deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Atheism is a controversial belief. Many atheists hide their atheism as not to cause strife. Some atheists open up to a family member or a friend or to a close circle of family and friends. Other atheists let their family and friends know where they stand on the issue of religion. Some atheists are famous for their atheism. In the U.S, atheists are most distrusted group. Some atheists may see benefits in closeting their atheism. Others believe that being more open about their atheism will build bridges between atheists and theists.

How open are you with your atheism? Also, do you lie about your atheism or downplay it?

A picture of children saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

I became an atheist in 2007, but I continued to go to church until 2008. I decided to tell a few family members, including my father, that I was an atheist at the beginning of 2009. However, that hasn't stopped my father to request me to say grace before dinner every night. What he asks is irrational, but I can't argue against him, because doing so would make him have fits as evident by how he acts in the past. I once questioned his views on sodomy (which he thinks should be illegal) and I asked for proof on how sodomy was immoral, but instead he launched into this tantrum about how I can't question him for any reason whatsoever. I badgered him why I couldn't question him and telling him that I can question him if he hasn't provided evidence for his argument, but he wouldn't answer that, probably because he had no answer to it. I should've learned then that this man can't be dealt with by reason. As Thomas Paine would say, "To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." I do want to assert my freedom of conscience though, maintaining that I should be allowed to not pray if I so desire, but I'm afraid that this will arouse bitter emotions from him. I brought up before, but he just ignored me completely, which tells me that if I had persisted, he would have gotten angry. The ideal way of handling this situation is simply moving out on my own and not letting him force his beliefs on me.

My mother meanwhile is upset with me about her atheism. According to her, only people who believe in a supreme being goes to heaven. Why she believes that when she picks what she wants to believe from the Bible is so unreasonable. Since she's so ready to let go of the Bible, she could believe that all good people, or all people in general, regardless of what their beliefs of God are, go to heaven, but she chooses to believe in that. Now that I think about it, to cut away religious dogma and substitute your own is simply illogical and inconsiderate to think that I don't deserve heaven while other, less deserving looters do is irreconciable. Not that I'm not a looter myself as I am.

My brother is fine with it, but he gets drunk a lot and likes to bring it up. I simply ignore it. My sister knows I'm not religious, but I don't think she or her husband knows that I'm an atheist. None of my friends know that I'm an athiest that I'm aware of, but I've told a few that I'm not religious. A few of my family members and friends that I don't talk to anymore that are Facebook friends with me might know that I'm an atheist, if they've ever checked my Facebook page, where I've listed "Atheist" under my "Religious Views". I don't lie about my atheism, but I do downplay it.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I don't make any effort or attempt to hide it. I even have "atheism" set as my "reigious views" on facebook so pretty much anyone who adds me on there is going to know. I live in the bible belt too. I haven't ever encountered any prejudace because of my beliefs so I don't really get what other atheists are talking about when they say it's a good idea to keep it a secret.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Does it depend where you are in the States? I'd have thought religion is far less pronounced on the East and West coasts of the US than in the middle. My own atheism has not been tempered much by social complaiance - In the UK, religion is not a popular topic of converstaion anyway.

I grew up in the times of the cold war and with Irish sectarian terrorism. The world seemed doomed - catholics and protestants appeared to wish to blow everyone else up. At 15, I joined a punk band called "Iconoclast" (our logo and stage backdrop was an upside-down cruxifix, smashed in half) who played anti-religion songs. Decades later, I refused the last band I was asked to join, since the singer was a strong Christian.

I think belief systems are important issues that are bound to crop up with people you grow close to, since beliefs in atheism, like religion, give people justification for their actions. If you do want to explore your beliefs objectively, you're going to have to be prepared to discuss them. That's what I think, anyway.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Heh, I think it's a lot easier being an atheist outside of America.. or Pakistan for that matter (nudge, nudge to Gambler). I'm open with my atheism to anyone who asks but I don't make a point of advertising it to people who don't care. On my facebook info page I've put "agnostic strong atheist" under the religious views section.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I'm open about about my atheism, even though it has caused arguments with a few people. I do not openly talk about religion, nor politics, with my friends/family or anyone else, unless they ask me about it. I do not think it is too difficult to be an atheist in Northern Ireland, even though the largest political party (the DUP) is made up of fundamentalist Christians, that have tried to introduce creationism in the Ulster Museum here and as an alternative theory to evolution in schools. Thankfully, the party is not very representative of most people in NI, and have been involved in many scandals. The reasons people vote for the party are because it is strong on the union NI has with Great Britain, and it keeps the equally extreme opposition in check, Sinn Fein.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
I'm open, but quiet about it. If someone asks me I'll tell them, but I don't go out of my way to profess my views in everyday life.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Heh, I think it's a lot easier being an atheist outside of America.. or Pakistan for that matter (nudge, nudge to Gambler).domatron23

It isn't all that hard. I don't blame Christians for not trusting atheists. I blame them for being Christians. This is one of the few instances where Christians are actually doing what the Bible instructs. As I've posted before, Psalm 14:1 says, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." Also, as you know, the Bible condemns Christians from yoking with nonbelievers, atheists being no exception. Why Americans distrust atheists than even Muslims, who should also qualify as being nonbelievers, can be chalked up to the other religious groups in the U.S. that do not trust atheists.

