RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

The new Civilisation game is out soon. I saw a quick look of it that details some of its mechanisms. I think you gain progress with your culture by following various development trees. Previous games used to have a religion tree, but this new one has either "Piety" or "Rationalism" and the quick look mentioned that making either choice locks out any progression down the other one.

So it seems in this simulation at least, the two disciplines are incompatible. 

Civ 5 

I was thinking that this view of how cultures develop is rather enlightened, until I saw numerous quotes from the bible pop up during the game's many loading screens.

Does anyone have experience of playing Civ games, or comments on how religion and science are portrayed in them?

P.S. I did once have one have a go on a Tropico demo, but the first task I was forced to do was build a cathedral. 

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
In the last one, you didn't have to have a state religion, but religion would still spread to your cities. Not adopting a religion actually put you at a disadvantage. It was annoying because AI players would keep offering religion in trades.