RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

The Scouts are discussing changing their code to allow atheists to join as leaders and scouts. They have created a questionnaire to canvas opinion on this possible change to their previously staunch denial of atheists into their movement. I've previously been carping on about the scouts and their rejection of atheists in their organization while they welcome people of any and every faith (as long as they believe in God). Others, like George Pratt, are denied entry for feeling unable to take the scouting oath.

George Pratt - atheist ex-scout 

The scout website says now this on the topic:

Reflecting on the revised Fundamentals

The revised Fundamentals were introduced through two articles, which appeared in the October/November and December/January issues of Scouting magazine. We've asked our members to read and reflect on these and, from today, to give feedback via a survey.

The survey asks whether the revisions mean we'll have to consider adapting other aspects of Scouting, and in particular whether we should introduce an alternative version of the Movement's Promise to accommodate young people and adults who do not have a faith. Doing this would enable the Movement to increase its diversity and embrace more communities than ever before.

Is there appetite for a new version of the Promise?

Alternative versions of the words 'Duty to God' have existed for faith groups such as Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists for more than 40 years, but this is the first time UK Scouting has consulted on an alternative version of the Promise for potential members who are atheists. Regardless of the outcome of the consultation, the existing Scout Promise will continue to be used.

As Wayne Bulpitt, UK Chief Commissioner, explains: 'We are a values-based Movement and exploring faith and religion will remain a key element of the Scouting programme. That will not change. However, throughout our 105-year history, we have continued to evolve so that we remain relevant to communities across the UK.' 

It already seems like a done deal. But you can read and fill in the survey here, just in case!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

When I was in scouts there were plenty of atheist kids

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RationalAtheist

wis3boi

Did you all swear your duty to God at each meeting?  

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

RationalAtheist

Did you all swear your duty to God at each meeting?

Our troop had a few atheists as well (myself among them), and some of us just omitted that part from the oath as we recited it. Although I myself didn't mind it that much and just said it anyway, and nobody seemed to bother those that refused to recite that part of the oath.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist

Our troop had a few atheists as well (myself among them), and some of us just omitted that part from the oath as we recited it. Although I myself didn't mind it that much and just said it anyway, and nobody seemed to bother those that refused to recite that part of the oath.

Blood-Scribe

Perhaps you were fortunate then, or thought fibbing on your oath was not as important as belonging to such a group. Others are not as ambiguous, so I guess it depends where you live and how you approach your beliefs. Atheists and agnostics are supposedly not allowed in US scouts, for the same policy reasons as currently exclude those in England. This goes especially for leaders in the movement.

Baden-Powell wtote this in "Scouting for Boys":

"We aim for the practice of Christianity in their everyday life and dealings, and not merely the profession of theology on Sundays".

"When asked where religion came into Scouting and Guiding, Baden-Powell replied, It does not come in at all. It is already there. It is a fundamental factor underlying Scouting and Guiding." 

From here 

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]

RationalAtheist

Perhaps you were fortunate then, or thought fibbing on your oath was not as important as belonging to such a group.Othersare not as ambiguous, so I guess it depends where you live and how you approach your beliefs. Atheists and agnostics are supposedly not allowed in US scouts, for the same policy reasons as currently exclude those in England. This goes especially for leaders in the movement.

Baden-Powell wtote this in "Scouting for Boys":

"We aim for the practice of Christianity in their everyday life and dealings, and not merely the profession of theology on Sundays".

"When asked where religion came into Scouting and Guiding, Baden-Powell replied, It does not come in at all. It is already there. It is a fundamental factor underlying Scouting and Guiding."

Fromhere

That's the official policy here in the US, yes. Although I would argue that the policy itself is not necessarily the final word on whether or not one's lack of religious adherence gets in the way of scouting. It really depends more on whether or not the scout leaders in the troop have any qualms about allowing an irreligious person into scouting, and in my case it wasn't an issue. I and a few others made it all the way to the rank of eagle despite openly admitting our lack of religious affiliation.

Of course, this may vary depending on where you live, as my city is very liberal despite being in the middle of Texas. But the point is that the policy is only as effective as the scout leaders at the local level allow it to be. I definitely have issues with the discriminatory practices that the organization allows regarding the acceptance homosexuals and non-theists, and I think that they should be revised as such. But as it stands, it's certainly not impossible to have a fulfilling experience in scouting despite these policies.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

RationalAtheist

Did you all swear your duty toGodat each meeting?

nope