, I dont think Anselm's argument is sound.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts

what's wrong with obeying our modal intuitions?

"the classification of logical propositions according to their asserting or denying the possibility, impossibility, contingency, or necessity of their content"? These are nothing more than opinions.

further, what could be greater than an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient, God?

Probably a god that was not necessarily omnibenovelent... which is a constraint.

Well surely there are. after all, we can imagine the world in a different state of affairs that it is in right now. Surely the modal concept of possible worlds semantics is valid. But if you think that there are no other possible worlds, you're essentially making the claim that the state of affairs that teh world is in right now is necessary, as in it is *metaphysically* impossible to exemplify that it would have embodied a different state of affairs. this is a truly massive truth claim which you really cannot hope to back up.

Just because we can imagine the world in a different state does not mean that there are other existent worlds. A Priori = true in-itself, true by definition. Which your semantics are not. Synthetic (a posteriori) = true by examination. Which your semantics are not --- give me scientifically-verified other worlds. Nonsense = everything else.

again, modal intuitions. further, there are truths which are necessary, like 2+2=4. But if a maximally great being was contingent, it woulden't be maximally great.

Subjectively. You said 'maximally,' not 'utterly' great.
dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 dallbowl
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts

First, God is a maximally excellent, or maximally great being. Entailed in maximal excellence are omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence, and necessary (but they of course are not limited to that)

danwallacefan

Omnipotence and omniscience are incompatible.

Omniscience= to know everything (emphasis on everything).

Omnipotence= unlimited power (eg. power to create anything).

Example. God creates free beings. Free beings can choose between different courses of action. God would be able to know what those choices would be, thus, the free beings would not be free after all. If the being can choose an action then there is a chance that God has a false beleif about what that action will be. As a result, God is not all knowing. 

The following is from this website: http://www.iep.utm.edu/o/ont-arg.htm#H4

"The problem of divine foreknowledge can also be seen as denying that omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection constitute a coherent set. Roughly put, the problem of divine foreknowledge is as follows. If God is omniscient, then God knows what every person will do at every moment t. To say that a person p has free will is to say that there is at least one moment t at which p does A but could have done other than A. But if a person p who does A at t has the ability to do other than A at t, then it follows that p has the ability to bring it about that an omniscient God has a false belief - and this is clearly impossible.

On this line of analysis, then, it follows that it is logically impossible for a being to simultaneously instantiate omniscience and omnipotence. Omnipotence entails the power to create free beings, but omniscience rules out the possibility that such beings exist. Thus, a being that is omniscient lacks the ability to create free beings and is hence not omnipotent. Conversely, a being that is omnipotent has the power to create free beings and hence does not know what such beings would do if they existed. Thus, the argument concludes that omniscience and omnipotence are logically incompatible. If this is correct, then all versions of the ontological argument fail."

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts
Word games can't prove anything, metaphysical or not.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Danwallacefan:  I ask this as respectfully as I can, do you need these "theory's" of God's proof or are they for the Atheist's in the union?  Each of these you put up makes little real life sense and seem to be shredded quickly.  I don't need all of that to believe in God, it's much simpler than that, as it should be for most humans.  I just cannot believe based on what I have seen or learned.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Danwallacefan:  I ask this as respectfully as I can, do you need these "theory's" of God's proof or are they for the Atheist's in the union?  Each of these you put up makes little real life sense and seem to be shredded quickly.  I don't need all of that to believe in God, it's much simpler than that, as it should be for most humans.  I just cannot believe based on what I have seen or learned.btaylor2404

In his defense I think his arguments (well not "his") are very compelling and thought provoking. None of them really establish God but I thoruoghly enjoy dissecting them.

I'll also admit that several of these arguments have challenged me.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 btaylor2404

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]Danwallacefan:  I ask this as respectfully as I can, do you need these "theory's" of God's proof or are they for the Atheist's in the union?  Each of these you put up makes little real life sense and seem to be shredded quickly.  I don't need all of that to believe in God, it's much simpler than that, as it should be for most humans.  I just cannot believe based on what I have seen or learned.domatron23

In his defense I think his arguments (well not "his") are very compelling and thought provoking. None of them really establish God but I thoruoghly enjoy dissecting them.

Thanks Dom for another Atheist point of view.  I just don't see them as compelling, I guess it's just me.  I also think this is one of the reasons the AU is a very good union, Atheist's will defend Christian points to other Atheist's.  Very good all around.

Sitri_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sitri_
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]Danwallacefan:  I ask this as respectfully as I can, do you need these "theory's" of God's proof or are they for the Atheist's in the union?  Each of these you put up makes little real life sense and seem to be shredded quickly.  I don't need all of that to believe in God, it's much simpler than that, as it should be for most humans.  I just cannot believe based on what I have seen or learned.btaylor2404

Thanks Dom for another Atheist point of view.  I just don't see them as compelling, I guess it's just me.  I also think this is one of the reasons the AU is a very good union, Atheist's will defend Christian points to other Atheist's.  Very good all around.

I too find them nice thought exercises.  

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

dallbowl

Omnipotence and omniscience are incompatible.

Omniscience= to know everything (emphasis on everything).

Omnipotence= unlimited power (eg. power to create anything).

Example. God creates free beings. Free beings can choose between different courses of action. God would be able to know what those choices would be, thus, the free beings would not be free after all. If the being can choose an action then there is a chance that God has a false beleif about what that action will be. As a result, God is not all knowing.

