Do you think it's OK for a religion to influence laws?

• 41 results
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

You're not getting the hint. You're drawing this out to unnecessary proportions. Ever since you said "Let's drop this", I've wanted to drop it, because this is getting highly annoying. You pick at every irrelevant thing, and it lends nothing to the discussion. Android339

I find your incorrect accusations that I said "let's drop this" amusing.

If you genuinely are trying to drop it, wouldn't the best bet be to just stop posting in this thread?

Why get annoyed, led astray by irrelevences and get trapped in discussions that go nowhere - as you describe it? Where is your own responsibility here?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

I find your incorrect accusations that I said "let's drop this" amusing.

Android339

I find your inability to look at past posts amusing.

Let's drop this. I'm bored with your steadfast refusal to accept the human moral basis for law and your need to tip your hat to all religions for coming up with the same laws we'd have had anyway.

RationalAtheist

If you genuinely are trying to drop it, wouldn't the best bet be to just stop posting in this thread?

RationalAtheist

It would. I guess I'll do that after this.

Why get annoyed, led astray by irrelevences and get trapped in discussions that go nowhere - as you describe it? Where is your own responsibility here?

RationalAtheist

I thought I might be able to help you become aware of your follies, but I see that self awareness is an issue here. I see now, that this is a lost cause, because there is simply no way to get to someone who already thinks that they are always in the right merely because they hide behind the label of "rationalism". Ta ta.

I said "let's drop this" to a specific point I was trying to make that you refused (serially) to accept. I certainly didn't mean it to refer to the entire discussion, since I went on to ask you more questions in that very post, after the bit you quoted.

Don't get too hung up on my username. Rationalism is only a method. I see myself as more of a seeker than a hider.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 RationalAtheist

I didn't serially refuse it, as I explained later, and several times, although you refused to understand that. Android339

I do know exactly where we disagree and I can understand that we do.

And I realize I lied about leaving, but lack of clarity, and misinformation, bugs me to an unreasonable extent.Android339

Is this your own lack of clarity and misinformation you're referring to? If not, don't throw those accusations around without evidence to support them please.

Perhaps leaving would have been the best thing to salve your being unreasonably bugged.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RationalAtheist

I do know exactly where we disagree and I can understand that we do.

Android339

Yet you still maintain that I disagree with you about something that I don't disagree with you about.

Yes - we disagree at the point where one common law suddenly becomes hundreds of the same laws used by religions. I think its still the one law, but you've intimated that the original law is now different somehow, but has commonality with the law its based on. I have said that this common ground between religion and human society is an illusion - the law is the same - stolen and re-purposed by the religious.

We've already discussed this muchly over the past few pages. We even recognised and "agreed" to drop our differences of opinion on that particular issue. Perhaps you were being unclear there, or mis-informing me about that. Personally, I am still interested in bottoming this out...

If you did agree with me, why would there be common laws, rather than just the singular one law that people create and religions inherit?

Is this your own lack of clarity and misinformation you're referring to? If not, don't throw those accusations around without evidence to support them please.

Android339

It's yours, as listed above.

It seems to me that you have more work to do. The lack of clarity sounds like a false claim, since you don't think we do disagree.

Perhaps leaving would have been the best thing to salve your being unreasonably bugged.

Android339

Nahh. In the end, bringing clarity salves the irritation.

Great! Thanks.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 RationalAtheist

Yes - we disagree at the point where one common law suddenly becomes hundreds of the same laws used by religions. I think its still the one law, but you've intimated that the original law is now different somehow, but has commonality with the law its based on. I have said that this common ground between religion and human society is an illusion - the law is the same - stolen and re-purposed by the religious.

Android339

This is evidence that you have entirely missed the point of what I have written. My point, as I have repeated ad nauseum, is that the body of religious law as found in various religious texts is not solely composed of laws that prohibit homosexuality, or anything of that nature. For you to dispute this is to ignore basic fact. Religious law, as found in various religious texts, may or may not be composed of laws which have a secular purpose. You cannot tell me, without being ignorant, that the entirety of religious law, as found in various religious texts, is devoted to prohibiting homosexuality, or anything like that. The very fact that the law is the same is proof if its common ground. The United States, and England, both prohibit murder. It is the same law, but the common ground between both states is that they prohibit murder. It's a very simple concept.

That was not the basis of that particualr disagreement. I have never disputed the extra content of religious law. I have in fact affirmed this. I also don't understand your fixation on homosexuality. I trust you remember I commented on the various views from the church on this issue.

Your next bit, on "common ground" has been agreed by us already - the law is the same law in some instances. These fundamental laws are derived from human origins. My dispute is in your use of "common", which suggests the similar law comes from different origins. Whereas I content that the same law is re-used. Therefore comminality is not remarkable, but evidence of a shared fundamental values system across most religions and cultures instead.

The prohibition of muder is slightly different in the UK (or Europe or Australia), since we don't have a death sentence. The reasoning behind this is not my own, but a shared national and international view against the punishment by death of offenders. You even did concede yourself in this thread that such systems could be defined as murder.

We've already discussed this muchly over the past few pages. We even recognised and "agreed" to drop our differences of opinion on that particular issue. Perhaps you were being unclear there, or mis-informing me about that. Personally, I am still interested in bottoming this out...

Android339

I'm not misinforming you. You're simply not understanding.

How will you know when I do understand? Do you think I'll join the Mormon faith? Perhaps you're worrying once again too much about what I'm thinking, rather than on expressing your own point.

If you did agree with me, why would there be common laws, rather than just the singular one law that people create and religions inherit?

Android339

I'm not talking about any abstract concept here. I'm talking about the secular law as adopted by government, and the religious law as found in various religious texts, and, lo and behold, they contain some of the same laws.

Agreed already (especially since you now use "the same", rather than "in common").

It seems to me that you have more work to do. The lack of clarity sounds like a false claim, since you don't think we do disagree.

Android339

Indeed. It's hard to bring clarity to someone who has already closed his mind.

Indeed - your lack of clarity is a false claim if you do know what I think? Nice of you to admit it! How will you know what I think now I've closed my mind, or can you still see in there ok?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 RationalAtheist

Since you probably need it repeated to you three times: end your little crusade against me. It's only annoying, and you're not looking to learn anything new. This is evident from what you're writing. Good luck in all your future endeavors. =]Android339

There is no crusade - isn't that something Christians do? I'm simply responding to your points.

Once more, you seem to establish my motives to yourself incorrectly. The evidence from my writing includes a vast number of question marks, indicating a desire for answers.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#65 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts
They may have been neccessary or beneficial in history but there is no need for organised religion in the 21st century.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#66 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
Living in Malaysia for 15 years basically makes me want to say "no".
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
in some ways I don't care, but when religion is used to back up xenophobia or to increase the nanny state, I take offense to it . . . so all the anti-gay rights stuff, the prohibition crap (not just alcohol, but drugs and gambling), etc