warrenmats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

User Lists: 0

#1 warrenmats
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

in christian views, they say the devil "punshes" evil people.

wtf isnt the devil evil him self, and if he is evil, why would he torcher other sinfl people it doesnt make any damn sence

i thought the devil likes evil people

thats on reason im athiest

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

In Christian views, they say the devil "punishes" evil people.

Wtf! Isn't the devil evil him self, and if he is evil, why would he torture other sinful people? It doesnt make any damn sense.

I thought the devil likes evil people.

Thats one reason i'm an athiest.

warrenmats

I don't think the devil punishes anyone according to Christian theology, God is the only one who judges and doles out the punishments. The devil just tortures whoever he wants because he's just that much of a dick. Look at it this way, the devil hates God so much that he's going to inflict as much pain as he can on his creations.

I don't think there's any inconsistency here.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

That's not really correct.  In the Book of Revelation, the Bible says that the devil is tormented in the lake of burning sulfur too (Revelation 20:10).  It also says that people "will be tormented ... in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb (that is, Jesus)" (Revelation 14:10), indicating that the devil is not the one doing the punishing, either.  The Bible basically says that the devil is one who deceives humans and causes them to turn against God, but that God is the one who punishes them for failing to stay the course.

The reality of the text of the Bible is a far cry away from the eternal torture chamber that so many preach about, though.  The Bible was originally written in Greek and Hebrew (the New Testament having been written in the former and the Old Testament in the latter).  Translators have done their best to preserve the full and accurate sense of the original text, but differences between Greek and Hebrew and English have made doing so perfectly effectively completely impossible.

One reason for this is the fact that words in some of the original language just flat-out don't have words in English that carry with it the exact same sense - there are some that are approximations, but they often leave out key subtleties that are not picked up in the English.  An example of this is the Greek word used to describe the punishment that sinners will receive.  In English, the word is simply "punishment", but in Greek, the word is kolasis, which does describe a punishment, but it carries with it the additional information that it is a corrective punishment whose ultimate goal is an improvement in the one receiving it.  This is worlds apart from another Greek word timoria, which also translates into English as "punishment", but it carries with it the additional information that it is a vengeful punishment whose only goal is to cause the person receiving it to suffer.

I don't think it's any accident that the word kolasis was used in lieu of timoria - the former is not in any way compatible with the idea of an eternal torture chamber, and indeed that is not at all what the Bible says or what the earliest Christians believed.  There is ample historical evidence that, until the Latin translation of the Bible rose to prominence (which did contain the erronous translation of "eternal punishment"), the vast majority of Christians believed that hell was a place of temporary purification and that all souls would eventually be reconciled with God.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

That's not really correct.  In the Book of Revelation, the Bible says that the devil is tormented in the lake of burning sulfur too (Revelation 20:10).  It also says that people "will be tormented ... in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb (that is, Jesus)" (Revelation 14:10), indicating that the devil is not the one doing the punishing, either.  The Bible basically says that the devil is one who deceives humans and causes them to turn against God, but that God is the one who punishes them for failing to stay the course.

The reality of the text of the Bible is a far cry away from the eternal torture chamber that so many preach about, though.  The Bible was originally written in Greek and Hebrew (the New Testament having been written in the former and the Old Testament in the latter).  Translators have done their best to preserve the full and accurate sense of the original text, but differences between Greek and Hebrew and English have made doing so perfectly effectively completely impossible.

One reason for this is the fact that words in some of the original language just flat-out don't have words in English that carry with it the exact same sense - there are some that are approximations, but they often leave out key subtleties that are not picked up in the English.  An example of this is the Greek word used to describe the punishment that sinners will receive.  In English, the word is simply "punishment", but in Greek, the word is kolasis, which does describe a punishment, but it carries with it the additional information that it is a corrective punishment whose ultimate goal is an improvement in the one receiving it.  This is worlds apart from another Greek word timoria, which also translates into English as "punishment", but it carries with it the additional information that it is a vengeful punishment whose only goal is to cause the person receiving it to suffer.

I don't think it's any accident that the word kolasis was used in lieu of timoria - the former is not in any way compatible with the idea of an eternal torture chamber, and indeed that is not at all what the Bible says or what the earliest Christians believed.  There is ample historical evidence that, until the Latin translation of the Bible rose to prominence (which did contain the erronous translation of "eternal punishment"), the vast majority of Christians believed that hell was a place of temporary purification and that all souls would eventually be reconciled with God.

GabuEx

I agree with the first paragraph, which is pretty much my view on the subject. But I strongly disagree with the rest of your post. Eternal punishment is taught all throughout Scripture, in contexts where it can mean nothing other than forever. 

It is correct that words have been altered slightly from their original meaning in places. However, the doctrine presented, and the faith produced by it, is sound doctrine and divinely-taught faith. Some passages may not be exactly rendered, but there is no instance where the truth is actually misrepresented by the translation. God clearly meant to produce on the mind of the reader the conviction that eternal misery is the punishment for the wicked. He did not mean to produce the conviction of a lie, and would never allow His Word to frighten anybody with that which was not True.

There are a number of circumstances in Scripture where verses certainly contradict what Universalism asserts. Everlasting hell is often contrasted with eternal life; if they go into one, they do not go into the other. If it was true that eternal punishment was not taught (as the same Greek phrase is used for both) it would mean that eternal life was not taught either. This would be in direct conflict with why Jesus came to Earth in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

I blame the simpsons for this myth that the devil is the ruler of Hell, that and the movie Hercules.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GabuEx

I agree with the first paragraph, which is pretty much my view on the subject. But I strongly disagree with the rest of your post. Eternal punishment is taught all throughout Scripture, in contexts where it can mean nothing other than forever. 

It is correct that words have been altered slightly from their original meaning in places. However, the doctrine presented, and the faith produced by it, is sound doctrine and divinely-taught faith. Some passages may not be exactly rendered, but there is no instance where the truth is actually misrepresented by the translation. God clearly meant to produce on the mind of the reader the conviction that eternal misery is the punishment for the wicked. He did not mean to produce the conviction of a lie, and would never allow His Word to frighten anybody with that which was not True.

There are a number of circumstances in Scripture where verses certainly contradict what Universalism asserts. Everlasting hell is often contrasted with eternal life; if they go into one, they do not go into the other. If it was true that eternal punishment was not taught (as the same Greek phrase is used for both) it would mean that eternal life was not taught either. This would be in direct conflict with why Jesus came to Earth in the first place.

Lansdowne5

In the interest of not derailing yet another thread onto this subject, I think it'd be best, if you really want to debate this issue, to create a new thread.  God knows no one but us cares about this stuff by this point in time. :P

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

wtf isnt the devil evil him self, and if he is evil, why would he torcher other sinfl people it doesnt make any damn sence

warrenmats
I think the devil does punish them because the devil wants to show the people in hell if you want to be evil then you have to accept some consequences.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lansdowne5
[QUOTE="warrenmats"]

SSBFan12

I think the devil does punish them because the devil wants to show the people in hell if you want to be evil then you have to accept some consequences.

That's not what the Christian belief states......

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

GabuEx

In the interest of not derailing yet another thread onto this subject, I think it'd be best, if you really want to debate this issue, to create a new thread.  God knows no one but us cares about this stuff by this point in time. :P

I'm interested.

jehuty12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jehuty12
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

warrenmats

Modern Christianity has evolved to use the devil and hell as a threat, irregardless of the original meaning and intent of the bible.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lansdowne5

Modern Christianity has evolved to use the devil and hell as a threat, irregardless of the original meaning and intent of the bible.

jehuty12

Care to prove that assertion? I do not consider it a "threat" to warn someone of what will happen to them according to your belief if you reject God.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

Care to prove that assertion? I do not consider it a "threat" to warn someone of what will happen to them according to your belief if you reject God.Lansdowne5

It's entirely historically accurate, really, although things are perhaps slowly coming full circle in modern days.  If you combine the idea of eternal damnation with the idea that the Church was the ultimate authority on Christianity and God, it's no wonder why belief in eternal damnation was stoked so heavily by the newly Christian Roman Empire.  It was extremely convenient for those in charge to have the masses believe that opposing religious authorities was the same as opposing God, and that opposing God meant eternal punishment in hell.  Prior to universalism being declared a punishable heresy and the Latin Vulgate becoming the officially sanctioned Bible of the Church, there is ample evidence that the majority of Christians adhered to it in the form of recorded writings that I have reproduced many times over.

The ultimate fact of the matter is that the doctrine of eternal punishment was a tool of the powerful to keep the masses in order, nothing more.  If it were truly in the Bible in its original form, it wouldn't have taken humans five hundred years to figure out what the Bible really said.

Indecipherable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Indecipherable
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts

An example of this is the Greek word used to describe the punishment that sinners will receive.  In English, the word is simply "punishment", but in Greek, the word is kolasis, which does describe a punishment, but it carries with it the additional information that it is a corrective punishment whose ultimate goal is an improvement in the one receiving it.  This is worlds apart from another Greek word timoria, which also translates into English as "punishment", but it carries with it the additional information that it is a vengeful punishment whose only goal is to cause the person receiving it to suffer.

GabuEx

Being Greek, I would once again like to confirm Gabu's statement concerning these two words. I also agree that "eternal damnation" was and is still being used as a threat to keep the masses under control and serve as a tool, so that those holding high ranks in the Church, are also highly ranked as citizens, thus gaining political power.

Finally, as for what "the devil" and "Hell" really mean, the explanation I liked the most, which I heard from my Religion lesson (doesn't let me use the word c*ass :S) teacher, was that the devil is actually the temptation to do harm and "Heaven" and "Hell" actually mean to spend eternity in the presence or away from God, respectively. Don't you think that a lifetime (75 years on average) of sins or good actions is improportionate to AN ETERNITY of bliss or punishment????

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="jehuty12"]

Lansdowne5

Care to prove that assertion? I do not consider it a "threat" to warn someone of what will happen to them according to your belief if you reject God.

'Believe in God or you'll suffer forever' sounds pretty threatening to me.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts
Wouldn't a Greek/Hebrew copy of the Bible have largely, if not exactly the same words as the original? Couldn't this issue be solved by cracking open one of those?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GabuEx

Wouldn't a Greek/Hebrew copy of the Bible have largely, if not exactly the same words as the original? Couldn't this issue be solved by cracking open one of those?AlternatingCaps

Well, technically speaking we don't have any copies of the true "original" copies of the books in the Bible, so we can't say for certain what they say.  But we do have some very old manuscripts that we have no reason to believe have been substantially altered from the original incarnation of the text.

What issue are you wanting to solve?  I could probably look at it based on the closest thing we have to the original Greek or Hebrew.

AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlternatingCaps

Well, technically speaking we don't have any copies of the true "original" copies of the books in the Bible, so we can't say for certain what they say.  But we do have some very old manuscripts that we have no reason to believe have been substantially altered from the original incarnation of the text.

GabuEx

Gotcha.

What issue are you wanting to solve?  I could probably look at it based on the closest thing we have to the original Greek or Hebrew.

GabuEx

The issue I meant was the one of eternal, vengeful vs. corrective punishment that was being discussed above. I just now realized that those weren't recent posts.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

The issue I meant was the one of eternal, vengeful vs. corrective punishment that was being discussed above. I just now realized that those weren't recent posts.

AlternatingCaps

Well, pretty much anyone who knows two languages will know that no two languages are identical.  There are many words in one language that have no true counterparts in another.  One of the things that makes the Greek used in the original New Testament such a beautiful language is that it has no synonyms.  If there are two words that on the surface mean the same thing, it's guaranteed that they will represent two different senses of the concept in actuality.

The kolasis/timoria pair is a good example of this.  Both words are translated into English as "punishment", but they do not at all mean the same thing.  One refers to the punishment that a parent would give to a misbehaving child; the other refers more to the Inigo Montoya "you killed my father; prepare to die" sort of punishment.

I don't want anyone to take my word for it, which is why I encourage anyone interested to study it themselves.  One cannot truly understand the Bible without having an understanding of the original language in which the New and Old Testaments were written, as there is always somethign lost in translation.

AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AlternatingCaps

Oh, uh, I totally understood the concept, you didn't have to explain it. Lord knows how many French expressions I've needed explained to me in class. Guess I just worded my replies badly. I appreciate the effort, though.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GabuEx

Oh, uh, I totally understood the concept, you didn't have to explain it. Lord knows how many French expressions I've needed explained to me in class. Guess I just worded my replies badly. I appreciate the effort, though.

AlternatingCaps

Oh, haha, I thought you were inquiring about how one might solve that issue.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

The suffering one experiences in hell is just the grief from being completely cut-off from God. For the record, the absence of God also means hell is devoid of energy which is why hell was originally portrayed a dark place covered in ice. The whole fire and brimestone portrayl was invented by evangelical preachers during the first great awakening because as it turns out people are scared more by the thought of burning alive than being really, really cold.

Anyway, it's doubtful that people would get tortured by demons in hell considering that demons and the devil wouldn't want to be doing God's dirty work (they entire reason they're in hell is because they tried to overthrow God don't forget). Now maybe due to the fact that we look like God the demons/devil might take out some pent-up aggression on human souls, but who knows. Personally I'd be willing to say that there isn't too much pent-up aggression seeing as how the Old Testament describes how demons were fornicating with human women during early human history (and in the process created an angel/human hybrid race known as the nephilim, of which Goliath was a descendant).

