dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts
There are two franchises that I know of that have religions in them-- Halo and the Elder Scrolls. What games do you know of that have religions in them? which one is your favorite?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Tales of Symphonia had an amazing story, and it struck me at one point that its presentation of the dominant religion in the world bore some rather strong resemblances to Marx's view on religion.

The Breath of Fire series also typically has the protagonists combatting the members of a religion, too (with the final boss often being that religion's deity, to boot).

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
That's easy, my favourite game of all time... Final Fantasy X.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Many games have religious components on them though not always explicit.  As Domatron23 points out Final Fantasy X certainly has a religious component but so would the other Final Fantasy games.  Final Fantasy VII, for example, very much has an Avatar-esk religion in which God and nature are very much intertwined.  Final Fantasy IX has a very similar religious theme to it.

Warcraft/World of Warcraft features the Light, an impersonal force that seems to resemble the Force from Star Wars at times and other times is almost theistic in nature.  Having a priesthood and churches gives an almost Christian feel as well.  There are also various other religious types within Warcraft such as the Native American-esk Tauren, Voodoo-esk Trolls, etc.

There are plenty of other games with religions such as Dragon Age: Origins (at one point two of the characters actually get into a theological debate over the existence of God), Diablo, Mass Effect (various alien religions), Xenosaga/Xenogears, Black & White, Civilization, etc. etc.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

In Bayonetta, I play a witch powered by the forces of darkness - fighting against angels and engaging other servants of heaven in mind-numbing combat.

Bayonetta

I use my hair as clothing, or for special attacks on celestial enemies. My hair-clothing disappears during special attacks and re-constitutes itself to form a brutal weapon that finishes the guardians of heaven. I have not finished it yet, so don't know if there's some plot twist that restores the good triumphing over evil balance that the game currently lacks.

Bayonetta has some of the most intense, crazy, migraine-inducing graphics I've seen on this generation.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

^

I'm kind of entrenched in my love for the first Devil May Cry (another game that uses religion) to have played Bayonetta. I'll be giving it a go at some point though because I've heard such good things about the combat system.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

^

I'm kind of entrenched in my love for the first Devil May Cry (another game that uses religion) to have played Bayonetta. I'll be giving it a go at some point though because I've heard such good things about the combat system.

domatron23

I can't recommend it enough (although I did hear the PS3 version did have some problems at launch).- It's the next evolution of DMC. I bought the Brady guide on a recommendation from Amazon and that's amazing too - 430 pages! The game has a really detailed combo system, but thankfully also has a button mashing settings for the sausage-fingered and scorched-retina'd .

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
This is actually a topic I am considering for my Masters. There is religion in a whole bunch of video games...

Assassin's Creed series, Castlevania series, Dante's Inferno, Dead Space, God of War, Guild Wars, Fallout 3, Odin Sphere, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and the Thief series are what I can think of right now... plus the already mentioned examples.

Though... actually crafting a Masters thesis from this would be incredibly difficult, not only due to the simplicity of most of the religions themselves (not many of them have actual theologies, or any kind of textual basis for the teachings), but trying to convince the academic community of video games' validity on the level of fiction, or especially real-world religions would be an almost impossible task.

EDIT: Wow... I'm tired today. *looks at sig O_O*

Prince of Persia as well. If there was any game I would use as the keystone to my thesis, it would be PoP 2008. Its use of Zoroastrianism goes to a level that no other game can touch. It has built every aspect of the tradition into every nook and cranny in the game, from the story, to the characters, to even the art and world design (the bleak and washed out corrupted zones compared to the colourful healed zones representing the symbolism between Angra Mainyu and Ahura Mazda).

EDIT2: To anyone interested, I updated my "is there an atheist dogma" post, again. Some might find it surprising.