itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

One last topic before my computer time is restricted for school.

As either an atheist or a theist, do you prefer to follow a figurehead's teaching (various "atheist preachers" who rant about atheism, or a pastor/pope) and consider that person as always right? Or do you prefer to interpret things for yourself?

What is your opinion on some of these leaders in belief?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

One last topic before my computer time is restricted for school.

As either an atheist or a theist, do you prefer to follow a figurehead's teaching (various "atheist preachers" who rant about atheism, or a pastor/pope) and consider that person as always right? Or do you prefer to interpret things for yourself?

What is your opinion on some of these leaders in belief?

itsTolkien_time

No, I wouldn't take a single person as a figurehead that I will always agree with.

No woman/man is infallible. And thats the thing: I cant agree 100% with a person.

And I think its wrong when people do it, because they end up destorting their perception in order to not let their logic interfere and actually disagree with said person.

Its just not beneficial for anyone.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Well that depends, I do tend to agree with most of the views the supposed 'figureheads' of atheism (Dawkins, Harris, Dennet, Hitchens etc) hold, but the reason I agree with those views is not because they hold them or that I 'follow' them.

I had come to my own decisions about most things long before I had even heard of those guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I try to listen to ideas, not people.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I take the statements of other humans to be valuable sources for further investigation, but I accept nothing until properly researching the matter and convincing myself that it is true (or false, if the case may be).

As many have so dutifully reminded me in the past, it is better to trust in God than to place confidence in men. :P

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

I try to listen to ideas, not people.

Genetic_Code

This. People are correct or incorrect based on the merits of their argument not on the merits of their personality or social standing.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
The deity I follow told me I to love him with my mind as well as my heart and soul. I take that to mean that he wants me to think for myself. I do look to certain scholars and teachers for guidance and probably always will, but we were born with the ability to think and investigate for a reason: To do so. There's faith, and then there is blind faith. The latter is not a good idea.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I certainly do only interpret things myself.  However, there are certain leaders/pastors who I largely agree with and admire.  I've personally learned a lot from Mark Driscoll, John Piper, and professors and pastors I know personally.  Essentually, when I see someone live like Christ, I take notice.  Do not think I ever blindly follow someone.

Â