The following is from this website: http://www.iep.utm.edu/o/ont-arg.htm#H4

"The problem of divine foreknowledge can also be seen as denying that omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection constitute a coherent set. Roughly put, the problem of divine foreknowledge is as follows. If God is omniscient, then God knows what every person will do at every moment t. To say that a person p has free will is to say that there is at least one moment t at which p does A but could have done other than A. But if a person p who does A at t has the ability to do other than A at t, then it follows that p has the ability to bring it about that an omniscient God has a false belief - and this is clearly impossible.

On this line of analysis, then, it follows that it is logically impossible for a being to simultaneously instantiate omniscience and omnipotence. Omnipotence entails the power to create free beings, but omniscience rules out the possibility that such beings exist. Thus, a being that is omniscient lacks the ability to create free beings and is hence not omnipotent. Conversely, a being that is omnipotent has the power to create free beings and hence does not know what such beings would do if they existed. Thus, the argument concludes that omniscience and omnipotence are logically incompatible. If this is correct, then all versions of the ontological argument fail."

Here is the major problem: The idea that divine foreknowledge cannot be reconciled with human freedom is a fallacy. allow me to use math to actually demonstrate this. The idea that divine foreknowledge and human freedom are irreconcilable can be expressed in this logical proof
P=God's knowledge of event X
Q=Event X taking place

[](P->Q)
P
_____
[]Q

"[]" means "necessarily.
Necessarily, if God knows that you will make decision "X", then you will do decision X
God knows that you will make decision "X"
Therefore, necessarily, you will make decision X

but "Necessarily" doesn't follow because God didn't necessarily know that you would make a particular decision. He could have known that you would make some other decision. Since God's knowledge of whatever decision you will make is contingent, your actual decision was still contingent. Therefore, you freely chose to make said decision, and human freedom is not infringed.

dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dallbowl

Necessarily, if God knows that you will make decision "X", then you will do decision X

but "Necessarily" doesn't follow because God didn't necessarily know that you would make a particular decision. He could have known that you would make some other decision. Since God's knowledge of whatever decision you will make is contingent, your actual decision was still contingent. Therefore, you freely chose to make said decision, and human freedom is not infringed.

danwallacefan

By stating that God's knowledge of decision X is contingent, you are saying that it is not necessarily true or necessarily false, which still leads to the problem of an omniscient being not knowing with 100% certainty that decision X will occur. At best, the omniscient being only knows that decision X may occur. We still have the ability to choose, but the omniscient being cannot know with certainty what that choice will be. God is not all knowing, but then I guess God is not wrong either.

There are many agruments for and against this topic. This debate has been going on for centuries. I doubt we will reach any worthwhile conclusions.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
actually a maximally excellent being or w/e is contradictory. If it can do ANYTHING that means it can go against universal truths including the non contradiction one. but that just contradicts it, meaning it isnt true in ANY world because it contradicts a truth that is in EVERY world.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funky_Llama

First, God is a maximally excellent, or maximally great being.

danwallacefan
How do you know? >_>
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

The problem is that we are assuming that this maximally great being is omnipotent, omnipresent, ect ect.

In essense, we are assuming that God exists for your theory that proves God exists.

helium_flash

Precisely. And thus, the hypothesis fails.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

dallbowl

By stating that God's knowledge of decision X is contingent, you are saying that it is not necessarily true or necessarily false, which still leads to the problem of an omniscient being not knowing with 100% certainty that decision X will occur. At best, the omniscient being only knows that decision X may occur. We still have the ability to choose, but the omniscient being cannot know with certainty what that choice will be. God is not all knowing, but then I guess God is not wrong either.

There are many agruments for and against this topic. This debate has been going on for centuries. I doubt we will reach any worthwhile conclusions.

delbowl, you're misunderstanding the notion of free will. Free will means that it can make a decision despite the fact that it is contingent, as in some possible world, he made a different decision. Likewise, God's knowledge of a future event is contingent. As long as a decision one makes is contingent and not metaphysically necessary, then it was freely made

Now in response to Theassasin, You're completely misunderstanding what omnipotence is. No one here is saying that an omnipotent being would be able violate the laws of logic. Even Aquinas believed that. But even Descartes would just wink at your argument because if something can violate the laws of logic, then there are no possible arguments against it, including your own argument

Now in response to Funky_llama, the reason a maximally great being is God is because entailed in maximal excellence is necessary existence, omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Now in response to Funky_llama, the reason a maximally great being is God is because entailed in maximal excellence is necessary existence, omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.

danwallacefan

Now that is a copletely crackpot theory; to use your own words. ;)

It has been explained why by other users before me.

Restating this ...."argument" doesn't change anything really.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Funky_Llama

danwallacefan
And how do you know that God is maximally (cue Bill and Ted impressions) excellent?
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 btaylor2404
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

Funky_Llama

And how do you know that God is maximally (cue Bill and Ted impressions) excellent?

Dumbass :lol:, because George Carlin was there with them.

dallbowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dallbowl

delbowl, you're misunderstanding the notion of free will. Free will means that it can make a decision despite the fact that it is contingent, as in some possible world, he made a different decision. Likewise, God's knowledge of a future event is contingent. As long as a decision one makes is contingent and not metaphysically necessary, then it was freely made

Now in response to Theassasin, You're completely misunderstanding what omnipotence is. No one here is saying that an omnipotent being would be able violate the laws of logic. Even Aquinas believed that. But even Descartes would just wink at your argument because if something can violate the laws of logic, then there are no possible arguments against it, including your own argument

danwallacefan

If you could please elaborate on your point more, you have just repeated what you said beforehand. All you have added is 'in some possible world, he made a different decision.'