Also, it's important to note that in many other instances, the Bible says that no one is righteous, so you could argue that by the Bible's standards, Christians are just as depraved as atheists. The difference is that Christians are forgiven for theirs sins, where as atheists are not. Honestly, Christians shouldn't trust anyone if they don't think anyone is good.

I do trust many Christians. I just don't trust their religion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I started as a true agnostic (knowing nothing about anything religious, besides what other people believed) and was essentially an atheist my entire life. I was brought to church until I was 4 years old, and only after when there was a funeral. I dabbled in both Buddhism and Hinduism for a time (more recently) but reached a dead end with both. My main issue with religion in general is the reliance on "faith." The idea that we must believe in something "because" and not for reasons that we have discovered for ourselves. Which is the main reason why I have begun labeling myself both an atheist as well as a "gnostic" in that I do not rely on absolute faith or absolute reason, and wish to find my own mystical experiences, and not rely on the assurance of others.

In the "real" world I tend to be completely open about my atheism with anyone who asks. I don't go out of my way to say I'm an atheist, nor do I try to prove atheism right... because as far as I'm concerned it is right, just only to me. Everyone else is entitled to view the world in their own way, and define it in whatever way suits them best. I'm just not going to put any kind of "faith" in anything I believe, and always be critical and sceptical, even when I discover a gnosis.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
Only close friends know. If otherwise, I'll tell them what the law considers me to be.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Well, not being atheist... :P

Kinda depends where I am for how open I am about my beliefs.  Everyone on GameSpot pretty much knows where I am, but I tend to be much less forward about it during one-on-one discussions, mainly out of a desire not to start any pointless conflicts.  If someone's talking about their beliefs in a way that does not really impact me in any way, I usually just let them talk and don't let on that I disagree.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
[...] Kinda depends where I am for how open I am about my beliefs. [...]GabuEx

Humour me... but where is that exactly? I never once thought of you as a traditional, orthodox Christian of any denomination. Not to derail the thread or anything, but I've only really ever got the piecemeal description (or don't remember the whole thing :3).
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#12 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Only a handful of friends know the true extent of my disbelief.

My parents are very well aware of my skepticism but they still dont want me to completely abandon religion and I just play it along. I still participate in congregational prayers at times and all, if I completely abandoned everything then my parents will be very hurt and that to me is just not worth it. Afterall what can they do? My parents also believe that if I dont follow their religion then I am going to hell full stop. So for a father to see their son going to hell and not being able to do anything about it must be a failure of a life ultimately, that's how my father thinks. Regardless of which country I am residing in, as long as my parents are alive I dont think I'll publicly declare myself an all-out atheist.

In pakistan you can be an atheist but you better not try to prove your position. This essentially becomes a huge problem, if you declare yourself an atheist then there will inevitably be raised all sorts of questions and comments and you have to restrain yourself from answering it so basically you'll lose intellectual credibility. Living in pskistan it's not even a question if I'll ever become open about it, it's just not happening. On facebook I had put "agnostic" for a little time and that didnt go along well with a few people and arguments started, ultimately I was running out of the politically correct responses and just gave up and removed that agnostic tag under religious beliefs.

Another problem is that the women I want to marry have very religious parents and I dont want to mess it up due to my atheism, that would really suck. I could care less how religious parents or the other family is of a woman, only she matters as far as I am concerned. And I dont think I can be as happy with a western women as with a typical but educated pakistani women.

Basically the thing is that I may hate my ex-religion and the traditions of my society but I absolutely love the culture and people around and dont want to become an outcast.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"][...] Kinda depends where I am for how open I am about my beliefs. [...]foxhound_fox

Humour me... but where is that exactly? I never once thought of you as a traditional, orthodox Christian of any denomination. Not to derail the thread or anything, but I've only really ever got the piecemeal description (or don't remember the whole thing :3).

Difficult to label, as michaelP4 once found. :P

I consider myself a follower of Jesus, as I consider him, from what we know with a fair degree of certainty about him, to have been a profoundly enlightened individual whose teachings (his real teachings, mind you) absolutely would improve the world were they put into practice by more people.