Not that I believe any of this, but Christian mythology is pretty interesting stuff.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

The suffering one experiences in hell is just the grief from being completely cut-off from God. For the record, the absence of God also means hell is devoid of energy which is why hell was originally portrayed a dark place covered in ice. The whole fire and brimestone portrayl was invented by evangelical preachers during the first great awakening because as it turns out people are scared more by the thought of burning alive than being really, really cold.

gameguy6700

Out of curiosity, where are you getting that from?  The Book of Revelation pretty clearly details not only burning sulfur, but also that those in hell are "in the presence of the Lamb".  This isn't something just in the English, either; the Greek is the same.

I have my own thoughts regarding what this is all about, but it seems pretty clear that fire and brimstone and all that are right in the Bible.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

GabuEx

Out of curiosity, where are you getting that from?  The Book of Revelation pretty clearly details not only burning sulfur, but also that those in hell are "in the presence of the Lamb".  This isn't something just in the English, either; the Greek is the same.

I have my own thoughts regarding what this is all about, but it seems pretty clear that fire and brimstone and all that are right in the Bible.

Yeah, but that's after God seals off Hell for eternity by casting it into a pit of fire, right? Considering that hasn't happened yet I'd assume that Hell isn't on fire. Anyway, I've heard the "Hell is being cut off from God" thin from countless people, and the whole idea of Hell being frozen over is something I've gotten from a few sources, none of which I can remember, although I do remember at least one explaining that that was why when you read Inferno Hell is depicted as getting more and more frozen over the closer Dante gets to Satan.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GabuEx

Yeah, but that's after God seals off Hell for eternity by casting it into a pit of fire, right?  Considering that hasn't happened yet I'd assume that Hell isn't on fire.

gameguy6700

Not to my knowledge.  In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31), Jesus describes the rich man in hell as being in "fire".  Hell is described as a lake of burning sulfur before it is cast into the lake of fire.  I know of no description of hell in the Bible that does not describe torment and fire and all that jazz.

I should note that it's not really accurate (from my reading, at any rate) to say that hell is "seal(ed) off ... for eternity" when it's cast into the lake of fire.  The lake of fire is described as the "second death", and in addition to hell, death itself is also cast into the lake of fire.  The second death, thus, is to my reading the death of death itself, as prophecized in 1 Corinthians 15:26 - far from sealing off hell for eternity, it marks the time at which hell serves no further purpose.

Anyway, I've heard the "Hell is being cut off from God" thin from countless people, and the whole idea of Hell being frozen over is something I've gotten from a few sources, none of which I can remember, although I do remember at least one explaining that that was why when you read Inferno Hell is depicted as getting more and more frozen over the closer Dante gets to Satan.

gameguy6700

To be honest I'm not really sure where that depiction of hell came from, because I can't really find any Biblical basis for it.

Of course, I also don't much care for the depiction of hell as a place where people just burn alive for all eternity either.  One thing people must understand is that the selection of sulfur (brimstone) as the thing that is burning in hell is very likely not just a random selection, but a very purposeful one - in the days of the writing of the New Testament books (and for quite a while thereafter), burning sulfur was used as a purification agent, used to fumigate infirmaries and ward off disease.  Between that and the fact that the people in hell are said to be in the presence of the Lamb, I can't imagine that that is accidental.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Anyway, it's doubtful that people would get tortured by demons in hell considering that demons and the devil wouldn't want to be doing God's dirty work (they entire reason they're in hell is because they tried to overthrow God don't forget). Now maybe due to the fact that we look like God the demons/devil might take out some pent-up aggression on human souls, but who knows.gameguy6700
I have always assumed that the reason demons and devils torture human souls is because they enjoy doing it... they are supposed to be evil after all.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

I have always assumed that the reason demons and devils torture human souls is because they enjoy doing it... they are supposed to be evil after all.ChiliDragon

Do they actually torture human souls? From what I've read in the Bible, it seems to be the case that the devil is said to be tormented alongside human souls. (Revelation 20:10)

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I have always assumed that the reason demons and devils torture human souls is because they enjoy doing it... they are supposed to be evil after all.GabuEx

Do they actually torture human souls? From what I've read in the Bible, it seems to be the case that the devil is said to be tormented alongside human souls. (Revelation 20:10)

I think that depends on which branch of the Christian mythology you ask... if you've ever seen the movie Dogma, it takes the approach that the greatest punishment for the ex-angels in Hell is that they are away from God, and that is their torture. Or, in the words of Bartleby, "Ours was designed to be a life of servitude and worship -- adoration. But He gave the humans more - He gave them a choice. They can choose to ignore God, choose to acknowledge Him. All this time we've been down here, everyday I felt the absence of the Divine presence. And it pained me... as I'm sure it must have pained you sometimes, even though you'd gloss over it with jokes. But we feel his absence, and why? Because of the way He made us, as servants. Had we been given free will, we could ignore the pain... like them." One of the few great performances Ben Affleck has ever delivered. :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GabuEx

I think that depends on which branch of the Christian mythology you ask... if you've ever seen the movie Dogma, it takes the approach that the greatest punishment for the ex-angels in Hell is that they are away from God, and that is their torture.

