I'm getting Ray Comfort's email address, what should I send him?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

So today Ray comfort was doing a talk for one of the Christian societies in my university (for those who don't know Ray Comfort he's the "banana guy"). It was allright, he didn't get into any of his ridiculous evolution arguments it was mostly just his life story and some stuff about God's moral law and the human conscience. I wanted to heckle him and ask some questions but it was more of a lecture than an open discussion so I couldn't get a word in.

What I did manage to get though was an opportunity to acquire his email address. I couldn't ask him but I asked the host of the event and she said she'd email it to me.

So I'm going to start emailing him when I get it and if he responds I'll post his replies here. Is there anything you reckon I should write?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Depends; do you want serious statements/questions or just lighthearted heckling material?
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Ask him to explain the pineapple.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domatron23

Depends; do you want serious statements/questions or just lighthearted heckling material?GabuEx

I figure I might as well start with a proper discussion and then develop it into outright trolling when I get bored.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Depends; do you want serious statements/questions or just lighthearted heckling material?domatron23

I figure I might as well start with a proper discussion and then develop it into outright trolling when I get bored.

Well, then you could start with the basics - ask, if evolution is false:

1. Why all life on Earth is interconnected through an increasingly large number of common traits the closer together taxonomically two animals are;

2. What, specially, allows microevolution but prevents macroevolution (or, if he denies even microevolution, how he explains superbugs that have grown to have an immunity to certain antibiotics);

3. If the answer to #2 is "evolution can only happen within species", whether he can even define what a species is and how an animal is classified as a separate species or as a subspecies;

4. Why there have been hundreds of fossils of animals for which paleontologists could not figure out which class of animal to place it into, considering the fossils simultaneously displayed traits of two; and

5. Why the diversity in species borne out through the fossil record becomes more diverse the closer the fossils are dated to the present day (i.e., why life became more complex as time elapsed).

If his answer to any of these is something questioning radiometric dating, then you can ask:

6. Why, when there are over forty different dating methods, they all arrive at the same date (within a few percentage points) when dating the same thing (including tree rings and ice cores);

7. Why radiometric dating has successfully dated lavas of a historically known age; and

8. If he raises the idea that we don't know the half-life has been constant throughout history, why anything exists at all, considering that half-life is as fundamental a property as mass or electric charge (and we know that creationists always note that the universe would fall apart if every single property were not defined just so).

And, just for kicks:

9. Whether he is aware of the fact that the banana bears minimal resemblance to the way it initially was, and indeed has gotten to where it is today through thousands of years of selective farming at the hands of humans (indeed, a wild, uncultivated banana looks like this); and

10. How he explains the coconut, the pineapple, and the tendency of an orange to squirt you in the eye when fumbling around in an attempt to peel it due to the fact that it has no "tab" whatsoever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

I dunno :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23

Good list there Gabu although I feel like it would be kind of inappropriate to give him an email full of evolution stuff when he didn't mention anything about it in his presentation. He talked mostly about death being "the wages of sin" and about the ten commandments and how they relate to the conscience.

Oh by the way I think those questions would be excellent to ask here.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The banana guy???? :lol:

I have seen him on youtube. :P He is so funny.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GabuEx

Good list there Gabu although I feel like it would be kind of inappropriate to give him an email full of evolution stuff when he didn't mention anything about it in his presentation. He talked mostly about death being "the wages of sin" and about the ten commandments and how they relate to the conscience.

domatron23

Well, this is why you should tell us what kind of questions you want. :P

Oh by the way I think those questions would be excellent to ask here.

domatron23

Ugh, thanks but no thanks. No offense to anyone, but I've had my fill of engaging in debates where the main tactic employed by the opposition is nothing more than constant misrepresentation on multiple levels - misrepresentation of the topic being discussed, misrepresentation of evidence in favor of the other position, and misrepresentation of people who support the other position. A debate is fine if all parties can agree on the basic facts, but if that isn't even the case, there's no way anything productive could ever come from it. At least in OT I can hope to bring information to people who may be silently observing the debate; in a more private union setting I'd just be bashing my head against a brick wall. I've led the horse to water, but it ain't drinking.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teenaged

Ugh, thanks but no thanks. No offense to anyone, but I've had my fill of engaging in debates where the main tactic employed by the opposition is nothing more than constant misrepresentation on multiple levels - misrepresentation of the topic being discussed, misrepresentation of evidence in favor of the other position, and misrepresentation of people who support the other position. At least in OT I can hope to bring information to people who may be silently observing the debate; in a more private union setting I'd just be bashing my head against a brick wall. I've led the horse to water, but it ain't drinking.

GabuEx
Ha, nice metaphor! :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GabuEx

Ha, nice metaphor! :PTeenaged

I can't exactly take credit for it; "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" is a very common English cliche. :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Ha, nice metaphor! :PGabuEx

I can't exactly take credit for it; "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" is a very common English cliche. :P

Good nonetheless. :P
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
Ask him whether he was on crack when he came up withe the banana analogy.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

Was he also the guy who opened the jar of peanut butter saying that it hadn't spontaneously turned into living organisms? In that case, tell him your peanut butter turned into a pigeon or something.

Or say that you ate a banana that was shaped like a porcupine and was hard as steal.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

Was he also the guy who opened the jar of peanut butter saying that it hadn't spontaneously turned into living organisms? In that case, tell him your peanut butter turned into a pigeon or something.

Or say that you ate a banana that was shaped like a porcupine and was hard as steal.

helium_flash

Your sarcasm has an Aussie tone to it:D I take it your a yank though?
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 helium_flash
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

THUMPTABLE

Indeed I'm a "yank." You seem to be obviously an ozzie (?) :P
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 domatron23

helium_flash

Nah that was someone else.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

helium_flash

Indeed I'm a "yank." You seem to be obviously an ozzie (?) :P

I don't hold that against you mate:P Yeah Aussies love to take the piss.
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

Ask him questions about the very thing he is most famous for. Yep, I'm talking about the incredible banana... Let's see what he really has to say about it and if it's not too much try throwing pineapple and coconut into the mix as well.

Hopefully he isn't hating fruits by now...:P

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 helium_flash
I support 7guns' proposal. BTW why is this guy in New Zealand?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 domatron23
Bah the girl I asked never emailed me his address. Humbug.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

Bah the girl I asked never emailed me his address. Humbug.domatron23

I have his officially public address. Officially made public to everyone in the public. (Don't ban me GS mods) I could give it to you if you like, but I doubt you will get a response.

Shameless plug warning

I've been working a little project to address those creationism resource sites you see in the forums. You know when somebody posts fifty links at once and expects you to address all of them at once? I wanted to be able to address all of the links by just posting another link. Anyway his "pull the plug on atheism series is the first resource set I've started to work on. I'm almost done with it and when I finish, I want to send him a link to see if I get a response.  

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

Shameless plug warning

I've been working a little project to address those creationism resource sites you see in the forums. You know when somebody posts fifty links at once and expects you to address all of them at once? I wanted to be able to address all of the links by just posting another link. Anyway his "pull the plug on atheism series is the first resource set I've started to work on. I'm almost done with it and when I finish, I want to send him a link to see if I get a response.

Frattracide

You are a valiant, valiant man. :P I applaud you.

That's largely why I take the time to make long, long posts, though - that way, if the matter ever gets brought up again, I'll have already done all the work and I can just say "lol, already answered".