Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

This sig caught my attention today: 

atheis+

Well done all those who've added the AU forum to their sig. The advertising seems to work! I' had heard some noise and complaints about the adverts to this union in the forums. It seems there are some who'd like this union disbanded and inadverantly advertise it in their sigs in a seemingly counter-productive effort to have the union removed.

But should atheists really have a union? 

Does something sound unatheis+ about it?

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I'd love to see the calls for disbanding this union, which of course, aren't going to happen. And yes, atheists should have a union just like Christians do - in which they have quite a few unions actually. This is the one and only atheist union. Just because atheists don't have a doctrine of beliefs doesn't mean they shouldn't be organised. Atheists all have in common their atheism, just like Christians have in common Christianity, and that's good cause for a union. I just wish offline there was more organisation of atheists. The National Secular Society is the best thing you'd get in the UK, but they don't operate in Northern Ireland so I'm excluded from it unfortunately.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

That guy? He's shown time and time again he is willfully ignorant or just a moron. Yes we should have a union, in a world where the majority of people base their world view and politics and law around bronze age myths, we need to stand up for secular humanism and reason

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RationalAtheist

That guy? He's shown time and time again he is willfully ignorant or just a moron. Yes we should have a union, in a world where the majority of people base their world view and politics and law around bronze age myths, we need to stand up for secular humanism and reason

wis3boi

I know. I did this for a bit of a joke really. Although in all seriousness, I think it is a great idea to have this union and often I get PM notifications regarding new members joining up.

I blurred the user to save them some embarrassment. The post they made doesn't make sense either:

There are two groups of atheists...

1) atheists

2) people who want to be atheists (including extreme hardcore wannabees)

Group 2, by his definition, wouldn't be atheists!

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Yes atheists should have unions, it's only fair. That guy must be an idiot.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

RationalAtheist

I know. I did this for a bit of a joke really. Although in all seriousness, I think it is a great idea to have this union and often I get PM notifications regarding new members joining up.

I blurred the user to save them some embarrassment. The post they made doesn't make sense either:

There are two groups of atheists...

1) atheists

2) people who want to be atheists (including extreme hardcore wannabees)

Group 2, by his definition, wouldn't be atheists!

The way he posts, I'm guessing he is middle eastern and likely isn't exposed to opposing views as much or is severely brainwashed

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I've been having formatting issues with the text in my sig recently and just removed it until I can fix it. But, no, we shouldn't be allowed to have unions! It means that we agree on something and that in turn instantly means we have a dogma! :o
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

While I get the point that there is something slightly odd about uniting under the banner of a lack of belief in something, I do not see why this is an actual issue. Atheists can unite in whatever lawful way they choose.

In a similar manner, if I were to encounter an "atheist homeless shelter" or an orphanage run in the name of atheism I would think it unusual but to respond with "You can't do that!" might be a bit much.

I've been having formatting issues with the text in my sig recently and just removed it until I can fix it.

But, no, we shouldn't be allowed to have unions! It means that we agree on something and that in turn instantly means we have a dogma! :oZeviander

If you break out an atheist hymnal or begin chanting a creed I'm slowly backing away.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi

While I get the point that there is something slightly odd about uniting under the banner of a lack of belief in something, I do not see why this is an actual issue. Atheists can unite in whatever lawful way they choose.

In a similar manner, if I were to encounter an "atheist homeless shelter" or an orphanage run in the name of atheism I would think it unusual but to respond with "You can't do that!" might be a bit much.

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I've been having formatting issues with the text in my sig recently and just removed it until I can fix it.

But, no, we shouldn't be allowed to have unions! It means that we agree on something and that in turn instantly means we have a dogma! :omindstorm

If you break out an atheist hymnal or begin chanting a creed I'm slowly backing away.

Hail meatsauce, full of beef. The Spaghetti Monster is with you. Blessed are you among sauces, and blessed is the spice from your shaker. Heated meatsauce, monster of taste, pray for us non-pirates now and at the hour of our hunger. R'Amen

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RationalAtheist

mindstorm

The idea of an atheist homeless shelter or atheist orphanage would seem entirely misguided and inappropriate to me. There are already plenty of secular centres like that, but to parade atheism specifically as banner for helping others seems ridiculous to me. I've always thought advertising charity providers to be rather suspect though.

Such places would just be be called homeless shelters or orphanages (as they are), where the focus is not on a religion, or being an atheist, but on care for the homless and on children instead.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RationalAtheist

August Comte actually tried doing something like this.Android339

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Comte

Religious Humanism and Positivism - makes for good reading.

Interesting stuff! 

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Of course we should be able to have a union. It's nice to be amongst like minded people. Although on this forum and parts of the internet it seems as if we are the vocal majority, we are, in fact, the minority and in many places we're discriminated against. There has been many instances(almost always) irl where I kept my mouth shut about my being an atheist. Tbh, I have no atheist friends aside from the internet so knowing you guys share similar views makes me feel good.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wis3boi

Of course we should be able to have a union. It's nice to be amongst like minded people. Although on this forum and parts of the internet it seems as if we are the vocal majority, we are, in fact, the minority and in many places we're discriminated against. There has been many instances(almost always) irl where I kept my mouth shut about my being an atheist. Tbh, I have no atheist friends aside from the internet so knowing you guys share similar views makes me feel good.

junglist101

*hugs you*

I have loads of atheist/non-religious friends around me, though we all tend to keep our mouths shut just in case. It really is the wonder of the internet that can calim responsibility for such a massive rise in secular humanism across the world. I mean, 1/3rd of young adults being without religion in the US today? That's a HUGE increase. Reddit's r/atheism is a nice place to explore too, I find.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

junglist101

I'm in the same position, all of my friends are Christian and I have actually never met another atheist in person so it's nice to have a place to go to be with like minded people as you put

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

Android339

*hugs you*

I have loads of atheist/non-religious friends around me, though we all tend to keep our mouths shut just in case. It really is the wonder of the internet that can calim responsibility for such a massive rise in secular humanism across the world. I mean, 1/3rd of young adults being without religion in the US today? That's a HUGE increase. Reddit's r/atheism is a nice place to explore too, I find.

Personally, I find Reddit's r/atheism to be a pit of pseudo-intellectual, insufferably obnoxious, and ignorant mental teenagers.

The comments section, sure, but the articles posted are rather itneresting actually. My most recent thread is this union I found from reddit

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I think unions are useful for seeing like-minded people, but perhaps a union advocating for the separation of church and state would be more appropriate because it affirms something, rather than negates something, and it's religious related. This union, in effect, can be that union.