Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Anti-God is anti-American.

The United States was not founded on the Christian religion as stated in the Treaty of Tripoli and it prohibits respecting any establishment of religion, but ever since the U.S. Civil War, when "In God We Trust" appeared on coins and "under God" was inserted into the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance, that has (sort of) changed. Granted, these references to God are not explicit to which god it is referring to, although we can assume that it is a monotheistic God, given the capitalized "g". Therefore, this is a loss to atheists and polytheists who do not believe in a singular God or some variation of one. In fact, "In God We Trust" implies that all U.S. citizens believe in God, and if U.S. citizens must  believe in God, then therefore atheists and polytheists should be deported or killed to stay consistent within their own motto. Of course, monotheists won't admit this, although this lack of literal interpretation is akin to when Christian moderates interpret the book of Genesis symbolically. (I'd argue that no Christian interprets the Bible literally, because it's impossible with the contradictions and absurdities in the so called holy book.)

I have decided that as much I love being in the U.S., I don't feel welcomed here, and that I will leave when I am financially independent and can afford a change in the environment. Either that, or I will try to obtain some political position that will allow me to help change the motto. I will probably do the latter. Am I being too radical on this issue? I think I am, just because I don't rebel against Christmas, but it's not the government that runs Christmas. It's the free market. This issue is specifically pro-government when it shouldn't be.

Even from a monotheists' perspective, I don't see the significance of having God everywhere. You can't materialize God. That goes against the nature of God. It reduces the significance of God if he does exist. Of course, I'm not a monotheist, so that perspective is invalid.

What are your thoughts? Should atheists and polytheists do something about this or should just leave entirely?

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Whatever happened to freedom of religion?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Oh my that thing up there is so absurd, that its hilarious!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If any of that is taken out, you can expect some serious, violent repercussions.

I personally find religious discrimination despicable... and its commonality in the American public mindset disgusting. The fact that atheists are hated more than Muslims, homosexuals and illegal immigrants confuses me. Are people that ignorant of atheism that they can actually discriminate and be bigoted that highly?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Hmm the poll doesn't seem to be working for me. In any case though I would have voted for "They should deal with it. It's fine the way it is."

Now granted I've never been to America so maybe I'm making that statement from a sheltered point of view. Nevertheless something as silly as a motto shouldn't be grounds for you wanting to leave the country. When America becomes a flat out theocracy and starts to actively discriminate against atheists (or starts deporting and killing them) then you might become worried. For now though it's not a big deal. You're not some downtrodden segment of society, you're just an atheist.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Interesting stuff. In England, the Monarch is also head of the Church of England - by virtue. The C of E to take a role in legislation here (i.e. the sex education reforms in UK news today were established by an unelected committee of C of E, Catholic adherents and educators.) 

Christian religion is so culturally and historically ingrained in most societies that a country offering "Separation of Church and State" would seem appealing. I suppose France, Sweden, Norway and Finland are pretty secular in Europe, but places like Switzerland have (practically) compulsory automatic 6% earnings tithing at source! Which gets me asking: Where are you thinking of going to?

Unless I've read your survey options incorrectly, aren't there another options too, i.e, move to a US area where your views are shared, and/or question the establishment view with the aim of promoting rationalism/naturalism/your view where it is needed most?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The United States was not founded on the Christian religion as stated in the Treaty of Tripoli and it prohibits respecting any establishment of religion, but ever since the U.S. Civil War, when "In God We Trust" appeared on coins and "under God" was inserted into the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance, that has (sort of) changed.

Genetic_Code

Whoa, whoa, hold on here - although "In God We Trust" was indeed added to coins after the Civil War, it didn't become the official US motto, and "under God" wasn't added to the Pledge of Allegiance, until the 1950s as basically a cynical gesture to pit the godly Americans against the godless communists.

At any rate, even if I were an atheist or polytheist, I wouldn't tell them what they should do, because how would I know what they want? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Whoa, whoa, hold on here - although "In God We Trust" was indeed added to coins after the Civil War, it didn't become the official US motto, and "under God" wasn't added to the Pledge of Allegiance, until the 1950s as basically a cynical gesture to pit the godly Americans against the godless communists.GabuEx

Actually, "In God We Trust" was added in 1864, during the Civil War, and I was using the Civil War as just a starting point when God started mixing into the government.

At any rate, even if I were an atheist or polytheist, I wouldn't tell them what they should do, because how would I know what they want?GabuEx

Who's "them"? The government or the atheists/polytheists?

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
Considering that it has been in place over 50 years, just deal with it. Unless actual discriminatory action is brought against atheists I will remain in the U.S. Otherwise I'll buy a lake house in Canada and pretend to be a Christian. But having those phrases removed would be a nice experience. :) The world is shifting away from Christianity anyhow. In the next quarter millenium Atheism could very well become the strongest belief.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ghoklebutter
I think being picky about "In God We Trust" is as ridiculous as being picky about evolution taught in schools.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I think being picky about "In God We Trust" is as ridiculous as being picky about evolution taught in schools.ghoklebutter

It's the principle more than anything else I guess.

Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
I have to facepalm when I see that billboard. There is little else one can do except facepalming.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Eh, I think it should be changed, but it's not worth the hassle (i.e. the violent opposition by the religious right).
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Chessmaster,

Re your sig: 

Is that an evangelist praying at the alter of rock in your sig, or just some very phatt bling?

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghoklebutter

Chessmaster,

Re your sig: 

Is that an evangelist praying at the alter of rock in your sig, or just some very phatt bling?

RationalAtheist

Oh that's just the guitarist from the metal band Black Sabbath: Tommy Iommi. He just wears that cross for the hell of it. :P

woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts

Anti-God is Anti-American. - LOL non-sequitur

Anti-American is treason.

therefore, Anti-God is treason. Are we still living in medieval ages?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Chessmaster,

Re your sig: 

RationalAtheist

It's Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath. He and Ozzy both wear crosses.

chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts

those are on there because the majority of our population and almost ALL of our government are christian of some kind.

once that changes, then i will have an issue to such things as god being mentioned on the pledge of alliegance and on coins.

we are a nation governed by the majority, and as such things that represent us as a country(flag, national anthem) will represent the majority's views. 

i see no real issue to this. i mean come on if you are a strong atheist, just say it anyways. you always know that you are right in that a christian god does not exist, and that is all that matters.