The cultural difference between the west and the east, how can you explain it?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I am as open minded and for gender equality as it gets in the part of the world that I live, but even I have some very disturbing differences with an average western person.

For a western male it is perfectly normal that his wife would roam around in a bikini on the beaches and anyone can see that and even take pics in disguise if they want to, for me this is effin impossible just not happening. My wife cannot dress that way or she wont be my wife. I dont care about the rationality of the situation cuz I am not saying it's irrational or rational, I just dont like it and cannot accept it.

An average pakistani is another extreme version of the situation. He is very very protective of their mom, daughters and sisters, women have to generally hide their relationships with their brothers or else there could be trouble. Apparantly it's insulting if the community knows that your sister is being screwed around by someone.:?

The higher class of society is not so rigid though and neither am I when it comes to mom and sister. 

Now back to the original problem, why does an enlightened pakistani still find it impossible to marry someone who wears very revealing clothes in public but it's like a non-issue to your average western man? Is it all about upbringing, environment or somethin else as well? Could it be genetic as well?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Nah it's not genetic. We're all a product of our cultures that's all.

I was brought up seeing bikini clad women on beaches all the time. Whether it was in movies or tv shows or on the beach or in the pool there was always going to be women in revealing outfits. It was normal for me but I'm wondering if you grew up with quite a different perspective on what is normal. What was the normal thing for women to do in Pakistan when they went for a swim?

Incidentally I worked at a swimming pool for 3-4 years and every day that I went there would be women in revealing outfits. Even some of the young girls that I instructed wore two piece swimming suits. I think the important thing was though that these people were not sexualised. In Western culture showing a bit of skin is not an invitation to have sex with someone and just because a woman is in a bikini doesn't mean that every man gets to treat her like a sex object. Perhaps this is the main disconnect and Eastern culture sees the relationship between the body and sex differently.

At this swimming pool there was a group of Muslim women that would come in after hours for swimming lessons. Every man on the premises had to be evacuated before they would even think about getting into the changing rooms, it was quite funny. In any case  I don't know exactlywhat went on but the female staff told me that these women were very poor swimmers even though they were in their twenties and thirties. It just kind of sucks that the Eastern taboo against swimwear impacted their ability to be safe and happy in water.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

I am as open minded and for gender equality as it gets in the part of the world that I live, but even I have some very disturbing differences with an average western person.

For a western male it is perfectly normal that his wife would roam around in a bikini on the beaches and anyone can see that and even take pics in disguise if they want to, for me this is effin impossible just not happening. My wife cannot dress that way or she wont be my wife. I dont care about the rationality of the situation cuz I am not saying it's irrational or rational, I just dont like it and cannot accept it.

An average pakistani is another extreme version of the situation. He is very very protective of their mom, daughters and sisters, women have to generally hide their relationships with their brothers or else there could be trouble. Apparantly it's insulting if the community knows that your sister is being screwed around by someone.:?

The higher class of society is not so rigid though and neither am I when it comes to mom and sister.

Now back to the original problem, why does an enlightened pakistani still find it impossible to marry someone who wears very revealing clothes in public but it's like a non-issue to your average western man? Is it all about upbringing, environment or somethin else as well? Could it be genetic as well?

Gambler_3

A common example of Australia, we are very easy going and yes in the summer time, wear very little clothing. Down here i think it is a mixture of upbringing and environment being a warm/hot country. Also religion does not play a large role in mainstream society so these strict guidelines are not seen with any relevance.
Is this much of an insight to you?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Perhaps also the cultural difference stems from the fact that Australia and New Zealand have way more available beaches then you average Islamic country.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Cultures are largely self-propagating entities.  Once they've formed, they stick.  Humans generally cannot function properly without being part of the society into which they are born.  Then, as they grow up and become assimilated into that culture, they transition from one on whom the culture is thrust to one who is thrusting the culture on others, and on it goes into the next generation.

Despite the popular image of every new generation as rebellious so-and-sos who will destroy society, by far the primary determinant of who you will grow up to be is who your parents are, since that determines in what country you're born, into what neighborhood you're born, who your friends will be, and so on.  This is precisely why no new generation has ever been fundamentally and radically different than the one who came before it.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gambler_3
What was the normal thing for women to do in Pakistan when they went for a swim?domatron23
There are separate sections for women or timings if there's only 1 pool.
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"]What was the normal thing for women to do in Pakistan when they went for a swim?Gambler_3

That's a little sad, don't you think?

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
Little to no sharing of philosophy, I guess.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="domatron23"]What was the normal thing for women to do in Pakistan when they went for a swim?THUMPTABLE

That's a little sad, don't you think?

Not little but very sad.:cry: