Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Pastor Terry Jones

Nice suit & tie! (full story from the BBC here)

Despite rather massive public opposition and condemnation, this man and a few hundred of his followers are going to burn some books to mark a terrorist attrocity inspired by religious hatred. Although I personally disagree with with some of his reasoning and motivations, I fully support his right to burn books.

But do YOU think he's within his rights to do this, even though he may be wrong (in your eyes) for doing it? Is it better to stop this from happening?

Do you think this burning will really go ahead?

More generally, is there anything the "mainstream" Muslim culture can do to actively integrate themselves in westernised society? I think there is a disconnect between the values of Euro-American culture and the values inherrent in the religion. The news story says that 53% of Americans view Islam unfavourably, as opposed to 42% who viewed the religion favourably.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Book burning has always been a sort of symbol of anti-intellectualism to me. It's a brutish way to try and stamp out a point of view by physically preventing people from reading and thinking about it. Some points of view aren't exactly what you want to be propegated but you should prevent their spread by educating people about their shortcomings, not by censoring the view itself.

As for this dude's right to burn a Quran or two.... well as long as he owns the copies he's perfectly within his rights to go ahead with it. I maintain that it's a brutish thing to do and that he'd be better off educating people on why religiously inspired terrorism is not a good idea. Nevertheless, if he wants to do it he should be allowed t and not barred.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Of course; we should be allowed to so by law. However, I don't see any good coming out of burning books.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Of course anyone should be allowed to burn a book, regardless of its content as long as its theirs. It's illogical of course to waste money like that for an artistic statement based entirely on emotion. I wonder though if any of these church members have read the Qur'an.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Book burning has always been a sort of symbol of anti-intellectualism to me.domatron23

Agreed. I don't think people should be allowed to burn books at all, that's just my personal stance... and this guy doing so to, obviously, try and incite violence from Muslims just to "prove his point." The fact he thinks he was "sent by God to destroy Islam" has me worried not only of his safety, but the safety of everyone else in the world.

I personally will be taking part in the "international read a Qur'an day" this weekend.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist

Put your matches away - its been called off.

The thing that interests me about this is that he's not being criticised for what he's saying against what's in the Quran, but that he's offending Muslims and inflaming tensions.

It occurs to me that the reason why there is such a fuss is that Muslim sensitivities tend to over-ride freedom of speech. I wonder why there hasn't been a good open "debate" about the moderate Muslim view and how it interprets obscene passages from the Quran. Perhaps this would have led to a greater understanding and trust in Islam not being a threat to free thinking. I suggest it's because such a debate is fundamentally impossible to have.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
Yes. Btw, that crazy church that protests military funerals is picking up the cause and burning some qur'ans. but the media doesn't care about them since they've already been deemed crazy. this whole thing is stupid
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

Put your matches away - its been called off.

The thing that interests me about this is that he's not being criticised for what he's saying against what's in the Quran, but that he's offending Muslims and inflaming tensions.

It occurs to me that the reason why there is such a fuss is that Muslim sensitivities tend to over-ride freedom of speech. I wonder why there hasn't been a good open "debate" about the moderate Muslim view and how it interprets obscene passages from the Quran. Perhaps this would have led to a greater understanding and trust in Islam not being a threat to free thinking. I suggest it's because such a debate is fundamentally impossible to have.

RationalAtheist

There has been plenty of discussion about modrate islam and it's place in the western world.

Normally I would agree with you that the threat of violence shouldn't stifle free speech, but I see this as a detriment to long term goals in southwest Asia. We do all this work to stabilize that place then crap like this happens and insurgency bases are energized and their recruiters are given more ammunition. This entire exercise did little more than to validate the "evil apostate American" rhetoric they spew over there and is harming the stability of the region.  

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RationalAtheist

Don't put those lighters away just yet - it may be back on again. There was a mix-up over a promise made not to build the mosque so near ground zero. The Pastor and Imam promised to meet for further talks. I'd love to see the forthcoming debate between Pastor and Imam televised globally; preferably from within a boxing ring.

There has been plenty of discussion about modrate islam and it's place in the western world.

Normally I would agree with you that the threat of violence shouldn't stifle free speech, but I see this as a detriment to long term goals in southwest Asia. We do all this work to stabilize that place then crap like this happens and insurgency bases are energized and their recruiters are given more ammunition. This entire exercise did little more than to validate the "evil apostate American" rhetoric they spew over there and is harming the stability of the region.

Frattracide

I've not been personally aware of the discussion resolving the hatred in the Quran from westernised Islamism. This fundamental disconnect still exists for me, anyway. In fact, I think its all to easy for Muslims to equate the hatred espoused for infidels in the book and transfer it to Americans and Europeans in the modern Jihad.

I think this an horrendous attempt at suppression of any criticism of Islam for fear of reprisals. It makes any real discussion over the nature and value of this, or any other religion dangerous.

If Muslims in West Asia think the US is being anti-Islamic, they're wrong and they've been lied to, since its only one crazy, tiny, evangelical, extreme, Christian organisation offering to do any book-burning. I think the reason its being so widely reported in the west is that there is so much outrage and condemnation against it. Surely, that would make those Muslims in that region happy.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16033 Posts

If it's within the boundaries of the law in his area, then he has every right to do it; regardless of the fact that it makes him look like an intolerant jerk. One thing that moderate muslims can do to help repair the image of Islam in the west is to use their voice. Preachers like Khaled Yasin and Yusuf Estes do a great job at this, but I would like to see more moderate muslims openly condemning terrorism, refuting misconceptions and proving that Islam is peaceful and loving (I'm assuming that it really is peaceful and loving for the sake of the point). Muslims should try to make progress in this regard instead of complaining about being victimized while doing nothing to solve the problem.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@dracula: I would tend to agree, aside from the part of me that can't stand the destruction of the written word (I find people who underline library books in pen very irritating, so you can guess how I'd feel about their destruction)... I read an article in the paper recently that was talking about how most Muslims "defend" the actions of their co-religionists (whether directly or indirectly) instead of condemning their actions and standing up for their "peace loving" religion.

I think the biggest problem Islam faces is the fact that the Qur'an is the absolute "Word of God" and therefore, to call out some things within it (i.e. the beating of one's wife) would be to insult God, and doesn't allow for more "liberal interpretations" of the text... which in my opinion is utter crap. Why does it have to be the literal Word of God, why not the metaphorical Word of God? The Bible used (and to many people still is) to be the literal Word of God... but now is open to much more liberal interpretations and metaphorical usage (which also, in my opinion, gives much more value to the religion as a whole).

I think this is why a lot of Islamic countries seem like they are still stuck in the Middle Ages in terms of their governments and regulations... they take the Qur'an too literally, which doesn't allow it to transcend time (a literal religious text will only ever be completely relevant during the time it was authored).
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#12 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Absolutely right foxhound.

Unfortunately I just cant see a peaceful solution to the problem, the muslims will always interpret the quran literally atleast I dont see that changing in the foreseeable future.