Or, in the words of Bartleby,

"Ours was designed to be a life of servitude and worship -- adoration. But He gave the humans more - He gave them a choice. They can choose to ignore God, choose to acknowledge Him. All this time we've been down here, everyday I felt the absence of the Divine presence. And it pained me... as I'm sure it must have pained you sometimes, even though you'd gloss over it with jokes. But we feel his absence, and why? Because of the way He made us, as servants. Had we been given free will, we could ignore the pain... like them."

One of the few great performances Ben Affleck has ever delivered. :)ChiliDragon

If they all go by the same Bible, then it more depends on what the Bible says than by what any one branch says, doesn't it?

I'm not saying that that's wrong, but I'm unaware of the Biblical basis for that idea. Which is fine is one is wanting to write fiction, but not so much if we're discussing the specifics of the Christian religion; even the loosest adherents would probably say that you can't just make up any old thing and call it Christianity. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChiliDragon

If they all go by the same Bible, then it more depends on what the Bible says than by what any one branch says, doesn't it?

I'm not saying that that's wrong, but I'm unaware of the Biblical basis for that idea. Which is fine is one is wanting to write fiction, but not so much if we're discussing the specifics of the Christian religion; even the loosest adherents would probably say that you can't just make up any old thing and call it Christianity. :P

GabuEx
Well, I agree with you on that. Problem is, I'm not sure the vast majority of "official"churches do....
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GabuEx

Well, I agree with you on that. Problem is, I'm not sure the vast majority of "official"churches do.... ChiliDragon

I think someone should mark down this date, as I have feeling that this may be the only time that we and fundamentalist Christians are actually in agreement on something... :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChiliDragon
Hah! Probably! :D
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lansdowne5

If we want to know what hell is like, let's turn to the source which actually describes it. Here is every single verse of the Bible which refers to hell:

PSA 9:17  The wicked return to the grave, all the nations that forget God.

139:8  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the
depths, you are there.

PRO 5:5  Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.

15:24  The path of life leads upward for the wise to keep him from going
down to the grave.

23:13  Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the
rod, he will not die.

MAT 5:22  But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be
subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is
answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in
danger of the fire of hell.

29  If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It
is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to
be thrown into hell.

30  And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away.
It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body
to go into hell.

7:13  "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the
road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

10:28  Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the
soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in
hell.

13:38  The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the
kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one,

39  and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the
age, and the harvesters are angels.

40  "As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at
the end of the age.

41  The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his
kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.

42  They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be
weeping and gnashing of teeth.

49  This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and
separate the wicked from the righteous

50  and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and
gnashing of teeth.

16:18  And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my
church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

23:15  "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You
travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one,
you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.

33  "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned
to hell?

25:28  "'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten
talents.

29  For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance.
Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

30  And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where
there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

41  "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are
cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

46  "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to
eternal life."

MAR 9:43  If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you
to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire
never goes out

45  And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to
enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.

47  And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you
to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be
thrown into hell,

LUK 12:5  But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the
killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you,
fear him.

16:23  In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far
away, with Lazarus by his side.

24  So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus
to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in
agony in this fire
.'

26  And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed,
so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross
over from there to us.'

2TH 1:9  They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out
from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power

JAM 3:6  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the
body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on
fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

2PE 2:4  For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to
hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;

JUD 1:6  And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but
abandoned their own home--these he has kept in darkness, bound with
everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

REV 1:18  I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever
and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

6:8  I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named
Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over
a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild
beasts of the earth.

9:1  The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen
from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the
Abyss.

2  When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a
gigantic furnace
. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the
Abyss.

14:10  he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured
full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning
sulfur
in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.

11  And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no
rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for
anyone who receives the mark of his name."

19:20  But the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who had
performed the miraculous signs on his behalf. With these signs he had
deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped his
image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning
sulfur

20:10  And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of
burning sulfur
, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They
will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

13  The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up
the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he
had done.

14  Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of
fire
is the second death.

15  If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was
thrown into the lake of fire.

21:8  But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the
sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all
liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the
second death."

PS. Pay particular attention to the bolded lettering.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
^ Quite hot then >_>