On the topic of his resurrection, I am open to the possibility that he was the son of God who rose after having been crucified, but I feel that there are explanations that sufficiently account for what we know which do not require such an incredible event to have occurred.  Members of cults have been observed multiple times in the past to have their beliefs strengthened, rather than destroyed, by contradicting facts which cause them to change the narrative to fit these new facts.  Both his resurrection story and the explanation in 2 Peter for his failure to promptly return both bear all the hallmarks, in my opinion, of narratives that were invented after the fact by followers who had to rationalize reality with their beliefs.  One must keep in mind both that the gospels were very likely the final product of orally transmitted sayings and stories and that 2 Peter was almost certainly not written by Peter, and as such, none of them are firsthand accounts of that of which they speak.

I further do not even believe that Jesus presented himself when he was alive to be the son of God and the savior of mankind; rather, I believe he was a radical reform-minded Jew who had nothing but contempt for the prevailing Jewish purity system and the hierarchy in the Judaism of his day.  I feel that the dialog ascribed to Jesus in the gospels in which he presents himself as the son of God was very likely an invention of either the writers or the storytellers that inspired the writers, as there are many things that quite simply do not fit (e.g., Jesus saying in one gospel that the Kingdom of God is temporally near, while saying in another that it is within you).

On a less factual note, I also find the concept quite absurd - though I say this without the intent to offend believers - that an all-powerful God decided that the best way to convey to all humanity his and their true purpose was to have some guys over the course of many centuries write down what he dictated to them or inspired them to write, codify it basically by human committee as the official Word of God, and try and convince everybody else that this was the official truth.  Not only for the logical concerns, but I would also find the idea immensely emotionally troubling, if true, that God would give those people some two thousand years ago a front-row seat to the miracles that led to their belief, but then gave us nothing at all except for the ability to struggle to separate fact from fiction in examining two-thousand-year-old documents.

On the existence of God, I do believe that, based on what we currently know, one cannot sufficiently explain existence without in some form bringing in a creator, as the only other option is "it has always existed", which to me feels like a complete non-answer to the question of why it exists.  On the other hand, however, I am mindful that one can very easily move this up a level and ask what created God, and I do not exactly subscribe to the idea that somehow the answer of "it has always existed" is any more satisfactory when applied to God than when applied to existence.  As a result, I feel that one ultimately finds oneself in an infinite regress when attempting to understand existence, as one finds oneself in the situation where one must either stop and say that something has always existed, or posit the existence of an infinite number of creators.  Because of that I feel that there must be something absolutely fundamental in existence itself that we quite simply do not understand, which renders ultimately useless any attempt to understand it.

I do also feel that there are certain oddities in the world that seem not to fit within the framework of natural selection, such as persistent levels of love and contentedness that seem to me to be entirely unnecessary for survival and reproduction - but, on the other hand, I recognize that this is woefully subjective and based purely on my own experience, and I also recognize that there are certainly other terrible things that one could point to that would certainly seem to cancel out any sense of divine loving guidance.

On the existence of an afterlife, I do believe, based on thought experiments like as the ones I presented here a while back, that consciousness cannot be explained or accounted for in its entirety simply through one's physical body, as I do not believe that this sufficiently accounts for the singularity of one's perception of a conscious existence, especially when one has (for example) an identical twin.  I therefore cannot agree with those who state quite confidently that our physical bodies are the full and complete extent of our existence, and as a result, I remain open to the possibility of an afterlife, though due to my complete lack of understanding regarding what consciousness and existence even is, I cannot even begin to speculate on what it might be.  Although, if there is an afterlife, I certainly do not believe it would be anything resembling the popular image of "one place for bad people for all eternity, and one place for good people for all eternity", if for no other reason that I do not even believe "good people" and "bad people" exist.

...And that's about the full extent of it, in as few words as I can make it; if you have any labels to apply that encapsulate all of the above, you're welcome to suggest them. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

if you have any labels to apply that encapsulate all of the above, you're welcome to suggest them. :PGabuEx

You're a deist who likes Jesus.

On the existence of an afterlife, I do believe, based on thought experiments like as the ones I presented here a while back, that consciousness cannot be explained or accounted for in its entirety simply through one's physical body, as I do not believe that this sufficiently accounts for the singularity of one's perception of a conscious existence, especially when one has (for example) an identical twin.GabuEx

Did you happen to read my post in that topic? I was a bit late to it admittedly but if you feel that twins should experience the same singular consciousness because they both have the same brain then it might benefit you to read it.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I've only talked about it once with my nephew (16 years old).

Probably seeing what I discussed here on GS, he asked me (suggestively) "you .....dont really care much about religion and stuff right?"

I just told him that I dont believe the Bible is the word of God (even if inspired by him) and that I dont reject the possibility of the existence of a deity at all.

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

My family knows I'm not religious, and my family isn't very religious anyhow. One set of grandparents would probably be dissapointed with the "atheist" status. My family on that side (parents of my father and their relatives) lives mostly in Ohio and I know a couple of them that are profoundly Christian. I don't see them very often, and most of them don't know anything about my family's religious status.

My immediate family probably knows what I think, but I don't discuss it with them.

My friends at school are probably the most numerous to know or hear of my atheism. Majority of the people I know have heard, a few I have discussed with, and three of my friends are atheist themselves. All of whom are far more outspoken about it than I usually am, often referencing their disbelief anytime religious practice is mentioned, save by certain people.

I don't care who knows, besides the older members of my family, who would probably take it badly. But I don't make a point to talk about it, and slowly other people are making less of a point to talk about it with me. There was a time people seemed to find it useful (a novelty, perhaps) to mention my atheism more than necessary, but now it's old hat. 

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts

I have no reason to flaunt the fact that I'm an atheist because it's a small part of who I am. I'm more than happy to discuss why I am an atheist if I'm asked, but I don't behave like an evangelist.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox
*post*

...And that's about the full extent of it, in as few words as I can make it; if you have any labels to apply that encapsulate all of the above, you're welcome to suggest them. :P

GabuEx

Thanks for humouring me. :P

I'd say small "g" gnostic Christian would fit you best. You uphold the central Christian ideal (compassion for all) but are sceptical about the literal state of the Biblical history. You believe in a God and follow the teachings of Jesus (in the best way you can understand them). If anything, you would be the exact kind of "gnostic" that Jeffrey Kripal talks about.

I highly suggest looking into Kripal's work (and what he suggests at the end of "The Serpent's Gift"), because a lot of what you believe fits in very nicely with his idea of (post)modern gnosticism (that is, not Gnosticism within early Christianity, but the search for the actual answers, not just the ones we have written down in our books; the search for the essence of human existence).

I hate to seem like I'm blowing too much smoke up that guy's butt, but his insight has really opened my eyes and shown me that there is definitely more than we might imagine to our existences; one of the main reasons why we don't have all the answers yet. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be something beyond our comprehension, or our natural world.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]*post*

foxhound_fox

Thanks for humouring me. :P

I'd say small "g" gnostic Christian would fit you best. You uphold the central Christian ideal (compassion for all) but are sceptical about the literal state of the Biblical history. You believe in a God and follow the teachings of Jesus (in the best way you can understand them). If anything, you would be the exact kind of "gnostic" that Jeffrey Kripal talks about.

I highly suggest looking into Kripal's work (and what he suggests at the end of "The Serpent's Gift"), because a lot of what you believe fits in very nicely with his idea of (post)modern gnosticism (that is, not Gnosticism within early Christianity, but the search for the actual answers, not just the ones we have written down in our books; the search for the essence of human existence).

I hate to seem like I'm blowing too much smoke up that guy's butt, but his insight has really opened my eyes and shown me that there is definitely more than we might imagine to our existences; one of the main reasons why we don't have all the answers yet. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be something beyond our comprehension, or our natural world.

Any suggestions on where to start?  I do enjoy reading on this topic and have read quite a few books that I considered interesting, so I'd be happy to get another one. 

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I lie about my religious beliefs, even to my family.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

In the UK being an atheist was neither a stigma nor uncommon, the same cannot be said livingin the US. If anyone asks me I usually am very open about it, but I never try to convert or preach at people who believe in something fantastical.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox
Any suggestions on where to start? I do enjoy reading on this topic and have read quite a few books that I considered interesting, so I'd be happy to get another one. GabuEx

I'd say start where I started with "The Serpent's Gift." He does a very good job at outlining his ideas for (post)modern gnosticism and summarizes a lot of perspectives on alternative hermeneutics for many different topics. When it comes to his other two books (Kali's Child and Roads of Excess) they are more concentrated efforts on topics that aren't as broad (especially Kali's Child). Though, I've only just started reading "Kali's Child."
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I'm sure my friends know through Facebook. The only people I've discussed it with in person is my family. I never intentionally talk about it out loud to anybody though.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GabuEx

Hmm, OK, cool, I'll see about picking up The Serpent's Gift. I'll let you know what I think.GabuEx

After getting into it, I'd say Roads of Excess would probably be a better starting point, as The Serpent's Gift is merely an expansion on a single point raised in Roads. Hopefully you can find them at a library, they are expensive books.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
Holy crap, what the hell? That is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. That is an exceptional glitchspot moment... I don't want to alter it so it can be seen by others. I totally just posted as Gabu (from what I can tell).
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx
Well, I'll take my own advice under consideration then. :P